Apple announces iPhone 2.0 software and SDK beta

Comments

• Reply 101 of 184
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Look at it its not a 1.1.5 update its a full 2.0 update. So their are very likely to be some significant changes that Apple did not announce yet.

But until then, you're guessing and the original whiner has a point.

One would hope they've significantly updated the software to bring it in line with other phone software. I would presume they've at least got to bring a whole load of updates to Mail just in order to support the features they need for Exchange. I personally hope they're finally adding ToDos, which they'll need for Exchange users.
  • Reply 102 of 184
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALPICH View Post

To answer your points 1 at a time

1) There is still a $99 fee just to allow access to your free software. Check the site:

Standard Program $99

The Standard Program is for developers who are creating free and commercial applications for iPhone and iPod touch.

Ooooh. $99 per dev seat. BFD. Ask me how much my MSDN sub costs me. Heck, free indie game developers pay $99 for their game engines (e.g. GarageGames Torque engine).

Quote:

2) I am suggesting that Apple should find a source of income that is reasonable and stick with that. Don't slug both the creator and user just to access something that will sell more of their devices. Its just plain stupid.

Yes, because testing is free. Deployment is free. Certification is free. No wait. It isn't. And avoidable by paying $299 and self deploying. Have fun with your own promotion, hosting, fees, blah blah. 30% is prefectly reasonable.

Quote:

3) No problem. I am sure I will have frustrations there too. But at least I will be able to compile and upload my own software to my own device without having to pay someone for it.

Oh and you must be right about smoking something. I just didn't realise how many people are willing to be slugged so much so many times. And just incase you are wondering. As a programmer I am unlikely to pay for someone to have access to my free APP over and above what I already have to pay for hosting. Also as a programmer who does actually want to make a living I thought you might want to know that if I did create an app for the iPhone / Touch I would be passing on every bit of the cost Apple was charging me so to put this into perspective I would be raising my intended cost by 30% just to cover Apples 30% (it would actually have to be a little more than 30% because of course Apple would be slugging the 30% I just put on to cover them). Also I am going to work out how many copies of my app I think I will sell and dived the posting fee by that. So my $5 app just became $8.50. I really thought people were a little smarter than this. And again Apple love you.

If you are a developer evidently by your comments you've never come close to being a product manager or actually selling shrink wrap software. 70% of sales revenue is very competitive. Don't quit your day job to be an indie dev.

Oh and genius...there no charge for free apps beyond your $99. No hosting fees. No charges and 30% of $0 revenue is $0. If you can't cough up $99 for a dev kit you aren't serious anyway.
  • Reply 103 of 184
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

I really hope NOT. If Apple are to vet all apps then it will stifle innovation in UI design. You'd not have Delicious Library for instance if they had to stick to the Apple HIG.

Pay $299 and self deploy your "in-house" enterprise app. That's my guess and I think that's what I'm going to get for work. None of our stuff would ever appear on the apple store.
  • Reply 104 of 184
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    ALPICH I really hope you reread this post of yours because there are issues with logic here.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALPICH View Post

To answer your points 1 at a time

1) There is still a $99 fee just to allow access to your free software. Check the site:

Standard Program $99

Frankly I don't think you realize just how good this is. $99 bucks to have Apple handle everything related to the distribution of your software free or not is a very good deal.

Quote:

The Standard Program is for developers who are creating free and commercial applications for iPhone and iPod touch.

(got that at the bottom of http://developer.apple.com/iphone/program/ so I think I can trust it)

2) I am suggesting that Apple should find a source of income that is reasonable and stick with that. Don't slug both the creator and user just to access something that will sell more of their devices. Its just plain stupid.

Do you really believe that at the price of 99 dollars this is going to be a source of income for Apple? No really think about it, frankly it is one of the best deals I've ever seen.

Quote:

3) No problem. I am sure I will have frustrations there too. But at least I will be able to compile and upload my own software to my own device without having to pay someone for it.

I'm not one to knock the Nokia 810 as I looked seriously at the entire Nokia line up, but they made some engineering trade offs I can't deal with. Now I'm not going to sit here and discount writing your own software, as I've done a tiny bit of that myself, but that isn't the market Apple is after. Frankly if you can't see that the devices are targeted to different markets then you will likely have a hard time understanding the value of the program.

Quote:

Oh and you must be right about smoking something. I just didn't realise how many people are willing to be slugged so much so many times. And just incase you are wondering. As a programmer I am unlikely to pay for someone to have access to my free APP over and above what I already have to pay for hosting. Also as a programmer who does actually want to make a living

STOP RIGHT HERE!

This issue of wanting to make a living is what makes the Apple program so attractive to programmers. If you really want to make a living then you have to look at the Apple program as if you where a businessman, doing so you would realize there is a big opportunity here.

Quote:

I thought you might want to know that if I did create an app for the iPhone / Touch I would be passing on every bit of the cost Apple was charging me so to put this into perspective I would be raising my intended cost by 30% just to cover Apples 30% (it would actually have to be a little more than 30% because of course Apple would be slugging the 30% I just put on to cover them).

It might help your case to show a little maturity and expand your vocabulary beyond slugging. In any event of course you will, my good man it is called business. In any event if you don't understand how generous Apple is being with the very low value of 30% then you don't understand distribution.

Quote:

Also I am going to work out how many copies of my app I think I will sell and dived the posting fee by that. So my $5 app just became $8.50. I really thought people were a little smarter than this. And again Apple love you.

The only person that needs to get a little smarter here is the one you see in the mirror. Of course you price your product to cover expenses, that is how everybody in this country makes money. You claim to be a programmer but it is very clear to me that you did not take any business, economics or math sequences. There is really nothing fancy about business, you just need the right product at the right price to attract the customers. Pricing that product though can be very complex if you are trying to grow a business.

Part of the reason you are getting such harsh responses from the collective here is that you claim to want to make money. Well that is all well and good but then you take a position that would leave you in an environment where it wouldn't be possible. If you want to make money programming you have to hang up the programmers hat from time to time and put on the businessman's hat.

Dave
  • Reply 105 of 184
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhowarth View Post

Any word on whether apps will have access to Bluetooth?

A very good question - Thank You!

I have a few app ideas that really could make use of Bluetooth. More so it needs to be a complete Bluetooth. Or at least a BlueTooth that supports a few more profiles than what Apple currently supports.

Dave
  • Reply 106 of 184
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

But until then, you're guessing and the original whiner has a point.

Lets remember this when Apple releases 2.0.
  • Reply 107 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Part of the reason you are getting such harsh responses from the collective here is that you claim to want to make money. Well that is all well and good but then you take a position that would leave you in an environment where it wouldn't be possible. If you want to make money programming you have to hang up the programmers hat from time to time and put on the businessman's hat.

http://mooseyard.com/Jens/2008/03/th...¢-iphone-apps/

Here is an excellent and thoughtful analysis of the whole App Store concept from the mindset of someone who is both a developer AND a businessman. Since our whiner fancies himself to be a developer but has no apparently chops for business, preferring instead to focus on the $99 price of admittance and the 30% take to Apple, the article above has a good chance of snapping on some light switches.

Good quote:

So assume you spent some evenings and weekends writing a cool little utility or game. You submit it to the App Store and set the price at $1.43. You get $1 of pure, unadulterated profit from every user of the app. No bandwidth costs, no fees to PayPal or Kagi, no postage, no packaging, no extortionate demands by distributors and retailers to get shelf space. And note I said Â?from every userÂ? Â? itÂ?s not just from the one or two percent of users who actually bother to pay shareware fees.

I think thatÂ?s a pretty good proposition. By the time the App Store goes live, Steve promises us there will be ten million iPhones in the world. If a tenth of a percent of them impulse-purchase your $1.43 app, thatÂ?s $100,000. You could live off that. Even if itÂ?s only a hundredth of a percent (one in ten thousand), you make $10,000 off your little hobby and can buy some nice toys for yourself (and for your significant other, as compensation for the time you spent ignoring them.)

Facts can be one's friend, and clear-headed thinking will rarely lead one astray. Instead of looking for reasons to complain about the App Store arrangement, it might make more sense to strategize how to earn some decent money for one's programming efforts. That sounds a lot more enriching than lobbing rocks (with horrible aim, BTW) and whining to no good effect.
  • Reply 108 of 184
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by George Kaplan View Post

By the time the App Store goes live, Steve promises us there will be ten million iPhones in the world.

Did Jobs state that they plan to have 10M units sold by June?
  • Reply 109 of 184
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Oh and genius...there no charge for free apps beyond your $99. No hosting fees. No charges and 30% of $0 revenue is $0. If you can't cough up $99 for a dev kit you aren't serious anyway.

Yeah right.

Just like iTools was free. Once Apple hooks people in, expect price increases, expect Apple to take a bigger share, and expect to get f'd over. Typically Apple.
  • Reply 110 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Did Jobs state that they plan to have 10M units sold by June?

The stated goal from Day 1 of the introduction has been to sell 10M in the first year. Whether the company makes it is another story, but certainly with a new, 3G model and Enterprise adopting the iPhone in quantity, this is certainly attainable by end of the year, if not sooner.

To my knowledge, there is no cell phone in the history of the industry which has sold in the quantity comparable to the iPhone in a similar introduction period. The very idea that Apple is selling more phones with a single model deployed over a single carrier than other brands are with multiple models over multiple carriers is mind-bottling.

Whether or not there are 10M in use by the end of June, it will be an extraordinarily deep pool of users for a developer to fish in.
  • Reply 111 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Yeah right.

Just like iTools was free. Once Apple hooks people in, expect price increases, expect Apple to take a bigger share, and expect to get f'd over. Typically Apple.

Thanks, Sunshine. Maybe one day you'll realize the money Apple plans to make from this venture has nothing to do with the 30%, (which most likely doesn't cover the costs of administration, bandwidth, checking the app for wholesomeness, etc.), but instead is about driving more consumers to buy the iPhone, which means more monthly revenue from AT&T. If you really need an illustration, look up "King Gillette".

Your comment reminds me of one made by Davey Johnson, when he managed the Reds and had a sulking shortstop:

"If you gave him a $20 bill, he'd complain it wasn't a ten and ten ones."
  • Reply 112 of 184
    Quote:

The stated goal from Day 1 of the introduction has been to sell 10M in the first year.

Whether that referred to 10M units in the calendar of 2008 or a total number for 2007 until the end the end of 2008 is still under debate, but I have read no evidence nor recall Jobs or anyone from Apple stating that they will plan to sell 10M units in exactly one year from the launch date.

If you have evidence to support your claim please present it, not that we need another argument here at AI.
  • Reply 113 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Frankly I don't think you realize just how good this is. $99 bucks to have Apple handle everything related to the distribution of your software free or not is a very good deal.

Although it is $99 more than Google Code or Sourceforge.net.

The $99 deal is damned good if you want to sell closed source apps. It's not so good if you have an open source model.
  • Reply 114 of 184
    Quote:

The stated goal from Day 1 of the introduction has been to sell 10M in the first year. Whether the company makes it is another story, but certainly with a new, 3G model and Enterprise adopting the iPhone in quantity, this is certainly attainable by end of the year, if not sooner.

No, the plan is 10 million in 2008.

Quote:

To my knowledge, there is no cell phone in the history of the industry which has sold in the quantity comparable to the iPhone in a similar introduction period. The very idea that Apple is selling more phones with a single model deployed over a single carrier than other brands are with multiple models over multiple carriers is mind-bottling.

And totally not true. IIRC RIM sold 12M blackberries in the same quarter Apple sold <4M and Nokia sold 134M phones.

Quote:

Whether or not there are 10M in use by the end of June, it will be an extraordinarily deep pool of users for a developer to fish in.

They're not planning to hit 10M by June. It's 10M in 2008, ie. from Jan 1st 2008 to the end of 2008. However, there will be a decent sized pool of developers because traditionally Apple has attracted the small indie developers that can live off a small market. That's how it works with Macs and that's how it'll work with iPhone. It's very important to the success of the iPhone OS that it's almost an easy shoe-in for Mac OS developers to use the same tools and API as they're used to. Developing for other mobile platforms requires new tools and entirely new APIs.
  • Reply 115 of 184
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:

Facts can be one's friend, and clear-headed thinking will rarely lead one astray. Instead of looking for reasons to complain about the App Store arrangement, it might make more sense to strategize how to earn some decent money for one's programming efforts. That sounds a lot more enriching than lobbing rocks (with horrible aim, BTW) and whining to no good effect.

Facts are one's best friend --- except that this guy couldn't do simple math. A tenth of 1 percent of a 10 million users at $1.43 = $10,000, not $100,000.

The problem is that developers on other mobile phone platforms get a larger revenue share. Since the beginning (all the way back in 2001), BREW developers gets a 80% revenue share.

http://wbt.sys-con.com/read/40914.htm

Sure it cost about $1000 for BREW testing and $400 for a BREW digital certificate --- but you can get it back in the end with a 80% revenue share instead of 70%.
  • Reply 116 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

Sure it cost about $1000 for BREW testing and $400 for a BREW digital certificate --- but you can get it back in the end with a 80% revenue share instead of 70%.

Out of curiosity, how many BREW developers are there? How applications are there? How many of these developers are supplying free apps?

The low price for developer support and the ease at which apps can be had will undoubtedly help to sell even more devices (which is beneficial to both Apple and the developer's desire to have as many potential customers as possible). We can squabble about which method is more profitable to a developer but you can't argue that Apple's approach is more beneficial to the end user. Especially since, even as Jobs stated, there will be a glut of free apps for the platform.
  • Reply 117 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Whether that referred to 10M units in the calendar of 2008 or a total number for 2007 until the end the end of 2008 is still under debate, but I have read no evidence nor recall Jobs or anyone from Apple stating that they will plan to sell 10M units in exactly one year from the launch date.

If you have evidence to support your claim please present it, not that we need another argument here at AI.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/news.h...VzaWFzdCwsLDE=

Steve Jobs, speaking at Apple?s shareholder meeting, reiterated the company?s goal to sell 10 million iPhones by the end of the year.
  • Reply 118 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

And totally not true. IIRC RIM sold 12M blackberries in the same quarter Apple sold <4M and Nokia sold 134M phones.

A single model? They sold 12M Pearls?
  • Reply 119 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

Facts are one's best friend --- except that this guy couldn't do simple math. A tenth of 1 percent of a 10 million users at $1.43 = $10,000, not $100,000.

You're right, of course. That doesn't change the fact that some weekend and night work which for many is a labor of love and a personal challenge can still reap tremendous benefits.
  • Reply 120 of 184
    Quote:

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/news.h...VzaWFzdCwsLDE=

Steve Jobs, speaking at Apple?s shareholder meeting, reiterated the company?s goal to sell 10 million iPhones by the end of the year.

I see. You are misinterpreting "end of the year" to mean "end of the first year of sales" and not the "end of 2008". There is plenty of evidence that supports the latter.