iPhone SDK evidence Apple has learned from past mistakes

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 111
    csimmonscsimmons Posts: 100member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

I have not yet watch the keynote. I will though.

Historically, Apple wrote off the enterprise and the enterprise knows this. Their lack of any business sales strategy, their focus on consumer computers/gadgets, misdirected business software (FileMaker Pro and WebObjects) all contributed to this.

Now we are expected to believe Apple is going to get serious about the enterprise because of the iPhone.

Quite frankly, the SDK should have been made for Windows as well. If Apple is truly serious about the enterprise they need to do this (while they are at it, they also need to license out Mac OS X Server). I work in IT in an all Windows shop. People outside of IT don't realize how embedded the business world is with Windows...

I see the initial cost of iPhone development very prohibitive. You need to buy a iPhone, Mac, XCODE training (if there is even such a thing), maybe a XSERVE for deployment testing. Seems quite of a lot money just to test out an idea. You better have one hell of an idea.

Microsoft is pushing their Windows Mobile platform on your choice of hardware that interfaces very nicely with Visual Studio, .NET, Windows 2003 Server and other related enterprise products (e.g., SQL Server, Exchange, etc.).

Can Apple compete with this?

The so-called "choice of hardware" argument used by WM fans is getting really long in the tooth.

Apple already has 28% of the US smartphone market with just 1 device on 1 carrier and without any enterprise-ready features, and attained that share within a year of availablility. The iPhone is already competing with Windows Mobile, and doing extremely well at it.

You make it sound as if WM is somehow ubiquitous in the business world, where it clearly is not. Ask RIM

If the iPhone enterprise features work as well in the wild as they did in the Phil Schiller Demo, Mobile OSX will wipe the floor with Windows Mobile before the end of the year.
  • Reply 102 of 111
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by csimmons View Post

The so-called "choice of hardware" argument used by WM fans is getting really long in the tooth.

Apple already has 28% of the US smartphone market with just 1 device on 1 carrier and without any enterprise-ready features, and attained that share within a year of availablility. The iPhone is already competing with Windows Mobile, and doing extremely well at it.

You make it sound as if WM is somehow ubiquitous in the business world, where it clearly is not. Ask RIM

If the iPhone enterprise features work as well in the wild as they did in the Phil Schiller Demo, Mobile OSX will wipe the floor with Windows Mobile before the end of the year.

It doesn't have 28% of the US smartphone market. It has a 28% market share of the most recent quarter.

And really that is also wrong as well --- because out of the 2+ million iphone sold in the last quarter, only 900K are actually with AT&T. If there are over 400K iphones in China --- then you know that the 28% number are so wrong.
  • Reply 103 of 111
    gmon750gmon750 Posts: 39member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

Yes, Gramps, it's all these darn spoiled kids... The future looks dark... In our day yada yada yada...

Give me a fricken break. Obviously the anger over the iPod touch issue is very simple and has nothing to do with an "entitlement" attitude of any generation. See if you can follow along with me. I'll even use bullets to make it concise for your old senile memory.

1) The Iphone and correspondingly the Ipod Touch were repeatedly represented as devices whose functionality can grow over time through firmware updates.

2) Firmware updates for nearly every other popular consumer electronics device have been free of charge, and NOT JUST bug fixes, but new functionality added. Think computer hardware driver updates, game console firmware, and even personal media player firmware updates. A few recent examples would be the Playstation 3 receiving an update to it's Blu-ray profile and media playing capability. The first generation Zune players received the second generation's user interface and functionality. There are many, many more examples I'm sure.

3) The iPhone itself receives these firmware updates free of charge.

Unbelievable the level of self-entitlement and ignorance you have.

The updates to the iPhone are not "Free-of-charge" per se. The money I pay every month to use my iPhone legitimately is why apple provides these updates. I AM PAYING for the privilege of having these updates included as part of my subscription plan. Get a clue!

The iTouch while similar to the iPhone in many aspects, is in its original form, a music/video player. That is why Apple charges for updates to people that want to expand the device. If I don't want the ability to do additional stuff outside of music/video, then what I pay at the apple store for the unit itself is the only charge I will have for it. You want more stuff, you pay more for it. But don't penalize the majority iTouch owners that don't give a rats-a** about using it as a PDA and therefore, should not pay a higher retail price and/or subscription to expand it.

Your whining about charging for iTouch updates most likely stems from you hoping to pay less money for an iTouch than you would an iPhone and try installing applications to make it behave more like an iPhone. These two devices serve different purposes.

Is whining something that was learned for you or was it an inherited trait?

*sheesh*... just get over it will you? You are not entitled to ANYTHING for free!
  • Reply 104 of 111
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Quite frankly, the SDK should have been made for Windows as well. If Apple is truly serious about the enterprise they need to do this

Why? The iPhone runs OSX. The SDK is built around Xcode. You can get an iMac for $1500 (EDIT: and I forgot about the Mini - even cheaper)- if that's too much for you to commit to writing an App for the iPhone, you probably weren't a serious developer in the first place.

Quote:

(while they are at it, they also need to license out Mac OS X Server)

Maybe. But then again, part of the reason OSX server "just works" is Apple controls the hardware and the server - to me that is worth something. And for those whining about "single vendor sourcing" - Sun doesn't seem to have any problem in the Enterprise (we have plenty of Sun/Solaris hardware running around).

Quote:

I work in IT in an all Windows shop. People outside of IT don't realize how embedded the business world is with Windows...

And Unix, and Linux (esp. with servers). What's your point? Despite MS's frantic attempts to stamp out other technology, enterprise networks are still mixed. We have more Mac's now then ever, and they are expanding (trending with general increases in Mac market share). In some business it will never change - they will always be Windows only or predominantly Windows. Frankly I don't think that bothers Apple - they aren't worried about outright domination, they are concerned with focusing on the total user experience. If they keep up at it, outright domination will happen naturally The won't have to buy and bully themselves into the top position like MS has. In the real long term, the MS model isn't sustainable - probably a reason their stock has been flat the last 7 or so years.

If you make products people want - heck they even actively seek out, details like market share take care of them self (kind of like what is happening now).

Quote:

I see the initial cost of iPhone development very prohibitive. You need to buy a iPhone, Mac, XCODE training (if there is even such a thing), maybe a XSERVE for deployment testing. Seems quite of a lot money just to test out an idea. You better have one hell of an idea.

Now this is a laugh. The costs of tools are the smallest costs for ANY development project. Labor is where the action is at.

Compared to the simplicity of the OSX development environment - just about seamless across the desktop, server and now mobile devices - the Windows Mobile world is a nightmare.

Here's what I think is going to happen: the iPhone/iPod touch platform is going to be so compelling, tons of developers who wouldn't have used a Mac in the past will pick one up to develop for the iPhone/iPod touch. And then when the get a taste of the Apple environment, a percentage of them will start kicking out software for the Desktop and Server Mac's.

Oops, another genie that MS has no control over out of the bottle...

Quote:

Microsoft is pushing their Windows Mobile platform on your choice of hardware that interfaces very nicely with Visual Studio, .NET, Windows 2003 Server and other related enterprise products (e.g., SQL Server, Exchange, etc.).

Hmm, how long has MS been pushing Windows Mobile (and pushing is a good word - very few people really want it)? What's their percentage vs. the iPhone that was just released? By the end of this year, the numbers should be very interesting.

Also, most of that WM hardware is crap - slow, bulky, piss poor battery life... And worse still, the device makers are responsible for the phone app (there's that much-vaunted MS consistency [that was sarcasm for the impaired]) and many of them don't have a clue. My Treo is absolutely horrid on the phone features. Hello, it's a flipping phone! The call management should be flawless, not a hassle! I weep for the day I let Sprint swap out my HTC 6700 for this POS Treo

Quote:

Can Apple compete with this?

They already have - and they haven't even gotten started. They are so far ahead of Windows Mobile (software and hardware wise) it isn't even funny. With version 2 of the firmware, all objections that we would have had are gone (as long as IBM ships the Notes connector they talked about at Lotusphere)

To me, the real sleeper is going to be the iPod touch. PDA? What's that. Now if they just made an iPod Touch that had a screen twice the width of the one it has now. Would be like one of those tablets from star trek....
  • Reply 105 of 111
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

No. I know the update coming in June is not a new phone. I was simply referring to the fact that historically Apple doesn't let anyone know of when new products or product updates are on the way.

Actually, if you are a corporate customer and have an NDA with them, you can get a product road map out of them.

Just like with any other vendor. I know where IBM, Dell, Gateway, Toshiba, Apple and others are going - because we have enterprise contracts with all of those vendors.

I can't comment on any of their plans, though
  • Reply 106 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmon750 View Post

Unbelievable the level of self-entitlement and ignorance you have.

The updates to the iPhone are not "Free-of-charge" per se. The money I pay every month to use my iPhone legitimately is why apple provides these updates. I AM PAYING for the privilege of having these updates included as part of my subscription plan. Get a clue!

The iTouch while similar to the iPhone in many aspects, is in its original form, a music/video player. That is why Apple charges for updates to people that want to expand the device. If I don't want the ability to do additional stuff outside of music/video, then what I pay at the apple store for the unit itself is the only charge I will have for it. You want more stuff, you pay more for it. But don't penalize the majority iTouch owners that don't give a rats-a** about using it as a PDA and therefore, should not pay a higher retail price and/or subscription to expand it.

Your whining about charging for iTouch updates most likely stems from you hoping to pay less money for an iTouch than you would an iPhone and try installing applications to make it behave more like an iPhone. These two devices serve different purposes.

Is whining something that was learned for you or was it an inherited trait?

*sheesh*... just get over it will you? You are not entitled to ANYTHING for free!

Ignorant? hahaah. It kills me how many moronic people use that word in any given situation as some sort of insult or something, without regards to it's actual meaning.

If you spent less time spewing insults and more time on reading comprehension, you would see that your petty insults are completely off-base and just straight idiotic. I'm serious.. literally, take a break from your bingo session and go actually READ my original post. You can read, can't you?

Now tell me, where did I ever state I WAS PERSONALLY COMPLAINING about the IPod touch app charges, or for that matter, that I even owned an IPod?

I was simply providing a rational argument that someone could make for why certain iPod touch owners would be upset.

Aside from the senile rambling, you completely failed in your attempt to provide logical counters point to the arguments I was making.

Quote:

"The money I pay every month to use my iPhone legitimately is why apple provides these updates... I AM PAYING for the privilege of having these updates included as part

of my subscription plan"

What are you talking about? The relationship you have with Apple is entirely seperate from the relationship Apple has with the carriers. Apple's negotiated revenue sharing

deal with AT&T is completely irrelevant to Apple providing customers with free iPhone firmware updates. You are creating a relationship that doesn't exist in reality. You are just totally assuming that this is Apple's perspective; They have never said anything to that effect.

I have to assume the other points I made in the original post aren't being contested as you've written nothing of substance to the contrary. I'm not sure if you were responding to my post because you actually had something intelligent to add or you just wanted to impart some ill will since I called you grandpa.

Let's recap:

* The Iphone and correspondingly the Ipod Touch were repeatedly represented as devices whose functionality can grow over time through firmware updates.

* Firmware updates for nearly every other popular consumer electronics device have been free of charge, and NOT JUST bug fixes, but new functionality added. Think computer hardware driver updates, game console firmware, and even personal media player firmware updates. A few recent examples would be the Playstation 3 receiving an update to it's Blu-ray profile and media playing capability. The first generation Zune players received the second generation's user interface and functionality. There are many, many more examples I'm sure.

Quote:

Get over it? Get over what? Hahaha. As i said above, I am just putting forward a rational argument, I never claimed I was even personally affected by this issue. I think you need to "get over" the fact that you are wrong, and just accept it.
  • Reply 107 of 111
    csimmonscsimmons Posts: 100member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

It doesn't have 28% of the US smartphone market. It has a 28% market share of the most recent quarter.

And really that is also wrong as well --- because out of the 2+ million iphone sold in the last quarter, only 900K are actually with AT&T. If there are over 400K iphones in China --- then you know that the 28% number are so wrong.

So how big is the installed user base of RIM and MS in the smartphone market. Probably not as big as you would like to believe.

The number of AT&T activations in this case is irrelevant. The hardware sale is the relevant number. Also, the number of unlocked phones in China has nothing to do with the iPhone's US marketshare. The 28% figure is the market share number as of Q4, but it indicates a trend. In Q3 (the first full quarter of iPhone sales) it reached 19.2%, and in Q2 it was 0%. The stats show that the iPhone will continue to take market share and eventually overtake RIM in the US. The forthcoming 2.0 software will only speed that up.
  • Reply 108 of 111
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:

So how big is the installed user base of RIM and MS in the smartphone market. Probably not as big as you would like to believe.

The number of AT&T activations in this case is irrelevant. The hardware sale is the relevant number. Also, the number of unlocked phones in China has nothing to do with the iPhone's US marketshare. The 28% figure is the market share number as of Q4, but it indicates a trend. In Q3 (the first full quarter of iPhone sales) it reached 19.2%, and in Q2 it was 0%. The stats show that the iPhone will continue to take market share and eventually overtake RIM in the US. The forthcoming 2.0 software will only speed that up.

I am confused, you say that activations mean nothing and hardware is king, but that the Chinese handset are irrelevant? Didn't these same handsets in China originally come from the US?

Apple's market share is not guaranteed simply because the other heavier players in the game, i.e. Nokia, SE, Samsung have not release similar products. Apple is getting a free ride because their competition is either sleeping, or heavily into R&D to match the TS UI which is really all the iPhone is: an iPod Touch with telephony features. It will be interesting to see how Apple stacks up against the real phone makers once they release their products. A potential problem to Apple will be Amazon and its music store. Cheaper, DRM-free, higher bit rate songs are what people are looking for. My musical purchases has shifted dramatically from iTunes to Amazon. The download software is just as easy to use and their catalog is almost as extensive. Combine this with Nokia's newly released media synchronization software, and their OVI music service, they will have a product that will have the POTENTIAL to rival Apple.

You are correct about Apple overtaking RIM and really who cares. I work for the State Department where everyone is issued a BB when available. The ones I have seen are sitting in the draw as most don't like them or say they have to many network problems. RIM was successful in fighting off a push from Nokia to be in the BB Connect market for govt services. All BB Connect capable phones are just as easy to use and in some cases offer more functionality than BB's.
  • Reply 109 of 111
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:

How do you know that all the iphones sold in the US --- stays in the US?

iPhones that are sold in the US and stays in the US --- are the only ones that should be counted in the US market share data.

American iphones are the source of all iphones worldwide (because the iphone retail price in Europe is higher). If the American iphones were bought up to be exported outside the US, then they are not American market shares.
  • Reply 110 of 111
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

If Apple released the iPhone SDK for Windows what harm could have come out of it? Less Mac's sold in the enterprise realm? Guess what they weren't being sold to begin with. I would like to see the market research that suggests that Windows shops will buy Macs just to try out a free development tool.

This would be a colossally bad business decision. Microsoft does nothing to help software development on the Mac. Why should Apple freely give so much of its work to Windows developers, who then would certainly not have to contribute development to the Mac. That would be stupid.

Apple will and should use this new platform to help grow the Macintosh software development ecosystem.

Quote:

Remember, Apple would not be in the position they are in if they never offered the iPod to Windows users. Even today, I would bet that Apple sells upwards of 90% of its iPods to Windows users not Mac users.

The iPod and iTunes had nothing to do with building software development ecosystem. These are products sold directly to consumers. The iPhone and Touch can be used on Windows the same way.

Quote:

Safari for Windows was released not for consumer browsing but for business applications.

How and why exactly would business use Safari for applications?

Safari for Windows was largely released to give everybody another alternative to Internet Explorer. But I think mostly its used by web developers to easily test on a standards compliant browser.

Quote:

I really don't think that many people aren't going to buy a Mac just to play with the iPhone SDK.

No not only for the iPhone SDK itself. But it will help push over fence sitters and it will bring more developers to the Mac.
  • Reply 111 of 111
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

The Iphone and correspondingly the Ipod Touch were repeatedly represented as devices whose functionality can grow over time through firmware updates.

Apple never specified these updates will be free of charge.

Quote:

Firmware updates for nearly every other popular consumer electronics device have been free of charge, and NOT JUST bug fixes, but new functionality added. Think computer hardware driver updates, game console firmware, and even personal media player firmware updates. A few recent examples would be the Playstation 3 receiving an update to it's Blu-ray profile and media playing capability. The first generation Zune players received the second generation's user interface and functionality. There are many, many more examples I'm sure.

You are throwing out a lot of blanket examples. Most of these things were done for various different reasons and the companies likely accounted for them in various different ways.

The last update for the touch that Apple charged was not simply updating firmware/fix bugs. It installed new applications that the Touch did not previously have. The next update will more than likely add even more functionality and applications than what the touch has now. If Apple wants to charge for that they are free to. If you don't like it you don't have to buy it.