Sun plans Java for iPhone, iPod touch

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 85
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't think it's necessarily the best thing if a Windows dev programs for the phone without being immersed in how Apple UIs and such are done.

Thank you, that's exactly the point here. What people are really saying is that they want the SDK for Windows but what they are actually asking for is to have the Xcode development tools ported to run on Vista (even though they might not realize it). Even if that were possible, there would be this natural tendency for Windows widgets instead of making OS X type applications. As a Windows Mobile user (its my work phone) let me be the first to say "no thanks".
  • Reply 82 of 85
    This would open up the door to mobile developers everywhere for apps for this device. Seeing an earlier comment on the bloat of Java. My reply to this is If Sun can squeeze Java onto SunSPOT (which is an awesome product) surly somthing can be done for the iTouch. Apple is not very forthcoming with their SDK, it only works on Leopard. I cant afford a mac, they are over priced. If Apple would open up a bit there would reely neat apps for it. I am currently evaluating the product as a business solution but Apples door remains firmly closed. Come on apple the 80s are over.....

regards AppleKor
  • Reply 83 of 85
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleKor View Post

This would open up the door to mobile developers everywhere for apps for this device. Seeing an earlier comment on the bloat of Java. My reply to this is If Sun can squeeze Java onto SunSPOT (which is an awesome product) surly somthing can be done for the iTouch. Apple is not very forthcoming with their SDK, it only works on Leopard. I cant afford a mac, they are over priced. If Apple would open up a bit there would reely neat apps for it. I am currently evaluating the product as a business solution but Apples door remains firmly closed.

Does MS port .NET to Win98 or OS X or Linux? Of course not. Why would Apple spend so much time and effort to make a port for an SDK to other OSes when the iPhone and iPod Touch OS is 10.5 under the hood.

I don't think i would trust a developer who can't afford $500 for a Mac Mini to code on. It seems the status symbol aspect of Apple makes people want to up-sell themselves until they can't afford it instead of just buying what is needed. Any halfway decent iPhone app would easily recoup the cost of your HW.
  • Reply 84 of 85
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Thank you, that's exactly the point here. What people are really saying is that they want the SDK for Windows but what they are actually asking for is to have the Xcode development tools ported to run on Vista (even though they might not realize it). Even if that were possible, there would be this natural tendency for Windows widgets instead of making OS X type applications. As a Windows Mobile user (its my work phone) let me be the first to say "no thanks".

I'm not so sure that could happen. Windows developers would still have to hew to the restrictions on the GUI and other internal limitations of the iPhone. They couldn't do anything that different.

For example, the Windows-like skin for the iPhone that's now out looks somewhat like Win Mobile, but doesn't function like Win Mobile. Under that odd exterior is still an iPhone.
  • Reply 85 of 85
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleKor View Post

This would open up the door to mobile developers everywhere for apps for this device. Seeing an earlier comment on the bloat of Java. My reply to this is If Sun can squeeze Java onto SunSPOT (which is an awesome product) surly somthing can be done for the iTouch. Apple is not very forthcoming with their SDK, it only works on Leopard. I cant afford a mac, they are over priced. If Apple would open up a bit there would reely neat apps for it. I am currently evaluating the product as a business solution but Apples door remains firmly closed. Come on apple the 80s are over.....

regards AppleKor

You could always buy a used machine. you don't need a hell of a lot of processing power to do this. Also, if you're planing to market software, the cost of the developmental machine is the least area of cost you will have, and it will last for years. Thats no excuse. You're only talking about maybe $400. If you can't afford (or refuse to spend) that much more for a new machine, how serious are you really?