Mac OS X 10.6 - What will they call it? And what will it have?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    On the server side I'm picking we'll see Apple build on iCal Server and finally provide a full answer to Microsoft Exchange Server.
  • Reply 22 of 65
    hirobohirobo Posts: 5member
    Thats genius. I just took out my old Powerbook that still had Panther on it and I DID find a tiger image. So far, the pattern you suggested goes back to 10.3. Sadly, I seem to have lost my 10.2 discs so can anyone else help us out and see if this pattern goes back any further? I think there is a good chance that ActionJaxon figured out the name for 10.6

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ActionJaxon View Post

The ONLY reason I suggested Zebra is this... Within the Nature images preindtalled in 10.4 Tiger there was a background image of Leopard spots, I found this purely coincidental, now I may have imagined this bit but I thought I saw a Tiger stripes background amongst the images in Panther too, and in Leopard theres a Zebra striped image. Can anyone confirm firstly if Pather does include a Tiger image, and if so does the pattern continue backwards? Ie - a Panther image within Jaguar etc?

As for box art - the Leopard box art wasn't Leopardy in any way. Maybe Zebra will have a picture of the moon surface on it?

I agree. Sometime in the middle of 2009 will be the first time we hear the name for 10.6

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

Yeah, not too much pressure on Apple to release next version. Up to 10.4 it was all about making the OS usable and fast enough, 10.5 was to stay one step ahead of ms, now they are one step ahead of ms, no real rush to get that second step ahead...

• Reply 23 of 65
    I think 10.6 will be called Pussy Cat
  • Reply 24 of 65
    I thawt a taw a putty cat
  • Reply 25 of 65
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    OS X 10. 6 -- Carbon Free.
  • Reply 26 of 65
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Why did they change this from Future hardware to future products? This forum is going to be a shambles.
  • Reply 27 of 65
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    I'm putting my money on Ocelot too

or how about 10.6 LOLCat - KTHXBAI
  • Reply 28 of 65
    I think they might drop the cat names and go to a space theme.
  • Reply 29 of 65
    Well its either Lynx or Cougar and the last OS X will be Lion
  • Reply 30 of 65
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Isomorphic View Post

All this talk of resolution independence, and we had Display PostScript and NeWS decades ago.

I cannot imagine why that technology only made it through to Mac OS X in muted form (Quartz 2D)--other than licensing issues. They had to have known the direction monitors were going in, and could have predicted the need for a resolution-independent UI.

Everyone in software engineering at NeXT knew of the need for Resolution Independence, but the hardware wasn't fast enough then.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ActionJaxon View Post

10.6 in Jan? Theres a chance we might know its name by then I guess, but it'll be 2010 at the earliest before we get our hands on of me thinks

I expect the name of 10.6 will be announced at WWDC 2008. If we're lucky, we might see the release at WWDC 2009.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

... support for blueray (if not provided by a leopard update).

Support for BluRay is just a driver. It will probably be in 10.3 or 10.4.
  • Reply 31 of 65
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

Tabby.

And what exactly is this fourth dimension? Because if it's a typo, we already have a 3D Dock. Unless you mean true 3D, which would require a holographic projector. And somehow, I don't think the Doc wants to spare his mobile emitter...

The fourth dimension is the RDF of course!
  • Reply 32 of 65
    Does anyone have a machine with 10.2 installed, and if so, can you confirm there is an image of a panther in it?
  • Reply 33 of 65
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Shouldn't this be in the Mac OS forum? This has nothing to do with Future Hardware.
  • Reply 34 of 65
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Everyone in software engineering at NeXT knew of the need for Resolution Independence, but the hardware wasn't fast enough then.

I expect the name of 10.6 will be announced at WWDC 2008. If we're lucky, we might see the release at WWDC 2009.

Support for BluRay is just a driver. It will probably be in 10.3 or 10.4.

For those who didn't received it, here is the text of this year WWDC invitation:

Quote:

A landmark event. In more ways than one.

Everything Mac. Everything iPhone. San Francisco, June 9-13, 2008.

With the development opportunities of the iPhone platform added to those of Mac OS X Leopard, this year's Apple Worldwide Developers Conference promises to be the most exciting, informative conference ever. Don't miss this chance to see the latest technology and meet the engineers behind the two most innovative platforms for your creativity.

More here

Three chapters: iPhone, Mac and IT.
  • Reply 35 of 65
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    Replaces HFS with SUNs ZDF file system.
  • Reply 36 of 65
    durandaldurandal Posts: 277member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MissKitty View Post

Does anyone have a machine with 10.2 installed, and if so, can you confirm there is an image of a panther in it?

No "Panther" image in the Jaguar installation package, sorry - actually I also checked the 10.1.2, 10.1.0 and 10.0.0 Installation CDs, but there was no "fur" image at all.

And yes, I had a little bit too much free time today
  • Reply 37 of 65
    lugesmlugesm Posts: 12member
    Resolution Independence . . . . . PLEASE ! \
  • Reply 38 of 65
    www. I'm still holding out for Zebra tho
  • Reply 39 of 65
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    OS X Pink Panther is the internal name.
  • Reply 40 of 65
    i know this is a waaaaaays down the road, but once OS 10 is done, what will apple call the operating system? OSXI ? We've all relied on calling it OSX, but I've thought of this a few too many times.. I hope they don't try to reinvent the wheel and pull a Vista.