MacBook Pro 20-inch

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I was reading about HP's new 20-inch notebook, and I wondered if Apple would follow suit?



I certainly be interested in a 20-inch notebook, complete with two SATA drives ? it would be ideal for my line of work!
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 28
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    That'd be fugly and huge. People already complain that the 17" is to big.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    sennensennen Posts: 1,465member
    i don't get why ppl would complain that the 17" is too big? do they want a 16"??



    imo, just having spent 2 days editing on a hi-res 17", it is fantastic. the extra real estate (coupled with spaces) makes it a great portable edit station as there is -almost- no need for a second display.



    i wouldn't complain about a 20", but don't really see the point of one - it would be a desktop replacement, and the 20" imac already does that (and wouldn't be much less portable!).
  • Reply 3 of 28
    bobertoqbobertoq Posts: 172member
    oh wow.... now all we need is that 30" LED laptop that fits right in your trunk.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I just saw one of the 20" HPs in at PC World and it's pretty impressive. If it were a Mac, it would suit my line of work perfectly!



    I think I might hold off on purchased a high res. 17" MacBook Pro for the time being...
  • Reply 5 of 28
    i don't think apple will go 20" because I don't think a lot of people want a 20"
  • Reply 6 of 28
    pbpb Posts: 4,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post


    I was reading about HP's new 20-inch notebook, and I wondered if Apple would follow suit?



    20" notebooks are not a new affair. I remember having seen some model (probably HP again) one or maybe two years before.



    While Apple was the one that initiated the big (17") notebooks, for some reason it remained there. Sounds normal, typical Apple.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post


    I just saw one of the 20" HPs in at PC World and it's pretty impressive. If it were a Mac, it would suit my line of work perfectly!



    I think I might hold off on purchased a high res. 17" MacBook Pro for the time being...



    What about the HDX would make it a better choice for you if Apple offered a 20" MBP? It has (relatively) the same processor choices, GPU choices, memory capacity, hard drive options, etc... In most ways I can tell, the 20" HDX is about on par with the top of the line MacBook Pro. The only major difference (other than a 10-key pad) is obviously the physical size of the screen, but in terms of desktop real estate, there is no difference since the HDX comes in 1680x1050 as the standard res and 1920x1200 as an option, the exact same choices as the 17" MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    wheelhotwheelhot Posts: 465member
    20" is super heavy (3kg +). 17" is good enough and Apple has higher resolution displays in their products.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,797member
    The current iMac is a 20" laptop disguised as a desktop.

    Sooner or later Apple will introduce a 20" machine with a portable form factor.



    However, that machine will not be promoted to portable (business) users.

    It will simply a home machine that is a bit more mobile than the current iMac.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    pbpb Posts: 4,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post


    The current iMac is a 20" laptop disguised as a desktop.

    Sooner or later Apple will introduce a 20" machine with a portable form factor.



    However, that machine will not be promoted to portable (business) users.

    It will simply a home machine that is a bit more mobile than the current iMac.



    I am somehow aligned with this opinion. Since the introduction of the current form factor in white plastic and aluminium, Apple has not ceased to make it thinner. This shrinkage will naturally lead to some more portable form factor for the home user. And I would say even today the iMac could be portable inside the house if it had a battery capable to last long enough so that you can move it from one wall outlet to the other without shutting it down.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RexTraverse View Post


    What about the HDX would make it a better choice for you if Apple offered a 20" MBP? It has (relatively) the same processor choices, GPU choices, memory capacity, hard drive options, etc... In most ways I can tell, the 20" HDX is about on par with the top of the line MacBook Pro. The only major difference (other than a 10-key pad) is obviously the physical size of the screen, but in terms of desktop real estate, there is no difference since the HDX comes in 1680x1050 as the standard res and 1920x1200 as an option, the exact same choices as the 17" MacBook Pro.



    Sorry, I didn't mean that was interested in the HP, or that it was better than an Apple laptop in any way – I was just impressed by the physical size of the screen, and if Apple were to release a 20-inch I would be right at the head of the queue...



    Even if the 20-incher remained at 1920x1200 I would still be interested!
  • Reply 12 of 28
    There is a point when people just need to get a desktop computer...



    And I think most people who are interested in a screen of that nature are going to opt for a desktop computer instead. Because Apple keeps its lineup so well consolidated I doubt they would even consider releasing a 20" laptop. I'm of the camp that doesn't even understand why someone would want a 17" laptop.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    sennensennen Posts: 1,465member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post


    There is a point when people just need to get a desktop computer...



    And I think most people who are interested in a screen of that nature are going to opt for a desktop computer instead. Because Apple keeps its lineup so well consolidated I doubt they would even consider releasing a 20" laptop. I'm of the camp that doesn't even understand why someone would want a 17" laptop.





    agree, mostly... but the 17"hi-res is fab as a portable edit station... i'm sold on them.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Personally I think 20" is way too big, and not very innovative either. I would much rather prefer this:









    Source: hrmpf.com
  • Reply 15 of 28
    wheelhotwheelhot Posts: 465member
    20" is too big, just plug in your 17"MBP onto your LCD TV and be happy
  • Reply 16 of 28
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    I wouldn't mind seeing a 19" macbook pro with a 16x9 format

    (1920x1080 resolution) & a fullsize keyboard w/numberpad. I

    currently have a 17" powerbook & while I love it, there never

    really is enough screen & power. I almost always use my laptop

    while it's plugged in so battery-life isn't really a factor compared

    to power. Especially when I'm at a client's house with my laptop.

    I also wouldn't mind an LED screen & more options for graphics cards

    & super-large hardrives.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post


    Sorry, I didn't mean that was interested in the HP, or that it was better than an Apple laptop in any way ? I was just impressed by the physical size of the screen, and if Apple were to release a 20-inch I would be right at the head of the queue...



    Even if the 20-incher remained at 1920x1200 I would still be interested!



    No... I got that. I just wasn't sure if there was something other than physical size that attracted you to the idea of the HDX-style 20" MacBook.



    Personally, the three extra inches with no increase in screen resolution is a poor trade for the nearly 10 extra pounds you have to carry around. I'd rather Apple keep their current MBP lineup but develop some sort of docking solution so you can connect to a physically larger, same resolution, lower ppi monitor as needed.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RexTraverse View Post


    No... I got that. I just wasn't sure if there was something other than physical size that attracted you to the idea of the HDX-style 20" MacBook.



    Personally, the three extra inches with no increase in screen resolution is a poor trade for the nearly 10 extra pounds you have to carry around. I'd rather Apple keep their current MBP lineup but develop some sort of docking solution so you can connect to a physically larger, same resolution, lower ppi monitor as needed.



    You can kind of do that at the moment with a MacBook/Cinema Display combo - but it's quite messy what with all the cables and power adapters etc. Some form of dock would be a great idea.



    In my line of work I often have to be able to roll-up to a studio I've never been in before and start working straight away. Often the studios either won't have a spare Mac, or the Mac that they do provide is steam-driven. So I've found the most productive way to work is with a MacBook Pro ? it's got all my software on it, and it's set up the way I like it. The only problem is that even with a high res. 17-incher it gets very tiring to work on it day after day.



    I tried using a MacBook Pro/Cinema Display combo myself, and a couple of iMacs, but because I can quite often be working in different studios every day of the week humfing desktop kit around gets to be a real pain.



    A 20-inch notebook would allow me to rock-up with all my shit and be up and running within two minutes!
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post


    You can kind of do that at the moment with a MacBook/Cinema Display combo - but it's quite messy what with all the cables and power adapters etc. Some form of dock would be a great idea.



    Exactly. I do this right now. I've got it about as painless a it can be (plug in DVI, USB hub, Firewire daisy chain, and power) but a docking solution like I have for my ThinkPad (plug-and-play and hot swappable) would be much preferred. What's been surprising is how much resistance to a notebook dock there is from the Mac community based on aesthetic reasons.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post


    You can kind of do that at the moment with a MacBook/Cinema Display combo - but it's quite messy what with all the cables and power adapters etc. Some form of dock would be a great idea.



    In my line of work I often have to be able to roll-up to a studio I've never been in before and start working straight away. Often the studios either won't have a spare Mac, or the Mac that they do provide is steam-driven. So I've found the most productive way to work is with a MacBook Pro ? it's got all my software on it, and it's set up the way I like it. The only problem is that even with a high res. 17-incher it gets very tiring to work on it day after day.



    I tried using a MacBook Pro/Cinema Display combo myself, and a couple of iMacs, but because I can quite often be working in different studios every day of the week humfing desktop kit around gets to be a real pain.



    A 20-inch notebook would allow me to rock-up with all my shit and be up and running within two minutes!



    Couldn't you just use a 20" iMac in a flight case with a wireless keyboard and mouse? Sounds like that would do the trick...
Sign In or Register to comment.