Apple Worldwide Developer's Conference set for June

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple Inc. said Thursday that its annual developers conference will run June 9 - 13 at the Moscone West convention center in downtown San Francisco, and should be a "landmark" for the company.

"The groundbreaking innovations of Mac OS X Leopard and iPhone OS offer two revolutionary development platforms for developers and IT professionals," the company wrote on its WWDC 2008 website. "Immerse yourself with information-rich sessions where Apple engineers go in-depth on the innovative technologies that power the features of these sophisticated platforms."

With the release of the official iPhone SDK, the conference will now have three distinct tracks. A new iPhone track covers the production of both native and web apps, including optimizing 3D graphics as well as network use.

An IT track is aimed at professionals integrating Apple hardware into business, including the iPhone as well as Macs.

A conventional Mac development track is also present.

In recent years, Apple chief Steve Jobs has also used his frequent keynote speeches at the event to introduce either new software or professional hardware. In 2006, the company co-founder introduced the original Mac Pro as well as Mac OS X Leopard's early features. In 2007, however, the presentation primarily saw an expanded preview of Leopard as well as a discussion of new gaming initiatives.

Still, Apple is setting the bar high for 2008 through its invite image for the event -- sent to Gizmodo -- which features two Golden Gate bridges coming together as well as a telltale byline: WWDC will be "a landmark event. In more ways than one."

WWDC 2008 invite sent to the media, courtesy of Gizmodo

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    What do you think the bridge means guys? 2 paths that are similar but different products (mac os and iphone os)? 2nd generation iphone?
  • Reply 2 of 42
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Yes, I think the two bridges might represent the Mac and the iPhone/iPod/iNewton platforms. Perhaps the Newton replacement will be announced at WWDC 2008.

I hope we see Resolution Independence finally ship at WWDC 2008 (perhaps as 10.5.3 or 10.5.4).
  • Reply 3 of 42
    djames42djames42 Posts: 298member
    I was thinking the second bridge was pointing toward Moscone Center, and represented an indication along the lines of, "you should go here."
  • Reply 4 of 42
    Run windows software inside OS X without starting windows.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    June 9 : Birthday of the Mac Touch.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    Do I have to have more than an online ADC membership to buy a ticket? The purchase page says that a membership is required to activate the ticket, but it doesn't say if it is the paying kind of membership, or if the free one will do.

Thanks!
  • Reply 7 of 42
    iphelimiphelim Posts: 62member
    It isn't just "the media" that got these invites. Anyone with an ADC membership, even a free one, got the same invite.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blu.Psych View Post

And the first Mac OS X blue screen of death is on us.

• Reply 9 of 42
    iphelimiphelim Posts: 62member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd051572 View Post

Do I have to have more than an online ADC membership to buy a ticket? The purchase page says that a membership is required to activate the ticket, but it doesn't say if it is the paying kind of membership, or if the free one will do.

Thanks!

The free one will do, you just need to pay the few thousand dollars.....its not like they would try to stop you giving them money!
  • Reply 10 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blu.Psych View Post

You can do that with a lot of software, though not necessarily the ones I want nor as well as I would want, already using Wine's APIs.

In fact, Crossover for Mac allows for a user friendly approach to doing just that.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Perhaps the Newton replacement will be announced at WWDC 2008.

It has, it's the iPhone. Why would anyone need or want anything else with the App Store?
  • Reply 12 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

2nd generation iphone?

I hope so. Desperately need 3G!!!
  • Reply 13 of 42
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

What do you think the bridge means guys? 2 paths that are similar but different products (mac os and iphone os)? 2nd generation iphone?

Two distinct sectors (Bridges) of the market, this being the Mac and the iPhone, unitizing a common pathway, Mac OS X. This thereby creating a landmark for Mac OS X in that it will become the preferred OS to develop upon.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPeon View Post

Two distinct sectors (Bridges) of the market, this being the Mac and the iPhone, unitizing a common pathway, Mac OS X. This thereby creating a landmark for Mac OS X in that it will become the preferred OS to develop upon.

This makes sense. Thanks.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:

It probably means Apple will go on a hiring binge and one bridge won't be enough for the number of people they'll employ making that commute.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    crjeongcrjeong Posts: 11member
    Duh, its obviously the introduction of the iBridge with Intel Core 2 Duo chipset.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    Adobe Bridge is updated to 2.0?
  • Reply 18 of 42
    Magneto needs to get to Alcatraz.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    mchumanmchuman Posts: 154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Go Banana View Post

Adobe Bridge is updated to 2.0?

Remember, SJ said the SDK will be released "probably LATE June". Don't freak out when its still not available at the WWDC.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    I think Apple will announce developer tools that will allow you to use the same code for both platforms (iphone and mac)