Airport Express with 802.11n leaks on Apple's Swiss site

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Switzerland has inadvertently revealed an upgrade to the company's travel router that takes advantage of the latest Wi-Fi standard.

Visitors to the Mac maker's Airport Express page for the European country are greeted with a description that clearly identifies it as a new model, as MacGeneration reports.

"Connect to the Internet, print, and share music from iTunes with any room in the house. Everything without wires. Now with 802.11n as standard," the description reads, translated from its original French.

As with the Airport Extreme, Apple promises as much as five times the speed as the earlier 802.11g standard, which is used by the current Airport Express model. The price and core USB printing and disk sharing features also appear to be unchanged from the original.

The slip is not known to have appeared on any of Apple's other pages but would signal the first clear change to the Airport Express hardware, which has been virtually unchanged since its introduction in June 2004.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    On the US store, the shipping time is 1-2 weeks. Has production been ramped down? I think so! Can't wait for an 80.211n version. And I can't believe Apple still has the page up!
  • Reply 2 of 51
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    I will be first in the queue, just what I have been waiting for to give me a full 'n' network with AirTunes.

Ian
  • Reply 3 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple Switzerland has inadvertently revealed an upgrade to the company's travel router that takes advantage of the latest Wi-Fi standard.

"Connect to the Internet, print, and share music from iTunes with any room in the house. Everything without wires. Now with 802.11n as standard," the description reads, translated from its original French.

They speak French in Switzerland? I had no idea. At first I thought 'Ignorant Americans' then upon doing further research I found the Swiss have four offical lanuages German, French, Italian and Romansh. You learn something new everyday.
  • Reply 4 of 51
    nanoakronnanoakron Posts: 126member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ninja_Monkey View Post

They speak French in Switzerland? I had no idea. At first I thought 'Ignorant Americans' then upon doing further research I found the Swiss have four offical lanuages German, French, Italian and Romansh. You learn something new everyday.

Maybe you learn something new everyday.

Ignorant Australians.

(I keed...)
  • Reply 5 of 51
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NanoAkron View Post

Maybe you learn something new everyday.

Ignorant Australians.

(I keed...)

Er you get to know a bit about Australia.

Australia is one of the world's most integrated multi cultural countries.... and currently our economy is booming. Funny that the price of macs doesn't drop... As for 802.11n...In the words of kent brockman I for one welcome our new airport overlords.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celco View Post

Australia is one of the world's most integrated multi cultural countries.... and currently our economy is booming. Funny that the price of macs doesn't drop... As for 802.11n...In the words of kent brockman I for one welcome our new airport overlords.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigen...nt_and_housing
  • Reply 7 of 51
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:

you forgot one of the racist countries too. Integration and demographics unfortunately is not related to degree of racism.
  • Reply 8 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

you forgot one of the racist countries too. Integration and demographics unfortunately is not related to degree of racism.

I admit to being confused. Exactly what does the Airport Express have to do with your belief that Australia is a racist country? If you really want to discuss this, you can post a topic in the AppleOutsider forum. Sheesh.
  • Reply 9 of 51
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Back to the topic at hand..."n" in Airport Express.

Now add "n" to the mini and I'll take one of each!
  • Reply 10 of 51
    well I already have 2 AEBS in my possession; I never got on board the Extreme bandwagon because I never had a need for it.

Torn, though. I have them on opposite ends of the house, so I have good coverage and a strong signal all the way into the garage. BUT my Time Capsule should be on its way from Amazon in a little bit, and I wanted to keep that on a Full-.11n network to keep speeds up (wireless backups at .11g speeds? bah!). Was going to bridge the AEBS to keep airtunes going on the same network though, but I can't extend the range of my .11n network this way, meaning that I'd have to move the TC to another location to get full coverage, which isn't practical because I don't have any phone jacks for my DSL connection anywhere but on the far end of my house.

OR, I could buy one of these to extend the range to the far end, basically having parallel .11n & .11g networks going.

Seems overkill, I guess I could just sell my old .11g AEBS's and get one of these, and have all my problems solved, eh? Decisions, decisions.
  • Reply 11 of 51
    I Wonder if the new ones will last longer than the current models, If I can get 2 yrs out of one It may be worth buying. My second one is sitting in my study after lasting a record 8 months before going dead!! Way to go Apple "it just works!"
  • Reply 12 of 51
    ...if I see correctly (or don't see you could say) . The page now no longer states 802.11n but is back to good ol' "802.11g and 802.11b''. I think it's too late to hide the gaff now that thousands of avid MacHeads have got a hint!
  • Reply 13 of 51
    Can anyone explain how n will boost performance over b or g, for consumers at least? I realize if you are in a corporate wireless network with much higher speeds than that offered by DSL and Cable. I just don't see the value or speed bump to use an n card at home.
  • Reply 14 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murphyweb View Post

I Wonder if the new ones will last longer than the current models, If I can get 2 yrs out of one It may be worth buying. My second one is sitting in my study after lasting a record 8 months before going dead!! Way to go Apple "it just works!"

I'm still using one of the original silver ones.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kristokn View Post

Can anyone explain how n will boost performance over b or g, for consumers at least? I realize if you are in a corporate wireless network with much higher speeds than that offered by DSL and Cable. I just don't see the value or speed bump to use an n card at home.

For Streaming video to TV, or for any type of file serving within the network.
  • Reply 16 of 51
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kristokn View Post

Range and signal are much better. 'G' would barely make it throughout our whole house with the brick and plaster and 'N' makes it all the way out into the backyard patio with a super strong signal. Syncing and streaming with Apple TV is much better as well.
  • Reply 17 of 51
    Quote:

Yes, we have four official languages while German and French are the dominating languages. I'm a native German speaker and we learn French in school, the ones who speak French learn German. Italian and Romansh are quite unimportant, Apple doesn't even offer language support for the Italian or Romansh speaking people on their Swiss site. You can only choose between French and German...
  • Reply 18 of 51
    america, one of the worlds most culturally integrated nations. KKK is still alive and well there i beleive
  • Reply 19 of 51
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wingrove View Post

america, one of the worlds most culturally integrated nations. KKK is still alive and well there i beleive

Yup but ironic thing is if it was just the kkk [no caps on purpose], you wouldn't even notice racism; Too small to matter. So what does that tell you.
  • Reply 20 of 51
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

They speak French in Switzerland? I had no idea. At first I thought 'Ignorant Americans'.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NanoAkron View Post

Ignorant Australians.

Quote:

Er you get to know a bit about Australia. Australia is one of the world's most integrated multi cultural countries.... and currently our economy is booming.

And yet with all of that it doesn't stop some from making wide sweeping incorrect derogatory statements about and entire nation of people. It's good to know bigotry is alive and well in Australia.

D