Apple unleashes new version of Safari web browser

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 124
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

I couldn't figure this out at first... Duh you have to click on an empty space on the tab bar, I had to search for a blank spot clear over to the right of the tab bar to make this work!

I guess you didn't read the first paragraph of my earlier post.
  • Reply 122 of 124
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwik View Post

Downloaded Safari 3.1... unfortunately, Apple has still not included a functioning "QUIT" command to exit the program.

Instead, if you have more than 3 tabs, or the browser has been open, Safari hangs. It can't quit. You can close windows individually, and then quit. But it cannot quit by itself, even in 30 minutes.

I have a MacBook Pro 2.33 ghz with 2GB RAM. When I need to exit Safari, personally I just force quit it. Trying to quit for real only works 30% of the time. This is on an immaculate machine that otherwise works perfectly.

Safari has many good attributes. But 'QUIT' has always been a neat feature and I can't wait for it to be included on Safari 3.0.

My Safari (and probably many others) quit as it should.
  • Reply 123 of 124
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    gmail issues with safari

i had to use the old version with the most recent upgrage and caused me grief....whenever i hit shift key it put the letters in the subject line

i went back to the "new version" seems to work better with the newest safari 3.1

so now my gmail is working ok for now.
  • Reply 124 of 124
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

Try double clicking in the tab field to create a new tab

That comment would make sense for a Microsoft application. This is Apple. Applications should not be stupid. They should have the option to stick a New Tab button in (or take it out) of the Toolbar. Like Firefox.

Safari 3.1 does not work on multiple bulletin board sites. I will certainly report this on Apple Discussions. At first I thought it was the sites. Two of them. Firefox works fine though. So it's Safari.

Firefox 3 is looking nice. Every day Safari gets worse and Firefox gets better and feels more "Mac-like". And when the HELL are they going to add a real history and download window to Safari? And performance and stability just continue to get worse and worse. Firefox gets better and better. I'm beginning to think they should have used Mozilla instead of KHTML. Safari absolutely devours CPU and RAM, and requires regular restarts. My fan is on full tilt because of Safari now.

edit: And actually I just tried to post this on VersionTracker as well to no avail! Safari 3.1 is a disaster. They should pull it and/or issue an update to fix these logging in issues.

Also, I just began switching to FF3 for good. I've been teetering between the two for a while but this messedup-date sealed the deal. I'm amazed at how awesome FF3 is! So Mac like! Moving bookmarks into Toolbar menus, and being able to move them up and down in the menu! Bye-bye Safari! Maybe I'll check back in later on Safari 4 or whatever.