Eating our words: Apple's Mac mini to rock on

Comments

• Reply 201 of 289
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

I own a Mini, which is almost perfect for my use and I will buy more in the next few months but, I won't buy until after WWDC. The Mini might not be upgraded but I just couldn't buy until after the conference.

Believe it or not, the Mini would be perfect for my use if it had an RS232 port! USB to RS232 converters are fine on OS X but a pain under Linux (Ubuntu) (and no - I am not expecting one).

I didnt realise there was a WWDC soon. I guess if they are going to annouce new upgrades then its going to be at the conference. I wonder if apple have any policy whereby they box swap if the mac is upgraded within a certain time period ? my other concern is that the mini receives an increase in price in addition to the upgrade in components ? what do you think ?

cheers
  • Reply 202 of 289
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,829member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcdermott_c View Post

I didnt realise there was a WWDC soon. I guess if they are going to annouce new upgrades then its going to be at the conference. I wonder if apple have any policy whereby they box swap if the mac is upgraded within a certain time period ? my other concern is that the mini receives an increase in price in addition to the upgrade in components ? what do you think ?

cheers

I am aware that I didn't really answer your initial question - sorry. This was mainly because I would not want to mislead you. The Mini is not the sort of computer I think that Apple would hold for a developer's conference, unless perhaps there was a serious change of direction coming for it. Alternately, the Mini might be phased out with a new system announced to cover its capabilities. If retained with much the same capabilities, I doubt very much that the price would go up. However, there might be a significant upgrade coming that would see a price hike but I am willing to risk that. Of course, if they included a revolutionary feature like RS232, I might be prepared to pay more...

Does the current system align well with you current or perceived need?
  • Reply 203 of 289
    Quote:

I am aware that I didn't really answer your initial question - sorry. This was mainly because I would not want to mislead you. The Mini is not the sort of computer I think that Apple would hold for a developer's conference, unless perhaps there was a serious change of direction coming for it. Alternately, the Mini might be phased out with a new system announced to cover its capabilities. If retained with much the same capabilities, I doubt very much that the price would go up. However, there might be a significant upgrade coming that would see a price hike but I am willing to risk that. Of course, if they included a revolutionary feature like RS232, I might be prepared to pay more...

Does the current system align well with you current or perceived need?

Hi the current system probably aligns well with what i need it for:

Watching ripped SD DVD

Viewing photos

Watching podcasts

Photo manipulation and creation using Iphoto and web gallerys

Create simple home movies with Imovie

Maybe create a few webistes using Iweb

I don't play games or use anything like final cut pro, or dual boot with Windows etc... so will be pretty much limited to use for iLife08 and general internet surfing, itunes library etc..

I would probably get the 1Gb of ram and upgrade this later myself as it doesnt look too difficult and will be a lot cheaper.

Do you think the current mini would hold up ok for what I have described

thanks

chris
  • Reply 204 of 289
    Quote:

Hi the current system probably aligns well with what i need it for:

Watching ripped SD DVD

Viewing photos

Watching podcasts

Photo manipulation and creation using Iphoto and web gallerys

Create simple home movies with Imovie

Maybe create a few webistes using Iweb

I don't play games or use anything like final cut pro, or dual boot with Windows etc... so will be pretty much limited to use for iLife08 and general internet surfing, itunes library etc..

I would probably get the 1Gb of ram and upgrade this later myself as it doesnt look too difficult and will be a lot cheaper.

Do you think the current mini would hold up ok for what I have described

thanks

chris

I don't need mine for anything particularly graphics intensive but for streaming data from devices. The current system will perform each of your stated tasks but whether it would match your expectations I cannot say. \

Others could give more expert advice. However, Ubuntu runs fine on mine under VMWare. Perhaps getting your RAM up to a higher level would be a good idea. I know that some people here rail against having it factory installed and it looks quite doable yourself but if your time and peace of mind are more valuable, just get it done.

All the best.

http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/
  • Reply 205 of 289
    Quote:

I don't need mine for anything particularly graphics intensive but for streaming data from devices. The current system will perform each of your stated tasks but whether it would match your expectations I cannot say. \

Others could give more expert advice. However, Ubuntu runs fine on mine under VMWare. Perhaps getting your RAM up to a higher level would be a good idea. I know that some people here rail against having it factory installed and it looks quite doable yourself but if your time and peace of mind are more valuable, just get it done.

All the best.

http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/

I'm thinking that with an upgrade of ram the mini would be probably do everything i need. Its size is a big advantage for me as I will need to move it about quite a bit.

iLife 08 looks great (although im easily pleased as ive never owned a mac before) and looks nice and easy to produce some nice photo collections movies etc... I want something thats going to make life easy with regard to photos and home movies and iLife looks like it fits the bill perfectly.

Surely if the macs are sold with only 1GB ram that should be capable of running iLife but the extra ram will hopefully meake a difference and will be a good addition

thanks again for your help

chris
  • Reply 206 of 289
    Quote:

I'm thinking that with an upgrade of ram the mini would be probably do everything i need. Its size is a big advantage for me as I will need to move it about quite a bit.

iLife 08 looks great (although im easily pleased as ive never owned a mac before) and looks nice and easy to produce some nice photo collections movies etc... I want something thats going to make life easy with regard to photos and home movies and iLife looks like it fits the bill perfectly.

Surely if the macs are sold with only 1GB ram that should be capable of running iLife but the extra ram will hopefully meake a difference and will be a good addition

thanks again for your help

chris

Oh sure, 1GB is fine. My Mini has that amount of RAM and as I said, runs Linux as well quite happily. Again, someone else might comment on this but if you keep very large numbers of images on the system under iLife, extra RAM might help.

I run all the iLife and iWork applications. I don't even have Office installed. However, I don't use a spreadsheet for much these days and so, can probably go without Excel. I do use MatLab however. I have found that the latest version of Pages plays very nicely with Word documents with the exception of some text boundaries, shadings and incompatible fonts. None of these is a show stopper for me.

It's great that you are buying your first Mac - well done. I have used Apple computers since before the first Mac. This wasn't always a comfortable experience but certainly is now! Your experience of the Mac will be a conjugate of your expectations and the system's capabilities but hopefully your research will lead you to a system that matches your requirements.

Regards
  • Reply 207 of 289
    Quote:

Oh sure, 1GB is fine. My Mini has that amount of RAM and as I said, runs Linux as well quite happily. Again, someone else might comment on this but if you keep very large numbers of images on the system under iLife, extra RAM might help.

I run all the iLife and iWork applications. I don't even have Office installed. However, I don't use a spreadsheet for much these days and so, can probably go without Excel. I do use MatLab however. I have found that the latest version of Pages plays very nicely with Word documents with the exception of some text boundaries, shadings and incompatible fonts. None of these is a show stopper for me.

It's great that you are buying your first Mac - well done. I have used Apple computers since before the first Mac. This wasn't always a comfortable experience but certainly is now! Your experience of the Mac will be a conjugate of your expectations and the system's capabilities but hopefully your research will lead you to a system that matches your requirements.

Regards

thanks mate I am really looking forward to getting a mac and using it for my pics/movies etc... hopefully it will simplify things a bit and help me organise my photos better and create nice home movies easily and quickly. On my windows PC ive never been quite happy with keeping my pics tidy, and the movie programs I have are down right rubbish compated to imovie.

thanks again
  • Reply 208 of 289
    jetsetjetset Posts: 18member
    Is this what the new Mac Mini will look like?

I saw this on Anandtech and was thinking ... that MacBook Air Optical drive could be used for a machine like this. A small 'spare' Mac if you will.

Just a thought.

• Reply 209 of 289
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jetset View Post

Is this what the new Mac Mini will look like?

I saw this on Anandtech and was thinking ... that MacBook Air Optical drive could be used for a machine like this. A small 'spare' Mac if you will.

Just a thought.

As far as looks go, you cannot beat the current Mini. Many would like better access to the guts but the current model has a functional, minimalist look that is not at all dated. Good looks anyway, are in the eye of the beholder - right?
  • Reply 210 of 289
    jetsetjetset Posts: 18member
    I love my Mini and the form factor is awesome. I just hope Apple releases the new Mac Mini soon. I'm spending my '2008 Federal Stimulus' on a new Mac. Got keep the economy goin' LOL
  • Reply 211 of 289
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jetset View Post

I love my Mini and the form factor is awesome. I just hope Apple releases the new Mac Mini soon. I'm spending my '2008 Federal Stimulus' on a new Mac. Got keep the economy goin' LOL

It's an interesting phenomena, that as controversial as the system seems to be in forums, that you don't hear much complaint about the Mini from people who actually own one, apart perhaps from access to the workings. Any owners beg to differ?

(Sorry - not trying to promote the thread unduly but interested.)
  • Reply 212 of 289
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    I've been following this since it appeared on the 21st of March. After that intial drop of info about the uts being re-engineered with current generation components replacing the last generation ones currently sported, nothing has emerged o the Mac mini's 3rd Intel generation. The entire Apple rumours scene has gone dark on it. Apple Insider has had nothing, even 9 to 5 Mac (Who as we all know have recently proven very good at knowing things ahead of time) have nothing.

Meanwhile, Apple's UK Online Store insists the Mac mini has a new price on its product page (It doesn't) and Apple has not responded to customers questioning them about this, nor have they removed the label. What one arth is going on?

Furthermore, as we approach WWDC, Keynote Rumours increasngly point to a 3 point show: new iPhone, OS X touch Version 2 (I refuse to call it iPhone OS, I figured since it's Cocoa touch it could be OS X touch too) and MobileMe (.Mac).

And so, after spending the best part of 2 and a half months on this, I'm forced to conclude thus:

Apple is going to quietly update the Mac mini on June 2nd or 3rd - 1 week ahead of WWDC (ala Mac Pro ahead of MacWorld) - else the update will be waiting until August. The 3rd because Apple likes to update on Tuesdays.
  • Reply 213 of 289
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

Apple is going to quietly update the Mac mini on June 2nd - 1 week ahead of WWDC (ala Mac Pro ahead of MacWorld) - else the update will be waiting until August.

With intel's delay I'm hoping either Apple can get the new GMA ahead of others or it gets pushed to August. X3100 or worse...the 950 would be a dissapointment given how long between updates for the mini.
  • Reply 214 of 289
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

With intel's delay I'm hoping either Apple can get the new GMA ahead of others or it gets pushed to August. X3100 or worse...the 950 would be a dissapointment given how long between updates for the mini.

I suspect AppleInsider is correct that the X3100 will be used.

That said, don't be surprised if Apple update the mini again in November. I don't know about you guys, but I'm expecting Apple to get back onto the regular update cycle this year, they got a pass last year for iPhone and Leopard.
  • Reply 215 of 289
    Quote:

I suspect AppleInsider is correct that the X3100 will be used.

Yah, but given how bad intel's drivers have been for the X3x00 you probably would want to skip it. The drivers for the X4x00 isn't likely to be worse and should have OpenGL 2.0 and HDCP support. HDCP would be somewhat important given how the Mini is often used and perhaps would allow HD rentals on the Mac.

I would be pleasantly surprised if the mini got updated in both June and November...even if I bought a X3100 model in June which is my plan if they release one.
  • Reply 216 of 289
    Quote:

Yah, but given how bad intel's drivers have been for the X3x00 you probably would want to skip it. The drivers for the X4x00 isn't likely to be worse and should have OpenGL 2.0 and HDCP support. HDCP would be somewhat important given how the Mini is often used and perhaps would allow HD rentals on the Mac.

I would be pleasantly surprised if the mini got updated in both June and November...even if I bought a X3100 model in June which is my plan if they release one.

Ditto. The November update I wouldn't buy (Unless it was way awesome, like had a Blu-Ray BTO or something), but I feel its important Apple get back to regularly updating all the lines.

Frankly, I don't mind the current hardware. I just plan to buy on June 18th and I don't want it updated in August if I do.
  • Reply 217 of 289
    Quote:

Frankly, I don't mind the current hardware. I just plan to buy on June 18th and I don't want it updated in August if I do.

Exactly. I don't mind any updates that are outside say 4-6 months of a purchase. Even a 3X difference for the X4500.
  • Reply 218 of 289
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:

Exactly. I don't mind any updates that are outside say 4-6 months of a purchase. Even a 3X difference for the X4500.

Vinea, last year you were contemplating making [upgrading] your own Mini. Did you scrap that idea?
  • Reply 219 of 289
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Vinea, last year you were contemplating making [upgrading] your own Mini. Did you scrap that idea?

It wasn't mine and while I did upgrade the ram I chickened out from bricking it. When I get my own I'll go ahead and frankenmac it. Assuming I can get the parts. I have a feeling that there's a real risk in screwing up the PCIe and thereby rendering it wireless-less.
  • Reply 220 of 289
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,601member
    Quote:

I've been following this since it appeared on the 21st of March. After that intial drop of info about the uts being re-engineered with current generation components replacing the last generation ones currently sported, nothing has emerged o the Mac mini's 3rd Intel generation. The entire Apple rumours scene has gone dark on it. Apple Insider has had nothing, even 9 to 5 Mac (Who as we all know have recently proven very good at knowing things ahead of time) have nothing.

Meanwhile, Apple's UK Online Store insists the Mac mini has a new price on its product page (It doesn't) and Apple has not responded to customers questioning them about this, nor have they removed the label. What one arth is going on?

Furthermore, as we approach WWDC, Keynote Rumours increasngly point to a 3 point show: new iPhone, OS X touch Version 2 (I refuse to call it iPhone OS, I figured since it's Cocoa touch it could be OS X touch too) and MobileMe (.Mac).

And so, after spending the best part of 2 and a half months on this, I'm forced to conclude thus:

Apple is going to quietly update the Mac mini on June 2nd or 3rd - 1 week ahead of WWDC (ala Mac Pro ahead of MacWorld) - else the update will be waiting until August. The 3rd because Apple likes to update on Tuesdays.

I can go with that. Sounds logical.