Eating our words: Apple's Mac mini to rock on

Comments

• Reply 161 of 289
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    The mini is awesome, it's the only mac I never sold to trade up. Make a slightly larger version with 2 ram slots and a 3.5" hd and I'll buy another.
  • Reply 162 of 289
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

While Windows is a bloated mess, its market share is huge and it's Ground Zero for the hacker community.

Why hasn't anyone come up with a program that wipes all that stuff from the hard drive with one pass?

Too easy and Mac-like a solution?

You can't do it with a Mac either. If some of the software comes pre-installed, and has frameworks installed, along with prefs, etc. They all must be removed properly if you want to clean them from your system.

I hate to tell you about all of the junk you have in OS X that comes as part of the system. More than half the memory footprint.
  • Reply 163 of 289
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You can't do it with a Mac either. If some of the software comes pre-installed, and has frameworks installed, along with prefs, etc. They all must be removed properly if you want to clean them from your system.

I hate to tell you about all of the junk you have in OS X that comes as part of the system. More than half the memory footprint.

But I would love for you to tell me. Not doubting you, but "Inquiring Minds Would Like To Know."
  • Reply 164 of 289
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

But I would love for you to tell me. Not doubting you, but "Inquiring Minds Would Like To Know."

Have you ever thought to look at printer drivers, to just mention one thing? That's about 1.2 GB.

Smaller things like almost 90 MB of desktop pictures.

About 350 MB of fonts, excluding those in the System fonts folder (which, for the most part are needed).

Then there are the various programing environments which most people don't need. Also Apache, which, again, few need.

You know, an additional MB here and there, 5 MB here and there, an additional 10 MB here and there etc.

Then there are the frameworks for most of this stuff. If they are frameworks that are needed for the system to run, that's ok, but there are frameworks for the extras as well.

Does everyone need the RUBY frameworks at 150 MB? Or the one for Python at about 170 MB?

Do we really need all of the voices for speech playback to be installed, at about 700 MB?

It all adds up.

There are other things I didn't bother to mention.

I'm not questioning the value of these things to some people. But does all of it really need to be installed as a default or as a not easily understood option for most people, as it is with printer drivers and fonts?

I don't think so.
  • Reply 165 of 289
    Quote:

Have you ever thought to look at printer drivers, to just mention one thing? That's about 1.2 GB.

Smaller things like almost 90 MB of desktop pictures.

----snip....

It all adds up.

There are other things I didn't bother to mention.

I'm not questioning the value of these things to some people. But does all of it really need to be installed as a default or as a not easily understood option for most people, as it is with printer drivers and fonts?

I don't think so.

From my understanding, the big difference in Window's additional "junk" and Apple's "junk" is that Windows is the money maker for Microsoft via trial versions of software and all the preferences and etc that come with it.

While we are on the subject, I have 2 questions:

1...When installing OS X, there is a choice on whether to install all the languages or select the ones a person wants. What are the ramifications if one in the USA only select selects "English"?

2...There was a topic on Appleinsider or perhaps MacRumors about 10.5 having a built in automatic update feature in 10.5 for HP printers. Not sure if that was exactly the way it was supposed to happen, but it had to do with HP printers and at the time the upcoming 10.5. Is anything like that in 10.5?
  • Reply 166 of 289
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

From my understanding, the big difference in Window's additional "junk" and Apple's "junk" is that Windows is the money maker for Microsoft via trial versions of software and all the preferences and etc that come with it.

You know the expression:

One persons junk is another's treasure.

It's the PC makers that install that junk, not MS.

But, Apple offers trial versions of software as well, their own, as well as others, such as Office.

Quote:

1...When installing OS X, there is a choice on whether to install all the languages or select the ones a person wants. What are the ramifications if one in the USA only select selects "English"?

You can choose which to install. If all you need is English, then that's all you install. I install several that I want, but you don't have to.

Quote:

2...There was a topic on Appleinsider or perhaps MacRumors about 10.5 having a built in automatic update feature in 10.5 for HP printers. Not sure if that was exactly the way it was supposed to happen, but it had to do with HP printers and at the time the upcoming 10.5. Is anything like that in 10.5?

I'm not sure I know what you mean by that. Apple includes a myriad of printer drivers in many languages. When you install an OS upgrade, the latest drivers will come with it. Other than that, I've not heard of a special Hp driver update feature.
  • Reply 167 of 289
    Quote:

You know the expression:

1..One persons junk is another's treasure.

-snip...

I'm not sure I know what you mean by that. Apple includes a myriad of printer drivers in many languages. When you install an OS upgrade, the latest drivers will come with it. Other than that,

2....I've not heard of a special Hp driver update feature

1...Well I learned something new today. Can't believe Microsoft is missing out on that cash cow when most of the Windows people I know blame it on Microsoft.

2...Can't believe I found the article I was referring to. Many thanks to Google:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=361131
  • Reply 168 of 289
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royboy

You know the expression:

One persons junk is another's treasure.

But, Apple offers trial versions of software as well, their own, as well as others, such as Office.

Quote:

You can choose which to install. If all you need is English, then that's all you install. I install several that I want, but you don't have to.

Quote:

I'm not sure I know what you mean by that. Apple includes a myriad of printer drivers in many languages. When you install an OS upgrade, the latest drivers will come with it. Other than that, I've not heard of a special Hp driver update feature.

Clown.

I think any comparison between Apple having bloatware, and MS having bloatware, just makes you look silly.

Fonts?

You want to compare all the AOL, Tax software, virus software trials, and endless other stuff in the PC boxes you buy with a bunch of fonts on your MAC? you think THAT's the same thing.

Got a question for ya spanky...... aren't there a lot of fonts in Vista? Huh?

Let's not get silly.

Saying a percentage of the space OS-X takes up compares to the percentage bloated in Vista is silly since Vista is so much more huger! (how's that for a bloated way to talk)

The problem is not just MicroSoft, it's the combination of the MicroSoft software deals and the hardware crap added to it. We could have a running competition about which hardware companies do the most to make their machine a bloated mess. (the first thing I did with my Dell was reformat it to remove the crap they shipped me)

I've put OS X on two of my MACS, and neither had any 3rd party applications on their desktops and when I went through the install for OS X that process didn't bloat me a 3rd party app either.

Jeepers, complaining that OS X and Apple may have more pieces on your machine for what you might add later in your useful life with it, like fonts, is NOT what people with a Dell using Vista are annoyed with.

Let's get off the Apple is bloated like MicroSoft joke, it's funny but not the way you think.
  • Reply 169 of 289
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    In news more relevant to the Mac Mini, laptop drives are getting speedier.

This debuts in June, so a future rev of the Mimi would have one less strike against it.

Does anybody know what the power requirement of the Mini's current drive are?
  • Reply 170 of 289
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

Clown.

Don't denigrate yourself that way, it isn't polite.

Quote:

I think any comparison between Apple having bloatware, and MS having bloatware, just makes you look silly.

You don't understand the conversation. That makes YOU look silly.

[quote[

Fonts?[/quote]

I was talking about what is installed in the OS, not necessrrily the overall install.

Quote:

You want to compare all the AOL, Tax software, virus software trials, and endless other stuff in the PC boxes you buy with a bunch of fonts on your MAC? you think THAT's the same thing.

Got a question for ya spanky...... aren't there a lot of fonts in Vista? Huh?

Let's not get silly.

You're not too smart, are you?

Quote:

Saying a percentage of the space OS-X takes up compares to the percentage bloated in Vista is silly since Vista is so much more huger! (how's that for a bloated way to talk)

I figure it's your lack of erudition.

Quote:

The problem is not just MicroSoft, it's the combination of the MicroSoft software deals and the hardware crap added to it. We could have a running competition about which hardware companies do the most to make their machine a bloated mess. (the first thing I did with my Dell was reformat it to remove the crap they shipped me)

I've put OS X on two of my MACS, and neither had any 3rd party applications on their desktops and when I went through the install for OS X that process didn't bloat me a 3rd party app either.

Jeepers, complaining that OS X and Apple may have more pieces on your machine for what you might add later in your useful life with it, like fonts, is NOT what people with a Dell using Vista are annoyed with.

Let's get off the Apple is bloated like MicroSoft joke, it's funny but not the way you think.

When you buy a new Mac (should you ever afford one) there are the software trials that Apple has installed.

But, then, Apple sells it's own software that PC makers, as hardware companies only don't have. So they have to give away what they find as equivalent.

I'm not saying it's great on their part.

But, you're being overly offensive when you don't have to.
  • Reply 171 of 289
    I love the mini. I think it's a great idea, but that doesn't mean it couldn't use some freshening up...

Everyone (including me) has their own ideas for what the new mini should be (do), but i'm trying to compile a list of suggestions. Please let me know what you'd like to see next time around here:

http://www.applewatchdog.com/?p=67

It should be interesting to hear. Thanks!
  • Reply 172 of 289
    Dells* come pre loaded with crapware, people dont need or want them for the most Part.

Apple loads a few extra fonts, that the people who buy Macs, for the most part actually do want and will use, being that they are more likely to be of the artistic bent, be it designer/artist/writer/ whatever.

crapware does nobody any real good, a few extra megs of fonts that you will more than likely use is NOT the same, deal with it.

Who today, with access to large HDDs wants to have a striped to the bone OS?

*in the generic sense of the word
  • Reply 173 of 289
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

In news more relevant to the Mac Mini, laptop drives are getting speedier.

This debuts in June, so a future rev of the Mimi would have one less strike against it.

Does anybody know what the power requirement of the Mini's current drive are?

As it is, Apple doesn't offer any 7200RPM drives at all for the mini, even though they could. They aren't offering them for the MacBook either. I would expect that Apple would hold onto the 5400 drives for as long as they can for their low end models.
  • Reply 174 of 289
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Dells* come pre loaded with crapware, people dont need or want them for the most Part.

Apple loads a few extra fonts, that the people who buy Macs, for the most part actually do want and will use, being that they are more likely to be of the artistic bent, be it designer/artist/writer/ whatever.

crapware does nobody any real good, a few extra megs of fonts that you will more than likely use is NOT the same, deal with it.

Who today, with access to large HDDs wants to have a striped to the bone OS?

*in the generic sense of the word

You're missing the point I was making.

First of all, I was JUST talking about the stuff in the OS that many, if most people don't need. I'm not saying that I object to its being there.

Secondly, Apple DOES load crapware onto its machines for the same reason Dell does, they get paid to do some of it. After all, aren't we talking about that very same Apple that's trying to charge for every little thing?

Also, these computer makers work on small profit margins, Apple doesn't. How many people, even here, complain of Apple's too high margins? Plenty. The way that PC manufacturers work with the lower margins is to load the crapware that they get some money from.

It would be fine with me if they dropped the crapware, and raised their prices.

But, Apple can drop its crapware as well, though there is less of it to be sure.
  • Reply 175 of 289
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

As it is, Apple doesn't offer any 7200RPM drives at all for the mini, even though they could.

That's why I asked about the power requirements for the Mini's current drive.

I was wondering what the replacement options are, in terms of 7200RPM drives.

These are the first I've heard of that have 7200RPM drive-level capacities and low power requirements.
  • Reply 176 of 289
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    A lot of the 'extra' software in OS X can be deselected in the install process, thereby reducing the overall 'memory footprint'…
  • Reply 177 of 289
    Quote:

You're missing the point I was making.

First of all, I was JUST talking about the stuff in the OS that many, if most people don't need. I'm not saying that I object to its being there.

Secondly, Apple DOES load crapware onto its machines for the same reason Dell does, they get paid to do some of it. After all, aren't we talking about that very same Apple that's trying to charge for every little thing?

Also, these computer makers work on small profit margins, Apple doesn't. How many people, even here, complain of Apple's too high margins? Plenty. The way that PC manufacturers work with the lower margins is to load the crapware that they get some money from.

It would be fine with me if they dropped the crapware, and raised their prices.

But, Apple can drop its crapware as well, though there is less of it to be sure.

I think the problem with EVERYONE missing the point you were trying to make, is that you're not making any sense.
  • Reply 178 of 289
    gustavgustav Posts: 828member
    Quote:

I guess, but they do no harm sitting there, other than taking up a a couple of GBs of disk space. They don't slow down your computer because there isn't code running.

Windows bloatware often consists of adware checkers, virus software, and other garbage that actually loads on startup, thus slowing down your computer. There's more necessity to remove this than a couple of extra printer drivers on MacOS X.
  • Reply 179 of 289
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

I guess, but they do no harm sitting there, other than taking up a a couple of GBs of disk space. They don't slow down your computer because there isn't code running.

Windows bloatware often consists of adware checkers, virus software, and other garbage that actually loads on startup, thus slowing down your computer. There's more necessity to remove this than a couple of extra printer drivers on MacOS X.

I agree. Everyone has their own definition of 'crapware'. Mine are apps that I didn't intend to purchase that were included with the machine that impairs the performance of the computer. As you point out there are a number of Windows apps that do that.

As for the printer drivers, I really like them included with the OS. I can't tell you how many times I've plugged my MBP into a USB printer and have been able to use it right away because those drivers were already available. With desktops it is less of an advantage because one probably doesn't switch printers that often but with a laptop its rather handy. Since the inclusion of those drivers doesn't seem to impair performance, I'm all for having them.
  • Reply 180 of 289
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

A lot of the 'extra' software in OS X can be deselected in the install process, thereby reducing the overall 'memory footprint'?

True, but you have to be willing to reinstall OS X over the top of the version that came with the Mac in order to "deselect" the software/drivers/languages you don't want.