Eating our words: Apple's Mac mini to rock on

Comments

• Reply 41 of 289
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I wonder if the engineering team is enlarging it so a 3.5" HDD and space for a discrete GPU. Nah.

I do think that DVI will be replaced with DisplayPort on all their future systems.

You're thinking as if Apple sees it as a home machine. Why cut off a whole market by replacing the DVI port with a HDMI? if anything Apple would probably add both, so it can become a game console with its, yet to be announced, touch controller AND a nice little quite terminal-like machine for businesses, who would surely need that DVI port.
  • Reply 42 of 289
    delanydelany Posts: 51member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

The smartest thing they could do would be to dump the form factor and make the damn thing big enough to use desktop parts, specifically a 3.5 hard drive and a desktop optical drive. But they haven't ever been smart with this model.

At the very least, up the ram. And dual monitor support would be huge.

I have a mini and I like it, but I have to admit I'd rather see apple just dump the model in favor of a larger (and better...and probably cheaper as well) unit.

Interesting point - Apple often gets caught up in a rather odd 'dimensions' game. I'd have thought that a Mac Mini that was cheaper/more powerful but slightly larger would be of more interest to most people - it's not intended to be portable and the 'Mini'-ness isn't really the hook - it is supposed to fill a space at the bottom of the Mac market. Similarly with the MacBook Air - which is intended to be portable - I would have thought, as a heavy user of portables that a laptop that was smaller but fatter - more like the old 12'' Powerbooks - would be a whole lot more useful than a thin but overall fairly large Air. But Jobs likes a good hook for the ad campaigns or something.
  • Reply 43 of 289
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    I loved my PPC Mac mini and still have it networked under my desk to run via screen sharing Classic applications that my new iMac won't run.

I suggest the new version be bigger, so it can add these features:

1. A full-sized drive. They're cheaper, faster and more rugged, so that choice should be easy. The laptop drive in my Mac mini died, fortunately just before Hitachi's 3-year warranty ran out. I blame that on the fact that it was a laptop drive running 24/7. They're not made for that sort of duty cycle. Why not use the same server-grade drive as in other Mac products?

2. Two (or more) RAM slots.

3. Dual monitor output. My MacBook can drive two displays. A Mac mini should do the same. You might intend one for driving a traditional computer display, the other for HD-TV.

4. Built-in AC power. Something as neat and tidy as a Mac mini shouldn't be stuck with an ugly brick underfoot.

5. As someone else noted, get the price down enough to stay competitive.
  • Reply 44 of 289
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nacnud View Post

Increase the footprint to that of the Apple TV?

That isn't a bad idea. If they do take and don't add larger components there may be enough room for a power supply. I think the engineering team for this isn't simply putting in a newer CPU.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I gonna go out on a limb and predict that this will morph into an xMac thread by page 3.

...If that long

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

Just a headless Mac with a little room to grow. Apple is so stupid for not doing this. I swear if they keep pushing high-margin all-in-ones instead of selling low-margin towers I'm going to quit liking them!

You may quit liking them, but Apple isn't stupid. While the market for PC desktops is lower than it was this time last year, Mac desktops are 50% higher. They are apparently appealing to their target audience.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

You're thinking as if Apple sees it as a home machine. Why cut off a whole market by replacing the DVI port with a HDMI? if anything Apple would probably add both, so it can become a game console with its, yet to be announced, touch controller AND a nice little quite terminal-like machine for businesses, who would surely need that DVI port.

I didn't say, replace with HDMI, I said replace with DisplayPort. HDMI and DVI are old news. However, APple is currently in the competing camp for UDI, but Samsung and Intel have left and I think the other members will too.

PS: Would you be okay with a comprise? For instance, the slghtly larger footprint of the AppleTV/Time Capsule that is slightly taller than the Mac Mini that allows for an internal power supply, 3.5" HDD, and a non-user-replaceable discrete GPU with 2x dual-link DVI so the case can have an "Apple aesthetic"? I just don't think Apple is going to out in a user-replaceable GPU into that machine.
  • Reply 45 of 289
    I look forward to seeing what Apple has in mind for a future mini. I hope they don't change the external design, unless they're willing to go all-out and make it big enough for a desktop hard drive and discrete GPU.

*and I'd love to see Intel's future mobile quad-core CPU in a mini, even if it's a $900 option
  • Reply 46 of 289
    musermuser Posts: 9member
    I am anxiously awaiting a new MacMini. I want to create a home LAN, and what I'd really like is a small, quiet server. We use a couple of laptops (Mac and Win) around the house, and I want a central server (Mac) to do things that need an always-on computer, which the laptops aren't.

It doesn't need any display or keyboard, because it would sit on a shelf and I'd connect using a remote desktop from the laptop. The current Mini is close, but it just needs a few tweaks to make it a great home server. Primarily, it needs two RAIDed high capacity drives with a fast I/O channel, and a fast enough cpu to power them and some server apps. I'd use it for shared file storage, Time Machine backup, VPN server (so I could connect securely when away from home), and as home intranet web server. I'd also set up tasks that can run unattended, such as automatic backup to a remote server.

I think there is a real opportunity for Apple to re-target it as a low-cost server for the home.
  • Reply 47 of 289
    kirasawkirasaw Posts: 11member
    They need to make a Mini that can handle dual Monitors. I would gladly upgrade from my Blue & White that has a G4 upgrade to a Mini if I could use both monitors. I don't need a Mac Pro and already have 2 22" monitors so an iMac is not what I need either. Why can't they add a second monitor port ? I'd paid an extra hundred for that option.
  • Reply 48 of 289
    nicnacnicnac Posts: 59member
    What we wish for:

Bigger footprint, desktop hardware, added ports, true HD, AppleTV killer. Personally, I believe they need to go all out and have optional Blu-Ray, HDMI, Frontrow, etc.

What we might get:

An even smaller unit due to the shift from 65nm to 45nm, (to turn Mr. Jobs on even more.) This will be followed by puzzled Apple users, and more lackluster sales.

Making the Mini a little more pricey and powerful is in effect, turning it into the most desired Mid-tower that Apple DOES NOT WANT TO PROVIDE FOR US. Apple appears to be happy selling us tiny, underfeatured units such as AppleTV or Mini, or overfeatured units such as iMac or Pro when all we want is headless/HTPC/server capabilities.

With all that being said, I will be the first to admit if the new Mini can drive true HD, I will be all over one and booting my Winblows htPC to gaming/serving duties for my new Mac Mini HTPC!

Here's to another year of waiting for Apple to deliver a product I really want/need, not one I can or cannot make do with.
  • Reply 49 of 289
    Quote:

I didn't say, replace with HDMI, I said replace with DisplayPort. HDMI and DVI are old news. However, APple is currently in the competing camp for UDI, but Samsung and Intel have left and I think the other members will too.

PS: Would you be okay with a comprise? For instance, the slghtly larger footprint of the AppleTV/Time Capsule that is slightly taller than the Mac Mini that allows for an internal power supply, 3.5" HDD, and a non-user-replaceable discrete GPU with 2x dual-link DVI so the case can have an "Apple aesthetic"? I just don't think Apple is going to out in a user-replaceable GPU into that machine.

I stand corrected on DisplayPort. I was ignorant about it. So it's a better standard. I'm all for better standards.

As for the PS: I'm 100% with you on that. No compromise needed. I hate power supply bricks, would rather have the more reliable and faster 3.5 HDD, and better GPU capabilities.

That said, adding the power supply internal would cause heat and that means fan noise. Quietness is something I like best in any Mac ever since I bought that Digital Audio Mac in 2001. It's louder than my refrigerator. Small size is OK but not just for design purposes. A Mac need to perform first.
  • Reply 50 of 289
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

That said, adding the power supply internal would cause heat and that means fan noise. Quietness is something I like best in any Mac ever since I bought that Digital Audio Mac in 2001. It's louder than my refrigerator. Small size is OK but not just for design purposes. A Mac need to perform first.

The TC and TV don't have any fan noise, do get hot and have internal power supplies. I don't think TV has a fan, but the TC has one despite no real outlet for the air. I think Apple can pull off a double tall TC with a discrete GPU, better CPU and more RAM.
  • Reply 51 of 289
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajmas View Post

I once complained about the lack of video out, but given it is not possible to connect to many wide screen TVs with DVI, this is a minor point issue now. The only catch is that I would have to upgrade my TV.

Current Mac mini has video out: DVI, HDMI (via 3rd party adapter or cable), VGA, S-video (via optional adapter), and composite video (via optional adapter).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

2. Two (or more) RAM slots.

Current Mac mini can accommodate two SO-DIMM modules. It is still needlessly tedious to crack it open to install RAM, however.
  • Reply 52 of 289
    Quote:

The TC and TV don't have any fan noise, do get hot and have internal power supplies. I don't think TV has a fan, but the TC has one despite no real outlet for the air. I think Apple can pull off a double tall TC with a discrete GPU, better CPU and more RAM.

I second that motion.
  • Reply 53 of 289
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kirasaw View Post

They need to make a Mini that can handle dual Monitors. I would gladly upgrade from my Blue & White that has a G4 upgrade to a Mini if I could use both monitors. I don't need a Mac Pro and already have 2 22" monitors so an iMac is not what I need either. Why can't they add a second monitor port ? I'd paid an extra hundred for that option.

Dual G5s seem to run at about the same price as a mini. I'm running one right now, it's doing pretty well.
  • Reply 54 of 289
    kazukikazuki Posts: 2member
    Any chance they switch the plastics colour on the lid from white with silver to black with silver to match the rest of the line, anyone think?
  • Reply 55 of 289
    old-wizold-wiz Posts: 194member
    I have a Mac mini from 2005 and am looking to replace it. Do the pricing for comparison:

mini 2.0ghz with 1gb ram 160 gb disk is $850

iMac 2.0ghz with 1gb ram 250gb disk is 1199.

mini only goes to a max 2gb ram, but iMac goes to 4gb.

I'd love to have a new mini since I already have a 20" display with the same resolution as the iMac, but the price difference keeps leading me to an iMac.

I doubt we will see major changes; I know everyone would like to see lots of changes, and I agree, but it doesn't seem that likely.
  • Reply 56 of 289
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

A small and super-thin monitor that would be sold as a companion piece for the mini. A... "thinny" monitor.

Aside from the name great idea!

Single 20", slim, budget Apple monitor - could be a hit.
  • Reply 57 of 289
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

You may quit liking them, but Apple isn't stupid. While the market for PC desktops is lower than it was this time last year, Mac desktops are 50% higher. They are apparently appealing to their target audience.

My post was a tongue-in-cheek direct response to the post just above mine.
  • Reply 58 of 289
    This is great news for the Mac mini! I've been hoping that Apple would do something more wit the device. I keep hoping that somewhere down the line it would get merged with the Apple TV, or somehow make it more of a mesh between a Tivo and a Mac.

I've got my mini hooked up via HDMI to my 32" Sharp Aquos in the living room. We use it with our wireless Apple keyboard and mighty mouse from the couch, in addition to our MacBook, and use the mini for watching DVDs.

The Mac mini is an essential part of our condo's multimedia setup, including all of our digital audio, photos, iTunes music, etc.

I couldn't imagine our home without the mini and I hope Apple keeps it around for a good long time, with future updates that bring it closer and closer to being a true digital hub in everyone's living rooms.
  • Reply 59 of 289
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nacnud View Post

I would love to replace my current PC with a mini, but I need a dvd burner and don't see why I have to pay £100 extra for this, ditch the combo drive please More storage would be nice but with 500 GB 2.5 drives one the way I can always drop one in later.

You can always pick up an external DVD burner/drive and attach via USB or firewire. Most drives will work with OS X directly or at least with Toast. You can also get a Super Drive and replace the combo drive in the mini if you feel comfortable with pulling one apart or have someone do it for you at a local Mac shop that does repairs.
  • Reply 60 of 289
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

If the posted specs are real, my only question is will the new GPU be able to drive a Full-HD (1920x1080) HDTV?

For me, a Mac mini is a much better choice than TV. I'd be much more likely to use Netflix than iTunes for downloading movies. I don't use iPhoto or iTunes, except to load my iPod with a small selection of music from my collection. It would work real well next to the Blu-ray drive I intend to get within the next few months, too!

Since I've already got an Apple Wireless Keyboard and a wireless mouse, a full-tilt Mac with FireWire for connecting an external drive would be fantastic. I could dump all my photos and more on it.

Yeah, FireWire 800 would be a great addition... just swap a USB port for it ... but it ain't a-gonna happen.

I think gigabit ethernet pretty well makes up for FW800, but then again the audio folks could do with FW800. I have the Apple wireless+mouse working with a Mini connected to a computer display. The keyboard and mouse are excellent. On my Mini hooked up to our HDTV I use a wireless keyboard with a built in trackball. It works great (it's RF), but it's just not like Apple's keyboard. I really wish Apple would ship a wireless keyboard with a built in trackpad with touch capability, or maybe just a trackpad with a keyboard like the one in the iPhone. Having a keyboard and a mouse for controlling a TV computer is a bit tricky for me at least.

I am surprised you aren't getting full HD. Are you saying you can't get 1080p as an option? Seems to me I get it (perhaps it's 1080i, but I can't tell the difference). In any case on our 52" screen 1080() yields text which is too small. I wish Apple would get the resolution independence going. It's odd but Windows on the Mini is easier to see on the screen as you can vary the dpi and other related selections.

I'd like to see them get rid of the optical drive, include n networking and make the hard drive/ram user installable. Pretty tricky to do right now.

philip