Eating our words: Apple's Mac mini to rock on

Comments

• Reply 121 of 289
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

You might want to do something about your haughty tone if you don't want to be seen as attacking an entire post.

Cannot help the "haughty" thing, I'm an old-school Mac user. Everyone knows we think we are better than anyone else. It's bleed-thru of Steve Jobs' Id when one is exposed to the RDF?

Quote:

Just putting "Wrong" all by itself in a paragraph is the height of arrogance.

I must have missed that memo?

Will it help next time if I slap a smiley on the end of my haughty & arrogant replies to others posts?!?

;^p
  • Reply 122 of 289
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The X4500 GPU uses the GM45 chipset, which support DisplayPort. My reasoning is two fold for Apple including it later this year in their product line:

1) It's free, unlike HDMI.

2) It's open.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm speaking strictly about the timeframe it takes the entire display industry to move to the DisplayPort.
  • Reply 123 of 289
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    I just want to know what AI's problem is with the mac mini, they love to wave the doom hammer around it whenever they get the chance.
  • Reply 124 of 289
    Quote:

Eating our words: Apple's Mac mini to rock on

About Time you owned up to the self centered arrogance of that (old) article. It was complete fantasy, and given the position of this website and the nature of the web, the article was linked to and quoted from all over the net. IF the mini had been under consideration and consideration ONLY, to be EOL by Apple, the articles stupidity and false assuredness would surely have sent a ripple to Apple. I very much doubt that Apple would EOL a product because of superfluous web chatter, but it had potential to cause ill feeling.

Had the mini been cancelled due to influence from this article it would have deprived many of the users of this site, of a very capable low cost Apple machine.

It felt like total link bait to be honest, and the righteous, ill founded conviction was noting but opinionated self aggrandizement. PLEASE don't stoop to that level again. I'm sure this site would be all the better for it.

Thank you for your time

WS
  • Reply 125 of 289
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

Cannot help the "haughty" thing, I'm an old-school Mac user. Everyone knows we think we are better than anyone else. It's bleed-thru of Steve Jobs' Id when one is exposed to the RDF…

I must have missed that memo…

Will it help next time if I slap a smiley on the end of my haughty & arrogant replies to others posts?!?

;^p

Why am I not surprised? Haughtiness followed by pride in it. You still refuse to own up to being wrong about your "pressure on the optical drive" reason when confronted with the actual reason in Apple's mini manual. Only other people can be wrong, right?
  • Reply 126 of 289
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm speaking strictly about the timeframe it takes the entire display industry to move to the DisplayPort.

OTOH, the entire industry doesn't have to move for Apple to do so. DisplayPort can connect to DVI screens using a cheap dongle, IIRC. The only question is how much, if any, cost putting in DisplayPort would add to the mini. Apple has a long history of using proprietary display connectors, including ADC (okay, only de facto proprietary because nobody else used it), the mini-DVI ports on the Powerbook G4s and Macbooks and especially the connectors on pre-PowerPC Macs, so this wouldn't be out of character if they wanted to leapfrog the curve.
  • Reply 127 of 289
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

Swing and a miss?

The top is plastic, which happens to be an insulator, not a conductor?

Back to the bench with you!

Last time I checked, my Mini is actively cooled via air vents around the bottom perimeter and a fan out the back.

The Mini isn't cooled by convection (unlike the Cube or the original Mac 128k).

Oh, and plastic does conduct heat... just not as well as some metals.
  • Reply 128 of 289
    If you look at the Extreme series of the new Penryn line, you'll see they are talking about a 3.0GHz part, so maybe the top CTO iMac will top out at 3.0 GHz. If the other models got a GHz bump, you would expect the top model also to go above the 2.8 GHz of the previous generation.
  • Reply 129 of 289
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I would love Apple to change the design enough so that the power supply is housed within the mini,and there isn't this huge power supply (that's almost as big as the mini) hanging off of the thing. It kinda defeats the purpose of the mini — hiding that brick. I like how the brick is included inside the Apple TV, which has a smaller slimmer design that's reminiscent of the Mac min. I think Apple could accomplish the same thing with the mini. They might have to increase its footprint slightly, like the Apple TV, but I, for one, would heartily welcome such a change!
  • Reply 130 of 289
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

OTOH, the entire industry doesn't have to move for Apple to do so. DisplayPort can connect to DVI screens using a cheap dongle, IIRC. The only question is how much, if any, cost putting in DisplayPort would add to the mini.

The mini gets lagging technology as the more premier lines move forward. IMO, it seems to be a kind of home for the leftover laptop-grade parts until stock get depleted. I think that's the only desktop device now without 802.11n support. My take is to not expect new technology like DisplayPort to show up first in the mini, you would be more likely to see it first in the iMac (which is also overdue due for a Penryn refresh).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

I would love Apple to change the design enough so that the power supply is housed within the mini,and there isn't this huge power supply (that's almost as big as the mini) hanging off of the thing. It kinda defeats the purpose of the mini — hiding that brick. I like how the brick is included inside the Apple TV, which has a smaller slimmer design that's reminiscent of the Mac min. I think Apple could accomplish the same thing with the mini. They might have to increase its footprint slightly, like the Apple TV, but I, for one, would heartily welcome such a change!

Good point, the @TV and the TC both got larger form factors and built-in power supplies. I think that would be a good direction for the Mini. Wouldn't that mean it would have to get the same form factor as the @TV and TC? The inside of a mini is pretty cramped right now.
  • Reply 131 of 289
    Quote:

All of what? If you're going to mock somebody, it's a good idea to quote them so people have some idea of what you're talking about.

You seem ready to fight, like you have a chip on your shoulder. Take a chill, other people are allowed to have opinions that differ from yours.

Besides Apple made the mini the lowest class of Mac for a reason, wishing it to be something else is not going to change Apples plans.

This guy got it right on the money, there is no good reason to change the mini much other than updating it to the level of the MB:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You're missing the whole point to the Mini. It's a basic, simple machine designed for home, entry level business and educational users.

Here are some of the examples you are looking for, these will increase the cost of a mini to 1700 or even more, yet they want it for the same price or less. I assume you will flame me after this based on that chip on your shoulder.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Squirrel_Monkey View Post

I say stick a Blu-Ray SuperDrive in that sucker.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

The Mac mini would do well positioned as a Super Apple TV. In conjunction with EyeTV, wireless input, and digitally-connected TV and audio output, it's pretty cool. I call it the Sofa Mac. It should get a version of Front Row that does everything Apple TV Take Two does plus DVD playback that accesses more features of the DVD Player app (such as video zoom) and offers more seamless integration with EyeTV, or better yet a built-in TV tuner.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Include a PCIExpress 2.0 slot and you'll have sales increase rapidly. This would require either a slim profile GPU or you modify the case design. I don't care. Do it and you'll see that market segment owned by Shuttle and Asus take a respectable hit.

It would require a new power supply as well.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by firevsh2o View Post

I will buy a mini with the specs of the new mac books when it arrives (250GB HD, 2GB RAM - up to 4GB possible)

My dream Mac would be the so called xMac with a real GPU.

With the new glossy screens on the iMac - that I hate - the Mini is the only Mac I can buy. So bring on the update Apple! (or give me a matte option on the iMac....!!!!)

Quote:

I wonder if the engineering team is enlarging it so a 3.5" HDD and space for a discrete GPU. Nah.

I do think that DVI will be replaced with DisplayPort on all their future systems.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShinySteelRobot View Post

I had a Mac Mini and loved it. Gave it to my mom, and currently I'm using a MacBook, and I have a separate PC for games. But I'd happily ditch the PC and go with an all-Mac household again if:

1) Apple put a slot in the Mini for a discrete GPU expansion card

2) Apple allowed use of a standard 3.5" desktop 7200 rpm hard drive internally

The discrete mobile GPU would allow gamers (such as World of Warcraft players) to play their games at a good framerate. The current integrated 3100 graphics, like the 950 and 900 graphics before them, are really mediocre for games like WoW (i.e., borderline unplayable in some parts of the game).

Both of these changes would require increasing the case size a bit, but not dramatically so. It would be like a half-height Apple Cube, but without the pricey plexiglass enclosure!

Apple, are you listening?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

The smartest thing they could do would be to dump the form factor and make the damn thing big enough to use desktop parts, specifically a 3.5 hard drive and a desktop optical drive. But they haven't ever been smart with this model.

At the very least, up the ram. And dual monitor support would be huge.

I have a mini and I like it, but I have to admit I'd rather see apple just dump the model in favor of a larger (and better...and probably cheaper as well) unit.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

As usual, a good GPU, dual display support and a faster hard drive would be nice but I like my Mini way more than I ever could an iMac even as it is so I can live with it.

When SSD gets mainstream, I won't care about HDD. I'd take a 64GB SSD over a 250GB HDD any day simply for the performance increase. I'll use an external HDD for extra space.

If the Mini is the same price, I will be able to get a 1680x1050 HDMI display, a Mini and an XBox 360 for less than the entry iMac and I should be able to use the HDMI display for the 360 too.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Why X31000 and not X4500HD which is only 3 months away?

DisplayPort would be great. I think we leave the HDMI for Apple TV.

Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR??

Wireless 802.11N?

Super Drive as standard? ( About fxxking time )

• Reply 132 of 289
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Why am I not surprised? Haughtiness followed by pride in it. You still refuse to own up to being wrong about your "pressure on the optical drive" reason when confronted with the actual reason in Apple's mini manual. Only other people can be wrong, right?

Since solipsism already did the leg work?

Quote:

?I perused the latest Mac Mini manual
    ? Important: Don?t place anything on top of your Mac mini. Objects placed on top may interfere with the optical drive or the AirPort or Bluetooth ® wireless signal.

Huh, seems to be a key reason to me, especially since it is the very first thing Apple mentions.

• Reply 133 of 289
    gastroboygastroboy Posts: 530member
    The Mac Mini is a great idea at the wrong price.

If it was even vaguely competitive with all the PCs out there not to mention Apple's own range, it would fly off the shelves.
  • Reply 134 of 289
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

The Mac Mini is a great idea at the wrong price.

If it was even vaguely competitive with all the PCs out there not to mention Apple's own range, it would fly off the shelves.

What do you mean by "great idea"? It's bijou size requires it to use more expensive components for the performance and capacity compared to PC desktops. This means it will never be competitive with most desktops.

There are some Mac Mini copycats out there that usually come as shells and tend to cost more than the Mini once completed.

What Apple needs to be comparable to the majority of other headless desktops out there is the mid-range tower that people?especially on this forum?have been asking for for years. The Mini in it's current form can never be that.
  • Reply 135 of 289
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I am not opposed to increasing the footprint/size of the Mac mini to accommodate an internal power supply. I would also be very much in favor of it becoming user serviceable like the cube was, so that if one wanted to put a larger drive in it, as time progresses and drive capacities grow, a user could do that...as well as upgrading RAM modules.

If it heralded those improvements, along with the the move to Santa Rose and Penryn, it would be a steal at $599.

Oh, one more thing — HDMI port would be killer. Although that would probably go against Apple's grain in trying to market the Apple TV.
  • Reply 136 of 289
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

I am not opposed to increasing the footprint/size of the Mac mini to accommodate an internal power supply. I would also be very much in favor of it becoming user serviceable like the cube was, so that if one wanted to put a larger drive in it, as time progresses and drive capacities grow, a user could do that...as well as upgrading RAM modules.

If it heralded those improvements, along with the the move to Santa Rose and Penryn, it would be a steal at $599.

Oh, one more thing — HDMI port would be killer. Although that would probably go against Apple's grain in trying to market the Apple TV.

I agree, If Apple were to increase the foot print of the box it would open the mini to more power and lower overall cost as less expensive components could be used including larger and faster drives and heat could be less of an issue in a bigger enclosure. Not sure what Apple think in this area, an enclosure similar to the TC could make a real difference.
  • Reply 137 of 289
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kirasaw View Post

I understand that what I need is something better than a Mini but less than a Mac Pro

And many of us agree that such a headless machine should be built.
  • Reply 138 of 289
    Quote:

All of what? If you're going to mock somebody, it's a good idea to quote them so people have some idea of what you're talking about.

But he does have a point. If you look at all the features that people are asking for, the price of the machine would rise considerably, as would the size.

Then it would no longer be the Mini either in price or size.

It would become the Midi, without being a tower.
  • Reply 139 of 289
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

The mini gets lagging technology as the more premier lines move forward. IMO, it seems to be a kind of home for the leftover laptop-grade parts until stock get depleted. I think that's the only desktop device now without 802.11n support. My take is to not expect new technology like DisplayPort to show up first in the mini, you would be more likely to see it first in the iMac (which is also overdue due for a Penryn refresh).

Good point, the @TV and the TC both got larger form factors and built-in power supplies. I think that would be a good direction for the Mini. Wouldn't that mean it would have to get the same form factor as the @TV and TC? The inside of a mini is pretty cramped right now.

I'm not sure if the form factor would be big enough. The Mini needs more power than the other two, which is why it uses a brick.
  • Reply 140 of 289
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EagerDragon View Post

Besides Apple made the mini the lowest class of Mac for a reason, wishing it to be something else is not going to change Apples plans.

This guy got it right on the money, there is no good reason to change the mini much other than updating it to the level of the MB:

This is what I'm saying, so...

Quote:

Here are some of the examples you are looking for, these will increase the cost of a mini to 1700 or even more, yet they want it for the same price or less. I assume you will flame me after this based on that chip on your shoulder.

I have no idea why you think I've got a chip on my shoulder or why you think I would flame you.

Are you sure you are referring to me?