Comments

• Reply 21 of 73
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 22 of 73
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Their keyboards are fine (for me, but there are 3rd party solutions though and it doesn't sound like you're using their laptops anyway),

I do have MBP and I would prefer and actual right click especially when in Windows. That keyboard is better than the others, but it is just a notebook. I have another one of the new style wired keyboards and it is just silly. To use expose pressing the fn key is tedious. I suppose I could do some remapping but instead of "It Just Works" it just doesn't.

m
  • Reply 23 of 73
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 24 of 73
    Quote:

Hmm, haven't you enabled 2 finger clicking? I much prefer not having a second mouse button getting my way, and I think Apple's drivers handle it in Windows too. There's also a checkbox in the System Preferences that removes the need to hold fn.

Good to know.

I just prefer a normal keyboard and mouse. Nothing fancy, not ultra sleek, not a crumb tray, not side buttons on the mouse or secret handshakes.

Third party solutions are pretty bad too, like Logitec, because they offer a zillion buttons and features to be cool but most of them don't work or don't work on Mac.
  • Reply 25 of 73
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

This story tells us nothing that we didn't know already.…

In the meantime, for goodness sake, Piper Jaffray, get a grip on your analysts before your reputation loses any remiaining vestige of credibility.

And your analysis would be…?

Piper Jaffray isn't releasing these reports for you. It for their clients. In fact, unless you are a client or prospective client, you only get a snippet of the report that the company wants to release.

As I have said before, Investment brokerages have a responsibility to their prospective clients to advise them re their stock porfolio. Their clients, in most cases, are not the people seen here and in many cases their understanding of Panther, Tiger and Leopard is what they have seen on the Discovery Channel.

By the way, it is not your business to know what Jobs' medical condition is unless he personally wants to disclose it. And unless he releases it, it is against the law to do it for him.

One would have to be quite dumb if they didn't appreciate the consequences of everybody having to publically disclose such personal information to keep their job.
  • Reply 26 of 73
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:

Hopefully that "in place of traditional input methods" really means "in addition to" traditional input methods.

T_T;

Sebastian

starts humming theme to 'Star Trek'...

Never saw a "mouse" or "keyboard" being needed on 'Star Trek TNG' or 'Voyager', etc., just mighty fast fingers using "multi-touch"! Happy April fool's everyone, be careful out there today.

Never using a Windows based computer in my life (not that I didn't punch a few keys and double clicked an icon or two at the local computer store), what am I missing (or am I) with regards to this "right click" some people lament about??? Seriously...
  • Reply 27 of 73
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

As for speech recognition? Considering how little Apple has shown in Mac OS X so far, I wouldn't hold my breath, but MacSpeech Dictate is licensing the Dragon NaturallySpeaking engine so there is at least one good 3rd party product, it's just not shipping yet.

Dictate has been shipping for weeks now. It's not all that great, though, aside from the Dragon technology. Compared with DNS, it's missing huge chunks of functionality that Macspeech has promised will be added in later versions. As of right now, it can be absolutely maddening, though. Only borderline functional. On my machine, at least, it refuses to work with Pages. So I dictate into Dictate's Notepad to cut and paste into Pages. But Notepad has some horrible issues with cursor positioning, text deletion and insertion, etc. I'll give them a few months, but I may ditch the program if they don't make some serious fixes soon.

The main problem with voice recognition as a primary interface is that it's slow and limited. If you're working with words, it's fine. But you'll never use it with Photoshop or even a web browser, except maybe to issue a few commands. Certainly can't click on a link with it or select a marquee area. And I can point a lot faster than I can say, "Zoom in on section A2" a la Star Trek.
  • Reply 28 of 73
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanUK View Post

Gotta love the Munster!

He does just what we do (idly speculate) only he get paid for it, people listen, and stock price changes.

Crazy world.

ps If this multi-touch Mac doesn't have 4 FW800 ports, forget it.

I was going to say, Munster will do anything to pump up the stock at this point.
  • Reply 29 of 73
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    We all know that once Apple has decided on a vision for the future of computing, they will doggedly integrate that vision into all of their products, cases in point: iTunes simplicity, cover flow, touch/multi-touch.

Whatever comes next will be an extension of past success.
  • Reply 30 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Might as well be instead of because Apple doesn't make a keyboard or mouse that is usable in my opinion. I just tossed an Apple wireless mouse and keyboard set in the trash last week. It's inexcusable really because those are probably the easiest pieces of computer equipment to manufacture and they have never been able to get it right.

Bullox! I'll hand it to you with the mice... The "Mighty" Mouse does have a nice scroll ball, but still feels like I'm holding a bar of soap and Apple missed the multi-button concept by about 15 years.

All of the keyboards have always been very cleanly designed and a pleasure to type on however. In addition, they hold up very well over the course of time. Yes, they could use a few more multi-media keys perhaps, but the additional row of buttons would detract from Apple's traditional clean, minimalist design. Can't have your cake and eat it too, eh?
  • Reply 31 of 73
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanUK View Post

ps If this multi-touch Mac doesn't have 4 FW800 ports, forget it.

Yes but by then it will be wireless firewire.

http://www.1394ta.org/Press/2004Press/may/5.10.a.htm
  • Reply 32 of 73
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    Quote:

Might as well be instead of because Apple doesn't make a keyboard or mouse that is usable in my opinion. I just tossed an Apple wireless mouse and keyboard set in the trash last week. It's inexcusable really because those are probably the easiest pieces of computer equipment to manufacture and they have never been able to get it right.

I would have paid the shipping to have you send me those.
  • Reply 33 of 73
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Good to know.

I just prefer a normal keyboard and mouse. Nothing fancy, not ultra sleek, not a crumb tray, not side buttons on the mouse or secret handshakes.

Third party solutions are pretty bad too, like Logitec, because they offer a zillion buttons and features to be cool but most of them don't work or don't work on Mac.

I don't know if you've tried any, but several of the odd buttons on my Logitech Bluetooth keyboard do work for its labeled function.
  • Reply 34 of 73
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

No it isn't.

Like a baseball or child's mitt, a catcher's, golfer, astronaut or ski gloves, every hand and the way we use them are different.
  • Reply 35 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lantzn View Post

Yes but by then it will be wireless firewire.

http://www.1394ta.org/Press/2004Press/may/5.10.a.htm

Crap, wireless wires! What will they think of next?!
  • Reply 36 of 73
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:

Hopefully that "in place of traditional input methods" really means "in addition to" traditional input methods.

T_T;

Sebastian

Why would you hope that? "in place" does not mean "in addition to". What, are you in denial or something?

Thats kinda sad.
  • Reply 37 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

No it isn't.

Like a baseball or child's mitt, a catcher's, golfer, astronaut or ski gloves, every hand and the way we use them are different.

I'm thinking more like broken different, carpal tunnel, sticky key, won't stay connected bluetooth, crumb collecting, scroller ball stuck in one direction different.
  • Reply 38 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Why would you hope that? "in place" does not mean "in addition to". What, are you in denial or something?

Thats kinda sad.

Yes, but for reasons that probably aren't what what you're thinking. When reports of reports are made, it's often restated in a way that doesn't fully reflect the original intention. The AI writers are not all top writers, so simple mistakes like that can and do get made. It doesn't even matter the medium, mistakes are made, even with the traditional media. So it helps to be careful about what you take from any given piece.
  • Reply 39 of 73
    Quote:

Bullox! I'll hand it to you with the mice... The "Mighty" Mouse does have a nice scroll ball, but still feels like I'm holding a bar of soap and Apple missed the multi-button concept by about 15 years.

Have you heard about something called keyboard shortcuts. The other button was simply not needed because it could be done faster with keyboard shortcuts. The only thing I use the right click for is spell checking. Also Apple had the right click as far back as OS 9 (maybe farther I never used OS 8) if you pressed the control key and clicked.
  • Reply 40 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lantzn View Post

I would have paid the shipping to have you send me those.

They are probably still out in the warehouse, but the mouse is completely dead and the keyboard has some bad keys plus won't connect right away so you have to wait about a minute to log in after turning it on. Plus somebody has probably thrown a leftover burrito on top of them by now.