Moto sez: no G5 in January

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    You might even say that the fact that this guys said "the G5 will be released "at some point"" and "will reach 2 GHz "at some point"" indidates that these two "points" are actually the same.

Initial speeds of 2GHz, anyone?

OK, this is BS, but it's not the first BS posted here.

G-news
  • Reply 42 of 53
    apap Posts: 29member
    If the powermacs in MWSF only scale from the current 867 mhz to 1 ghz, it would equal a speedbump (mid 90's) from 100 to 115 mhz.

Last year they bumped from 500 to 733, wich is almost 50%.

So I guess its possible with G4 speeds this year of 1.3 -1.4 ghz.

And if the article is right and the G4 tops out at 1 ghz....This means G5.

ap
  • Reply 43 of 53
    [quote]Originally posted by SDW2001:

<strong>

They DID NOT deny it.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

They might as well have! If they were worried about Steve busting their balls about disclosing sensitive info, they could have just as easily said "no comment" to a request for an interview or to any of the questions.

How do you account for this:

[quote]

Conceding that work on the G5 chip is progressing "well", Clark warned that Motorola "doesn't want to fan the flames of expectation".

<hr></blockquote>

Let's see, if the G5 was due in January, why bother saying all this? Why would he WANT to stifle the flames of expectation? Sure, fine, Apple wants to make a big splash. Would Moto saying "no comment" really undermine this?

Furthermore:

[quote]

"There's only one announced product built on the E500 core that's at the base of G5s," Clark explained. Announced at the Microprocessor Forum in San Jose in October, this is an embedded product (the MPC 8540) designed for high-speed networking applications.

<hr></blockquote>

Pretty unambiguous there: the 8540 is NOT the G5. Alot of the technology that WILL go into the G5 is in the 8540, but they are not one and the same thing. Unless you think the man is actually lying!

The Moto goes on to talk about all the features that will be included in the G5 "at some point", but follows this discussion directly with this:

[quote]

However, Clark wanted to mollify speculation of a G5 Mac, pointing out that the potential of the G4 architecture has "exceeded Motorola's initial expectations". He said: "The G4 has a great deal of remaining potential. There's a great deal of headroom left in the chip, which still has enormous usability."

<hr></blockquote>

Webster's:

Mollify: 1. to allay the anger of; placate. 2. to lessen the intensity; temper. 3. to reduce the rigidity of; soften.

Translation: Calm down, fellas! G4@1GHZ is what you're getting, and it ain't all that bad.

If you didn't get it there, a few sentences later:

[quote]

Clark's message to Macintosh users was simple: "We don't want to raise people's expectations beyond what's possible. We will not discuss how or when customers, such as Apple, are applying our technology."

<hr></blockquote>

Everyone seems to only read the second sentence in this paragraph. "He's saying 'no comment', so it must mean that it's coming in January!!!" That's plainly not the case here. It reads more like: "Confidentially, don't get your hopes up. Of course, I can't say anything officially."

Bring on your objections...
  • Reply 44 of 53
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by Yow:

<strong>

Everyone seems to only read the second sentence in this paragraph. "He's saying 'no comment', so it must mean that it's coming in January!!!" That's plainly not the case here. It reads more like: "Confidentially, don't get your hopes up. Of course, I can't say anything officially."

Bring on your objections...</strong><hr></blockquote>

And the exact opposite of everything you said is true as well as it's all based on one's perception.

Look at it this way, if the G5 is coming out in Jan you think some Moto guy is gonna give that away!?!? You think he'll give clues to a yes!?!? Think he'll want to deal with Steve!?!?

All based on perception
  • Reply 45 of 53
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>

And the exact opposite of everything you said is true as well as it's all based on one's perception.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Exactly.
  • Reply 46 of 53
    I could also point to quotes that support the release in my and other's opinion.....such as:

[quote] Apple is an important customer, and, as with all our customers, we extend the courtesy of allowing it to announce products built on our solutions. <hr></blockquote>

---This almost implies it will be released, not the other way around.

[quote]Work on the G5 chip is progressing "well" <hr></blockquote>

--- At least we know they are moving on it

[quote] "We don't want to raise expectations beyond what's possible. We will not discuss how or when our customers, such as Apple, are applying our technology" <hr></blockquote>

--Although this may not be a positive sign, itis not negative either. It could mean they ARE getting ready to release it.

[quote]

"However, Clark wanted to mollify speculation of a G5 Mac....." <hr></blockquote>

--That is the author's own comment! The moto guy didn't say that. That was commentary!!!!

Saying the G4 is exceeding expectations doesn't mean anything either. We all know it is destined for the iMac and/or PB at some point.

My point is this topic was called "Moto sez: No G5 in January. Well, they didn't even come close to saying that. The guy barely even mentioned it. And he said nothing to make me think that the rumors source was not credible. All of his statements could have been out of motivation by Apple to play along with a surprise release. Also, this was a marketing guy. He could have said some of those things to make sure demand for G4 doesn't tank because everyone, including companies like Cisco, will be expecting a G5.

The thing may very well NOT show up. But this article proves NOTHING.

[ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: SDW2001 ]</p>
  • Reply 47 of 53
    It's night-time here, and this thread is going BUMP.

Disregard all the to-ing and fro-ing about what is and is not implied by Motorola's statement: it's deliberately vague, and can therefore be read in various ways. Nothing to get excited about.

But I really liked val1s's post about dual-core G4s. This does seem to me to be the only obvious way to reconcile the claim that the G4 has lots of headroom, and tops out at 1GHz.

What are the impediments to producing a dual-core G4? I would think that this would constitute a relatively minor redesign of the 7450, but a substantial challenge from a fabrication standpoint. But it appears that Motorola's finally whipped their fabs into shape.

So here's my suggestion: we're about to see not G5s, but dual-core G4s. These chips will be expensive, and will only last a short time on the market before being superseded by the G5. But they will serve their purpose, which is to give Apple something to brag about, and to provide a stepping-stone to the G5 and perhaps a whole slew of multi-core chips in the future.

Taking this thought a little further: perhaps the G5 will look very much like 4x8540's on a single die with a shared cache and a beefy Altivec unit?
  • Reply 48 of 53
    Check out this site for confirmation of G5 in January:

<a href="http://www.hamrick.com/vsm.html"; target="_blank">http://www.hamrick.com/vsm.html</a>;

I quote:

Please note that the shareware version of VueScan is disabled on PowerPC G5 processors.
  • Reply 49 of 53
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Yeah I saw the VueScan's note on G5 too.

Hope that's NOT a typo
  • Reply 50 of 53
    [quote]Originally posted by CodeWarrior:

<strong>Check out this site for confirmation of G5 in January:

<a href="http://www.hamrick.com/vsm.html"; target="_blank">http://www.hamrick.com/vsm.html</a>;

I quote:

Please note that the shareware version of VueScan is disabled on PowerPC G5 processors.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Holy Shit!! Is this a typo? I'm starting a topic!!!
  • Reply 51 of 53
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Here's the screen cap of the site

• Reply 52 of 53
    [quote]Originally posted by SDW2001:

<strong>Holy Shit!! Is this a typo? I'm starting a topic!!!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ok, relax, sit back, and think for a minute: Just how likely is it that some random shareware author gets handed out pre-production G5 machines?

Bye,

RazzFazz
  • Reply 53 of 53
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member