Apple says Time Machine over AirPort Disk is unsupported feature

Comments

• Reply 41 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Uncle Phil View Post

I was on the phone yesterday with an Apple representative and explained the situation with my Airport. We went through the motions until he got to the script where he is supposed to tell the customer that the Airport is unsupported. I went off on him like you couldn't believe. I for one am tired of Apple's holier than thou attitude. I have a perfectly good Airport sitting in the closet because I went out and bought the New Airport last year to be ready for Leopard and the wireless backup. I also bought a 500GB disk to connect to it. Two items I did not need and WOULD NOT have purchased if Apple had not promoted this product as gospel. Well, Steve, it is time to put down your water bottle and pack away your salesmanship as you wait for the audience to applaud you and Apple for the next greatest breakthrough. As a loyal Apple consumer and an Apple stock holder, I am pissed! You made a commitment and you left good customers hanging. Not right, not prudent and I for one am not going to stand for it. I guarantee that I am not the only person who became an early adopter of your new Airport. I have been financially damaged and you and your company misled the public on this one. Maybe not intentionally, but you need to make it right. If Time Capsule is the product to do want you intended, then take my Apple Airport in trade and make me a happy camper again. When the I phone came out within two-months the price dropped and you were ready to let good loyal early adopters take the hit on that one. Steve, you are starting to worry me here. You keep this pattern up and you might qualify as Hillary's running mate. She doesn't know the truth either!

Uncle Phil

PS I did the video on I-Grease when we got hosed on the iPhone, and I will be happy to create a sequel with Airport.

I can sympathize with you regarding the AE(n) + External HD feature pull.

I'd ask why you think you got 'hosed' on the iPhone, but I don't think I can be bothered reading such a long paragraph again. Actually, I know why ... and I disagree. Be thankful you got $100.
  • Reply 42 of 77
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Uncle Phil View Post

I was on the phone yesterday with an Apple representative and explained the situation with my Airport. We went through the motions until he got to the script where he is supposed to tell the customer that the Airport is unsupported. I went off on him like you couldn't believe. I for one am tired of Apple's holier than thou attitude. I have a perfectly good Airport sitting in the closet because I went out and bought the New Airport last year to be ready for Leopard and the wireless backup. I also bought a 500GB disk to connect to it. Two items I did not need and WOULD NOT have purchased if Apple had not promoted this product as gospel. Well, Steve, it is time to put down your water bottle and pack away your salesmanship as you wait for the audience to applaud you and Apple for the next greatest breakthrough. As a loyal Apple consumer and an Apple stock holder, I am pissed! You made a commitment and you left good customers hanging. Not right, not prudent and I for one am not going to stand for it. I guarantee that I am not the only person who became an early adopter of your new Airport. I have been financially damaged and you and your company misled the public on this one. Maybe not intentionally, but you need to make it right. If Time Capsule is the product to do want you intended, then take my Apple Airport in trade and make me a happy camper again. When the I phone came out within two-months the price dropped and you were ready to let good loyal early adopters take the hit on that one. Steve, you are starting to worry me here. You keep this pattern up and you might qualify as Hillary's running mate. She doesn't know the truth either!

Uncle Phil

I was an early adopter of the iPod Shuffle. I paid $79 for it and 3 years later Apple drops the price to $49 and, to add insult to injury, they offer a new one with twice the capacity for $10 less than what I paid. What kind of skullduggery is this, where technology prices drop and companies lower prices to shore up unit sales?

Seriously though, gospel—in the way you use it—means "a thing that is absolutely true", yet Apple clearly stated—and this IS gospel with any beta product—"that features/specs are subject to change". You should be pissed at yourself for jumping the gun, not with Apple, and not with CSRs scraping out a meager living. Shame on you for your "holier than thou" attitude toward the poor CSR. Do you kick kittens too? Perhaps you should take yourself out to your own woodshed, Uncle Phil.
  • Reply 43 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coremonkey View Post

The reason they don't support it is because you obviously are using a 3rd party external hard drive. Apple never has supported 3rd party software or devices.

DUH.

Cool, I can select any drive on the network now. I think the real reason they don't support it is because they want to sell time capsule. However to give them the benefit of the doubt, it could be due to the critical nature of a back-up system, they want to have a proven and reliable system of a given high bandwidth and not just any old network drive on any ol network. Na, more likely, the marketing dept has taken over operations.
  • Reply 44 of 77
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seadoodude View Post

Cool, I can select any drive on the network now. I think the real reason they don't support it is because they want to sell time capsule. However to give them the benefit of the doubt, it could be due to the critical nature of a back-up system, they want to have a proven and reliable system of a given high bandwidth and not just any old network drive on any ol network. Na, more likely, the marketing dept has taken over operations.

Your latter answer is more likely. Leopard came out 5?6 months before Time Capsule and Time Capsule was obviously in the works at Apple that they could have removed the feature listing a lot earlier than they did. It makes sense they wanted to add the feature but were possibility warned that data loss due to shoddy syncing could be a legal issue. Whatever the reason, it does suck to expect one thing and get another, but we need to be careful not to be overzealous and assume more than is promised. There were more that one feature that did not show up in Leopard, and there were things that worked fine for my in Leopard beta but for some reason failed to work properly once the GM was released.
  • Reply 45 of 77
    Oh, Uncle Phil, I just noticed the title of your post:

'Anyone for a Class-Action Lawsuit?'

Good luck with that.
  • Reply 46 of 77
    Wonderful. I just ordered an AEBS last night. Only after going to the local Apple Store and being reassured by the local techies that this very feature existed. I also wanted it for print sharing, but was REALLY looking forward to the Time Machine feature through Airdisk.

Makes me wonder if they're doing this to push more sales of Time Capsule. Wouldn't surprise me at all.
  • Reply 47 of 77
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by urbansprawl View Post

I'm in love with Apple just as much as the rest of you, but it's clear they make business/profit-motivated decisions over making users happy. It's pretty obvious they pulled the feature at first just to push new hardware (Time Capsule). Granted, I don't know about possible hardware changes between AEBS and TC, but it seems that it should just work for both.

You are wrong. I know for a *fact* that it was pulled because it didn't work reliably. Period. This was an engineering decision 100% of the way. The problem was not in leopard. The problem was in AEBS and with certain USB drives.

And yes, I can say "Period" because I've read the radar case notes. And no, it was not under NDA but instead from a friend in engineering at Apple.
  • Reply 48 of 77
    I cannot believe how crazy people are getting over this.

Apple advertised, at first, the feature. They STOPPED doing that. Everyone who rushed out to by their AEBS before Leopard was ready should have waited. I bought mine too for the Airdisk/TM machine reason. But because Apple stopped advertising the feature and did not include in the final product, I cannot get angry. Do I want it to work? Yes. Do I wish it would? Yes. Does it kind of work now? Yep. Will Apple support it? No. Did they say they would support? No.

Did Apple activate the feature? Yes! But it's not supported and they never said it was. If you want to play around and use the 'feature' then feel free, but don't expect Apple to help if it fails. I can do all kinds of things with my Mac that are not supported. Before Apple went Intel, I used to run Linux on my iBook G4 by modifying the bootstrap and a few other things. Apple never supported the feature. I can't get angry if they don't help me with it when it doesn't work. Apple never advertised it as a feature (I agree), but Apple did stop advertising the TM feature (so the example fits again).

Long before Leopard came out people had noticed that the 'Feature' had been 'dropped.' Next time wait for the final product and it's supported feature list.
  • Reply 49 of 77
    Many of us did- and then Appleinsider (who I have the beef with- not Apple) pretended like it WAS a supported feature- and then went on for DAYS reporting a series of articles that compared this feature with TIme Capsule. Annoying to say the least.
  • Reply 50 of 77
    free2bfree2b Posts: 5member
    Wow, lots of angry people out there. It would have been nice had Apple said what the deal was with TM backups, but they didn't. I think it would generally help customer relations, so either they only want to sell more TC's, or they can't seem to make TM work with myriad third party HD's and are working this issue out with an uncertain outcome. My guess is it's the latter, otherwise why would it be a feature that they were talking about pre Leopard launch? Then again, maybe the marketing guys decided it would be better to force people to buy TC's. But what bugs me about that is, what do you do when your 1TB TC drive fills up?

Either way, if you're so pissed about this, take a breather! I tried to get it to work with my AEBS right after the latest version came out, and it didn't work, it fouled up my internet connection, and I had to start all over. Dang, that was annoying. But then again, Apple NEVER OFFICIALLY SAID IT WAS SUPPORTED. So I moved on with life. It's sad when people's lives revolve around their tech gear so much that they freak out like a lot of the people on this forum when things don't live up to their expectations.

But even MacWorld (who I guess I respect, sort of) touted this feature in their latest issue. I think they should have done a little more journalistic research to make sure it actually did before they fired off a story that lacks credibility at this point. Seems like most of the Mac writers/bloggers jumped the gun.
  • Reply 51 of 77
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    {deleted}
  • Reply 52 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

You can connect your macbook to the AEBS using ethernet and do the initial backup. You must turn off airport for this to work. When it is finished, turn airport back on and disconnect the ethernet. Do a forced backup and all should be fine. Worked for me. Creates a sparseimage. It has been working with a mac mini with gigabit ethernet and a macbook with wireless-g. Trying soon with a G5 wired ethernet.

Hi, just wanted to let you guys know that you can do the initial time machine back up to an external drive via connected firewire or USB (to the computer), then connect it to the airport extreme and continue to do incremental TM backups to that initial back up via wireless. On another note, I guess I got lucky here. My time machine works to not one, but two drives (one for my laptop, another for my girlfriends) connected via a usb hub which then connects to the usb. You don't even have to have the drives mounted as airdisks on your desktop. It will mount the disk image when it runs a back up. You just have to remain connected in the "shared" servers (your airport disk) in the sidebar of the finder window. Which is an automatic action.
  • Reply 53 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coremonkey View Post

The reason they don't support it is because you obviously are using a 3rd party external hard drive. Apple never has supported 3rd party software or devices.

If that were true, then they wouldn't support Time Machine via any third party drive connected directly. But they do.

So think again!

Besides, if they stopped the feature tomorrow, you could disconnect the disk from the Airport Extreme, connect it to your computer, mount the disk image and do a backup. See this is why I don't think it's a feature Apple are deliberately keeping from us, I reckon it's just not properly tested and official yet.
  • Reply 54 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

I hook up a HDD to my AEBS just like Apple says I can. I turn on Time Machine. TM sees the HDD and asks if I want to use it to back up my computer. I confirm I do. It works. To me, that is IMPLIED support.

I guess that if it actually invited you to use that specific disk, over AirPort, as a Time Machine backup, then you have a case. Can you confirm this is definitely the case?
  • Reply 55 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jobberphoto View Post

Wonderful. I just ordered an AEBS last night. Only after going to the local Apple Store and being reassured by the local techies that this very feature existed. I also wanted it for print sharing, but was REALLY looking forward to the Time Machine feature through Airdisk..

Again, if the salesman tells you the feature is supported, but it is not, you have a case. Well at least in the UK; it is called Statutory Rights. If you are sold any goods falsely advertised (verbal or written) then you are entitled to a full refund or replacement.
  • Reply 56 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Free2B View Post

But what bugs me about that is, what do you do when your 1TB TC drive fills up?

Time Machine was designed to work to the limits of a hard drive. Once the drive fills up, the oldest backup is removed and so on. This is the way Time Machine was made to work, and always has been. If you want a different backup method, you need to use different software.
  • Reply 57 of 77
    bderwestbderwest Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I have got mine working perfectly too! It has been running flawlessly for over a week. I will be l ticked off if were stooped by an update!

The problem is, as it stands, Time Machine is a completely desktop-centric app. I.e., mine works well too, but my MacBook Pro only backs up when it's plugged into a power source, and does not (to my knowledge) back up when the lid's closed.

This works great for a desktop machine. It's plugged in, period, and while it sleeps, there has to be something with hibernation and laptop sleep that differs from desktop sleep.

Also, as laptops travel more, backups aren't hourly, only hourly when you're in your network. Plugged into the wall. Sitting at the computer.

I'm grateful they opened the feature (even if by accident), but I definitely see why they're all OMGoops! about it.
  • Reply 58 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BdeRWest View Post

Also, as laptops travel more, backups aren't hourly, only hourly when you're in your network. Plugged into the wall. Sitting at the computer.

I'm grateful they opened the feature (even if by accident), but I definitely see why they're all OMGoops! about it.

You seem to be justifying their mistake on how Time Machine works wirelessly for wireless machines. However you seem to have missed that Time Machine works perfectly fine with Time Capsule, and is supported.

Someone using Time Capsule to backup their MacBook is completely supported.
  • Reply 59 of 77
    Hi,

My name is Joe average consumer. I bought an Imac yesterday and a Macbook Pro. -I'm tired of Vista crashing and I love my Ipod. I also bought an Airport extreme.

I took them home, set them all up, and plugged something called an external drive into the little rectangular spot on the airport extreme.

I saw in the Apple store this nifty thing called time machine and thought I should use it. I turned it on and it chose that big hard drive to do the back up.

It took several hours, but it's probably because it had to go over that M (maybe it's called N) network. Anyway, it's all good now, I'm backed up and living happily ever after.

Right?
  • Reply 60 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BdeRWest View Post

The problem is, as it stands, Time Machine is a completely desktop-centric app. I.e., mine works well too, but my MacBook Pro only backs up when it's plugged into a power source, and does not (to my knowledge) back up when the lid's closed.

This works great for a desktop machine. It's plugged in, period, and while it sleeps, there has to be something with hibernation and laptop sleep that differs from desktop sleep.

This makes no sense at all. If it were "desktop centric" it would not tell me that the next backup would occur when I'm plugged in.

With laptop sales far outpacing desktop sales, Apple clearly designed this app with the ability to assist in solving the problem of backing up a mobile device.