Apple says Time Machine over AirPort Disk is unsupported feature

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 77
    bderwestbderwest Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by beninden View Post

This makes no sense at all. If it were "desktop centric" it would not tell me that the next backup would occur when I'm plugged in.

I have no doubt Apple designed the app with the mobile computer in mind. They'd be stupid not to. The way their .Mac service integrates several Macs seamlessly is on the forefront of this "cloud computing" model everyone keeps touting.

I'm saying in its current iteration, as I use the program, I find myself saying "man, this would be perfect if I had a desktop."

As it is, I run the risk of actually deleting something unless I dock my computer and me to my desk more frequently than I might otherwise.

I'm sure when it becomes "official," it won't feel this way.

But for now, it does.
  • Reply 62 of 77
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BdeRWest View Post

I'm sure when it becomes "official," it won't feel this way.

But for now, it does.

Errr but that's the thing, it IS official.

Time Capsule + MacBook = wireless backup = Official way of using Time Machine.
  • Reply 63 of 77
    murphywebmurphyweb Posts: 295member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

I guess that if it actually invited you to use that specific disk, over AirPort, as a Time Machine backup, then you have a case. Can you confirm this is definitely the case?

Exactly right!!

All you posters on here who are agreeing that this is not a supported feature really do not have a clue what you are talking about, much like Apple.

I have a hard disk attached to my Extreme that I have always used for backing up important files from any of the macs we use in my house. Last week I read about the Apple update and turned on Time Machine, immediately Time Machine recognized my Airdisk and asked me if I wanted to use it as my time machine disk. I now have both mine and my wives laptops using it.

So don't tell me that this is not a supported feature because Apple's own software asked me if I wanted to use this feature!!! This is not a hack or a workaround, I have not changed anything or not done anything that is unsupported - The Airport Extreme does support the use of a USB hard drive for storage and always has done, the only difference is Time Machine now recognizes it as a valid Time Machine disk and asks me if I want to use it. Apple can claim this is unsupported all they like but I cannot believe that anyone sensible is backing them up on this.

On a similar note, does anyone know if Wireless networking has become an unsupported feature on the Airport Extreme? I have three networks at home, two are wireless G networks running on my Cisco router and the other is a wireless N network using an Extreme and extended with an express. I am currently connected to one of my G's as yet again my MBP connects to my apple network but no data is forthcoming, this is happening far to often at the moment and I am getting bored of rebooting my Extreme all the time.

I just thought maybe using the Airport Extreme has become unsupported too?

* HaHa along with the 'delete' key on my MBP which stopped working last week at exactly the same time as the first use of my new Apple USB keyboard I bought. I wonder if 'delete' is no longer a supported feature now too?

Looks like a trip to the repair center for my MBP which is just what I chuffin need.
  • Reply 64 of 77
    joltguyjoltguy Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikwax View Post

I quite agree. Apple has been making it very clear that this is NOT a supported function of the AirportExtreme.

Apple hasn't been making *anything* "very clear". That's exactly the problem.
  • Reply 65 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murphyweb View Post

Exactly right!!

All you posters on here who are agreeing that this is not a supported feature really do not have a clue what you are talking about, much like Apple.

I have a hard disk attached to my Extreme that I have always used for backing up important files from any of the macs we use in my house. Last week I read about the Apple update and turned on Time Machine, immediately Time Machine recognized my Airdisk and asked me if I wanted to use it as my time machine disk. I now have both mine and my wives laptops using it.

So don't tell me that this is not a supported feature because Apple's own software asked me if I wanted to use this feature!!! This is not a hack or a workaround, I have not changed anything or not done anything that is unsupported -

Sigh. No one ever said you couldn't do it. The point being made is that Apple does not OFFICIALLY support this functionality. Call Apple Support and ask them for help in making it work- you won't get any.

Why is this an issue for those of you that are using this unsupported functionality? Apple could come out with an update in the future disabling this functionality and you will no longer be able to wirelessly back up your Mac through Time Machine using an AEBS and USB connected hard drive.

Not the end of the world- but it could happen- and anyone using it should be prepared for such an event. Of course- if that happens- expect an even bigger set of flaming posts in a future thread.
  • Reply 66 of 77
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joltguy View Post

Apple hasn't been making *anything* "very clear". That's exactly the problem.

There is a difference between being unclear and reading what you want to read. Apple has never said this is a supported feature. They did have it as a feature that was subject to change, and did, when Leopard was in beta. To assume anything else is an error in reading comprehension.
  • Reply 67 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There is a difference between being unclear and reading what you want to read. Apple has never said this is a supported feature. They did have it as a feature that was subject to change, and did, when Leopard was in beta. To assume anything else is an error in reading comprehension.

Actually, it has nothing to do with reading comprehension. It has to do with the fact that I can currently open up Time Machine and see a disk which is connected to the AEBS, using only the software Apple provided.
  • Reply 68 of 77
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    Quote:

Supported means that Apple has clearly specified this as a feature, will assist you if you have trouble setting it up and that you'd have a case for litigation if it doesn't work.

Support, schmaport. Look through the support forums... people screaming that the Cupertino based iPod maker won't help them with their Macs. Even if it were "official" with a neon sign... they wouldn't "support" it. They ignore our pleas now. Why does my MBP keep saying "Airport: scanning.../Airport: on" even though it's connected the whole time? Do they support printing over AEBS?? Why did mine stop working after 10.5.2?? (I tried EVERYTHING) Do we have to hire lawyers to get them to listen?

I Love my Mac, hate everything else... but I refuse to be an apologist for their failures.... like some wussies around here.
  • Reply 69 of 77
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    The reason is simple: if you ever worked with third party USB enclosures and drives, you know how crappy even certain "high-end" brands are. (Need I e.g. mention all the issues there were with certain french-sounding drives that had massive issues with FW firmware and failing power supplies, and then the company wouldn't sell you a $5 spare part to fix a $400 drive that was a few days out of warranty?)

There are drives out there with imperfect drivers, with odd-behaving sleep modes, with power issues, lose USB connectors, etc.

Apple's TechSupport would be in a world of pain trying to support all the resulting issues.

Sure, Apple could create a program of officially certified TimeMachine USB drives, but that costs time and resources, and the manufacturer's would need to pay Apple, and they would increase the price, etc. All said and done, the people who are cheap would still buy uncertified drives because of the price differential, and those who really want an Apple sanctioned solution might as well just go and buy the TimeCapsule: there are less wires, less clutter, a built-in power supply, and if you look at the cost of 1TB drive plus an AirPort Extreme you pay really no premium for a solution that's better.

I really don't get what all the whining is about. Unsupported doesn't mean "won't work", it just means that Apple will not provide support or make any warranties, and how could they, if they have no control over what you attach to your base station?
  • Reply 70 of 77
    Quote:

Actually, it has nothing to do with reading comprehension. It has to do with the fact that I can currently open up Time Machine and see a disk which is connected to the AEBS, using only the software Apple provided.

A feature working and a feature being supported are not synonymous.
  • Reply 71 of 77
    Quote:

A feature working and a feature being supported are not synonymous.

Look, all I really want is some clarification from the mother ship. Some 3rd party saying "Apple told me so" on their blog doesn't count. Apple needs to come out and say it, whatever the case is. The feature is in the software. That's the only "official" indication from Apple at this point. Hence the confusion.
  • Reply 72 of 77
    Quote:

Look, all I really want is some clarification from the mother ship. Some 3rd party saying "Apple told me so" on their blog doesn't count. Apple needs to come out and say it, whatever the case is. The feature is in the software. That's the only "official" indication from Apple at this point. Hence the confusion.

Al the clarification you and anyone needs is that if Apple doesn't promote that feature on their website or in their store then it is not a feature supported by Apple. You are making a TB out of Kb*.

* Sorry, but I hate clichés.
  • Reply 73 of 77
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

And it WAS officially advertised by Apple that features are subject to change.

I would be a lot more comfortable with the situation if they had come out and said announced the redaction of the feature, rather than just did an Orwellian wipe of the feature and hope people didn't notice. I really don't think it's insignificant for those that bought the AEBS in part because of that feature.
  • Reply 74 of 77
    murphywebmurphyweb Posts: 295member
    Quote:

Al the clarification you and anyone needs is that if Apple doesn't promote that feature on their website or in their store then it is not a feature supported by Apple. You are making a TB out of Kb*. ]

Sollipsism, Your fanboyism sometimes is far too much, if you cannot see that Apple by announcing they are not supporting this feature are reneging on their responsibilities and in turn shitting on their customers then I do not know what is wrong with you.

From the Apple website on the Time Machine page..

Quote:

You can designate just about any HFS+ formatted FireWire or USB drive connected to a Mac as a Time Machine backup drive.

It does not say anywhere that you cannot use an Airdisk. So based on this information from the Apple website I go out and buy myself a 500GB disk to plug into my network purely to use Time Machine. I plug this disk into my Extreme, it is then therefore "connected to my mac" (And yes it is connected to my mac, via ethernet, wireless ethernet or USB does make any difference all ways to legitimately connect a drive to my mac) And turn on Time Machine, as soon as I turn on Time Machine Apple ask me if that is the disk I want to use, I click yes and hey presto it starts working.

A week later something goes wrong and it stops working, I call Apple support. They tell me it is actually not a supported feature, not a supported feature?

"But I do not understand? Your website says any drive connected to my mac"

"Ah but we meant not one connected via wireless"

"But you never said that"

"We kinda just figured you might have special psychic ability"

"But your software asked me if I wanted to use that disk"

" Yeah, kinda strange that one, just because we invite you to do something it does not actually mean it is a feature"

"But that makes no sense at all"

"Sorry, thats just the way it is. Any other issues?"

Sorry but if you cannot admit this is crap then I dunno what is wrong with you, Apple have to support this feature because they have designed their own software to not only make this feature work but tell people this feature is supported.

Yes, that is right they do say this feature is supported. By Time Machine actually asking me if I want to use my mounted Airdisk as a Time Machine back-up they are telling me it is supported.
  • Reply 75 of 77
    Quote:

You might try reading it as marketing has written it (i.e: where they write the truth, not the whole truth) and as legal likes to write (i,e,: not agreeing to anything you can't fully support in order to prevent litigation), instead of just what you want to read.

The full paragraph you partially quoted:
    You can designate just about any HFS+ formatted FireWire or USB drive connected to a Mac as a Time Machine backup drive. Time Machine can also back up to another Mac running Leopard with Personal File Sharing, Leopard Server, or Xsan storage devices.
    There is plenty of evidence in that paragraph that indicates that a HDD connected to an AEBS—which doesn't run OS X, much less being labeled a Mac—is not supported by Apple. If it's working for you, Great! Stop complaining! There are plenty of others who still aren't able to back up to a USB HDD connected to an AEBS.

As far as being an Apple fanboy, I have a MS Windows Storage Server with RAID 5. I've mentioned it on AI before and have given it high praise on several occasions.
  • Reply 76 of 77
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

Sollipsism, Your fanboyism sometimes is far too much, if you cannot see that Apple by announcing they are not supporting this feature are reneging on their responsibilities and in turn shitting on their customers then I do not know what is wrong with you.

It does not say anywhere that you cannot use an Airdisk. So based on this information from the Apple website I go out and buy myself a 500GB disk to plug into my network purely to use Time Machine. I plug this disk into my Extreme, it is then therefore "connected to my mac" (And yes it is connected to my mac, via ethernet, wireless ethernet or USB does make any difference all ways to legitimately connect a drive to my mac) And turn on Time Machine, as soon as I turn on Time Machine Apple ask me if that is the disk I want to use, I click yes and hey presto it starts working.

A week later something goes wrong and it stops working, I call Apple support. They tell me it is actually not a supported feature, not a supported feature?

"But I do not understand? Your website says any drive connected to my mac"

"Ah but we meant not one connected via wireless"

"But you never said that"

"We kinda just figured you might have special psychic ability"

"But your software asked me if I wanted to use that disk"

" Yeah, kinda strange that one, just because we invite you to do something it does not actually mean it is a feature"

"But that makes no sense at all"

"Sorry, thats just the way it is. Any other issues?"

Sorry but if you cannot admit this is crap then I dunno what is wrong with you, Apple have to support this feature because they have designed their own software to not only make this feature work but tell people this feature is supported.

Yes, that is right they do say this feature is supported. By Time Machine actually asking me if I want to use my mounted Airdisk as a Time Machine back-up they are telling me it is supported.

Can you understand what you read? Your tirade suggests not.
  • Reply 77 of 77
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

The reason is simple: if you ever worked with third party USB enclosures and drives, you know how crappy even certain "high-end" brands are.

Again, you have missed the point. Time Machine works perfectly well with third party drives connected directly to the Mac. It has nothing to do with supporting third party drives. It has everything to do with the way the Airport Extreme was never designed for Time Machine.

The fact that Time Machine invites you to backup to your AirDisk is the problem here. Until they either remove it or support it, they will have to deal with the complaints from people who use AirDisk if it suddenly stops working.