Apple posts Mac, keyboard firmware updates, new iPhone SDK

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday released several fixes to improve the reliability of its Macs based on Intel's mobile platform as well as its newer aluminum keyboard. Also, beta 3 has surfaced for the iPhone developer SDK along with a new firmware beta.

iMac EFI Firmware Update 1.3

Firmware Update 1.3 (1.6MB) improves the stability of Intel-based iMacs.

Apple doesn't mention which models are affected, though the fix is known to apply to aluminum models and requires Mac OS X 10.4.10 or later.

MacBook EFI Firmware Update 1.2

Version 1.2 of the 13-inch MacBook's firmware (1.8MB) improves the stability of all models.

It also requires Mac OS X 10.4.10 or later.

MacBook Air EFI Firmware Update 1.0

The MacBook Air's first EFI upgrade (2.3MB) improves its stability.

Apple incorrectly states that the update requires Mac OS X Tiger, as the Air first shipped with Leopard.

MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 1.5

One of the larger updates, EFI Update 1.5 (3.1MB) also addresses stability for 15- and 17-inch MacBook Pros and requires Mac OS X 10.4.10 or later.

Aluminum Keyboard Update

Affecting bundled keyboards with iMacs and Mac Pros as well as the stand-alone option, the Aluminum Keyboard Update (1.5MB) resolves an issue where a key could unexpectedly 'stick' and repeat characters.

It also mends "other issues," according to Apple, and requires Mac OS X 10.5.2.

iPhone SDK Beta 3,

Early developers for the iPhone and iPod touch now have access to beta 3 of the Software Development Kit for the devices at Apple's developer website.

The 1.4GB download is much smaller than the original 2GB version but is said by Apple to fix several bugs as well as enable support for the latest beta version of the iPhone's firmware, which is available at the same time.

Build 5A240d of the iPhone's operating system improves Microsoft Exchange support and fixes some outstanding bugs.

Updating to the new SDK requires Mac OS X 10.5.2 and is considered necessary, as the just-replaced iPhone 2.0 beta firmware expires as of Tuesday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Such software updates used to be the harbinger of new hardware.

But nowadays, who knows.

An updated iMac and mini would be nice.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Such software updates used to be the harbinger of new hardware.

But nowadays, who knows.

An updated iMac and mini would be nice.

No the update was because the other drivers didn't work correctly as I've had enough experience with to appreciate. And the firmware was likely somewhat related.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    i++i++ Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

MacBook EFI Firmware Update 1.2

Version 1.2 of the 13-inch MacBook's firmware (1.8MB) improves the stability of all models.

It also requires Mac OS X 10.4.10 or later.

Downloaded the package and it requested 10.5. Is there more to come?
  • Reply 4 of 26
    I was hoping this aluminum keyboard firmware would fix the non-functional startup keys for this intel mini, but it hasn't as far as i can tell. Caps lock light still stays off until the os loads, single user mode and os selection don't work, etc.

I guess its going to take an actual EFI update for the mini to fix this.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    humm my MacBook doesn't need it... aren't these just brand new and to everyone?

I could use some more stability on it?
  • Reply 6 of 26
    phizzphizz Posts: 142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iMac EFI Firmware Update 1.3

Firmware Update 1.3 (1.6MB) improves the stability of Intel-based iMacs.

EDIT: I had just posted about what I thought was a BootROM discrepancy with this update. Turns out the firmware didn't install correctly for me at the first attempt and the message telling me to try again was buried under a few others when I started up.

Firmware update works great - no problems.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    akhomerunakhomerun Posts: 386member
    Quote:

MacBook Air EFI Firmware Update 1.0

The MacBook Air's first EFI upgrade (2.3MB) improves its stability.

Apple incorrectly states that the update requires Mac OS X Tiger, as the Air first shipped with Leopard.

Is it possible to install Tiger on a Macbook Air though? It could be that the firmware update simply happens to work on Tiger if for some reason someone wanted to use 10.4 instead.

I mean i don't know why you would want to do that...and probably apple making a typo is more likely.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whatever- View Post

humm my MacBook doesn't need it... aren't these just brand new and to everyone?

I could use some more stability on it…

My MacBook doesn't need it either and it's not the newest model. I check te BootROM and it's clearly not the version number that will be replaced after the update. Oh well, everything is working great so i'm not going to bother until it's pushed to Software Update.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    k3nk3n Posts: 2member
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1237

Confusing!!

With the site above, scroll down to the MacBook section... perhaps this indicates that v1.2 is in fact only for Late 2007 MacBook models and not all of the MacBook generation???

If thats the case, Apple might want to consider adding a little more to their 'System Requirements' section and not be so lazy!!!!

And also, Appleinsider might want to alter where it says:

'MacBook EFI Firmware Update 1.2

Version 1.2 of the 13-inch MacBook's firmware (1.8MB) improves the stability of all models.'
  • Reply 10 of 26
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    The bluetooth aluminum keyboards are notorious for repeating key strokes. I hope this fixes that problem. I had to go with the wired version at work it was so bad.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    i just installed the updates but the EFI firmware updater is popping up to say the install is complete at every startup now. i checked the account login items and it's not there. anyone know how i can remove it?
  • Reply 12 of 26
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post

i just installed the updates but the EFI firmware updater is popping up to say the install is complete at every startup now. i checked the account login items and it's not there. anyone know how i can remove it?

Same problem here. Just installed.

24" 2.8 Extreme iMac Aluminum
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Apple website says the MacBook EFI firmware update requires 10.5.2 or later; I'm pretty sure the others say that now, too. Looks like Apple corrected their typo; the update itself says I need Leapord, but I'm still using Tiger.

It's sad that Apple would drop update support for older machines so quickly. Unless of course these issues only exist in Leapord and not Tiger, rather than the actual hardware.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    leafyleafy Posts: 34member
    I just updated my EFI firmware on MBP to 1.5, but it took away the display settings for my desktop (background image reset to default, grid spacing to the max). Has anyone seen this? Other than that it feels normal.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    tried to install this on the macbook pro intel June 2007 Refresh and said it was not needed. Exactly which models of the MBP need this update. It starts and says I do not need this update and quits...? Am I missing something, or is this only for the most recent MBP refresh.....I am either waiting for 10.5.3 of OSX or some type of EFI update to resolve known MBP power-saving issues that have been broken in recent releases, try and wake up most macbook with Leopard and see how long and if it will "wake-up" like it should.

Thanks

Jensen
  • Reply 16 of 26
    vancevance Posts: 4member
    What's with the 10.5.2 requirement for the Aluminum Keyboard update?? The requirement

for using the Aluminum Keyboard is 10.4.10. Does this mean the problems don't show up

until 10.5.2? Does this mean if you use a 10.5.2 machine to update the firmware in the

keyboard, that it won't work if you move the keyboard to a system with Tiger on it? The

program which loads firmware to a device should be extremely simple and not have an

OS requirement! Apple is being so lame.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

Build 5A240d of the iPhone's operating system improves Microsoft Exchange support and fixes some outstanding bugs.

Everyone is raving about push mail and calendar support for Exchange, but what about the Notes and Tasks features? Is the iPhone going to support accessing Notes and Tasks items on an Exchange server?
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Everyone is raving about push mail and calendar support for Exchange, but what about the Notes and Tasks features? Is the iPhone going to support accessing Notes and Tasks items on an Exchange server?

I just want my iPhone Notes to sync with the Notes feature in Leopard Mail.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    since the update the spacebar doesn't appear to open quick look anymore...
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post

since the update the spacebar doesn't appear to open quick look anymore...

I wish I could get that feature. I am not a fan of QuickLook.