Report: Apple prepping Australia for June (3G?) iPhone arrival

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A debatable report out of one of Australia's largest Apple communities this week claims the wheels are in motion to launch the iPhone in the region this June, and that a 3G model is likely to take center stage.

Citing unnamed sources within the country's tightly-knit circle of Apple resellers, an administrator for the MacTalk forums reports that many of those resellers have started to receive guidance from the Cupertino-based company regarding a local iPhone launch during the final week of June.

The timeframe would coincide with the widely anticipated arrival of a second-generation iPhone with 3G wireless capabilities, iPhone software v2.0, and the first Australian Apple retail stores in Sydney and Melbourne, both of which are believed to be nearing completion.

Though somewhat suspect, the report adds that the touch-screen handset will arrive unlocked for use on many of the nation's wireless carriers and that Australian Apple resellers, unlike those in the US and Europe, will be privy to market the device to their customers.

MacTalk notes that all the major Australian carriers already operate a 3G HSDPA network, while only one -- Telstra -- maintains a network suitable for the current 2.5G EDGE-based iPhone. As such, the publication believes a 3G model would stand as the only logical choice for the region, a notion believed to also support the rumored multi-carrier model.

On Tuesday evening it was discovered that the latest private beta of iPhone software v2.0 includes references to Infineon's SGOLD3H chipset. A successor to the SGOLD2 chipset used in the current iPhone, the new version is distinguished from the earlier hardware by its 3G cellular data capabilities.

Unlike the EDGE-only chipset in the current iPhone, the new Infineon hardware not only adds 3G over HSDPA but runs up to the international standard's newer 7.2 megabit per second spec -- twice the speed of the 3.6-megabit access seen on most HSDPA networks.

It also enables new options for video that aren't present in the SGOLD2, such as live recording and two-way video calls.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 2 of 54
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Just more evidence that a 3G iPhone is soon to be unleashed on the world. A faster network connection won't fundamentally change the device, with the possible exception of enabling iChat on the iPhone, which would be Star Trek Cool.
  • Reply 3 of 54
    petermacpetermac Posts: 115member
    Hmmm a multi carrier model. I like the sound of that, although that would probably mean there will be no visual voicemail. But why a multi carrier model and why Australia to try out this marketing method. It sounds like Apple couldn't get any of the carriers to the table.
  • Reply 4 of 54
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by petermac View Post

Hmmm a multi carrier model. I like the sound of that, although that would probably mean there will be no visual voicemail. But why a multi carrier model and why Australia to try out this marketing method. It sounds like Apple couldn't get any of the carriers to the table.

Maybe not. If multiple carriers have access to the iPhone they might add VV to their network in order to entice customers to choose them over the other carrier(s). Which, may then get the other carriers to include it to catch up.
  • Reply 5 of 54
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I didn't know there was a Cupertino, Australia.

(Read the article carefully.)
  • Reply 6 of 54
    Quote:

.... why Australia to try out this marketing method...

Heh, heh.... no offense at all, mates, but in the global scheme of things, Australia could be a low-cost-of-failure way to market-test something, especially, since Apple wants to put its best foot forward with what is likely one of its most significant product introductions...... sort of, like, "does it play in Peoria?"
  • Reply 7 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

I didn't know there was a Cupertino, Australia.

(Read the article carefully.)

Or, Peoria, Australia (see above).

PS: Good catch, btw!
  • Reply 8 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Details on the SGOLD3H chipset

Sebastian

Wow. It says "support for video telephony, streaming, recording, and playback" and "supports up to 5MP camera." Wow.
  • Reply 9 of 54
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 10 of 54
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    My brother and uncle will be so happy now! (If this report proves true).

Now, if only Apple can get the telcos up here to play nice, Canada can join the iPhone orgy.

Jimzip
  • Reply 11 of 54
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wow. It says "support for video telephony, streaming, recording, and playback" and "supports up to 5MP camera." Wow.

I'm so glad I waited to buy an iPhone
  • Reply 12 of 54
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    the didgeridoos are roaring
  • Reply 13 of 54
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

the didgeridoos are roaring

And you'll be able to hear it anywhere, anytime. With iPhone™.

Jimzip
  • Reply 14 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

I'm so glad I waited to buy an iPhone

Don't confuse that with Apple supporting all the features of the Inferion chip. The current iPhone Inferion chip doesn't do everything it could.
  • Reply 15 of 54
    .mac.mac Posts: 44member
    when its coming to spain ?
  • Reply 16 of 54
    lhunterlhunter Posts: 13member
    Will this chipset work with Tmobile"s data network?

Since 3g networks are just being rolled out, do they roam on GSM when 3g is unavailable?
  • Reply 17 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lhunter View Post

Will this chipset work with Tmobile"s data network?

Since 3g networks are just being rolled out, do they roam on GSM when 3g is unavailable?

Welcome to AI. Both T-Mobile and AT&T use GSM. The chip will use the fastest data standard available.

chart by winterspan
  • Reply 18 of 54
    lhunterlhunter Posts: 13member
    Great. Thanks
  • Reply 19 of 54
    bjkbjk Posts: 34member
    Solipsism,

Cool chart, I had no idea that 3G speeds could be so high. What system is AT&T using?
  • Reply 20 of 54
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:

In Australia, people basically do not accept locked phones. People just wouldn't buy it, so it makes sense.

If you buy a phone on a 2 year plan in Australia, they give you a new unlocked phone and they don't care what you do with it, because you're paying for it through the plan regardless. If you cancel your plan you have to pay out the remaining months and sometimes a penalty.

Apple's approach in the US is very strange. You can get the phone at the 'subsidised' price without signing up for a plan, allowing you to unlock and use on other carriers. In the new model this wouldn't be possible, since you'd be required to sign up for the plan before you got the phone or pay full price.

The new approach make much more sense. People value choice over price. They'd rather have an unlocked phone and pay more than be locked into a carrier, especially one they don't like.

Also, I'd say you'd get visual voicemail. All the (Australian) carriers would implement it to provide proper support for the phone. Why wouldn't they. It's not rocket science.