iPhone software v2.0 to add contact search, meeting invites

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new beta of Apple Inc.'s iPhone software v2.0 released privately on Tuesday includes a handful of subtle refinements and feature additions, such as a contact list search.

The inability to search the address book and phone number listings has stood out as one of the iPhone's most glaring omissions given that such capabilities have routinely been included out-of-the-box on most rival handsets.

At last month's iPhone Software Roadmap event, Apple inadvertently dropped hints that the feature would finally arrive as part of the iPhone software v2.0 due this June when a slide demonstrating the some of the update's features revealed an inconspicuous magnifying glass icon atop the phone app's alphabet search strip.

Although the first few external betas of the iPhone software v2.0 did not include the feature, build 5A240d released on Tuesday does according to Engadget, as evidenced by the below screenshots.

Also new to the latest beta is an iCal meeting invites folder, accessible via a drawer icon at the bottom of the iPhone's iCal application -- a button that was disabled in previous builds.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Calling it an "invite" instead of an "invitation" is a very advance feature.*

* That's right. "Advance."
  • Reply 2 of 40
    rei_vilorei_vilo Posts: 31member
    Nice news!

But when a to do list is going to be available ?
  • Reply 3 of 40
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Exchange Notes and Tasks support, please.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    While I'm glad a search feature is coming, but I don't think it's really needed for the consumer side. I have about 250 contacts and never have any trouble locating who I want. I have categories setup in Address Book that carry over and the ability to quickly flick to where I want to go; but the alphabet on the right side with will instantly get me to a last name or company I need.

The iPhone's fast UI and capacitance touchscreen make it much faster than any other phone or smartphone I've used. I probably won't be using the search feature much and, if I do, only if it can also search obscure information in the contact Notes.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I do have a use for searching contacts, since I have such a mound of business contacts, each of whom I seldom contact. But searching other stuff--like Notes and Bookmarks would be even more welcome!
  • Reply 6 of 40
    crtaylorcrtaylor Posts: 82member
    Sounds like other than 3G and a few new bells and whistles, it almost looks like the same old iPhone. I think the SDK is still promising, though. I just want this thing to come out in June like its rumored in Australia right now and not be tied down to AT&T, which is not the best service in the US right now.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    jawportajawporta Posts: 140member
    I don't need to search a contact, I NEED TO SEARCH EMAILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 8 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jawporta View Post

I don't need to search a contact, I NEED TO SEARCH EMAILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Excellent point. And searching AIM (coming soon), SMS, and internet history would be nice too, but I'm not holding my breath.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crtaylor View Post

Sounds like other than 3G and a few new bells and whistles, it almost looks like the same old iPhone. I think the SDK is still promising, though. I just want this thing to come out in June like its rumored in Australia right now and not be tied down to AT&T, which is not the best service in the US right now.

The option for as many personalized apps via the SDK is a strong point. Plus, the iPhone is now in it's 7th OS version, with v2.0 to be the 8th.

What would you like to see?
  • Reply 9 of 40
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Perhaps a global spotlight like search that searches everything on the iPhone/iPod and separates it like the current spotlight interface.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The iPhone's fast UI and capacitance touchscreen make it much faster than any other phone or smartphone I've used. I probably won't be using the search feature much and, if I do, only if it can also search obscure information in the contact Notes.

Exactly. If I can search for restaurants in NYC or other such information without resorting to making groups, I'd use it.

Edit: What would be more helpful is if there was a global search app, so I can get email, contact info, and notes, etc all in a single window.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    Sideways-oriented keyboard and mail searching would pretty much round out the last few things I'm looking for out of this.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    dehgenogdehgenog Posts: 28member
    Does the SDK provide support for conduit data management? (i.e. can a 3rd party make a ToDo list that syncs with iCal?)
  • Reply 13 of 40
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Exchange Notes and Tasks support, please.

How about the iPhone actually sync notes and to-dos from Mail on OSX? Geez, it's a no-brainer!
  • Reply 14 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k squared View Post

Edit: What would be more helpful is if there was a global search app, so I can get email, contact info, and notes, etc all in a single window.

Good idea! I have seen no evidence that Apple will create this, but I also no reason why a savvy coder couldn't make a Universal Spotlight Search app for Mobile OS X. I might even pay $.99 for such an app if it was done well enough and would search any other 3rd-party app that maintained a database.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    No, the most glaring feature is not the lack of a search for a contact. That is what the little alpha navigation on the right of the contact screen is for.

Why can't we search emails?

Also... why can't we read emails using the landscape mode? Here's a no brainer.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    k2directork2director Posts: 194member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

How about the iPhone actually sync notes and to-dos from Mail on OSX? Geez, it's a no-brainer!

Totally agree...especially about To Dos. To Dos are a fundamental part of personal time management, and are supported by every phone (let alone smart phones) I can think of. They're built into iCal and Mail, and it's just strange and idiotic that Apple hasn't bothered to support them in the iPhone by now.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    thorgethorge Posts: 3member
    I am still desperately missing the sync function of ms to do's (iCal).

And - even my old iPod video was capable to so that - I'd like organize different calendars in my iPhone (e.g. different colors)!

Further more the German keyboard is a desaster: there is no option to manually type certain characters (such as ä, ö, ü) and word recognition isn't learning :-(

Apple: PLEASE don't disappoint us again!

Thorge
  • Reply 18 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k2director View Post

Totally agree...especially about To Dos. To Dos are a fundamental part of personal time management, and are supported by every phone (let alone smart phones) I can think of. They're built into iCal and Mail, and it's just strange and idiotic that Apple hasn't bothered to support them in the iPhone by now.

With all the other syncng going on the inability to sync Notes and To-Dos makes no sense no sense to me. The inclusion of these in Mail and connection with iCal made me think this was a guaranteed feature once Leopard was released. I would have bet money on it.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Good idea! I have seen no evidence that Apple will create this, but I also no reason why a savvy coder couldn't make a Universal Spotlight Search app for Mobile OS X. I might even pay $.99 for such an app if it was done well enough and would search any other 3rd-party app that maintained a database.

Wow Sol, 99 cents. That should get the developers slavering.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Sounds like other than 3G and a few new bells and whistles, it almost looks like the same old iPhone.

You are just looking at the surface. A lot is changing under the hood.

Apple has a few user interface patents for mobile devices that have not yet been used.

It'll probably be like the Leopard beta. Where the UI was the same as Tiger and Apple did not reveal the new UI until Leopard was launched.