Nike+ on its way to iPhone and iPod touch

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The Nike+ Sport Kit released two years ago for use exclusively with Apple's iPod nano digital music player is finally getting an upgrade that will see support extended to iPhone and iPod touch.

Word of the update comes by way of Stuff.tv's Mark Wilson, who picked up the tip during a tour of Nike's Beaverton, Oregon-based headquarters, in which he also got to check out distinct pieces of footwear the shoemaker has crafted for each of the 32 Summer Olympic sports.

"The first piece of news is that Nike+ will definitely be extending its compatibility beyond the iPod Nano to the iPhone and iPod Touch," he wrote. "No surprise there really, but the interesting detail is that it could also make use of both devices Wi-Fi (and, ultimately for the iPhone, 3G capability) to let you update your training log on the fly."

With the existing version of the kit, runners must first return to their Mac or PC, dock their iPod nano, launch iTunes, and then push their latest performance data to the Nike+ website. But with the new application written for the iPhone and iPod touch -- presumably via Apple's iPhone SDK -- runners will be able to beam that data to the website wirelessly the instant they complete their workout.

The wireless feature is said to be particularly suited for use with Nike+ Coach, a new feature of the Nike+ website launched this week that simulates the experiencing of having a personal trainer schedule training runs based around the Sport Kit's 5k, 10k, half marathon or full marathon programs.

Launched in May of 2006, the $30 Nike + iPod Sport Kit for the iPod nano immediately became a runaway success, selling over 450,000 units in less than 90 days. Since then, it's believed Nike and Apple have gone on to sell millions more.

In fact, the response was so overwhelming that by early 2007 Nike said that it had sold over 3 million Nike+ compatible running shoes and as a result would build support for the iPod technology into every single pair of running shoes by the end of 2007.

See more photos of the Nike+ iPod Sport Kit

Recently, however, a couple of revelations have raised questions about the success of the Nike + iPod franchise going forward. In October, AppleInsider noted that Nike and Apple were jointly hit with a lawsuit over the technology, one seemingly of considerable merit.

In the 8-page complaint, a Utah-based athletic company alleged that it had patented similar technology in 1998 and then pitched a license to Nike two years later. According to the suit, the shoemaker sternly denied interest only to come to market with the same concept under the Nike+ moniker six years later.

Still, the largest threat to the performance-gauging technology may be Apple itself, which as AppleInsider exclusively revealed last month, is developing its own full-fledged digital lifestyle fitness companion that's far more functional and feature-rich than the Nike+ offerings.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    Am I the only one that all I have to say is "About time!"?
  • Reply 2 of 23
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Why the heck would anyone run with an iPod Touch or iPhone?

The reason it works with the Nano is because of it's diminutive size. Personally I think it looks idiotic with a brick like object in an armband.

One more thing. This Nike+ receiver needs a user replaceable battery. Mine died after only 9 months of regular use.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

Am I the only one that all I have to say is "About time!"?

It likely won't arrive until after the launch of the App Store in late June, but I question how many people really run with their iPhones and iPod touches. I prefer the lightweight nanos, personally. I'd also hate to get stuck in the rain with my iPhone strapped to my arm.

For similar reasons, I also question the use of the multi-touch devices at the gym, for weightlifting as Apple's lifestyle fitness systems appears to incorporate. One wrong move, misplaced weight, or brush against the abundance of heavy steel machines and your touchscreen is a goner...

Best,

K
  • Reply 4 of 23
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

The reason it works with the Nano is because of it's diminutive size. Personally I think it looks idiotic with a brick like object in an armband..

I think that is the first time I've seen the iPhone referred to as a brick.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Quote:

The reason it works with the Nano is because of it's diminutive size. Personally I think it looks idiotic with a brick like object in an armband.

Agreed. I run with the Nano and Nike+. Would never run with the iPhone or iPod Touch. Though these devices are remarkably slim for their usual purposes, they're way too big for running.

That said, this might appeal to more casual runners/walkers.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    I for one run with my iPhone all the time ever since I got a Garmin Forerunner 305. Yes, I do have an iPod Nano - but since it is not the latest version and only holds 4GB I prefer my 8GB iPhone. Also, while it might seem like I'm a slave to the phone a tad too much, I do want to have the option of answering an important call if I so wish even though it is very rare that I would. Being in a freelance working environment it sometimes means the difference between booking a job or being unemployed. Also, since my work from time to time takes me out of town for extended periods I often find my self in areas where the GPS coverage is less than ideal. It is always great to have a way to measure approximately how far I've gone when this happens.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    whine: Now how about getting my APPLE branded FM Radio Remote working with the touch????

Had to whine, apologies.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    I'm an avid mountain biker. If they could release something that could integrate Google Maps with a training application on the Nano/iPhone/whatever, that would be awesome.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

I'm an avid mountain biker. If they could release something that could integrate Google Maps with a training application on the Nano/iPhone/whatever, that would be awesome.

Now there's a good usage for Nike+. Come up with a secure handlebar mount for your iPod Touch and along with GoogleMaps, you're good to go anywhere.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Yeah, it's a shame a little thing like a AM/FM radio receiver card couldn't be offered as an add-on to either the Touch or iPhone... something like a memory card you could pop in for greater functionality.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Yeah, it's a shame a little thing like a AM/FM radio receiver card couldn't be offered as an add-on to either the Touch or iPhone... something like a memory card you could pop in for greater functionality.

A radio on these devices could have a nice screen full of big preset buttons. It could be really cool. It really bugs me.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    [QUOTE=satchmo;1239138]Why the heck would anyone run with an iPod Touch or iPhone?

QUOTE]

You are kidding- right? I thought people even have sex with iPhones. It's a new human appendage from what I gather here.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think that is the first time I've seen the iPhone referred to as a brick.

Most gyms ban cell phones anyway so the people with the iPhone look utterly ridiculous with that attached to their arms. He /she means that it does have a brick footprint.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macinthe408

Quote:

Now there's a good usage for Nike+. Come up with a secure handlebar mount for your iPod Touch and along with GoogleMaps, you're good to go anywhere.

iPhone maybe, because the Touch has no internet connection aside from wireless so your mountain would have to be a wireless base station.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

A radio on these devices could have a nice screen full of big preset buttons. It could be really cool. It really bugs me.

Which part bugs you? The part where Apple doesn't want you to listen to radio, or the part about a nice big screen? Have a nice weekend (hey, I didn't start this trend, I'm just perpetuating it)...
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Soon iphone will be able to act as your personal trainer and project an image of a buff trainer shouting motivational slogans at you.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    doggonedoggone Posts: 377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

What if Apple are developing a new receiver. An HD radio compatible one with song tagging would be uber cool. You could listen to songs, press a button when you hear one you like and DL it then and there.

For me song tagging is the most important feature for the iPod and the music industry in general. it could redefine music sales and provide an impetus for record labels and radio stations to make and play a more interesting selection of songs.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Quote:

One more thing. This Nike+ receiver needs a user replaceable battery. Mine died after only 9 months of regular use.

That's very interesting. My receiver gets power from the Nano it's plugged into. Doesn't yours?
  • Reply 19 of 23
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post

That's very interesting. My receiver gets power from the Nano it's plugged into. Doesn't yours?

He's referring to the shoe receiver/transmitter.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HTwidescreen View Post

I for one run with my iPhone all the time ever since I got a Garmin Forerunner 305. Yes, I do have an iPod Nano - but since it is not the latest version and only holds 4GB I prefer my 8GB iPhone. Also, while it might seem like I'm a slave to the phone a tad too much, I do want to have the option of answering an important call if I so wish even though it is very rare that I would. Being in a freelance working environment it sometimes means the difference between booking a job or being unemployed. Also, since my work from time to time takes me out of town for extended periods I often find my self in areas where the GPS coverage is less than ideal. It is always great to have a way to measure approximately how far I've gone when this happens.

Where do you not get a GPS signal. The purpose of GPS is to provide nearly global coverage. I have a Garmin 305, a Garmin Map60 CSx, and a Nokia N82, travel to all parts of the world and not once has any of these devices failed to get a signal to track. I would say your device is faulty or it needs an upgrade. There are several upgrades that improved the sensativity of the 305 receiver. You might need to check into this.