More unofficial Mac clones up for sale on eBay

Comments

• Reply 161 of 329
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

It's obvious that you care more about retaliating me than forming an intelligent response to any of the valid counter-arguments I propose.

The iMac has always tried to be the "everyman's computer" and Apple's vision for it has always been to epitomize simplistic/"futuristic" home computing. BY THEIR OWN CLAIM, it simplifies computing by cutting the cords. HOWEVER, it necessitates the use of many external dongles for expansion... harddrives, hubs, perhaps a BluRay Drive in a few months... ANY non-user-replaceable upgrade must be attached via wire to the iMac. Sort of defeats the purpose of creating the simplest, cleanest computer there is, does it not?

The POINT is that is doesn't. Many devices you claim to require wires are easily wireless and there are Apple products to support them. So the claim that it necessitates the use of dongles for expansion is clearly false. Saying it's more expensive is not a counter to that given that Apple products have traditionally been more expensive.

Thus you choose to ignore HOW to accompish what you say cannot because there is no rejoinder other than you think I'm being mean. You COULD simply address the fact that there ARE wireless devices for all but ONE of your item list. Except, of course, if you do so then your complain has no merit.

The ONLY device in your list that would require an external wired device is a blu-ray drive. Arguably Apple's strategy is to avoid Blu-Ray in favor of iTunes downloads.

Quote:

Noting the irony of this flaw was the only point I was trying to make. Leave it to you to either attempt to write my arguments off as "whining" or blow my statements out of proportion.

Except that it isn't a flaw unless you choose to make it one by not using the product set that Apple provides. Therefore it isn't "irony" but "whining".
  • Reply 162 of 329
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

It's the machine Apple prices for everyone who's not a power user or a power abuser. I believe the OP wrote "everyman," meaning an average guy who's not very computer literate, not "everyone."

Neither everyman nor everyone can afford an iMac. Those that do can likely find the financial resources to make it wireless if they desire to do so. We're talking about an AEBS if you don't mind wired keyboard and mouse.

Quote:

You'll have to excuse me if I don't remember "whining" about cords. Probably because I didn't. In fact, I actually wrote that I don't care about extra cords, as evidenced by the jungle of 50 or so cords next to my desk.

The OP was whining about cords, hence my post you responded to. If you don't care about wires then there's no point of contention is there?

Unless you somehow don't believe that Apple's design minimizes (largely eliminates) the use of permanently wired devices through the inclusion of Bluetooth and 802.11N in every iMac standard and USB printer and drive support in the AEBS?
  • Reply 163 of 329
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

Wow, you are really being sour for some reason. Clive is right - the iMac is only clean and neat up to a point, and afterwards, it's just as much of a mess or more than a tower. Optical drives, TV tuners, sound cards, that stuff simply isn't done with wireless.

Yes, there are components that require wires like a TV tuner. But for the most part you don't need a tangle of wires to make the most common expansions AND Apple strategy is to minimize both the need for additional optical (Blu-Ray) and TV tuners through iTunes.

I'm being "sour" because Clive is picking nits. The guy won't even admit that the mini can play back 1080HD and complains because it can't play games. I've watched 1080p H.264 streams from my dad's mini. It's fully capable of playback and its an older Core Duo.

That it can't play 3D games with anything approaching usable framerates is a given.

Quote:

Even with the gear you suggest like NAS, Time Machine, wireless printer, etc. when the additional cost for the wireless gear can add up to a significant part of the iMac's price

That depends on placement. You don't NEED anything more than an AEBS to which you can attach your printer and an external drive.

Quote:

it's pretty freaking far from competetive versus a simple tower that accommodates that functionality with no extra cost.

The difference being desktop footprint and style. If you have a desk where you can hide a tower you can have one usb cable to a hub with all the extras like tuners and minimized clutter. Of course there's no "extra cost" given a tower is cheaper to design and build overall.

Um...why would you want a sound card with an iMac?
  • Reply 164 of 329
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Um...why would you want a sound card with an iMac?

I frequent another Mac forum, in another language. I get the vibe that about every second person there has a firewire sound card, driving a pair of active studio monitors, as their desktop audio solution. I don't know how good iMac's audio out is but apparently there's room for improvement with 300+? monitors.

One guy even picked up a soundcard because he had just gotten an iMac and already had cheap multimedia surround speakers with triple analog inputs. It was a sorta weird decision for speakers that cheap, certainly, but he wanted surround for some reason and in the circumstances that was the most direct way to get it.

And then there's the occasional guy who makes music - of course *they* have so much gear that a few more or less wires and boxes in that mess aren't very noticeable.
  • Reply 165 of 329
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member
    Quote:

iMac + wireless keyboard and mouse + 802.11n to AEBS (or Time Capsule) with a NAS or airport drive + printer/scanner combo (like the Lexmark or HP) w/802.11 = 1 cord for power.

Sorry, but for the most part, all you did was move the cords some place else. You haven't got rid of them. I have an iMac and it has 4 cords coming out: power, iPod , printer, and mouse (because the scroll ball on the POS Mighty Mouse stopped working). I guess I could plug the printer into the Airport Express, but I don't want to walk to the living room every time I print something.
  • Reply 166 of 329
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Ah, another xMac thread. Comedy gold. Nope no one wants an xMac, oops. There's a thriving hackintosh community. Now, lo and behold, some young enterprising entrepreneurs think they can actually make money selling an xMac. Now enter ebay. This has got to be driving Apple crazy.

If they intentionally create updates borking the hackintosh community this will create bad will amongst the hobbyist/geeks(who pose no real threat to Apple). It will also take resources away from actual productive work that could be used for the OS, and ultimately will be circumvented by the hackintosh community. If they sue Pystar based on EULAs and lose, big oops.

Nope, there's no hole in Apple's line-up.
  • Reply 167 of 329
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Guys, You cannot satisfy everyone out there. However, I guess some people think they are still living in the late 1990s early 2000s when computers were cheap and full of junk features that you never need. I really believe that DVD and possibly media drives will start to disappear from the "average" computers. Flash drives are getting larger and cheaper by the day and they are more reliable. I know most people here will disagree because they make their living working on computers, remember I said "average". If you make your living working on computers then a one time $2000~$3000 investment in high end computer every 3 years should not be a problem. Most home users need a computer for internet related activities, word processing, and digital photography. Most people prefer to watch movies on their TV screens instead of their computers and that's why Apple released AppleTV, which I think is great device but need further price reduction.

The iMac and Mac Mini are targeted at two different markets. During my 20 years with computers, I came out with the conclusion that RAM and HDD upgrades are waste of money. Adding more RAM will never get the speed gain you think you will (like 1 sec. decrease in web browser lunch is worth it!).
  • Reply 168 of 329
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickag View Post

Ah, another xMac thread. Comedy gold. Nope no one wants an xMac, oops. There's a thriving hackintosh community. Now, lo and behold, some young enterprising entrepreneurs think they can actually make money selling an xMac. Now enter ebay. This has got to be driving Apple crazy.

If they intentionally create updates borking the hackintosh community this will create bad will amongst the hobbyist/geeks(who pose no real threat to Apple). It will also take resources away from actual productive work that could be used for the OS, and ultimately will be circumvented by the hackintosh community. If they sue Pystar based on EULAs and lose, big oops.

These guys aren't selling an xMac. They're selling an aborted attempt at an xMac.

So far, the only company who could sell an xMac is Apple.
  • Reply 169 of 329
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Sorry, but for the most part, all you did was move the cords some place else. You haven't got rid of them.

Remote hard drive via Timecapsule. NAS with 802.11N built in might be available. I haven't looked for one. USB or Firewire cable gone.

Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. USB cables gone.

Printer with 802.11g/n. USB cable gone.

Quote:

I have an iMac and it has 4 cords coming out: power, iPod , printer, and mouse (because the scroll ball on the POS Mighty Mouse stopped working). I guess I could plug the printer into the Airport Express, but I don't want to walk to the living room every time I print something.

So get a printer with a 802.11g/n module capability. The addon network card for Lexmark printers is $49.99 MSRP and plugs into several models. Other printers come with 802.11 built in.

iPod...eventually iPods will sync over wireless USB or 802.11. Until then, yes, you'd need two wires connected to your iMac.

The minimum you need is AEBS but you do end up with cords elsewhere. You can incrementally improve your infrastructure over time to move from partially wireless to completely wireless except for power and removable media (iPods, digital cameras, camcorders, etc).
  • Reply 170 of 329
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

I frequent another Mac forum, in another language. I get the vibe that about every second person there has a firewire sound card, driving a pair of active studio monitors, as their desktop audio solution. I don't know how good iMac's audio out is but apparently there's room for improvement with 300+€ monitors.

I'd probably rather push digital out to a AV receiver rather than go the active monitor route. But that's just personal preference but it's hard to avoid wires when we're talking decent audio. One extra FW isn't going to mean much to the look of the desk...although I guess you could stream audio to an airport express and mount your speakers into the walls with no wires showing.
  • Reply 171 of 329
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Which is it? You claim AIOs are growing at the expense of towers while others claim laptops are growing at the expense of all desktops.

Are you not aware that notebook and iMac marketshare are both increasing while PC tower marketshare is falling? By the way, since we are talking about move from a user assembled, component-based computer to a simpler AIO machine we can add notebooks to the AIO category since they are, in fact, everything one needs in a single package. How much more obvious can it be that the average person just wants something clean and simple to use?
  • Reply 172 of 329
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    melgross

Per your comment I corrected my earlier post to read:

----

Ah, another xMac thread. Comedy gold. Nope no one wants an xMac, oops. There's a thriving hackintosh community. Now, lo and behold, some young enterprising entrepreneurs think they can actually make money selling an "aborted attempt at an xMac" . Now enter ebay. This has got to be driving Apple crazy.

----

Thank you for correcting me. It makes it even more hilarious.
  • Reply 173 of 329
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickag View Post

melgross

Per your comment I corrected my earlier post to read:

----

Ah, another xMac thread. Comedy gold. Nope no one wants an xMac, oops. There's a thriving hackintosh community. Now, lo and behold, some young enterprising entrepreneurs think they can actually make money selling an "aborted attempt at an xMac" . Now enter ebay. This has got to be driving Apple crazy.

----

Thank you for correcting me. It makes it even more hilarious.

I get your point. Actually there are quite a few of us here, on these boards, who WOULD like to see an xMac, whatever that may mean.

The question is whether Apple would sell enough of them to make up for the loss in sales from all the other desktop lines.

I think that business would be the biggest possibility, not the consumer. But, Apple isn't much interested in that yet.

Maybe if they do decide to get back into that market, we will see one.
  • Reply 174 of 329
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I get your point. Actually there are quite a few of us here, on these boards, who WOULD like to see an xMac, whatever that may mean.

The question is whether Apple would sell enough of them to make up for the loss in sales from all the other desktop lines.

I think that business would be the biggest possibility, not the consumer. But, Apple isn't much interested in that yet.

Maybe if they do decide to get back into that market, we will see one.

"It's really hard to design products by focus groups. A lot of times, people don't know what they want until you show it to them." Steve Jobs
  • Reply 175 of 329
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:

Two minutes to open it dummy.

I already stated I am Polish. Isn't calling me a dummy a little redundant?\
  • Reply 176 of 329
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

"It's really hard to design products by focus groups. A lot of times, people don't know what they want until you show it to them." Steve Jobs

Could you explain that?

He's referring to consumer products, you know.
  • Reply 177 of 329
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

I already stated I am Polish. Isn't calling me a dummy a little redundant?\

I don't equate the two.

I also thought it was obvious as to what I had meant about the time.
  • Reply 178 of 329
    Quote:

Could you explain that?

He's referring to consumer products, you know.

I guess it is self explanatory. Apple is consumer and small business products company. Here is another nice quote from SJ from 2005 regarding hacking Mac OS X for intel to work on PCs:

?We don?t know how having OS X available for PCs would affect Macs, We will have technology in OS X for Intel so that it cannot be installed in other PCs.?

Seems they still didn't quite close the hole.
  • Reply 179 of 329
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I guess it is self explanatory. Apple is consumer and small business products company. Here is another nice quote from SJ from 2005 regarding hacking Mac OS X for intel to work on PCs:

?We don?t know how having OS X available for PCs would affect Macs, We will have technology in OS X for Intel so that it cannot be installed in other PCs.?

Seems they still didn't quite close the hole.

That's close to impossible. It would have to be hardware encoded, and they haven't done that yet.
  • Reply 180 of 329
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

The OP was whining about cords, hence my post you responded to. If you don't care about wires then there's no point of contention is there?

And yet you replied and quoted MY message, not his, accusing ME of whining. If you're going to use language like that, you'd better make damn sure you're addressing the right person.

Quote:

Unless you somehow don't believe that Apple's design minimizes (largely eliminates) the use of permanently wired devices through the inclusion of Bluetooth and 802.11N in every iMac standard and USB printer and drive support in the AEBS?

Nobody said otherwise. I just don't want to pay extra for wireless this, that and the other thing when wired works perfectly for me. Wireless keyboards cost more, as do wireless mice, printers, drives, Airport Express, etc. I also don't like the idea of broadcasting any data I access on my hard drive, WPA2 or no WPA2.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Are you not aware that notebook and iMac marketshare are both increasing while PC tower marketshare is falling? By the way, since we are talking about move from a user assembled, component-based computer to a simpler AIO machine we can add notebooks to the AIO category since they are, in fact, everything one needs in a single package. How much more obvious can it be that the average person just wants something clean and simple to use?

There's a big difference between an AIO and a notebook. A notebook has one big advantage: it's portable. People think they're going to take it places or that it'll be easier to take down to the shop if it needs service. So they think. I know several people who bought laptops for just those reasons. Not desktop replacements, just low-end laptops. The laptops never leave their desks. Just where is this data that AIOs are stealing market share at the expense of towers? Citation, please.