Apple developing 3D gaming controller for Apple TV

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple in a new patent filing reveals that it is conducting research on a 3D remote control system for its Apple TV set-top box that would mimic the functionality of the Nintendo Wii controller and also deliver some features akin to its multi-touch technology.

In the November 2006 filing, published for the first time this week, the Cupertino-based electronics maker notes that the three-dimensional remote control systems can detect an absolute location to which a remote control is pointing in first and second orthogonal axes (e.g., the x- and y-axes) and an absolute position of the remote control in a third orthogonal axis (e.g., the z-axis).

By combining absolute position detection with relative position detection, the system can indicate changes in the position of the remote control as a user moves the controlling device among a 3D axis, a concept akin to the one employed by Nintendo in its widely successful Wii gaming console.

"[The] remote control system also can include optional console . Console can have controller that can perform some or all of the processing described for controller," the filing states in an obvious reference to Apple TV. "Console also can have one or more connectors to which accessories can be coupled. Accessories can include cables and/or, game cartridges, portable memory devices (e.g., memory cards, external hard drives, etc.), adapters for interfacing with another electronic device (e.g., computers, camcorders, cameras, media players, etc.), or combinations thereof."

It adds that, "the absolute x- and y-positions of [the] remote control can be used, for example, in video games to position a user's character or to otherwise track the movement of the remote control in a user's environment."

In addition, Apple notes, the remote control can also "zoom into and out of an image or a portion thereof based on the absolute position of the remote control in the third axis." Such functionality would appear to go hand in hand with the photo and video browser components of Apple TV, mimicking one aspect of its multi-touch present on the iPhone, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro.

Though Apple is just getting its feet wet with gaming on its accelerometer-enabled iPhone handsets, it has yet steer Apple TV in the same direction. However, there have been a number of hints over the past year to suggest it may only be a matter of time before the set-top-box, like the iPod and iPhone, will dual as a casual gaming console.

Last February, Greg Canessa of PopCap games singled out Apple TV as a platform he expects to embrace casual gaming over the next five years, and suggested that work was already in progress at his studio to deliver games for the device.

At the time, members of his team were said to be "taking the stable of franchises and games out of PopCap's studio and adapting, customizing it for different platforms -- adding multiplayer, new play modes, HD, customizing the user interface and display for Zune, ipod, Apple TV, Nintendo DS, PSP."

"[Casual games] are going to continue to grow into non-core demographics," he added. "This is relevant as it pertains to devices that are not currently earmarked as gaming devices: mobile, set-top boxes, Apple TV, MP3 players and other devices in the home that will reach the non-gamer --Â* people who donÂ?t think they want to play."

A month later, references to gaming on the Apple TV were discovered in the company's iTunes code.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 68
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    I'd assume if movie rentals / AppleTV sales are brisk, Apple will continue to enhance AppleTV. Haven't heard any hard data on either at this point.
  • Reply 2 of 68
    drjjonesdrjjones Posts: 162member
    Make games for Apple Tv and I'll buy one. But i have to have a need first.
  • Reply 3 of 68
    randyrandy Posts: 6member
    Now we're talking!!!
  • Reply 4 of 68
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Apple Is On A Roll!!!!
  • Reply 5 of 68
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Randy View Post

Now we're talking!!!

Apple often doesn't follow up a patent filing with an actual product.
  • Reply 6 of 68
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Apple TV doesn't have a very good 3d processor...
  • Reply 7 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

but it is better then the one in the mini
  • Reply 8 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

but it is better then the one in the mini

Apple TV 3, the XBOX killer.

3D graphics and rent your games online. Network your games online or LAN with other Apple TVs.

Cool!

Ed
  • Reply 9 of 68
    macpipmacpip Posts: 8member
    Surely part of this technology has already been patented by nintendo
  • Reply 10 of 68
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    I sadly think the patent info is being overblown into a gaming solution (more is being read into it than it really is). I think the patent is more targetted as a better on-screen remote for the Apple TV, than a controller for games. Then again, maybe I'm being too pessimistic.
  • Reply 11 of 68
    rogzillarogzilla Posts: 145member
    So here is the million dollar question...

Would this require new hardware or is the capability built in? Maybe that USB slot will finally have a purpose? Perhaps we plug a little something in that acts as the remote input receiver? Maybe even has a cable input for that DVR patent we saw?
  • Reply 12 of 68
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

If the Wii is any indication, it doesn't really need to be. A lot of fun can be had with a relatively simple game. I think the chip in the AppleTV is enough to take most of the same kind of games to HD. Because it's not an 8800 class chip doesn't mean it can't do games. Most people play video games of some sort, of that, the people that demand the graphics intensive games are a small subset.

If Apple does offer games, I don't expect it to be a primary selling feature, but more of a value added kind of thing.
  • Reply 13 of 68
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    It makes sense to me that this remote would be or include the iPhone/iPod Touch. This seems to coincide with the rumors going around using the iPhone as a touchscreen remote.

As for the Apple TV for gaming, I think it's plenty powerful for family games, not for GTA.
  • Reply 14 of 68
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    great news. tomorrow the world.
  • Reply 15 of 68
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 699member
    Exterior: Mariani Avenue, Cupertino CA.

Interior: Dolly through glass doors, pan across Bosendorfer piano.

Zoom to double doors, open, revealing tall figure, fifty-ish, close cropped grey hair, blaf mock turtleneck, stonewashed jeans, no belt.

POV reverses.

Waist-up shot, two asian men, black suits, hands outstretched, palms up, one holds a WII controller, the other a small pile of papers. They bow at the waist, simultaneously.

"Wii would like to sue you."
  • Reply 16 of 68
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    As long as they incorporate this, all will be well with the soon to be completely misnamed AppleTV (...Apple-izer?...iTainment?)
  • Reply 17 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

Exterior: Mariani Avenue, Cupertino CA.

Interior: Dolly through glass doors, pan across Bosendorfer piano.

Zoom to double doors, open, revealing tall figure, fifty-ish, close cropped grey hair, blaf mock turtleneck, stonewashed jeans, no belt.

POV reverses.

Waist-up shot, two asian men, black suits, hands outstretched, palms up, one holds a WII controller, the other a small pile of papers. They bow at the waist, simultaneously.

"Wii would like to sue you."

hahahaha *swish*

Undoubtedly Nintendo must hold the patent to this technology........ RIGHT??? You'd think, at least.

Either this will be denied by the patent board and Apple will have to license the technology, or they'll bully their way in *somehow*. I can't see how this is different enough from the Wii interface to warrant its own patent...

The Apple remote, however, lacks accelerometers... so at least it's not a dead knock-off... (or as I like to call them... "Konfabulators").

Still... leave it to Apple to bully their way into Nintendo's gaming scene. I will be very upset if Nintendo suffers at Apple's hand.

-Clive
  • Reply 18 of 68
    lukazlukaz Posts: 10member
    Guys, I think there's no way Apple will use this patent in the current AppleTV! Look at Wii!!

Wii may have an awesome controller, but the rest is a crap! Tell me what you like, folks, but I won't play a game only because the gameplay is good if my eyes burn every time time I look up to the screen. If Nintendo "saltied" the price of the Wii a bit more in exchange for a bit better graphics I would have bought one in the day it came out...

Now Apple doesn't make things half way. They normally sell more "spicy" products, both in features and in price. Now, think about the true second generation Apple TV, the ultimate all-in-one for television entertainment. The standard Apple TV features, but with a redesigned interdace and a OS for its own. more powerful hardware, with a better 3-axis point-sensing controll like the Wii's but not a dirty copy, something different. Perhaps with a touch screen of some sort in a part of the remote or covering the whole thing. Also some kind of support to a add-on for Touches/iPhones to become like the remote itself if its controll are 100% touchscreen. (A piece of hardware connected through the dock connector) It's powerful hardware can make gaming experience something of a wii/ps3, but with something Apple in it.

Even though Apple is now "Who needs physical discs to transfer data, wi-fi is the future, dude!!!", i think it would be wise also to include blu-ray, but as said before, Apple can survive well alone with Wi-fi, although one's DVD collection would turn useless and ATV would therefore not be the complete ultimate television entertainment all-in-one....
  • Reply 19 of 68
    nanoakronnanoakron Posts: 126member
    iPhone 2 as controller...modified AppleTV as console.

Awesome 3D input device, and the possibility to continue a mini-game as you carry the phone with you for the rest of the day.

Think WoW on crack...

-Nano.
  • Reply 20 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukaz View Post

Guys, I think there's no way Apple will use this patent in the current AppleTV! Look at Wii!!

Wii may have an awesome controller, but the rest is a crap! Tell me what you like, folks, but I won't play a game only because the gameplay is good if my eyes burn every time time I look up to the screen. If Nintendo "saltied" the price of the Wii a bit more in exchange for a bit better graphics I would have bought one in the day it came out...

You can't be serious, right? Before I start, I'd like to establish that I am a person who appreciates really good graphics.

1) I have had no problems with the graphical quality of the Wii. Certainly, it's not a polygon cruncher, but the only issues I've seen are with games that blatently attempt to squeeze more out of the Wii than they should. For development teams who know better, they produce beautiful images with beautiful rendering... most notably, Super Mario Galaxy. The art in the game is amazing... and I'm using the composite cables!!!! Also, there's more to a game than its graphics. There's story, gameplay, music, etc... If I were to look at xbox 360 and PS3, I would see only a couple really good reasons to consider buying one... Halo 3, GTA IV, and... uh... Call of Duty? ...maybe? The Wii has a number of really great games... Super Mario Galaxy, as mentioned, is spectacular and received a near-perfect score from all game reviews. Legend of Zelda is close behind, followed by other popular titles: Super Smash Brothers, Super Paper Mario, Mario Kart Wii... And it even has some popular shared titles like Guitar Hero, Rock Band, Resident Evil, and Bully. So in summary, the Wii is nothing to sneeze at, even as a serious gamer.

2) Admittedly, the Wii is aimed at a more general audience. It's long been said that graphics mean nothing unless the game is fun. The Wii has countless fun games with graphics which, to a gamer, would be considered poor. Yet the Wii has surpassed the 360 and PS3 in sales despite its technical drawbacks. Why? Because it's fun. That's what gaming is about... not amazing graphics. Sure they help, but they don't make the game.

Quote:

Now Apple doesn't make things half way. They normally sell more "spicy" products, both in features and in price...

Actually, Macs are quite feature-limited... even the MacPro has the option of only two or three graphics cards. If you're so obsessed with graphics, I would think you'd care about that.

Quote:

Even though Apple is now "Who needs physical discs to transfer data, wi-fi is the future, dude!!!", i think it would be wise also to include blu-ray, but as said before, Apple can survive well alone with Wi-fi, although one's DVD collection would turn useless and ATV would therefore not be the complete ultimate television entertainment all-in-one....

I don't think Apple will completely avoid Blu-Ray... after all, their own operating system is becoming large enough to fit on multiple DVDs... I wouldn't want to download 9 GB of data just to install my OS... Nor would I want to switch two or three DVDs in the install process. I had to do that with Panther's CDs and it was annoying as hell. Internet isn't fast enough to handle every would-be software/media purchase as a download. There just isn't enough bandwidth. Flash is still too expensive, so sooner or later, Apple will have to resort to optical media sooner or later. Now whether they will break down and add it to appleTV is subject to a another debate.

I will say this though. If they added it now before most people have purchased a Blu-Ray player, they could create the (as you say) "ultimate television entertainment all-in-one"

-Clive