Online Apple Stores run dry of iPhones

Comments

• Reply 41 of 68
    inkswampinkswamp Posts: 337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That sounds a little pouty to me. And it's not really true, there isn't as much inconsistency as you suggest.

Gee, should we go back through the last two years' worth and add up the time devoted on stage to iPhone vs. the Mac because I'm betting the iPhone beats the Mac hands-down. And the iPod is only really hyped where and when it gets iPhone-like features. I don't recall a special event for Leopard's release, but I sure as hell recall a special event hyping the as-yet-unreleased iPhone 2.0/SDK/app store.

I've followed Apple for over a decade, and their focus is very lopsided right now. They never did this with the iPod. It was always about 50/50 Mac and iPod. The Macs ares really starting to feel like an afterthought.
  • Reply 42 of 68
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Except for all the significant reasons you outline above

In any event OLED screens would be a big win.

I snipped the bogus stuff above but really had to highlight that ever little bit of power savings makes a huge difference on portable devices.

which doesn't really matter much when just about every iPhone made is scheduled to be replaced by the rabid masses intent on getting the latest from Apple.

If Apple delivers an OLED iPhone that is a folder, with a significantly larger screen, I will jump for joy.

Dave

Well another problem is that OLED displays are easily damaged by water vapor. The iPhone would have to be super-sealed.
  • Reply 43 of 68
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

As Engadget reports something is afoot. Apple cannot afford to leave retail channels empty of inventory for a whole month. Hell, it's almost 10% of the annual sales period. They'd be crazy.

No, I think this signifies that Apple is about to launch two new iPhones. One should arrive within days, the other will be launched at the WWDC. If this is the case, it will be fascinating to see how they differ. Of course, I may be wrong. But Apple needs a new iPhone now and it needs to be able to launch something iPhone-related with a fanfare at WWDC.

It certainly will hurt sales, but I wonder if Apple planned to cancel this model and is not ready for the iPhone yet that they may not have any choice. In other words, the factories are no long set up to manufacturer the 1st generation iPhone but the 2nd generation iPhone is not ready to debut. Could they have miscalculated their supply needs so drastically?
  • Reply 44 of 68
    Quote:

As Engadget reports something is afoot. Apple cannot afford to leave retail channels empty of inventory for a whole month. Hell, it's almost 10% of the annual sales period. They'd be crazy.

No, I think this signifies that Apple is about to launch two new iPhones. One should arrive within days, the other will be launched at the WWDC. If this is the case, it will be fascinating to see how they differ. Of course, I may be wrong. But Apple needs a new iPhone now and it needs to be able to launch something iPhone-related with a fanfare at WWDC.

I still think there will be a iphone and iphone "pro"
  • Reply 45 of 68
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Despite all this hoopla, could Apple still fail by pricing being greedy and overpricing this new 3G iPhone?

Yes, the current iPhone sold in record numbers despite priced at $499 and $599. But there was also a backlash once when price cuts happened within a few months. People may be more weary of jumping in so quickly this time around.

And although rumours have said the new iPhones could be discounted as low as $200 with a contract, it's possible Apple will be like Apple has in the past and overpriced things. If we were to see 3G iPhones at $599 and $699 (16gb and 32gb respectively), would people still be lining up?
  • Reply 46 of 68
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Everyone things that they can just roll 3G iPhones with an early 2.0 OS.

Actually, I doubt that ALOT.

You see, they aren't just tweaking the visual elements or bugs in the betas. They are actually changing complete API's.

For example, one of the API's changed every program on the Phone with a tab bar not too far back. They completely changed what the Tab Bar was, how it worked programmatically, and differentiated two different type of tabbars (toolbars and tabbars)

The iPhone OS is nowhere near ready to load onto a non-testing device until around the start of June, as it will muck completely with developers.
  • Reply 47 of 68
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Maybe, but still unlikely. I find it more likely that 3G iPhone will be announced at the WWDC and it will be released Friday, June 27th at 5pm. J think the reason the 2.5G version is unavailable is because they are discontinuing that model completely and under assumed the supply demands which were heightened by the EU telcos discounting the device.

Yeah, I agree with the undersupply. (And Apple will have pushed to get the new phones ready quicker, rather than make more of the current model.)

However... I wonder why they allowed the price drops in Europe if it's that simple? It's almost as if they wanted it to run out simultaneously.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

we should hear some announcement about the iPhone in the next week or two even if it's just a non-specific teaser on their website to keep people interested.

Yeah... perhaps the original plan was demonstrate and announce at WWDC, release later. If they can push it up, perhaps they'll announce a new model now, and demonstrate and release at WWDC?

Or as someone else said, release a minor update of the phone now, but release the full 3G + GPS version in WWDC.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GoodOmens View Post

I still think there will be a iphone and iphone "pro"

We need a website where we can lodge all sorts of our Apple predictions and be unable to change them. Then we can lookup who was closest

I'm going for 2 models:

1) 2.8inch 2G nano-coloured iPhone with same functions as current

2) 3.5inch 3G black iPhone with GPS, video chat

oh, and

3) no idea what they'll do with the iPod Touch.
  • Reply 48 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post

3G iPhone is immenant. This Tuesday.

their iPhone developer conference is June 9-13 (or 16th), it will be announced then. 1 month and the world is put to right again.
  • Reply 49 of 68
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

It certainly will hurt sales, .... Could they have miscalculated their supply needs so drastically?

Oh, I don't know about that. They had a business plan (with a new product intro in place) that was premised on a certain demand figure. They met that number a few weeks earlier than planned, completely cleared channel inventory, and are gearing up the whole system for a new product.

The increased cash flow benefits (of zero inventory) + media buzz that is like millions of dollars worth of ad spending more than make up any lost sales.

Sounds brilliant to me.
  • Reply 50 of 68
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Quote:

It certainly will hurt sales, but I wonder if Apple planned to cancel this model and is not ready for the iPhone yet that they may not have any choice. In other words, the factories are no long set up to manufacturer the 1st generation iPhone but the 2nd generation iPhone is not ready to debut. Could they have miscalculated their supply needs so drastically?

If that's really the case then someone at Apple's forecasting department should get fired.

Losing 1 1/2 months of sales (assuming no iPhone will be available until June 27th) is very bad, and expensive. Not only in lost sales but also in lost mindshare.

Potential buyers will simply look for other smart phones. Not good at all.

And you can't just say this is 'Wii-like unavailability hype'. It simply very poor forecasting. Someone just didn't do their job properly. Period.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The increased cash flow benefits (of zero inventory) + media buzz that is like millions of dollars worth of ad spending more than make up any lost sales.

Sounds great on paper, but still hides the fact that they could have sold an extra 1,000,000+ (1 million!) phones if they hadn't miscalculated their forecasts (1 1/2 months of lost sales on roughly 10mio phones per year).
  • Reply 51 of 68
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

their iPhone developer conference is June 9-13 (or 16th), it will be announced then. 1 month and the world is put to right again.

I can't remember exactly, but the attendance last year was record setting.

Obviously, this year will it will blow the roof off. Hundreds of new ADC members will be there, primarily to show off there new iPhone apps. Some will be center staged by Jobs himself. Some will be lone-wolf developers, Some from the Fortune 100.

Certainly, it will be a dog-fight to get awareness, trial and instant usage.

For that, it would be best to have the new iPhone in hands. And on that, if I may suggest, the new iPhone will be available prior to the doors opening to the keynote for the WWDC 2008.
  • Reply 52 of 68
    sigs21sigs21 Posts: 82member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

Everyone things that they can just roll 3G iPhones with an early 2.0 OS.

Actually, I doubt that ALOT.

You see, they aren't just tweaking the visual elements or bugs in the betas. They are actually changing complete API's.

For example, one of the API's changed every program on the Phone with a tab bar not too far back. They completely changed what the Tab Bar was, how it worked programmatically, and differentiated two different type of tabbars (toolbars and tabbars)

The iPhone OS is nowhere near ready to load onto a non-testing device until around the start of June, as it will muck completely with developers.

Unless you are Steve Jobs, there would be no way of knowing if it was ready.. Apple worked on the first version for 3 years before even saying anything about it... At this point I would not be surprised if they have it ready but had a target date in June.. The people dont bitch about a new 15 days after they bought there iphone 1.0.. and cant return it and its cheaper then what they paid..

Has anyone check to see if physical stores have them still ..
  • Reply 53 of 68
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    something isn't right about losing 6 weeks of iphone sales

if they had some v1 left do a price drop like any other retailer does.

this could not have been part of some "strategy" makes no retail sense.

no retailer wants to be without product to sell....that's what they do sell

so may early june sales are going down down down

unless apple says who cares it just drives the consumer to a frenzy....except without product

those that are not opiate addicted to apple WILL BUY SOMETHING ELSE. LIKE BLACKBERRY

RIM might make some awesome sales pitch the next 6 weeks

RETAIL ISN'T IN A VACUUM.....there are competitors licking their chops over "no iphones available"

maybe apple is creating a new paradigm run out of product clear your channels completly before new products comes on board.....geeeee makes sense to NO ONE.
  • Reply 54 of 68
    jjgeightjjgeight Posts: 2member
    You can still buy the 16GB iPhone's off O2. They are still in stock in their store.

• Reply 55 of 68
    probablyprobably Posts: 139member
    Maybe this is their way of flickering the lights at intermission to tell us the show is about to begin

That would be really strange to not sell any for that many weeks.
  • Reply 56 of 68
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sigs21 View Post

Has anyone check to see if physical stores have them still ..

Yep, I was in two Apple stores in Georgia yesterday (Lennox & Mall of GA) and both had plenty of stock.

And what shocked me is folks are still buying them up at full freight. Oh well, live and learn.
  • Reply 57 of 68
    Quote:

Apple cannot afford to leave retail channels empty of inventory for a whole month.

And they're not.

Retail stores still have iPhones in stock. Apple has discontinued on-line sales in order to assist partners in depleting their existing stockpile.

I don't expect to see 1st gen iPhones at the Apple on-line store until the new iPhone is formally announced.
  • Reply 58 of 68
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    If Apple releases the iPhone in the next couple of days, version 2.0 of the software will simply be a software update. I doubt it will be ready by WWDC anyway so releasing the 3G iPhone ahead of June would make sense.
  • Reply 59 of 68
    probablyprobably Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amac4me View Post

If Apple releases the iPhone in the next couple of days, version 2.0 of the software will simply be a software update. I doubt it will be ready by WWDC anyway so releasing the 3G iPhone ahead of June would make sense.

So you're saying they're secretly forking support for 3G radios, GPS, [videoconferencing] and whatever else into a 1.1.5 release?
  • Reply 60 of 68
    Respectfully, on att.com you can still order the iPhone.