SingTel to offer iPhone out East; TIM chief says 3G model in June

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Singapore-based SingTel has announced plans to offer Apple's iPhone in parts of Asia and Australia, while Telecom Italia Mobile's chief executive has pinpointed June as a time when Italians will be able to purchase a 3G model of the handset.

In a brief statement to the press on Monday, SingTel said it has signed an agreement with Apple to offer the iPhone in Singapore, India, the Philippines and Australia through its subsidiaries -- Bharti Airtel, Globe and Optus-- later this year.

Â*

The announcement indicates that SingTel will be the second wireless provider to offer the touch-screen handset in India and Australia, joining Vodafone which previously announced its intention to service those countries in the near term, along with eight other markets.

Meanwhile, ElectronicsWeekly's David Manners is reporting on a conversation he had with TIM chief executive Luigi Licciardi, in which the Italian mobile headman is said to have confirmed that a 3G iPhone will be available for purchase in Italy during the month of June.

"We will be selling an iPhone with 3G capability next month," he told Manners on a bus ride to dinner following the first day of the International Electronics Forum in Dubai.

Over the weekend, Apple's online stores in both the U.S. and U.K. abruptly stopped taking orders for the current versions of the iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    drjjonesdrjjones Posts: 162member
    just can't believe Apple won't be selling phones till late June. I thought Steve was smarter than this . He sure screwed up this time. Maybe we can piss him off if he reads this and he will change his mind .
  • Reply 2 of 23
    emerge3demerge3d Posts: 16member
    With the Apple Store, Carphone Warehouse & O2 all out of stock, common sense that would suggest the 3G handset announcement is imminent, with or without the media hype build up. What is Apple up to? Do they have an ace card up their sleeve? Time will tell I guess...
  • Reply 3 of 23
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drjjones View Post

just can't believe Apple won't be selling phones till late June. I thought Steve was smarter than this . He sure screwed up this time. Maybe we can piss him off if he reads this and he will change his mind .

Where did you read in this article that the phone wouldn't be available until late June?
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Where did you read in this article that the phone wouldn't be available until late June?

No mention in this article but AT&T talks about vacation time refusals on june 15th and 27th was mentioned as most expected time .
  • Reply 5 of 23
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,402member
    Quote:

I thought Steve was smarter than this . He sure screwed up this time. .

It is possible that he is much smarter than you think.

1) He is clearing out inventory of a previous generation product;

2) He is minimizing the number of product returns that he has to deal with and providing at least a two-week window before stopping sales on the current version and introducing the new product (as has been pointed out by others many times before);

3) If you were possibly in the market for a smartphone/iPhone these past few weeks (or the next few), you'd have to be illiterate and living on Mars if you didn't know that there was a 3G iPhone coming. Apple is being very smart in recognizing that the cat was well out of the bag (see, e.g., the loudmouth from TIM), and that people's purchase decisions would be affected.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Quote:

No mention in this article but AT&T talks about vacation time refusals on june 15th and 27th was mentioned as most expected time .

So, if the iPhone launched on June 15th, you would consider that late June?

Is this the same source that you got to state previously that, "…apple signed a one year with AT&T that ends on June 29,2008?"
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

2) He is minimizing the number of product returns that he has to deal with and providing at least a two-week window before stopping sales on the current version and introducing the new product (as has been pointed out by others many times before);

3) If you were possibly in the market for a smartphone/iPhone these past few weeks (or the next few), you'd have to be illiterate and living on Mars if you didn't know that there was a 3G iPhone coming. Apple is being very smart in recognizing that the cat was well out of the bag (see, e.g., the loudmouth from TIM), and that people's purchase decisions would be affected.

I didn't say i was selling my stock yet.Tomorrow would be a good day for a new iphone Steve
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Quote:

So, if the iPhone launched on June 15th, you would consider that late June?

Sounds like it's coming the 27th and that is late , if not the 29th. I know the 15th is the middle but even the 15th is a month with NO iphone sales. I can sell this phone without the hype and Steve can too . It will be a barn burner . I'm just droolin and hopein . that's all .
  • Reply 9 of 23
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    If you're referring to that AT&T memo, I took it as the iPhone was going to be released on the 15th and they would need their employees around at least through the 27th. If there was any chance that the iPhone was being released on the 27th, do you think they'd allow their employees to take vacation on the 28th?
  • Reply 10 of 23
    federmoosefedermoose Posts: 195member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I agree with all of the above. Clearing out stock before next generation is standard practice. There is one thing that I can't wrap my head around, though: Why would Apple, after (purposefully?) running out of stock on an item, still wait for a few weeks before actually confirming/announcing a next generation? It's a lot easier to push up the hype if there has been an announcement (Macworld 07 anyone?). I don't think anyone is suggesting that there will be an announcement before WWDC. This really does seem like an odd time to run out of stock, if only because there is no impending official announcement.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

If you're referring to that AT&T memo, I took it as the iPhone was going to be released on the 15th and they would need their employees around at least through the 27th. If there was any chance that the iPhone was being released on the 27th, do you think they'd allow their employees to take vacation on the 28th?

The vacation restrictions run from June 15th till July 11th
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Quote:

they had that bad of a typo? really (or am I just that gullible)? If you have a link/screenshot I'd love to see.

EDIT: I need some sleep; I missed the June vs July. Ignore me.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:

Oops, you're right. I got messed up with all the 27th talk. But basically the same thing. They seem to be hinting that they're not going to be caught short handed during the launch.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I'm wondering if Apple might start taking orders for the 3g iPhone online and at retail stores in next week?

Perhaps a big splash home page with little information other than it's 3G equipped.

And then a link to pre-order yours today.

These leaks by various phone providers, are surely planned and okayed by Jobs. He's savvy enough to let the cat out of the bag this time, and drum up the interest and free press. More than makes up for the few weeks of lost sales when the lineups will be even greater this time around (as long as prices are reasonable).
  • Reply 15 of 23
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by federmoose View Post

This really does seem like an odd time to run out of stock, if only because there is no impending official announcement.

Hmmm...... that is an interesting observation.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

These leaks by various phone providers, are surely planned and okayed by Jobs.

Maybe, but there's a history Apple's partners releasing information out of turn. Didn't AT&T make some statement about 3G iphone months ago? Granted, its possible that that was a planted leak, it just didn't seem like it. I'd really hate to be Jobs right now, keeping all these CEO's on a leash... gotta be stressful as all hell.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    Once a guy on a bus offered to share his huff bag with me.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    What about China, Hong Kong, Japan, Tawain and Korea?
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by federmoose View Post

I agree with all of the above. Clearing out stock before next generation is standard practice. There is one thing that I can't wrap my head around, though: Why would Apple, after (purposefully?) running out of stock on an item, still wait for a few weeks before actually confirming/announcing a next generation? It's a lot easier to push up the hype if there has been an announcement (Macworld 07 anyone?). I don't think anyone is suggesting that there will be an announcement before WWDC. Maybe WWDC will also be a release date? This really does seem like an odd time to run out of stock, if only because there is no impending official announcement.

Who would you rather be on June 1st? The product manager who didn't want to take a chance, overmanufactured to assure product availability and had to sit on with tons of unsold inventory, or the guy/girl who dared to be the future and has to endure some heat for a couple of weeks?

Look at the just some of the logistics that may be involved:
    • Testing, testing, testing

• FCC approval contingent upon receipt of product manual

• Finalizing product manual and submitting it to FCC

• Manufacturing, licensing, distribution

• Developing and finalizing product web/print/ad/promotion materials

• Necessary printing and packaging

• Updating all (US and international) web sites

• Software, software, software. Finalizing and approving

• And more testing, testing, testing

And if we all recall, consider the flack that is laid on Apple when they do miss an pre-announced launch date. Or the crap that is dumped on them for just about every product that they launch.

No matter how great the new iPhone is going to be, no other cell phone manufacturer is going to more scrutinized then Apple. In particular, the same bunch of malcontents that permeate this site will find or dream up something to negate the euphoria.

Apple spent nearly $200 million in developing the current iPhone. Obviously not as much now because the test facilities were created and built for the most part for the first iteration. However, I would suggest that the amount spent of the new 3g will more than any other cell phone has invested on their new products or maybe even for all their products.

Perhaps Apple has gone back to its previous strategy of keeping mum until the product is on the truck. Wouldn't blame them at all.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Quote:

Who would you rather be on June 1st? The product manager who didn't want to take a chance, overmanufactured to assure product availability and had to sit on with tons of unsold inventory, or the guy/girl who dared to be the future and has to endure some heat for a couple of weeks?

I'm not disagreeing with you. My point was I didn't think this was part of some grand Apple plan, but rather seemed to be somewhat of a goof.

And yah, I would rather they keep mum. When people know what's about to come out, announcements can only really disappoint.