AT&T now showing "iPhone Black" model in device listing

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2014
AT&T Wireless, Apple's exclusive iPhone provider in the United States, is now listing a second model of the iPhone in its device database called "iPhone Black," AppleInsider has been informed.

The finding, discovered by a reader on Sunday and confirmed by AppleInsider on Monday, is interesting if nothing else in that it may add a bit of support to ongoing rumors that Apple's second-generation 3G iPhone would sport a black plastic shell as opposed to an aluminum one.

The option to select an "iPhone Black" model is visible alongside the traditional "iPhone" for existing AT&T Wireless customers who are logged into their account on the carrier's website, and who choose to select or update their handset model.

Update: Gizmodo reports on comments from an AT&T official who claims the "iPhone Black" reference is a placeholder for a "scheduled catalog update" to distinguish existing iPhone models.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    So this must be AT&T's F-up of the week. They got it out early this week. Steve Jobs is going to throttle someone's throat down there.
  • Reply 2 of 42
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    I would get an all black iPhone.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    quake97quake97 Posts: 6member
    Actually, AT&T has something goofed up in their system. If you go look at all of the current phones they sell, they say Black after them. Check out the Blackjack II, Tilt, etc. all says Black.

Joe
  • Reply 4 of 42
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quake97 View Post

Actually, AT&T has something goofed up in their system. If you go look at all of the current phones they sell, they say Black after them. Check out the Blackjack II, Tilt, etc. all says Black.

Joe

Chalk this up as another premature ejaculation on the part of AI's editors. They really need to vet their stories before publishing nonsense like this.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Chalk this up as another premature ejaculation on the part of AI's editors. They really need to vet their stories before publishing nonsense like this.

Where does it say on the ATT website that all those products come in black? Also, do you know that they don't come in black?
  • Reply 6 of 42
    federmoosefedermoose Posts: 195member
    Quote:

Joe

Just checked the website. This is NOT a site-wide "error". A few phones have "black" at the end, but they seem to be legit. Looks like AT&T indeed screwed up.

The Tilt actually comes in black.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    bobertoqbobertoq Posts: 172member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amac4me View Post

Same here. WITHOUT the chrome trim, though. That'd be awesome if it was matte black all around without a chrome trim.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    milkmagemilkmage Posts: 152member
    Quote:

Joe

all? i'd wager only those that are currently available in black. check airlink, audiovox, firefly, hitech, HP, novatel, option, option wireless, palmone, panasonic, pantech, siemens, sierra wireless - NONE of those guys show black
  • Reply 9 of 42
    probablyprobably Posts: 139member
    "The finding, discovered by a reader on Sunday and confirmed by AppleInsider on Monday, is interesting if nothing else in that it may add a bit of support to ongoing rumors that Apple's second-generation 3G iPhone would sport a black plastic shell as opposed to an aluminum one."

If it says anything, it supports the rumors that there will be a black iPhone. Not a plastic one.

Alumina can be colored and people really should not forget about that whole zirconia casing patent filed during the iPhone's development.

Regressing downmarket to the usual materials and fab processes would be really strange in the spectrum of mobile Apple devices.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    Also, the "User Manual" links are the same as for the "normal" iphone.

And on a separate note, wouldn't there being an "iphone black" model suggest there will also be an "iphone (insert wet-dream here)" model? Let the speculation begin...
  • Reply 11 of 42
    3goldens3goldens Posts: 34member
    I went to the site and do not get these options.

Someone post a link or this is just some mock up someone did.
  • Reply 12 of 42
    seenettseenett Posts: 1member
    I have a Blackberry 8800. On the AT&T site it has always been called the "Blackberry 8800". Today, if I want to re-select my device, my only choice is now "Blackberry 8800 Black". More importantly, this phone has always come in only one color - blue.

My guess is that the AT&T webmasters are adjusting the fields for product descriptions and this is all smoke and no fire.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    milkmagemilkmage Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 3goldens View Post

I went to the site and do not get these options.

Someone post a link or this is just some mock up someone did.

initially I couldn't find it either but you have to login, go to account overview and click on the link that says "not my phone/device"
  • Reply 14 of 42
    lermallermal Posts: 9member
    Milkmage is correct, I just logged in to my account and clicked on "not my phone/device" and the "iPhone Black" choice was there.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by milkmage View Post

initially I couldn't find it either but you have to login, go to account overview and click on the link that says "not my phone/device"

seconded. you do have to log in (when you log in the "Explore" tab is replaced by "Manage"). I checked, the snapshot is legit.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobertoq View Post

Same here. WITHOUT the chrome trim, though. That'd be awesome if it was matte black all around without a chrome trim.

Which is why I think the iPod Touch looks better than the current iPhone. Brushed aluminum is classy, chrome screams bling and tacky.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    I'm more interested in the text that says the phone is available for equipment discount pricing with a 2 year contract. Does it say this for current iPhones or is this confirmation that AT&T will offer a discount when the new phone comes out?
  • Reply 18 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amac4me View Post

Yes, even the screen and the fonts, all black.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    So, Apple will charge people who want black more for just the color, like with the MacBook?
  • Reply 20 of 42
    coffeetimecoffeetime Posts: 116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EagerDragon View Post

Yes, even the screen and the fonts, all black.

Que to the Rolling Stones:

"I see an iPhone, and I want it painted black."