Microsoft releases Office 2008 SP1, says VBA to make return

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    hezekiahbhezekiahb Posts: 448member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SARO91201 View Post

I run the update and says searching for program then comes back saying it can't find the program.... wont let me search for program even though Office 2008 is installed in the default location.

Double check the installer, when I went to the page I accidently downloaded the 2004 installer at first & got this message, wasn't paying attention.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Yeah, I think this is mainly being announced because OpenOffice is about to launch on the Mac. Redmond is afraid MS Office will eventually be eclipsed as the leading cross-platform solution for Businesses.

If Sun had gotten a clue and ported the software earlier, OO might be the leading solution already.

There is still the issue of full featured Exchange support, and Entourage in its current form just doesn't cut it.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    rayconraycon Posts: 33member
    Quote:

"The response has been amazing -- since we launched in January, the velocity of sales for Office 2008 is nearly three times what we saw after the launch of Office 2004," said Craig Eisler, general manager of the Mac BU at Microsoft.

Mmm... you don't suppose the increase is due to the larger Mac user base, do you?
  • Reply 24 of 47
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    Gee, I wonder if higher sales of O'08 has anything to do with the fact there are a scud load more Macs out there???
  • Reply 25 of 47
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blufire View Post

Same experience here, and someone on MacUpdate is also getting this.

Same here. My Office 2008 install is completely hosed thanks to SP1. Thanks, MacBU!
  • Reply 26 of 47
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m01ety View Post

Same here. My Office 2008 install is completely hosed thanks to SP1. Thanks, MacBU!

Also same problem here.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    jzietmanjzietman Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m01ety View Post

Same here. I've had to uninstall using AppZapper and now I'm reinstalling 12.0.1...
  • Reply 28 of 47
    sirromsirrom Posts: 32member
    guidowenzl over on VersionTracker had this solution and it works!

try this:

delete ?/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Office 2008/Microsoft Office 2008 Settings.plist

delete /Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Office/OfficePID.plist

then start an app - put in serial number.

after that it starts the MS update again and then it should work - at least it did it for me !

Hope you all have luck too !
  • Reply 29 of 47
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I think one of two things happened. One, Microsoft intended to remove VBA from Windows in the next update to Office for Windows and as such it didn't make sense to include it in the Mac version for one release. There were sources in Microsoft claiming it would be killing VBA on WIndows, but Microsoft has since changed it's tune. Second, Apple caught Microsoft off guard by it's sudden switch to Intel. As such it would have taken much more time to incorporate VBA in this release being that Microsoft had to do a lot of work to make Office a Universal application using new developer tools.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I wonder whose idea it was to remove VBA in the fist place?!

• Reply 30 of 47
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

/me intends to slapping Kasper for the lack of a grammar check on this one.

GET A PROOF-READER! YOU'RE A PROFESSIONAL MAC SITE FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.

-Clive

Kasper does a fine job, and I've always known him to correct flubs quickly and then usually thank the person who pointed out the mistake.

Lighten up.
  • Reply 31 of 47
    bowserbowser Posts: 89member
    I only installed Office 04 last week because I had to do a short slideshow in PowerPoint. (Nice to have the reminder of how much better Keynote is...) I was surprised at how well all of it ran in Rosetta on my MacBook Pro (2.2, 4 GB). I saw a few hiccups when using it, and while it certainly wasn't "snappy", it wasn't so slow I couldn't use it and get work done with it.

Until last week I've been blissfully Microsoft free... iWork has been doing everything I need it to and haven't had any issues with it. I've even got the hang of Numbers now, and for the kinds of things I need a spreadsheet for, I have no reason to use Excel. In fact, I've found that Numbers work fantastically with Keynote for making really nice looking tables to use in slides. More control than with the built in tables in Keynote, and better appearance too. Now if OmniGroup would just make OmniGraffle Pro able to place objects in Keynote slides that can be edited with OmniGraffle...

I won't be buying another copy of Office for Mac ever again. By the time 2004 won't run on OS X there will be other better solutions available.
  • Reply 32 of 47
    pmoeserpmoeser Posts: 80member
    Re-introducing VBA to the Mac platform also gives [conspiracy theory] the "secret department" at MSFT[/conspiracy theory] a hook to get malicious code access to a more stable competitor?
  • Reply 33 of 47
    jzietmanjzietman Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SirROM View Post

try this:

delete ?/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Office 2008/Microsoft Office 2008 Settings.plist

after that it starts the MS update again and then it should work - at least it did it for me !

Unfortunately, that didn't work for me... I guess I'll go back to using Pages until I get this figured out. I actually really like Pages, so no problem.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bowser View Post

I won't be buying another copy of Office for Mac ever again. By the time 2004 won't run on OS X there will be other better solutions available.

I don't intend to either. But not because of that silly Apple iWork that doesn't do jack.

I am upset that Microsoft Office for the Mac won't do the Microsoft Office tasks that I need it to do for business. That's what makes me reluctant to purchase it again. Because I paid for something that doesn't really exist at all. Office for the Mac. Currently, NeoOffice has more features.

The one good thing about Word is the Equation Editor works pretty well. That's handy. The rest sucks.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    g.moneyg.money Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SirROM View Post

try this:

deleting the PID file and re-entering serial worked for me.

annoying though! you'd think MS would at least test to see if the thing installs before releasing an update!
  • Reply 36 of 47
    schwiebschwieb Posts: 5member
    A number of people have reported a problem after updating to Office 2008 SP1 where the Setup Assistant launches each time and refuses to let you continue to the main app. If you are running into this problem, please help me collect some information:

a) Did you ever install the Office 2008 beta?

b) What version of Office 2008 did you have installed (12.0 or 12.0.1)?

c) Please send me the following files:

/Users/<USERNAME>/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Office 2008/Microsoft Office 2008 settings.plist

/Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Office/OfficePID.plist

d) Please send me your product key from your DVD.

PLEASE NOTE that the above files and product key contain information that can be used to identify your user registration, so if you are uncomfortable sending it you can indeed choose to not do so. If you do send it, rest assured that I'll use it only to help verify that the problem is indeed what we think it is. I do not have access to user registration information and do not need it, so I won't go looking for it.

You can send these file and information directly to me at 'erik at schwieb dot com'.

Having done so, you can then reset your product key. To do so, quit all Office 2008 apps and move both of the files from item C above to the trash. Then, launch any one Office 2008 app and you should be prompted to enter the product key (which should be either on the DVD sleeve or on the back of the Install Guide). For additional assistance, visit the Help and How-To <http://www.microsoft.com/mac/help.mspx>; section of the Microsoft Web site.

Thanks,

Schwieb

MacBU Dev Lead

http://www.schwieb.com/blog
  • Reply 37 of 47
    tmactmac Posts: 1member
    Installed the update with no problems, but guess what...Microsoft has failed to correct the spaces and exposé issues. While the bugginess is slightly different, the windows don't want to behave properly and it is continuing to drive me crazy.

Has anyone else had these issues? Anyone with successful spaces integration?
  • Reply 38 of 47
    Time Machine to the rescue! SP1 install resulted in "the loop" for me, too. Deleting the files got me to the point of re-entering PW, etc, but would not progress beyond that screen. Now I'm back to 12.0.1.
  • Reply 39 of 47
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Can anyone confirm the speed up. Office 2008 has been ultra slow. I hope SP1 finally makes it feel more like a Native application
  • Reply 40 of 47
    jayman30jayman30 Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Can anyone confirm the speed up. Office 2008 has been ultra slow. I hope SP1 finally makes it feel more like a Native application

For me on my Core 2 Macbook, Word and Excel launch a couple of seconds faster and can handle some of my larger documents and spreadsheets with out bogging down near as bad. More usable, but no where near the performance of OFC 07 in Winblows on the same Mac w/bootcamp.