Microsoft releases Office 2008 SP1, says VBA to make return

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jayman30 View Post

For me on my Core 2 Macbook, Word and Excel launch a couple of seconds faster and can handle some of my larger documents and spreadsheets with out bogging down near as bad. More usable, but no where near the performance of OFC 07 in Winblows on the same Mac w/bootcamp.

Well then it is still too slow then. I hope SP2 will further improve on it.

Although by the time SP2 comes out Apple properly have next iWork ready.
  • Reply 42 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I wonder whose idea it was to remove VBA in the fist place?!

Link from a technical lead on the decisions to remove VBA from within MacBU

http://www.schwieb.com/blog/2006/08/...-visual-basic/

Link from same lead on decisions to bring back:

http://www.schwieb.com/blog/2008/05/...-visual-basic/
  • Reply 43 of 47
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    OK, I today decided to remove MS Office 2008 from my system.

First of all, the SP1 said I didn't have a version of office that needed it, then, a mate sends me a .doc and it appears all weird and misformatted in MS Word, when I opened it in Pages everything looked just fine. The drop was when I fired up Excel for the first time and couldn't find the formula bar anywhere... it wasn't displayed by default and it's the most important component of Excel after the sheet itself imo. Thank God I got this crapware for cheap via my school, I pitty the people who paid the full price for this...

iWork + NeoOffice work just fine for me. Looking forward to OOo3 too.
  • Reply 44 of 47
    ronnykronnyk Posts: 1member
    Well, I had to do the "delete file - reenter product key" to escape the endless Autoupdate loop. Having done this and then being able to again use my Office 2008 apps, I noticed that double-clicking on document icons, while running the associated Office app (e.g. double-clicking a Word doc icon runs Word), does not load the document. You either have to go through the Open pull-down menu or drag and drop the document icon into the new document window.

I see others are reporting the same problem over at http://www.macfixit.com/

Has MS acknowledged this problem? Anybody come up with a fix other than the obvious workarounds noted?
  • Reply 45 of 47
    mr_zebramr_zebra Posts: 85member
    Office was also rendered unusable on my MBP after the SP1 update.

If I was prone to paranoia, I might suggest they did that deliberately out of some sadistic pleasure for driving people mental.

Bastards.
  • Reply 46 of 47
    daylightdaylight Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr_zebra View Post

Office was also rendered unusable on my MBP after the SP1 update.

If I was prone to paranoia, I might suggest they did that deliberately out of some sadistic pleasure for driving people mental.

Bastards.

i own a MBP 2.5GHz 4MB ram last rev.

i downloaded the update from their website yesterday *not through auto-update*

and office works fine. haven't had any new problems with it.

i do however have this REAL annoying problem while using Word with spaces and Expose.

Please fix it already.. its really annoying having the window jumping around between spaces without me moving it. aswell as the issue when i have two doc windows open and i try to switch focus using expose sometimes it just won't send one of them to the background and bring he other forward as well as the two windows not spreading out they still overlap.
  • Reply 47 of 47
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    Macs have been on Intel for how long now? Two years...3? My point being that if one of the largest corporations in the world can't port over some software in that amount of time then what planet and century is this because I thought it was Earth and the 21st! If that's what they're saying then do they realise how ridiculous it sounds? We may never know their exact reasoning but it could've been an attempt to further cripple the Mac version (hello Messenger) or they just couldn't be bothered. Either way, their decision to reinstate it is nothing but a pure backflip and makes the compony look even more incompetent.

As for speed. I only used 10.0.1 briefly and a bit more since 10.1 I can't see a noticeable improvement between those two versions but it doesn't seem that bad. Initial startup times are comporable to say Firefox and relaunch times are fast enough.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

It was removed because the VBA runtime environment was coded at a very low-level (lots of PPC assembly code), so it was considered too hard/time consuming to port to Intel.