WWDC Sold Out with Over 5,000 Attendees

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference, scheduled for June 9-11, has sold out for the first time ever. Attendance at the event has rapidly grown as interest in the Mac platform has snowballed in proportion to rapid new sales of Macs.



Build It and They Will Come



This year however, WWDC is expanding to address the new iPhone mobile WiFi platform, an new expansion Apple illustrated in WWDC marketing with a photoshopped doubling of San Francisco's landmark Golden Gate Bridge.



At last year's event, which focused on the then yet unreleased Mac OS X Leopard, Apple unveiled a preliminary web-based development program for the iPhone, which resulted in some howls of protest from developers who wanted to tap into the full features of the device rather than just offer server side custom web applications.



Since then, Apple released the iPod touch and then promised a full Software Development Kit for both devices based on the same Cocoa development tools as Mac OS X. Interest in developing applications for the iPhone and iPod touch kicked into overdrive in February as Apple outlined plans to securely host developer's signed applications in the iTunes Store and offer direct wireless downloads from the devices via a new App Store icon.



The prospect of a piracy and malware resistant development program has seen enthusiastic interest from everyone from games developers including EA and Sega to custom corporate Intranet development and major software vendors from Microsoft to IBM to Salesforce.com. Adobe and Sun have also been feverishly working out how to port their Flash and Java ME platforms to the iPhone, apparently without much help from Apple.







Bulging at the Seams



WWDC has grown dramatically in recent years, prompting Apple to move the event from the original underground Moscone Center into the modern new Moscone West building. Last year, Apple set a new record for WWDC attendance with 5,000 developers from around the world.



Apple hasn't said how many have registered for this event this year, but had to cap further ticket sales due to space limitations. On its developer web site, under the notice that WWDC 2008 has sold out, Apple says, "You can still get all the great content from WWDC 2008. Session videos will be available to purchase on iTunes shortly after the conference. More details will be available soon."



«134

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 74
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Mac Power!!
  • Reply 2 of 74
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    this may not be landmark, but it's been FOUR YEARS since the cinema display design was released.



    i put googly eyes on mine so i can look it in the eyes.

    [the only way to know where you stand with someone is to look them in the eyes]

    i put googly eyes on all of my keys on my keyboard, too.
  • Reply 3 of 74
    i have a question.



    what is the differance between macworld and wwdc
  • Reply 4 of 74
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Heap strong medicine!
  • Reply 5 of 74
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdhockeyfan424 View Post


    i have a question.



    what is the differance between macworld and wwdc



    MacWorld= Consumer focus

    WWDC= Developer focus.



    MacWorld= Nerdy like

    WWDC= Full Tilt Nerdom



    MacWorld= Deep pockets

    WWDC= Pocket Protectors
  • Reply 6 of 74
    webfrassewebfrasse Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdhockeyfan424 View Post


    i have a question.



    what is the differance between macworld and wwdc





    Consumer / Developer



    /Mikael
  • Reply 7 of 74
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Tickets aren't cheap either. With 5000+ attendees it must be a nice little earner.
  • Reply 8 of 74
    The original event was in San Jose at the San Jose Convention center for many years. Not the big Moscone Center which has no problem handling conventions up to or beyond 100K people like MacWorld.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by

    WWDC has grown dramatically in recent years, prompting Apple to move the event from the original underground Moscone Center into the modern new Moscone West building. Last year, Apple set a new record for WWDC attendance with 5,000 developers from around the world.



    Apple hasn't said how many have registered for this event this year, but had to cap further ticket sales due to space limitations. On its developer web site, under the notice that WWDC 2008 has sold out, Apple says, "You can still get all the great content from WWDC 2008. Session videos will be available to purchase on iTunes shortly after the conference. More details will be available soon."



    [c



    [ View this article at AppleInsider.com ][/c]



  • Reply 9 of 74
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    ...is that they switched venues from the San Jose Convention Center to Moscone because Moscone was much larger and could accommodate more people. Now the Moscone Center is filling up...



    Go Apple Go!
  • Reply 10 of 74
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post


    ...is that they switched venues from the San Jose Convention Center to Moscone because Moscone was much larger and could accommodate more people. Now the Moscone Center is filling up...



    Go Apple Go!



    This should set the pulses of our famed analysts racing.
  • Reply 11 of 74
    calguycalguy Posts: 80member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    MacWorld= Consumer focus

    WWDC= Developer focus.



    MacWorld= Nerdy like

    WWDC= Full Tilt Nerdom



    MacWorld= Deep pockets

    WWDC= Pocket Protectors



    perfection
  • Reply 12 of 74
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I wonder how much of this growth is from Mac growth and how much is from the iPhone. I know previously non-Mac owners and Mac user who only code from Windows that are now moving to OS X because of the iPhone SDK.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    MacWorld= Consumer focus

    WWDC= Developer focus.



    MacWorld= Nerdy like

    WWDC= Full Tilt Nerdom



    MacWorld= Deep pockets

    WWDC= Pocket Protectors



  • Reply 13 of 74
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    <deleted>
  • Reply 14 of 74
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    why why why....developers see a new platform that will be huge and a method to feed them that is unique and fruitfull they want to be part of this and not miss out....it's huge
  • Reply 15 of 74
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    MacWorld= Consumer focus

    WWDC= Developer focus.



    MacWorld= Nerdy like

    WWDC= Full Tilt Nerdom



    MacWorld= Deep pockets

    WWDC= Pocket Protectors



    WWDC has far deeper pockets, especially the after hours parties by VIP only. You get to get smashed with the elites in the Industry and discussions of tens to hundreds of millions of dollar contracts are discussed.
  • Reply 16 of 74
    New Cinema displays would be nice. An option for an isight in the display would make a lot of sense.
  • Reply 17 of 74
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,542member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    MacWorld= Consumer focus

    WWDC= Developer focus.



    MacWorld= Nerdy like

    WWDC= Full Tilt Nerdom



    MacWorld= Deep pockets

    WWDC= Pocket Protectors



    Very good Murch!
  • Reply 18 of 74
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,542member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kubrick View Post


    New Cinema displays would be nice. An option for an isight in the display would make a lot of sense.



    I was expecting to see new displays at NAB in April, but Apple was a no show, and so were the displays. I believe the last time they came out with new ones, they showed first at NAB.
  • Reply 19 of 74
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    I hope they make a new display based on the MacBook Air design frame: ultra thin. Sony released a super thin TV in Japan (3mm) that is amazing to see (although it is a little short on real-estate).



    Something 1cm thick would be awesome.... more so if it has an iSight built in (but the aiming of the iSight might be a pain on large monitors - return of the separate iSight?).
  • Reply 20 of 74
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,542member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post


    I hope they make a new display based on the MacBook Air design frame: ultra thin. Sony released a super thin TV in Japan (3mm) that is amazing to see (although it is a little short on real-estate).



    Something 1cm thick would be awesome.... more so if it has an iSight built in (but the aiming of the iSight might be a pain on large monitors - return of the separate iSight?).



    I really don't care if a display is all that thin or not. What advantages does it have?



    Illumination evenness is more important.
Sign In or Register to comment.