What do you guys think about AI's imac roumors?

Comments

• Reply 81 of 156
    Who cares, AI is wrong most of the time anyways. MOSR has a better record than AI!
  • Reply 82 of 156
    errrr?

please don't lie.
  • Reply 83 of 156
    muahmuah Posts: 165member
    If they come out with a G3 1Ghz 14.1 etc. I think they are still competing with celeron value pc's. If they are trying to gain market share, price point should be $700 max for the entry machine.

I think looking cool and running osx isn't enough to get converts (95% of computer owners are the proof). Apple keeps panning to mac owners instead of possible converts.

Steve listen up! Sell a machine at the same price as a winblows pc, then and only then will you be able to win people over with the argument that "we are cooler than them." IMHO
  • Reply 84 of 156
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    From <a href="http://www.bite.org"; target="_blank">Bite.org</a>

[quote]

heh

Posted Saturday, December 1, 2001 by General Lee

Â*

AI pulled their article on flat panel iMacs. So the top news story is again "slimmer, titanium-like iBook due next week." From April.

erhaps we'll see another news story in another six months.

Dip us in sh*t and roll us in breadcrumbs! AI updated

Posted Thursday, November 29, 2001 by General Lee

Â*

That's right kids. If you've read AppleInsider between April 28th and yesterday, you've been quite bored.

No more! AI has updated. Flat panel iMac article. Maybe this was s'posed to be published back in April but they forgot about it and decided it wasn't too stale. <hr></blockquote>

[ 12-01-2001: Message edited by: Bodhi ]</p>
  • Reply 85 of 156
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by muah:

<strong>If they come out with a G3 1Ghz 14.1 etc. I think they are still competing with celeron value pc's. If they are trying to gain market share, price point should be $700 max for the entry machine.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Spped wise they'd definately compete. The problem is foor people who don't know much about computers is that if they see the old iMacs with a 15" display then the new ones with a 14.1 they won't understand the difference. I don't think Apple could afford losing a potential customer over something like that.
  • Reply 86 of 156
    MOSR hasn't made one interesting report (credibility aside) that you could not have found on forums such as these... Anyone who reads at least a rumor forum or two regularly could have written their past few reports (except the one written by their "register mole") If anything it's entertaining to read and speculate what apple will release and MOSR has failed to give me any decent entertainment... of course AI isn't any better but it's better to keep your mouth shut if you don't have anything good to say than to pull an MOSR and write crap. (sorry if i'm so critical)
  • Reply 87 of 156
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by macway:

<strong>errrr?

please don't lie.</strong><hr></blockquote>

errr... go back and look at past articles. AI is a bit of a joke when it comes to rumors other than the Workerbee leak and the rare leak the night before a show.
  • Reply 88 of 156
    bogiebogie Posts: 407member
    Jon - that was a very respectable post as far as why it was taken down. Just wanted to reinforce that.
  • Reply 89 of 156
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>15.1 inch LCD

733 Mhz G4

133 Mhz Bus

Geforce 2 MX or Radeon graphics (32MB)

56K modem

256 MB RAM

60 GB HD

Superdrive

$1299</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah right.

That same machine right now costs...$2500, and the drive has to be external. And yo ualso get it in a tower, not an imac, and the monitor is External.

Andrew
  • Reply 90 of 156
    [quote]Originally posted by amidala:

<strong>

Yeah right.

That same machine right now costs...$2500, and the drive has to be external. And yo ualso get it in a tower, not an imac, and the monitor is External.

Andrew</strong><hr></blockquote>

1.) that mac does not cost 2500 right now. Apple would likely charge that much but it doesn't cost that much.

15 inch LCD- 200-300 dollars

733 Mhz G4- 150-200 dollars I would imagine

256 MB RAM- 20 dollars

60 GB HD- 80 dollars

Motherboard with nVidia graphics- 75 dollars

Superdrive- 300-350 dollars

$at the lowend of the price range that would cost $825 high end estimate $1025

now my estimate means pretty much next to nothing but you get an idea that it is very possible for a 1299 and definitely possible for a 1499 machine
  • Reply 91 of 156
    tltl Posts: 33member
    [quote]1.) that mac does not cost 2500 right now. Apple would likely charge that much but it doesn't cost that much.<hr></blockquote>

Current G4 tower pricing:

[quote]Summary

• 733MHz PowerPC G4

• 256MB SDRAM - 1 DIMM

• 60GB Ultra ATA drive

• Apple Studio Display (15" flat panel)

• Combo (DVD/CD-RW)

• NVIDIA GeForce2 MX - 32MB SDRAM

• 56K internal modem

• Apple Pro Keyboard - U.S. English

• Mac OS - U.S. English

• Gigabit Ethernet

• Two USB ports

• Two FireWire ports

• Apple Pro Mouse

Subtotal $2,648.00<hr></blockquote>

And that is without the superdrive, which would be 250$ more if available, making the total a whopping 2898$

so even if you are correct and Apple can build it for about 100$ total, they would not sell it at that price because it would be too much of a price cut way to quickly. they like to milk things, so yesterday's 2900$ powermac will not be tomorrows 1300$ imac.

[ 12-02-2001: Message edited by: tl ]</p>
  • Reply 92 of 156
    Well, they did cut the 733 G4 from 3500 to 1500 in one swipe, but they also cut the amount of RAM and the drive and other stuff too.

Andrew
  • Reply 93 of 156
    [quote] And that is without the superdrive, which would be 250$ more if available, making the total a whopping 2898$

so even if you are correct and Apple can build it for about 100$ total, they would not sell it at that price because it would be too much of a price cut way to quickly. they like to milk things, so yesterday's 2900$ powermac will not be tomorrows 1300$ imac.<hr></blockquote>

Except for one little thing... those prices were set in July when the quicksilver was introduced. that and don't forget about the g5. g4's outta be cheap with its intro.
  • Reply 94 of 156
    [quote]Originally posted by discstickers:

<strong>

Except for one little thing... those prices were set in July when the quicksilver was introduced. that and don't forget about the g5. g4's outta be cheap with its intro. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, maybe the processor but why would everything else's price decrease so much?
  • Reply 95 of 156
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I think the whole point of Apollo is that it becomes a cheaper and more versatile chip by virtue of an improvement in the fab process. A smaller more modern fab means not only cooler, lower power chips, but also more chips per silicon wafer. Ideally the chips ought to both perform better and have better yields. It may be possible to source G4's to Macs in general at a cheaper cost than before because they'll be using a lot more of them.
  • Reply 96 of 156
    [quote]Originally posted by tl:

<strong>

And that is without the superdrive, which would be 250$ more if available, making the total a whopping 2898$

so even if you are correct and Apple can build it for about 100$ total, they would not sell it at that price because it would be too much of a price cut way to quickly. they like to milk things, so yesterday's 2900$ powermac will not be tomorrows 1300$ imac.

[ 12-02-2001: Message edited by: tl ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

you can't base anything on the PowerMac's price. it is inflated way too much has more high end things, etc..

look at my reasoning for the price and then tell me its not possible. do you agree with the price I listed. if so then what's your point?
  • Reply 97 of 156
    I agree with applenut. No reason they could not do it for 1299 or 1499.

Does anyone know what Apple's average profit margin is? Maybe this way we can work it out a little bit better.
  • Reply 98 of 156
    [quote] The problem is foor people who don't know much about computers is that if they see the old iMacs with a 15" display then the new ones with a 14.1 they won't understand the difference. <hr></blockquote>

Oh please....all a person has to do is look at a 15" LCD and they can see that it's bigger than the current iMac's viewable area.
  • Reply 99 of 156
    [quote]Originally posted by TigerWoods99:

<strong>Does anyone know what Apple's average profit margin is? Maybe this way we can work it out a little bit better.</strong><hr></blockquote>

From what applenut says, Apple's profit margin is 30%.
  • Reply 100 of 156
    [quote]it will be back. we had never been told that everything we do with the front page has to go through him... till we did something <hr></blockquote>

Actually, this is not true. I had explained before (not to you, but to Nick, and more than once) that the first several articles had to be cleared. The article will be back up this week; it's really not a very interesting story regarding the whole pulling thing.

As for Bite.org, my suggestion would be to ignore them. They're just a bunch of amateurs scrambling for traffic by keeping a log of people's mistakes.

And regarding the validity of the article, we always check them to the best of our ability, but as AI veterans know, the rumors are always wrong just as often as they're right.

Check back on the main page in a few days; it'll be back soon.