iPhone for Spain; PA Semi; Mac share; mobile phone sales fall

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple has reportedly reached an agreement to bring the iPhone to Spain through Telefonica Movistar. Meanwhile, it's also reported that Apple will support PA Semi's existing chips for the military; the Mac boasts a huge retail share of computers price over a grand; and mobile handset sales fell in the US last quarter.

iPhone for Spain

Speaking at the Professional Communications Congress at the University of Zaragoza this month, Telefonica Movistar's Francisco José Santos Esteras said his firm has reached an agreement with Apple to offer the iPhone in Spain later this year.

Movistar, which serves over 22 million customers in Spain and parts of Latin America, will have a temporary exclusive on sales of the next-generation Apple handset in country lasting between three and six months, Esteras said.

On PA Semi

Apple will reportedly maintain support for PA Semi's line of PowerPC-based processors following pressure from the chipmaker's government customers.

"PA Semi's staff has started notifying a limited set of customers that the company's existing dual-core processor will enjoy long-term support," the Register is reporting. "Apple will employ a number of old PA Semi staffers just for this task, which is good news for folks making missiles, mine-sweeping gear and storage boxes."

Prior to its $278 million acquisition by Apple last month, PA Semi's primary business was in the supply of microchips for customers such as the US Department of Defense. In particular, its PWRficient processor was said to have been employed at various levels across every branch of the US armed forces.

Given that Apple's motivation behind the purchase was to obtain the chipmaker's general expertise rather than its portfolio, it was speculated that the DoD would eventually step in to assure that the deal would not disrupt the flow of parts for its defense systems.

Apple's 66 percent premium retail share

Apple's overall share of the US PC retail market during the first three months of 2008 was about 14 percent, according to recent NPD data cited by Jupiter Research analyst Joe Wilcox. However, when filtering that data based on computers costing more than $1,000, Apple's share skyrockets to 66 percent.

"iMacs are growing and the Windows desktop ain't. No matter how you look at it, Apple is outperforming Windows," a representative for NPD told the analyst.

Mobile phone sales fall in Q1

Meanwhile, the latest Mobile Phone Track data released by NPD indicates that mobile phone handset sales to consumers in the U.S. reached nearly 31 million units in the first quarter of 2008, which is a 22 percent decline since the same period a year ago.

"For the first time since NPD has tracked handset sales, we've noted a decline in sales during the first quarter after the holidays," said Ross Rubin, director of industry analysis. Cellular phone service has become a practical necessity in modern life; however, with looming economic concerns on the horizon, many consumers may be holding back on new handset purchases, especially those tied to new pre-paid plans."

Among handset manufacturers, Motorola maintained its lead in the U.S. market during the first quarter; however, its share of unit-sales declined from 35 percent in Q1 2007 to 27 percent this year. In addition, RIM Blackberry improved its ranking, edging out Sanyo as the fifth largest mobile phone manufacturer with a 5 percent share based on the number of handsets sold in the U.S. in Q1 2008.

Apple does not yet rank in the top five US handset vendors.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    .mac.mac Posts: 44member
    good news iphone coming to spain !!! bad news i have a contract with vodafone
  • Reply 2 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"iMacs are growing and the Windows desktop ain't. No matter how you look at it, Apple is outperforming Windows," a representative for NPD told the analyst.

You know, this sounds great... but what does it mean, really? How many more quarters, years, decades or centuries does Apple need to outperform Windows to finally catch up with the gazillion Windows operated computers on earth?
  • Reply 3 of 62
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fpsanders View Post

You know, this sounds great... but what does it mean, really? How many more quarters, years, decades or centuries does Apple need to outperform Windows to finally catch up with the gazillion Windows operated computers on earth?

And why do they need to catch up to anybody, do you expect Apple to one day sell more computers than all those companies who sell Windows machines, it's damn near impossible and I think even Apple themselves know this. There is a reason companies like Apple exist so that we have a choice and can move when we get sick of what everybody else is using and the problems overwhelm us too much. I'm glad Apple is here to offer me a choice.
  • Reply 4 of 62
    Perhaps this is the subtle MacMini statistic people have been looking for...

If total Mac market share in the $1000 PC + market is so high yet the total market is still only at 14%, it shows that A) there is huge demand for sub-$1000 PCs and B) Apple's MacMini isn't meeting those demands. I realize it may mean tighter margins, but Apple should compete a little tougher with the Mac Mini to capture more of the market.

If they cared about the MacMini as much as the iPod Mini/Nano, it too would be the most popular unit in its class. Unfortunately, they leave it to suffer in technological abandoment. The current MacMini should be in a computer museum... not the shelves of - supposedly - the most technologically advanced technology company in the world.

-Clive
  • Reply 5 of 62
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fpsanders View Post

I don't understand why the focus is always on the OS and not the HW. Even if Apple took Dell's marketshare as the #1 US PC vendor it still wouldn't have a majority share of the OS market over Windows. We should be looking at the HW sales compared to other HW vendors.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

Perhaps this is the MacMini statistics people have been looking for...

If total Mac market share in the $1000 PC + market is so high yet the total market is still only at 14%, it shows that there is huge demand for sub-$1000 PCs. Perhaps Apple should compete a little tougher with the Mac Mini to capture more of the market.

If they cared about the MacMini as much as the iPod Mini/Nano, it too would be the most popular unit in its class. Unfortunately, they leave it to suffer in technological abandoment. The current MacMini should be in a computer museum... not the shelves of - supposedly - the most technologically advanced technology company in the world.

I'm not following, Clive. If Apple lead is more than 4x higher with $1000 plus machines that would mean that the Mac Mini isn't a great seller compared to other similarly priced machines or the rest of the Mac line.
  • Reply 6 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm not following, Clive. If Apple lead is more than 4x higher with $1000 plus machines that would mean that the Mac Mini isn't a great seller compared to other similarly priced machines or the rest of the Mac line.

Exactly... which is a kick-in-the butt. Apple should compete harder the Mini instead of allowing it to rot in technological obscurity.

Sorry, I didn't really make that clear. It's an argument to update the Mini.

-Clive
  • Reply 7 of 62
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    it's about growth and platform, the more new macs, and more market share pushes more developers to mac. e.g i would like for paperport scanning software to be mac, the growing market share of mac might convince them. software and hardware developers don't want to be left out but then what's the market share tipping point. a sold out expo says a lot.
  • Reply 8 of 62
    Quote:

Exactly... which is a kick-in-the butt. Apple should compete harder the Mini instead of allowing it to rot in technological obscurity.

-Clive

Oh yeah, it definitely needs an update. I'd also like to see the whole case updated. Make it bigger and thorough faster parts at a cheaper price. The price point is too high for the "el cheapos" and the power is too low for most people. Its demographic is just too small, IMO.
  • Reply 9 of 62
    Quote:

how many sub $1000 computers do Apple sell? how many sub $1000 computers does everyone else combined sell? that right there might skew the percentages..

just as its skewing the percentages in Apples favour as Apple sells MAINLY $1000 PLUS machines, versus most other PC makers NOT selling $1000 machines.

yeah I know thats not strictly true, but Apple is all about the higher priced HW.
  • Reply 10 of 62
    Things look pretty good to those of us who went through the mid 90s with our Macs. Apple has done a tremendous job in the last 10 years.
  • Reply 11 of 62
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    In the words of my hero, Slip Mahoney, "Leave us not forget..............."

Yeah, leave us not forget to be careful what we wish for. Along with being a major player in sales comes the attention of malware creators. Who needs all of the virus/trojan/horse,PITA stuff that plagues Windoze users? Not me!
  • Reply 12 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

how many sub $1000 computers do Apple sell? how many sub $1000 computers does everyone else combined sell? that right there might skew the percentages..

just as its skewing the percentages in Apples favour as Apple sells MAINLY $1000 PLUS machines, versus most other PC makers NOT selling $1000 machines.

yeah I know thats not strictly true, but Apple is all about the higher priced HW.

Your post points out exactly Apple's failure in market acquisition: the sub-$1000 market. You can argue day and night whether you think Apple cares about this market but I happen to know they do. Just as when they first launched the iPod, they ripped on the cheaper budget-friendly players arguing that you couldn't make a good player for under $400. Lo and behold, two years later, they released the iPod Mini, followed a year later by the $150 flash-based iPod Shuffle. Apple wanted desperately to capture the %75 of the market who thought a $299 iPod was just too damn expensive.

The numbers here show that roughly the same number of people think a $1000 computer is too damn expensive - even if it does have the best freaking software on the planet. The Mac Mini was Apple's failed attempt at an iPod Mini for the Macintosh. Unlike the iPod Mini/Nano, however, Apple has completely stopped trying to improve on the Mac Mini.

People want OS X, people want simple hardware configurations. People DON'T want crippled, laptop-grade components in an over-inflated, laptop-grade price. They just want a regular CPU and a regular HDD and a regular DVD burner and OS X at a reasonable price. Is that so much to ask?

-Clive
  • Reply 13 of 62
    Quote:

People want OS X, people want simple hardware configurations. People DON'T want crippled, laptop-grade components in an over-inflated, laptop-grade price. They just want a regular CPU and a regular HDD and a regular DVD burner and OS X at a reasonable price. Is that so much to ask?

Perhaps the difference between the PC and PMP market is the high subsidizes and low profit margin of the low-end PC market. As of the last Mac I set up there was not one trial app on the system (not even iWork) and the only crippled app (if you want to call it that) would be QuickTime.

I don't see how Apple could compete with a $400 notebook if it didn't offer these same grotesque marketing strategies.
  • Reply 14 of 62
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

-Clive

I got it, and it was a good observation.

The Mini must be selling at rates much LOWER than 14% for things to balance out.
  • Reply 15 of 62
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

All other "brands" sell machines over $1,000. Some sell many models, as do Dell and Hp. They are out there, apparently though, most people aren't buying them, and most of those that do, opt for an Apple machine instead.
  • Reply 16 of 62
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Are the parts for the Defense Department called iNuc?
  • Reply 17 of 62
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by city View Post

Are the parts for the Defense Department called iNuc?

You mean iNuke?
  • Reply 18 of 62
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

You mean iNuke?

Yes!

And lets boycott Apple for as long a they contribute to "defense". The Defense Department can buy their stuff from China.
  • Reply 19 of 62
    Quote:

... The price point is too high for the "el cheapos" and the power is too low for most people. Its demographic is just too small, IMO.

Do we really want to invite the "el cheapos" to the party?

Can the WAL-MART crowd and the Apple hipsters co-exist?

Do we need longer lines at the genius bars?

Do we need "el cheapos" complaining that they can't use their parallel port printer with their new Mac?
  • Reply 20 of 62
    Quote:

Perhaps the difference between the PC and PMP market is the high subsidizes and low profit margin of the low-end PC market. As of the last Mac I set up there was not one trial app on the system (not even iWork) and the only crippled app (if you want to call it that) would be QuickTime.

I don't see how Apple could compete with a $400 notebook if it didn't offer these same grotesque marketing strategies.

I'm not suggesting Apple stoop to such levels... but certainly a ~$700 laptop would be a reasonable offering. Use a last-gen CPU/chipset, slightly smaller HDD and Combo Drive. Basically, the current base MacMini's internals in a laptop's shell. It would basically be the $599 Mini plus $100 display.

As for a desktop, Apple's failure is using laptop components, which are significantly more expensive than standard desktop components. Instead of doing a typical "Look at what I can build for $600" argument, let me take each component and compare what I can get in laptop variety and desktop variety on Newegg.com. I'll take the specs of the base Mac Mini compared to standard retail components (some of which, i.e. RAM, are slightly more expensive to assure they match the hardware set I picked out.

Intel C2D 1.83GHz Merom CPU, $252.00 -- Intel C2 Quad 2.4GHz Kentsfield CPU, $219.00 -- SAVINGS: $33.00

~Jetway Mini ITX 667MHz FSB Mo-Board, $189.99 * -- ASUS 1066MHz FSB w/802.11g Mo-Board, $169.99 -- SAVINGS: $20.00

Integrated GPU, $0.00 -- MSI GeForce 7300LE 128MB GPU, $25.99 -- SAVINGS: -$25.99

Built-in Bluetooth, $0.00 -- Belkin Bluetooth Adapter, $23.99 -- SAVINGS: -$23.99

2 x 512MB Crucial 667MHz DDR2 SO-DIMM RAM, $27.98 -- 1GB Crucial 1066MHZ DDR2 SDRAM, $36.49 -- SAVINGS: -$8.51

Samsung 80GB 2.5" HDD, $81.99 -- Samsung 320GB 3.5" HDD, $69.99 -- SAVINGS: $12.00

Sony/NEC Combo Drive, $39.99 -- PHILLIPS (Dual-Layer) DVD-Burner, $23.99 -- SAVINGS: $23.99

TOTAL SAVINGS: $30.50

* - This Mo-Board is NOT custom-made, does NOT have 4 USB2 ports, and does NOT have any firewire ports, making it potentially cheaper than a MacMini motherboard. The ASUS board, on the other hand, has a firewire port, 6 USB2 ports, an optical port, a coax port, 2 eSATA ports, and 6 audio ports.

So the point show here is that Apple can replace the MacMini's components for cheaper, yet more-powerful alternatives, which would spank the current offering. I would gladly take the above setup for even $800 versus the out-of-date Mini's $600. I think many others would agree. Of course a computer like this would also spank the iMac, so Apple would be forced to offer a watered-down version. The point though is that desktop parts go way further than laptop parts. They're Apple's weakest link, and by using them, Apple is stifling their sub-$1000 market share.

-Clive