"We should have had the good stuff ready"

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    mokimoki Posts: 551member
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>I respect Moki's insight and opinion, but he is only a developer, and not a very big one. Powermac G5s could be ready to go and Moki could be kept out of the loop, to his dismay.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

::shrug:: that's fine, I'm perfectly willing to let history be the judge -- just as long as you remember "I told you so"

BTW, as an aside, I'm happy to announce that Snapz Pro X ships on all Pro Macs now (a full version, all new "Pro" Mac owners get a full license) -- even us little developers sometimes do cool stuff.
  • Reply 42 of 47
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>And I'll say it again, if there are no G5s by MWNY, then I'll suck my own dick! I'm working on flexibility now, doing daily stretches...after all there are plenty of naysayersm, so I've got to be prepared for the worst. .</strong><hr></blockquote>

hehe -- as someone who has been there, I say this to you: <a href="http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/webboard/Forum26/HTML/002777.html"; target="_blank">be careful of the promise you make!</a>
  • Reply 43 of 47
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    [quote]Originally posted by moki:

<strong>

BTW, as an aside, I'm happy to announce that Snapz Pro X ships on all Pro Macs now (a full version, all new "Pro" Mac owners get a full license) -- even us little developers sometimes do cool stuff. </strong><hr></blockquote>

As a proud owner, I can say it's fantastic software, shows what Quartz can do; worth more than charged, so getting it included is a great deal. Making the movies is great fun and they play back smooth as glass. But who's gonna buy these Pro models? They are definitely not a good deal now. I need a dual-800 if nothing else is gonna be there, but there's no announcement, no proce drop, no EOL on the price list, and the special promotion ends this month. What's up with that? I can't imagine sales being more than a trickle.
  • Reply 44 of 47
    The G5 will come out after the iMac has had it's fair share of the spot light...
  • Reply 45 of 47
    [quote]Originally posted by Nonsuch:

<strong>

Sure he is. Unfortunately, if the technology isn't ready he can shit enough bricks to build a castle for all the good it will do. Shouting isn't going to make months of work happen in a few weeks.

I have to side with the pessimists on this on: there's no reliable evidence to suggest the G5 is anywhere near release. There is only inferences, and inferences built on some pretty shaky assumptions to boot.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, but Steve has known about the problem for a long, long time, and I think that if Motorola told him that they couldn't guarantee something spectacular within a certain timeframe, he would try and explore other options (such as in-house development, fabbing a different plants, etc.). Either that, or Motorola did promise something, and are delivering in secret. I don't think it would be all that hard to do something with other companies without us knowing. After all, how many of us knew Apple was teaming up with Kodak so that you could use iPhoto to order prints online and have them shipped to your house?

The biggest thing to me is the fact that the G5 has been in development longer than the Apollo chips, coupled with Steve's comment about "closing the Mhz gap." And when you look at how much the new iMac encroaches upon the Pro towers in terms of processor power, it leads me to believe something big is planned for the towers in the near future.
  • Reply 46 of 47
    [quote]Originally posted by moki:

<strong>

hehe -- as someone who has been there, I say this to you: <a href="http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/webboard/Forum26/HTML/002777.html"; target="_blank">be careful of the promise you make!</a></strong><hr></blockquote>

Hahaha. Well...I'll say this: I promise to be pretty disappointed if Apple doesn't release a screaming system in a new case, since I really want an iMac, but don't really feel like giving up the screen real-estate of my 17" LCD Studio Display that's currently attached to my cube (which itself is unfortunately no longer the coolest computer Apple makes/has made... )
  • Reply 47 of 47
    [quote]Originally posted by ASexySexyMan:

<strong>Hahaha. Well...I'll say this: I promise to be pretty disappointed if Apple doesn't release a screaming system in a new case, </strong><hr></blockquote>

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they keep the current case around for a while. It is quite well designed, elegant, yet recognizable.