Why do you own Apple stock?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've noted that there seems to be a large percentage of people on this site who own Apple stock?



I have what what should be a simple question: Why?



I can only come up with two possible scenarios:

1) The stock is part of well-thought-out investment portfolio and you own a range of stock from various companies that just happens to include Apple. Or along the same lines it seemed like a good investment opportunity.

2) You purchased it based on some fanboy need to support Apple.



I'm sorry if that seems insulting, but I'm hoping that reason #1 is the primary (and maybe even only) reason that people own Apple stock. It's the only one that makes any logical sense.



So which is it?
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 23
    irelandireland Posts: 17,552member
    I don't. Quit asking me.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 30,865member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    I don't. Quit asking me.



  • Reply 3 of 23
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,422member
    i've owned macs since macplus (bought before public offering through my univ)

    i believe in the products

    more will also

    i had apple stock when it was 11. my investment firm sold it because it didn't fit into their "tech understanding) lost out on the huge growth and split,--i should have held it and said i'm keeping it for "nostalgic" reasons



    went to 117 and i bought a replacement "load" to get back at the level i had.

    i've done well, don't you think?



    like any stock, it has good fundamentals, and a growing brand.....seems to be a market leader in many areas

    has grown better than MS, well thats GOOOOOOOOOD



    oh yea......IT'S NOT MS, OR WINBLOWZ
  • Reply 4 of 23
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 30,865member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post


    I've noted that there seems to be a large percentage of people on this site who own Apple stock?



    I have what what should be a simple question: Why?



    I can only come up with two possible scenarios:

    1) The stock is part of well-thought-out investment portfolio and you own a range of stock from various companies that just happens to include Apple. Or along the same lines it seemed like a good investment opportunity.

    2) You purchased it based on some fanboy need to support Apple.



    I'm sorry if that seems insulting, but I'm hoping that reason #1 is the primary (and maybe even only) reason that people own Apple stock. It's the only one that makes any logical sense.



    So which is it?



    The real question is... why don't YOU own AAPL?



    Warren Buffet suggests that you should buy stock of companies whose products you use the most, or whose products you understand. For some this means Colgate-Palmolive Company if they use Colgate toothpaste. For others this means Boeing if they work in the aerospace business. As for myself, AAPL is a large part of my portfolio, although it started out very small years ago. I love the fact that Jobs came back to Apple and brought the company back from the doldrums it was in. But why did I originally buy it? I guess because I used the "product" and liked it.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,199member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post


    I've noted that there seems to be a large percentage of people on this site who own Apple stock?



    I have what what should be a simple question: Why?



    I can only come up with two possible scenarios:

    1) The stock is part of well-thought-out investment portfolio and you own a range of stock from various companies that just happens to include Apple. Or along the same lines it seemed like a good investment opportunity.

    2) You purchased it based on some fanboy need to support Apple.



    I'm sorry if that seems insulting, but I'm hoping that reason #1 is the primary (and maybe even only) reason that people own Apple stock. It's the only one that makes any logical sense.



    So which is it?



    I bought AAPL stock so I could lose money.

    I just cant spend it quick enough, so I deliberately bought into a company which has terrible future prospects.

    If I were steve jobs I'd shut Apple down and give the money back to the shareholders.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    ijasonyijasony Posts: 3member
    I bought Apple stock the day they announced the switch to Intel Processors back in June of 2005. I knew very little about Mac's at the time other than I couldn't stand Mac snobs. Now that I am pretty much a Mac evangelist, I understand the snobbery but I don't convey that attitude towards others. I think the stock was around $53/share back then. I would say that my 300%+ return on investment has been quite nice over a 3-year period.



    http://iJasonY.com
  • Reply 7 of 23
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,584member
    To make money.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    phlakephlake Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iJasonY View Post


    I bought Apple stock the day they announced the switch to Intel Processors back in June of 2005. I knew very little about Mac's at the time other than I couldn't stand Mac snobs. Now that I am pretty much a Mac evangelist, I understand the snobbery but I don't convey that attitude towards others. I think the stock was around $53/share back then. I would say that my 300%+ return on investment has been quite nice over a 3-year period.



    http://iJasonY.com



    As I recall, the stock closed at $80.86 the day Intel processors were announced.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,209moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iJasonY View Post


    I would say that my 300%+ return on investment has been quite nice over a 3-year period.



    This is what I don't get about the stock market. How much money do you really stand to make unless you invest seriously large amounts of money? If you invest £1000 and the stock goes up 300% then you make £2000 profit.



    Over a number of years, that's pretty low considering you could be guaranteed that amount by having a job that paid you just £1000 more a year.



    It's also even lower considering that stock values don't seem to change much on established companies. Apple's stock a while back went up to the 300 region but now it's back at 180 or so, which is where it was for ages.



    This means that you have £1000 tied up in stock that just does nothing for you.



    The only way to really make good money is by investing heavily in startup companies that you have an idea might become big but the risks are very high.



    Is anyone willing to say how much profit they have generated from investing in the stock market and weighing up the time, risk etc was it worth it to do it?
  • Reply 10 of 23
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Yes but if you bought in the single digits, the return is quite nice.



    *cough*



    C'mon AAPL, hit $250, I need a house down payment!
  • Reply 11 of 23
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


    This is what I don't get about the stock market. How much money do you really stand to make unless you invest seriously large amounts of money? If you invest £1000 and the stock goes up 300% then you make £2000 profit.



    Over a number of years, that's pretty low considering you could be guaranteed that amount by having a job that paid you just £1000 more a year.



    It's also even lower considering that stock values don't seem to change much on established companies. Apple's stock a while back went up to the 300 region but now it's back at 180 or so, which is where it was for ages.



    This means that you have £1000 tied up in stock that just does nothing for you.



    The only way to really make good money is by investing heavily in startup companies that you have an idea might become big but the risks are very high.



    Is anyone willing to say how much profit they have generated from investing in the stock market and weighing up the time, risk etc was it worth it to do it?



    Most normal people don't invest in the stock market to replace a job, unless, as you say, they're already rich like a Warren Buffet. Most people use it as a tool to build savings for retirement or for a house down payment or the like. If you compare it to savings accounts, the rate of return is much higher.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    The real question is... why don't YOU own AAPL?



    Warren Buffet suggests that you should buy stock of companies whose products you use the most, or whose products you understand. For some this means Colgate-Palmolive Company if they use Colgate toothpaste. For others this means Boeing if they work in the aerospace business. As for myself, AAPL is a large part of my portfolio, although it started out very small years ago. I love the fact that Jobs came back to Apple and brought the company back from the doldrums it was in. But why did I originally buy it? I guess because I used the "product" and liked it.



    That's what I was thinking.



    On the other hand, I personally take a totally hands-off approach to investing. It's all index funds for me.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post


    Yes but if you bought in the single digits, the return is quite nice.



    *cough*



    C'mon AAPL, hit $250, I need a house down payment!



    Heh heh. I bought at an adjusted share price of $7.10 in Jan 2001. Then I bought a Powerbook, you know, because I was a shareholder and had to support the guys. I remember than it shipped with OS 9, which just didn't suit the future-cool of the TiBook. OS X came out a month or two later.



    So ... come on Apple, hit $250, I need a house down payment in the Bay Area.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 30,865member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post


    Heh heh. I bought at an adjusted share price of $7.10 in Jan 2001. Then I bought a Powerbook, you know, because I was a shareholder and had to support the guys. I remember than it shipped with OS 9, which just didn't suit the future-cool of the TiBook. OS X came out a month or two later.



    So ... come on Apple, hit $250, I need a house down payment in the Bay Area.



    Now I'm curious... how many shares were you wise enough to buy at $7.10? Hopefully more than a thousand.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    Now I'm curious... how many shares were you wise enough to buy at $7.10? Hopefully more than a thousand.



    Let's just say that I didn't buy a car: I bought stock and a powerbook instead.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,199member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


    This is what I don't get about the stock market. How much money do you really stand to make unless you invest seriously large amounts of money? If you invest £1000 and the stock goes up 300% then you make £2000 profit.



    Over a number of years, that's pretty low considering you could be guaranteed that amount by having a job that paid you just £1000 more a year.



    It's also even lower considering that stock values don't seem to change much on established companies. Apple's stock a while back went up to the 300 region but now it's back at 180 or so, which is where it was for ages.



    This means that you have £1000 tied up in stock that just does nothing for you.



    The only way to really make good money is by investing heavily in startup companies that you have an idea might become big but the risks are very high.



    Is anyone willing to say how much profit they have generated from investing in the stock market and weighing up the time, risk etc was it worth it to do it?



    There are more than just a couple of people on here who have investments in apple into $millions. If they triple that in 3 years thats a GOOD wage



    Also, if I have $8000 invested. I only need to double my investment 7 times to be a millionaire. IF you were to have invested in aapl 7 years ago you would be not far from the goal.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    nowayout11nowayout11 Posts: 325member
    Does anyone think now is a good time to invest in APPL? I'm coming across a chunk of money soon and I'd like to invest. I wish I was able to act sooner (back in March) but as it is, should we wait or jump in?
  • Reply 18 of 23
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 30,865member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post


    Let's just say that I didn't buy a car: I bought stock and a powerbook instead.



    Smart man... smarter than me, anyway...
  • Reply 19 of 23
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 30,865member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nowayout11 View Post


    Does anyone think now is a good time to invest in APPL? I'm coming across a chunk of money soon and I'd like to invest. I wish I was able to act sooner (back in March) but as it is, should we wait or jump in?



    It's always a good time to invest...



    If the stock is currently undervalued then it's a good time to buy. Whether or not it's undervalued seems to be a matter of opinion most of the time, but I tend to buy on large dips caused by unusual market activity that affects the broader market, or on "bad" news that only affects Apple. They always seem to recover within a month or two, BUT this has been the rule since Steve Jobs came back to Apple. Once he retires, or if he is run over by Steve Ballmer, all bets are off.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nowayout11 View Post


    Does anyone think now is a good time to invest in APPL? I'm coming across a chunk of money soon and I'd like to invest. I wish I was able to act sooner (back in March) but as it is, should we wait or jump in?



    Only way I would put money in AAPL right at this second is if you plan on holding for at least 12 months. If you can't do that, you may not like the ride if you follow it everyday. I am in at an average of $137 on my second buy in and I plan on riding this out to $250 or until like it was mentioned above, Stevie B. shoots down Jobs plane by infecting it with a downgraded Vista to XP OS in the Nav unit.
Sign In or Register to comment.