Should I give up trying to get accurate color on my 20"iMac?

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 108
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

You are inordinately obtuse.

And you're a complete wanker. You said that you'd never buy a 24" 2.8Ghz iMac in the thread about someone not getting a 24" 2.8Ghz iMac. Yet you have done so and now try to obfuscate it.

Quote:

I did not buy any of the iMacs in the previous posting. Nor did I suffer all the problems that the purchasers of those models suffered.

Current models do not typically show as much backlight bleed as yours does. The QA has greatly improved and Apple will swap if you have a bad one.

Quote:

I have a studio full of computers and told you over and over again what I have bought and most importantly why.

The glossy screens are still unusable for color managed work, not just because they are glossy but because they suffer from excessive contrast, glare and inconsistent lighting. A fact which is patently obvious to all but the most persistent denialists. A fact that is so obvious you do not need to use color calibration to prove it, though several posters on other forums have.

The calibration would be for a SECONDARY monitor to see if the iMacs have a defect in the video card the precludes getting accurate colors with either an ACD or better monitor.

If you have a studio full of computers, an iMac and a calibration tool then instead of whining about a computer that you were dumb enough to buy you could have tested a second monitor for her and been able to tell her either:

A) You weren't able to calibrate a 2nd monitor on an iMac either

or

B) You were able to on the 24" and there may yet be hope for her (heh).

If I still had my EyeOne I might have tried on our work iMac with my 30" ACD. But I don't so I didn't. If you don't have a calibration tool then you sure as hell aren't much of a pro needing accurate colors.

Quote:

I do not have to buy and test unwanted equipment, just to prove you wrong.

No, but you COULD have done so to help someone out rather than bitch incessantly.

Quote:

It would seem you yourself wouldn't either but you remain ambivalent,

I'm not ambivalent about you.
  • Reply 102 of 108
    gastroboygastroboy Posts: 530member
    Dear Asshat,

Why don't you buy an iMac 20" to test for calibration problems to help out Hope. Make sure you get a "good" one!

Your suggestions get dumber and dumber.

And get it through your thick skull (wish I could run a densitometer on that, but it would be off scale!), I bought the model after the discussed iMacs and only when Apple cut its price by a huge wack and only for non-critical color work.

If I still could have got a white iMac 24" I would have got that. But Apple isn't making them anymore, which is what this is all about.

What's Apple paying you to be their Sgt Schultz?
  • Reply 103 of 108
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:

Dear Asshat,

Why don't you buy an iMac 20" to test for calibration problems to help out Hope. Make sure you get a "good" one!

Your suggestions get dumber and dumber.

And get it through your thick skull (wish I could run a densitometer on that, but it would be off scale!), I bought the model after the discussed iMacs and only when Apple cut its price by a huge wack and only for non-critical color work.

If I still could have got a white iMac 24" I would have got that. But Apple isn't making them anymore, which is what this is all about.

What's Apple paying you to be their Sgt Schultz?

There are now, and have been, 24" white iMacs available as refurbs at the Apple store online.
  • Reply 104 of 108
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

You still can't read can you? You claim to own all the pieces required: a recent model ALU 24" iMac, some other kind of monitor and that you are some kind of pro.

Unless you DON'T own a calibration tool but claim to be a pro with your own studio full of computers.

But hey, easier to whine than be helpful.

Oh and hey, the "new" model is just like the "old" model you derided for being designed poorly. The minor changes addressed none of your criticisms other than Apple improved its QC and there are fewer bad panels hitting the market now.
  • Reply 105 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

There are now, and have been, 24" white iMacs available as refurbs at the Apple store online.

Not here, they disappeared months ago.
  • Reply 106 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

You still can't read can you? You claim to own all the pieces required: a recent model ALU 24" iMac, some other kind of monitor and that you are some kind of pro.

Unless you DON'T own a calibration tool but claim to be a pro with your own studio full of computers.

But hey, easier to whine than be helpful.

Oh and hey, the "new" model is just like the "old" model you derided for being designed poorly. The minor changes addressed none of your criticisms other than Apple improved its QC and there are fewer bad panels hitting the market now.

vinegar, you just keep making it up as you go long.

Put your money where your mouth is. Buy a 20" iMac and all the necessaries to make it work. Then give Hope the low down on how you did it.

In fact just freight it all to her now. She deserves it.
  • Reply 107 of 108
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:

Not here, they disappeared months ago.

You're either inept, or a liar. I saw them this morning, and they've been for for quite some time. If you're too stupid to find them, you're a waste of everyone's time. Likewise if you're lying about it.
  • Reply 108 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

I have a brand new (last Friday) 24" iMac, it has no display gradient issue, and I know because I checked it out. I changed the desktop to a light gray, not that stupid Aurora desktop that they're set to. That will show a gradient in a heartbeat, if there is one.

The 24" is very fast for still photography, and I love the glossy screen. I have no reflection issues either. I open images about as fast as I click on them in Aperture 2 and PS CS 3.

If you have a Mac that you aren't satisfied with, then you should have returned it. I would.

So would I and I did... twice already. So now I am gonna give it a third shot. First one got gradient, second even worse gradient and 4 dead pixels... third one is on its way. Do any good iMacs ship from Prague I wonder?