Complexity of Apple retail stores revealed by permits

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

(ifoAppleStore) The closed-circuit TV permit was $20,700...

Puhlease, that is the biggest BS permit fee I have seen...
  • Reply 22 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by A Grain of Salt View Post

That's just bizarre. In most English speaking countries the Lavatory is the toilet. I just can't imagine washing my face in the lavatory. Each to their own though.

Dictionary definition has lavatory defined either way, in drawings and specifications Architects and contractors refer to the lavatory as the sink and the water closet as the toilet, or we just all it the toilet.

Also,

"Puhlease, that is the biggest BS permit fee I have seen..." referring to the 20k + for closed circuit is NOT the permit fee, it is the estimated cost of the CCTV system itself.

This is really a story that isn't telling much. It is not surprising at all the cost of any of this equipment. You should see what it costs just to put a 2 toilet bathroom facility in the park is. Construction cost of structure is about $15,000 the plumbing is $125,000 Especially if they have to run a long stretch of pipe for water and sewer. You should see those costs in any public works project. Apple is not spending more than any other retail outlet out there on this construction, the only thing they are spending more on is structural since they are doing more elaborate structural design.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by A Grain of Salt View Post

That's just bizarre. In most English speaking countries the Lavatory is the toilet. I just can't imagine washing my face in the lavatory. Each to their own though.

A public restroom is also called a lavatory. "Lava" means wash.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

The buildings in China were built by the government. Why do you think they are not allowing aid to the hardest hit areas? They do not want the outside world to see just how bad things are there. \

No... that's Myanmar.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

They do not want the outside world to see just how bad things are there. \

The opposite has been true. This is a great PR/propaganda opportunity for the Chiense government pre-Olympics.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    Wow, an Apple store is amazingly complex!

Like a 7-Eleven. Or a gas station.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paloozamalooza View Post

No... that's Myanmar.

The opposite has been true. This is a great PR/propaganda opportunity for the Chiense government pre-Olympics.

Can I have some of what you're smoking?
  • Reply 27 of 27
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

An all glass facade is just perfect in a 7.8 mag earthquake. Couldn't be in a safer spot then Apple Store Boyleston during that kinda quake!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Glass can be engineering to withstand large lateral movement such as the movement experienced during an earthquake.

True, here's an example from over in Japan, where they know a few things about building for earthquakes:

Quote:

The Kobe earthquake in 1995 put the Kansai international airport to test. It's epicenter was only 20km away from KIX. It killed 6,434 people in Honshu. But airport received almost no damage whatsoever. Even the glass in the windows remained intact. Later, the airport survived typhoon with a wind speeds up to 200km/h.

Here's a photo, it has quite a bit of glass in the terminal:

IRT Topic:

I don't understand the point of the article either, I'm sure the store is no more complex than a comparable tech store.