Confirmed Intel delay will push back MacBook overhauls

135

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 89
    kyungjinkyungjin Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webfrasse View Post


    All you're going to get is rumors. Apple never announces roadmaps for product updates but you can bet on that they will follow what Intel does. That has been true since the switch. Next announcement is on June 9th.



    /Mikael



    Thanks for the reply, but what I wanted was personal opinions on how such a setback would affect Apple's product releases. So basically... What do you think will happen next.



    While were on that topic though, what do you think this setback will do for other computer manufacturers.



    Sorry if I seem a bit rude with all these questions... I just wanted to know what you all thought about these mess of questions.
  • Reply 42 of 89
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by james948 View Post


    This sucks.



    However, I don't really believe they need to wait for a small speed bump.

    Just whack in an LCD screen, some more memory, a case re-design and release already.



    Yes exactly! I want to pick up a new macbook by end of june the latest. I don't want to wait around for going from 2.2 to 2.4, when everything else in the computer is already what I would want.
  • Reply 43 of 89
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post


    Why does everyone want a case redesign? The only thing I would want to do is an easier to get to hard disk, (granted, I've gotten good enough I can swap a drive out in 20 minutes.) I like their current case design. I've always liked this case design.



    Hop on the apple support forums and take a look at all the cracked plastic cases on the current macbooks and then ask why there needs to be a case design.
  • Reply 44 of 89
    mightyjdmightyjd Posts: 19member
    I bet we will an announcement @ WWDC with availablity in August.
  • Reply 45 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mightyjd View Post


    I bet we will an announcement @ WWDC with availablity in August.



    well, it didn't happen. now i dont know what to do. a few years ago, i bought an iBook g4 right before the introduction of the macbook. I dont want that to happen again. how plausible is this rumor? will it be a big revamp?



    god, this is annoying.
  • Reply 46 of 89
    mightyjdmightyjd Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhapsodyinpink69 View Post


    well, it didn't happen. now i dont know what to do. a few years ago, i bought an iBook g4 right before the introduction of the macbook. I dont want that to happen again. how plausible is this rumor? will it be a big revamp?



    god, this is annoying.





    Well your right about that! A lot of iPhone in that WWDC. Got me kinda bored. I still will not be surprised if we see a new MacBook in August to get that nice shiny iPod Touch for free with it. I am waiting! The iPod Touch promo ends in September so I am going to wait as long as I can to still that deal!
  • Reply 47 of 89
    Yeah, I really have no idea what to do now. I need a new laptop in august for medical school and I want to switch over from pc to mac, so I was trying to hold out because of the update rumors. Now besides still not knowing whether to get a regular macbook or macbook pro, I still don't know if I should wait or not
  • Reply 48 of 89
    sabonsabon Posts: 133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhapsodyinpink69 View Post


    well, it didn't happen. now i dont know what to do. a few years ago, i bought an iBook g4 right before the introduction of the macbook. I dont want that to happen again. how plausible is this rumor? will it be a big revamp?



    god, this is annoying.



    I've been waiting about 6 months for the Mac mini to be updated. I also don't want to buy one only to have it updated a week or a couple months later.
  • Reply 49 of 89
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Harrison486 View Post


    Yeah, I really have no idea what to do now. I need a new laptop in august for medical school and I want to switch over from pc to mac, so I was trying to hold out because of the update rumors. Now besides still not knowing whether to get a regular macbook or macbook pro, I still don't know if I should wait or not



    If you need a new laptop, then buy a new laptop.
  • Reply 50 of 89
    THIS IS BUSH! BUSH LEAGUE!





    I command AppleInsider for allowing people to spread rumors of the MacBook's release!





    You hear me? COMMAND YOU! Do your job, Admin!



    Hooguly Booguly!





    Do you guys think that the MB and MBP will be released before they end the free iPod touch giveaways for students?





    TELL ME NOW
  • Reply 51 of 89
    I'm not sure whether this is significant or not, but there's currently an interesting difference between the US and UK online Apple Stores in their Clearance Items section:



    US Store - Select "Clearance" (found at the bottom-left hand side of the page). In the Special Deals header, there's text that reads: "Discount prices on new items from Apple and other manufacturers."



    UK Store - Select "Refurbished Mac" (found at the bottom-right hand side of the page), then select "Clearance Items". In the Special Deals header, there's text that reads: "Great deals on previous generation, unopened MacBook & MacBook Pro. While stocks last." (At the time I looked there was nothing listed.)



    However the equivalent text on the UK "Special Deals" index page (accessed by clicking the 'Save' ticket on the UK Store home page) reads the same as the US store except with the addition of the word 'unopened' - make of that what you will!



    Of course a possible reason why there was so much iPhone talk in Steve Jobs' WWDC speech could relate to the fact that there was originally meant to be a laptop-related announcement but it had to be postponed.
  • Reply 52 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMachine View Post


    I'm not sure whether this is significant or not, but there's currently an interesting difference between the US and UK online Apple Stores in their Clearance Items section:



    US Store - Select "Clearance" (found at the bottom-left hand side of the page). In the Special Deals header, there's text that reads: "Discount prices on new items from Apple and other manufacturers."



    UK Store - Select "Refurbished Mac" (found at the bottom-right hand side of the page), then select "Clearance Items". In the Special Deals header, there's text that reads: "Great deals on previous generation, unopened MacBook & MacBook Pro. While stocks last." (At the time I looked there was nothing listed.)



    However the equivalent text on the UK "Special Deals" index page (accessed by clicking the 'Save' ticket on the UK Store home page) reads the same as the US store except with the addition of the word 'unopened' - make of that what you will!



    Of course a possible reason why there was so much iPhone talk in Steve Jobs' WWDC speech could relate to the fact that there was originally meant to be a laptop-related announcement but it had to be postponed.





    sweet
  • Reply 53 of 89
    joedrcjoedrc Posts: 86member
    To be honest, cases that are more scratch resistant would be enough for me, that and the macbook being aluminum and having black keys (like the MBA)
  • Reply 54 of 89
    im asking for one for my b-day, and thats on July 6th. im thinking that Ill just get the current one. the upgrade can't be THAT huge. the exterior redesign would be nice, but not necessary, and the chips would not be that much faster. not much more. and i have an iBook G4, so anything would seem fast to me.



    does that make sense?
  • Reply 55 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhapsodyinpink69 View Post


    im asking for one for my b-day, and thats on July 6th. im thinking that Ill just get the current one. the upgrade can't be THAT huge. the exterior redesign would be nice, but not necessary, and the chips would not be that much faster. not much more. and i have an iBook G4, so anything would seem fast to me.



    does that make sense?





    the future macbook pro is going to see kinda the same speed bump as any overhaul. The big thing here is going to be the battery life, I think. Wait it out, Man.



    I'm going through law school with this POS Vaio that's 4 years old with a 30min battery life for yet ANOTHER Semester just to have a sweet Mac in a couple months.



    My biggest problem now is whether I'll get the free ipod touch if I wait....anyone know if that's possible? Will the itouch not be offered with the NEW macbook when it's released in early August?



    It's being offered until Sept 15...so...yeah, right? It has to be. The itouch isn't just to get the old macs out of stock, it's to throw those itouches out there for the Application sales.



    Either way, I guess. The new Macs are going to be sweeeeeeeet.



    What about the future macbooks...if Mont. has a big of a battery bump as I hear, that's like 6-7 hour battery life!
  • Reply 56 of 89
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nikeddemus View Post


    if Mont. has a big of a battery bump as I hear, that's like 6-7 hour battery life!



    That's overly optimistic.
  • Reply 57 of 89
    ppoppppopp Posts: 6member
    I'm sitting, waiting patiently, for any news of the refreshed MB release date .



    I need a new MB for school this fall and my last possible date for ordering is around Aug. 1 (need to have the computer up and running by start on Aug. 12).



    If someone would start a rumor it would be much appreciated .
  • Reply 58 of 89
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ppopp View Post


    I'm sitting, waiting patiently, for any news of the refreshed MB release date .



    I need a new MB for school this fall and my last possible date for ordering is around Aug. 1 (need to have the computer up and running by start on Aug. 12).



    If someone would start a rumor it would be much appreciated .



    It took me no more than 3-4 hours to migrate from an older Mac, install new software, and calibrate the display. Why would you need that amount of time?
  • Reply 59 of 89
    As someone hotly anticipating a new MacBook Pro, I note that Appleinsider seldom gets it completely wrong when it suggests something new is on the horizon. This thread follows such a story which reported that the next upgrades to the MBP and MB ranges would be significant ones. If AI suggests that the next revisions will be more than just a speed bump, then I think it is worth waiting to see what comes.



    Obviously, the question is how long will the wait be? We know from Engadget and other sources that Dell, Sony, HP, Toshiba and Lenovo have all got new machines ready to roll for July's release of Intel's new Centrino 2 and that intel plans to put a bit of razzamatazz behind the launch. So it is fair to assume that Apple will probably want to release something around that time. It may not be July, but I would be surprised if nothing new had arrived by August / September.



    My advice to anyone in the market for a new MBP is to wait until whatever the next release is. If it is a speed bump, at least you'll have the latest and greatest version of the current MBP. If it its a brand new machine, then the extra wait will have been worth it. Of course, if you need a machine now... buy now. The danger is, your new machine will almost certainly be replaced by something September. If that doesn't matter, just go for it.



    If I were Apple, I'd use the college buying season to move all existing inventory before introducing any new machines. I'd also want to wait a bit after that to avoid annoying too many people with a new model immediately after they've bought an existing one. That suggests a late August / early September timeline for new machines.
  • Reply 60 of 89
    ppoppppopp Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post


    It took me no more than 3-4 hours to migrate from an older Mac, install new software, and calibrate the display. Why would you need that amount of time?



    Well, true, I don't need 11 days. Aug. 1 is approximate, but I need to order it through the education site and give it time to arrive, and then migrate my data from a work computer. If I thought I could place my order any time in early Aug. and receive the new computer before Aug. 11 I'd wait and do that.



    Hopefully by then there will either be an official announcement or a credible rumor so that I can either place an order for a new computer, or order a current MB with the peace of mind that the new models would have been too late in coming.



    I love my current Blackbook, but I'm returning to school full time, and the new computer will see much more abuse from being carried around than my current computer, and it's showing significant case wear after a year and a half. I'm also guessing that when I'm in school I'll be running off the battery more often and I'm hoping the new models will have LED backlighting to improve battery performance.
Sign In or Register to comment.