Confirmed Intel delay will push back MacBook overhauls

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Intel Corp. has confirmed that it will delay volume shipments of its upcoming "Montevina" Centrino 2 mobile platform by as much as two months, which will push a release of Apple's redesigned MacBook notebooks to late summer at the earliest.



The world's largest chipmaker said it now anticipates launching some of its new chipsets and Core 2 Extreme processors in July, rather than early June. However, volume shipments will not commence until sometime in early August.



At issue were two problems, according to Intel spokesman Bill Kircos. The first was a minor problem with the new integrated graphic chipset, which has since been corrected. The other was a clerical error on Intel's part when filing certification paperwork for the chipset's wi-fi component, which has delayed FCC approval.



"Both of these led us to establishing a launch date for our mobile processors and discrete chipsets of the week of July 14th, and taking a couple of weeks to get the right readiness and volume for the rest of our components," Kircos said. "We're looking at early August for that."



As a result, Apple and other mainstream notebook makers are unlikely to begin volume shipments of Centrino 2-based notebook designs until the tail end of the back-to-school buying season.



For its part, Apple has planed to introduce the first major redesigns of its MacBook and MacBook Pro notebook lines this summer alongside models that will sport Core 2 Duo processors from the Centrino 2 platform.



As AppleInsider reported earlier this year, those notebook families will see their industrial designs update to more closely resemble Apple's iMac and MacBook Air, both of which recently adopted aluminum enclosures with matte black highlights.



Both notebook families will use second-gen mobile Penryn chips debuting as part of the Centrino 2 platform, which will boast a 1066MHz front-side bus and clock between 2.26GHz and 2.8GHz, according to Intel documents.
«1345

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 88
    This sucks.



    However, I don't really believe they need to wait for a small speed bump.

    Just whack in an LCD screen, some more memory, a case re-design and release already.
  • Reply 2 of 88
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Intel Corp. has confirmed that it will delay volume shipments of its upcoming "Montevina" Centrino 2 mobile platform by as much as two months,



    I hope this won't be the start of an "IBMish" thing...



    G5 laptop anyone???
  • Reply 3 of 88
    webfrassewebfrasse Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by james948 View Post


    This sucks.



    However, I don't really believe they need to wait for a small speed bump.

    Just whack in an LCD screen, some more memory, a case re-design and release already.



    Yes! Because the world depends on it!!! We really can't wait anymore...they will be so pleased in Darfur, Middle East etc. Fuel prices will drop back and everyone will be happy:-)



    Seriously...get a reality check.



    /Mikael
  • Reply 4 of 88
    james948james948 Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webfrasse View Post


    Yes! Because the world depends on it!!! We really can't wait anymore...they will be so pleased in Darfur, Middle East etc. Fuel prices will drop back and everyone will be happy:-)



    Seriously...get a reality check.



    /Mikael





    You, Mikael, are a GENIUS.



    A FLAWLESS argument. In particular I love your 'Darfur, Middle East etc.'

    Not only is your argument seamless but also topical.



    You're a gem., Mikael.
  • Reply 5 of 88
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webfrasse View Post


    Yes! Because the world depends on it!!! We really can't wait anymore...they will be so pleased in Darfur, Middle East etc. Fuel prices will drop back and everyone will be happy:-)



    Seriously...get a reality check.



    /Mikael



    'Rrrriiiinnngggg'. It's for you. REALITY CHECK CALLING...



    Isn't today's "Darfur", the 90's "Somalia and the 80's "Ethiopia"? Plights like Darfur, just moves around from country to country, continent to continent and people say we must save "insert name here". Anyone checked up on Somalia or Ethiopia lately? How are they doing??



    Middle East has been the Middle East since the turmoil of the Crusades! If the Middle East isn't fighting outsiders, they are fighting each other. Palestine case in point.



    Fuel prices... 'tree huggers' wanted higher prices so there would be less driving, less driving - less pollution, less pollution - less greenhouse gas, less green house gas -a happier Al Gore. Like the oil executive who gave democrat Maxine Waters, who herself professes to be a liberal socialist from the 35th Congressional District of California (that explains it), if the tree huggin' politicians don't act to enact laws to allow more domestic supplies of oil, Americans will long for the $5.00/gal. of gas.



    I'm always happy. Being grumpy gets you nowhere. Now that's reality!
  • Reply 6 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by james948 View Post


    You, Mikael, are a GENIUS.



    A FLAWLESS argument. In particular I love your 'Darfur, Middle East etc.'

    Not only is your argument seamless but also topical.



    You're a gem., Mikael.



    i'm with james, here. first of all, apple probably has most components ready for the supposed next-gen appearence, so it shouldn't be that hard for them to give it a small speed bump with the current generation of chips and make that redesign available for students buying for college over this summer. and second, just shut up, "mikael"; i think you're the one who needs a "reality check". maybe if we had fewer people like you in the world, we wouldn't have problems like "darfur, middle east etc."…
  • Reply 7 of 88
    john frenchjohn french Posts: 199member
    Nuts. It's typical, I know, but...I was really looking forward to an update in June...\
  • Reply 8 of 88
    webfrassewebfrasse Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by milimetersquared View Post


    i'm with james, here. first of all, apple probably has most components ready for the supposed next-gen appearence, so it shouldn't be that hard for them to give it a small speed bump with the current generation of chips and make that redesign available for students buying for college over this summer. and second, just shut up, "mikael"; i think you're the one who needs a "reality check". maybe if we had fewer people like you in the world, we wouldn't have problems like "darfur, middle east etc."?



    Seriously guy...8 weeks. That's what you're hung up on to get a 10-20% speedbumb.



    I'm a happy guy but this "5 year old tantrum...I want my candy now!" cracks me up. Look in the rear view mirror...what is 8 weeks. Was there anythig you couldn't with the existing HW/gadget toolbox.



    Get a perspective.



    /Mikael
  • Reply 9 of 88
    webfrassewebfrasse Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post


    'Rrrriiiinnngggg'. It's for you. REALITY CHECK CALLING...



    Isn't today's "Darfur", the 90's "Somalia and the 80's "Ethiopia"? Plights like Darfur, just moves around from country to country, continent to continent and people say we must save "insert name here". Anyone checked up on Somalia or Ethiopia lately? How are they doing??



    Middle East has been the Middle East since the turmoil of the Crusades! If the Middle East isn't fighting outsiders, they are fighting each other. Palestine case in point.



    Fuel prices... 'tree huggers' wanted higher prices so there would be less driving, less driving - less pollution, less pollution - less greenhouse gas, less green house gas -a happier Al Gore. Like the oil executive who gave democrat Maxine Waters, who herself professes to be a liberal socialist from the 35th Congressional District of California (that explains it), if the tree huggin' politicians don't act to enact laws to allow more domestic supplies of oil, Americans will long for the $5.00/gal. of gas.



    I'm always happy. Being grumpy gets you nowhere. Now that's reality!



    You really didn't get did you;-) Swooosh! What was that?



    /Mikael
  • Reply 10 of 88
    james948james948 Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webfrasse View Post


    You really didn't get did you;-) Swooosh! What was that?



    /Mikael





    Once again Mikael displays his brilliant mind. Mikael, you are precious and rare. Keep posting.
  • Reply 11 of 88
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webfrasse View Post


    Yes! Because the world depends on it!!! We really can't wait anymore...they will be so pleased in Darfur, Middle East etc. Fuel prices will drop back and everyone will be happy:-)



    Seriously...get a reality check.



    /Mikael



    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow%...archy_of_needs
  • Reply 12 of 88
    james948james948 Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webfrasse View Post




    Get a perspective.



    /Mikael



    Mikael, did you mean get some perspective?



    Probably not. Congratulations, again. Keep these beauties coming.
  • Reply 13 of 88
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webfrasse View Post


    Seriously guy...8 weeks. That's what you're hung up on to get a 10-20% speedbumb.



    I'm a happy guy but this "5 year old tantrum...I want my candy now!" cracks me up. Look in the rear view mirror...what is 8 weeks. Was there anythig you couldn't with the existing HW/gadget toolbox.



    Get a perspective.



    /Mikael



    Perhaps you've just joined recently, but this is a geek forum.
  • Reply 14 of 88
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post


    'Rrrriiiinnngggg'. It's for you. REALITY CHECK CALLING...



    Isn't today's "Darfur", the 90's "Somalia and the 80's "Ethiopia"? Plights like Darfur, just moves around from country to country, continent to continent and people say we must save "insert name here". Anyone checked up on Somalia or Ethiopia lately? How are they doing??



    Middle East has been the Middle East since the turmoil of the Crusades! If the Middle East isn't fighting outsiders, they are fighting each other. Palestine case in point.



    Fuel prices... 'tree huggers' wanted higher prices so there would be less driving, less driving - less pollution, less pollution - less greenhouse gas, less green house gas -a happier Al Gore. Like the oil executive who gave democrat Maxine Waters, who herself professes to be a liberal socialist from the 35th Congressional District of California (that explains it), if the tree huggin' politicians don't act to enact laws to allow more domestic supplies of oil, Americans will long for the $5.00/gal. of gas.



    I'm always happy. Being grumpy gets you nowhere. Now that's reality!



    What doesn't get reported in the Britney media is the big powers involved and wars that result in mass migrations and consequently, starvation.

    http://www.commondreams.org/views05/0819-26.htm
  • Reply 15 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webfrasse View Post


    Yes! Because the world depends on it!!! We really can't wait anymore...they will be so pleased in Darfur, Middle East etc. Fuel prices will drop back and everyone will be happy:-)



    Seriously...get a reality check.



    /Mikael







    Well put. I'm still disappointed, but thanks for putting it all in perspective.
  • Reply 16 of 88
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Seeing as how Apple doesn't use either the graphics *or* wireless chips from Intel in the MBP, maybe they can get Intel to send a shipment of the rest of Montevina their way in time for a late June release?



    One can dream...
  • Reply 17 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zigzaglens View Post






    Well put. I'm still disappointed, but thanks for putting it all in perspective.



    all this started with james just saying "this sucks" to the multi-month delay, and, i feel, he's perfectly right to say that. this isn't a forum about world occurences, it's about macs, and in the world of macs, a delay like this certainly does suck, especially for those of us who were counting on those new macbooks coming in june-early july
  • Reply 18 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CubeDude View Post


    Seeing as how Apple doesn't use either the graphics *or* wireless chips from Intel in the MBP, maybe they can get Intel to send a shipment of the rest of Montevina their way in time for a late June release?



    One can dream...



    apple should drop the Intel on board video in all there system like they had on there g4 and g5 systems or move to better ATI or nvidia on video chip sets.
  • Reply 19 of 88
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post


    What doesn't get reported in the Britney media is the big powers involved and wars that result in mass migrations and consequently, starvation.

    http://www.commondreams.org/views05/0819-26.htm



    A quote from the link you provided...



    "This is a resource war, fought by surrogates, involving great powers whose economies are predicated on growth, contending for a finite pool of resources. It is a war straight out of the pages of Michael Klare's book, Blood and Oil; and it would be a glaring example of the consequences of our addiction to oil, if it were not also an invisible war."



    What's sad, is that it is only a "resource war" because governments such as ours does not allow companies whose job it is to find oil, allow them to do just that, 'Find Oil' and since they can't, we have to "contend with a finite pool of resources". It's not that we are addicted to oil, but that we are a oil driven economy whether we like or not, but if it is as 'poisonous' as some people say, BAN it! Ban oil and get rid of all the cars and associated jobs with them and go back to the horse and buggy. Also, what other products are derived from petroleum that we may need to learn to do without?



    "The chemical structure of petroleum is composed of hydrocarbon chains of different lengths. Because of this, petroleum may be taken to oil refineries and the hydrocarbon chemicals separated by distillation and treated by other chemical processes, to be used for a variety of purposes. See Petroleum products.



    Fuels

    Ethane and other short-chain alkanes which are used as fuel

    Diesel fuel (petrodiesel)

    Fuel oils

    Gasoline

    Jet fuel

    Kerosene

    Liquid petroleum gas (LPG)

    Natural gas



    Other derivatives

    Certain types of resultant hydrocarbons may be mixed with other non-hydrocarbons, to create other end products:

    Alkenes (olefins) which can be manufactured into plastics or other compounds

    Lubricants (produces light machine oils, motor oils, and greases, adding viscosity stabilizers as required).

    Wax, used in the packaging of frozen foods, among others.

    Sulfur or Sulfuric acid. These are a useful industrial materials. Sulfuric acid is usually prepared as the acid precursor oleum, a byproduct of sulfur removal from fuels.

    Bulk tar.

    Asphalt

    Petroleum coke, used in speciality carbon products or as solid fuel.

    Paraffin wax

    Aromatic petrochemicals to be used as precursors in other chemical production."



    So let get rid of all the plastics, that through chemistry, petroleum helps us to create. What will the hospitals use again? It's a good thing Apple is getting away from plastics and going to Aluminum and Glass, although they still need to work on mac mini, apple tv, mice, keyboard, Airport, Time Capsule, etc. Asphalt, lets get rid of those asphalt roads and parking lots. We won't need them since we won't have cars.



    If you want to get rid of oil - fine! What do you intend to use to replace its many uses for fuel and other derivatives?
  • Reply 20 of 88
    I guess I'll be grabbing my new MB now, then. I can't wait until August for a new laptop; Windows is killing me.
Sign In or Register to comment.