Apple spotted filming commercial at Fifth Avenue store

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Confirming suspicions raised by Apple's own website, observers have witnessed the company filming a commercial inside its Fifth Avenue retail store, with clues surfacing as to just what products may be involved.

Those live blogging the proceedings at The iLife describe film crews outside the location setting up lights around the Manhattan outlet's signature glass cube for a video shoot, one which has led Apple to notify customers through its website that it would close the store between 3PM on Thursday and 9AM on Friday.

The store's human resources manager is on-site and "clearly happy" about the event, according to a report.

While views of the inside are limited, glimpses reveal carefully crafted changes to the normal appearance of the underground store. Demonstration computers have been changed to hide the menu bar and dock from view.

More importantly, people within the store appear to be gathering around one set of tables -- the iPhone tables. These are surrounded by cardboard which is said to be "eerie" and "very Apple."

Adding to the unusual nature are black cases labeled "Anonymous 5+4."

While it's still uncertain as to just what Apple intends with the filming, the production may be part of a more concerted Apple promotional campaign. Murmurs from the underground sent to AppleInsider suggest that famed director and regular Final Cut Studio user David Fincher has been involved in shooting a commercial for Apple in Los Angeles.

Photos from The iLife's coverage follow.

The set outside Apple Store Fifth Ave. | Image credits: The iLife.

Studio lights outside the cube. | Image credits: The iLife.

iMacs inside the store during filming. | Image credits: The iLife.

Film crews around tables; note the backing cardboard. | Image credits: The iLife.

A blurry photo of crates marked "Anonymous 5+4" entering the store. | Image credits: The iLife.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    An Apple commercial, no way shock horror!! \
  • Reply 2 of 38
    bubba451bubba451 Posts: 19member
    Now I know why they made the iPhone camera so crappy: the better to foil would-be spies!
  • Reply 3 of 38
    -df-df Posts: 136member
    Mr. Blurrycam is back!!!!
  • Reply 4 of 38
    ferazelferazel Posts: 18member
    Ahh these are the Apple rumors of ages olde!

Blurry pictures, mysterious boxes, top it off with secret directors!

Seriously, was there a reason you had to be all blurry other than to be obvious that you were taking a picture of something completely not image worthy?

Anyways, I can't wait for June 9th.... I've been itching for a good keynote lately.
  • Reply 5 of 38
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -dF View Post

Mr. Blurrycam is back!!!!

Good thing there is an elevator in the store then.

/Adrian
  • Reply 6 of 38
    the original iPhone was 4 revolutionary devices in one right? Is there a possibility that they are adding 5 more? I can't wait for the new iPhone. 9 revolutionary devices in one WOW!
  • Reply 7 of 38
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jakeawhite View Post

the original iPhone was 4 revolutionary devices in one right? Is there a possibility that they are adding 5 more? I can't wait for the new iPhone. 9 revolutionary devices in one WOW!

It peels, it chops, it blends, it slices, it dices... it even talks to mices!
  • Reply 8 of 38
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    This is all so much fun!

When I used to shoot Tv commercials, and other stuff, we always had people gawking at us from behind the ropes that were put up. We never bothered to hide product though. No one was so concerned in those days.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    retroneoretroneo Posts: 240member
    Quote:

the original iPhone was 4 revolutionary devices in one right? Is there a possibility that they are adding 5 more?

i really doubt that 5 + 4 refers to anything like that.... but i could hope that these are the five:

high quality camera - if samsung has on sale 5 megapixel autofocus 7.2Mbit HSDPA phones with flash and full touch screen that are thinner than the iphone, apple should be able to. (F480 and F490)

gps - gps now has minimal cost and battery life impact and ties into core location in the SDK perfectly

video conferencing - every 3G phone has had a second camera with video calling since 2003. Apple submitted h.264 extensions to the standard in 2004 with AT&T.

itunes over 3G - itunes videos and music downloadable over hsdpa

app store - hundreds of applications in your pocket
  • Reply 10 of 38
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    Quote:

No, it was/is 3.

"A Widescreen iPod with Touch Controls

A Revolutionary Mobile Phone

A Breakthrough Internet Communications device.

An iPod

a Phone

an Internet Communicator

An iPod

a Phone

an Internet Communicator

Are you getting it?

These are not 3 separate devices."

(yes, I've watched the keynote more than once).
  • Reply 11 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sport73 View Post

No, it was/is 3.

An iPod

a Phone

an Internet Communicator

An iPod

a Phone

an Internet Communicator

Are you getting it?

A Camera
  • Reply 12 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SARO91201 View Post

A Camera

I don't think "a camera" quite qualifies as a legendary device. Its internet functionality, use as a phone, and that it contains an iPod were arguably "revolutionary, breakthrough," etc. features. A camera in a phone isn't exactly a dramatic development.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    jasejase Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Animal Farm View Post

I don't think "a camera" quite qualifies as a legendary device. Its internet functionality, use as a phone, and that it contains an iPod were arguably "revolutionary, breakthrough," etc. features. A camera in a phone isn't exactly a dramatic development.

Ah yes, but an Ipod with a camera.....
  • Reply 14 of 38
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

No, it was/is 3.

An iPod

a Phone

an Internet Communicator

An iPod

a Phone

an Internet Communicator

Are you getting it?

It's three breath mints in one!
  • Reply 15 of 38
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    We had a modernistic (lots of glass) computer store, less than a mile from Apple HQ.

In Nov 1983 Apple used the store to film a Mac intro commercial. We closed the Store. Apple papered over all the windows & doors to block any outside viewers,

The shoot was supposed to take 2-3 hours. It took over 9 hours. None of our employees left & our whole crew got to play with the 2 Macs for a few minutes after the shoot.

In the ad, the 1st Mac was "sold" over our front counter...

Fun times!
  • Reply 16 of 38
    delfoniqdelfoniq Posts: 95member
    Quote:

An iPod

a Phone

an Internet Communicator

Are you getting it?

These are not 3 separate devices.

Yes, I've watched the keynote more than once.

"Are you getting it?"

I've watched the keynote more than once too. And I still remember that particular moment. Steve got everyone excited as hell !
  • Reply 17 of 38
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Any news about FCC iPhone application?!

It is about one week away!
  • Reply 18 of 38
    Okay, since the iPhone is such a revolutionary device could this be a code for:

http://tinyurl.com/yap277

Maybe it will be a 3G iPhone plus the announcement of a new artist available on iTunes.

It would mark a 40th anniversary of the LP's release too which would be a nice touch.

Update: okay, the web now says Anonymous 5+4 refers to the company Anonymous Content. But wouldn't it be cool if in the keynote Jobs introduced: New 3G iPhone, new iTunes to go with it and one more thing... Sir Paul McCartney to play a song or two as they announce the Beatles catalog on iTunes.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    project2501project2501 Posts: 433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Any news about FCC iPhone application?!

It is about one week away!

Not to break your party, but in iPhone roadmap steve note, they say that, iPhone 2.0 software, is released late june, so they still have few weeks to go
  • Reply 20 of 38
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It peels, it chops, it blends, it slices, it dices... it even talks to mices!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It's three breath mints in one!

"It's a dessert topping AND a floor wax!"