Apple may re-brand .Mac internet service

Comments

• Reply 21 of 85
    I'm sorry, am I the only one thinking "Magical Me", like in Harry Potter, when I see "Mobile Me"?
  • Reply 22 of 85
    thecrowthecrow Posts: 11member
    Are you kidding me? Nobody has said anything about your email address changing. Relax! Even if Apple does make the change, who's to say they won't keep the mac.com email addresses around indefinitely? Man, some people get so fired up over nothing...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Man this really sucks. The more I read about this the more depressed I get.

I have been on .Mac for over eight years.

The "mac.com" email address was supposed to be for life!

And come on ... "mobileMe"???? WTF?

That's almost as stupid a name as "Yahoo!"

Steve Jobs if you are reading this I do *not* want to change my great email address to "[email protected]." I don't think anyone in their right mind would.

Out of the millions of possible names, "mobileMe" is not even a good one. In an email address without the intercapitals it reads "mobilame" ??? It also has no connection to Apple, Macs or iPhones.

This has to be either a joke, a misunderstanding. This is the first time in years I feel like saying "F*ck you" to Apple over one of their decisions.

• Reply 23 of 85
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    They should just shut it down and return the money to the stockhol.... oh, wait a second...

They should move to a free model and rebrand it Gmobile. Give the whole nut to Google.
  • Reply 24 of 85
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Apologies to everyone for my angry rant, and thanks to those who pointed out that I was being too emotional about the whole thing.

It's just that I went through so much trouble over the years to get and to keep that email address and to support .Mac that the thought that they would change it to something so ludicrous kind of felt like a giant kick in the bum.

Okay, breathing now ...

... calm blue ocean ... calm blue ocean ... calm blue ocean ...
  • Reply 25 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Man this really sucks. The more I read about this the more depressed I get.

And come on ... "mobileMe"???? WTF?

I don't really care what they call it, so long as they keep providing the iWeb enhanced webspace and online galleries (the main reason I bought in to .mac) and by far the biggest thing - sort out the damn speed issues, particularly in Europe. It crawls like a 3 legged rabid dog on sleeping pills sometimes, any time of the day, on a 10meg connection.
  • Reply 26 of 85
    celebi23celebi23 Posts: 23member
    So, I figured out that the mobileMeAlbum.png is encoded in the special version of the .png format that the iPhone OS uses. So, I fired up iPhonePNG & this is what was produced:

You can try this yourself for proof. On http://www.newsfirex.com/blog/?p=176, download the precompiled version

place "mobileMeAlbum.png" into your home folder. Open Terminal & type (without the quotation marks):

"iPhonePNG mobileMeAlbum.png"

& it will produce a "mobileMeAlbum-Decoded.png" file
  • Reply 27 of 85
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

They should just shut it down and return the money to the stockhol.... oh, wait a second...

They should move to a free model and rebrand it Gmobile. Give the whole nut to Google.

Hmm, interesting... But maybe not the whole nut. Use the Google online apps for mail, address book, and calendar. It looks like 10.5.3 already allows syncing with Google's contacts (haven't tried it yet to see how good a job it does). Google can already subscribe to published iCal calendars and iCal can subscribe to Google calendars, but they are each read-only, one-way so need to fix that. Not sure how well mail would work, Google and Apple's Mail each do some odd things with IMAP accounts.

The web site publishing and sync data could still be handled by Apple, just use Google's apps as the online clients for sync data instead of Apple's crippled versions.
  • Reply 28 of 85
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Panu View Post

Anyway, if you pronounce mobileme as moble-leem (accent on the second syllable), it sounds like a waitress in a diner. Imagine, "Hey, Mobileme, where's that beer I ordered?"

Isn't that a Chuck Berry song?
  • Reply 29 of 85
    cwebcweb Posts: 5member
    Firstly, IMHO, the @mac.com e-mail domain will not be going anywhere; there is too much brand recognition in it for Apple to simply forfeit it. As more users convert to the Mac platform and utilize the service, especially the younger generation as the cost of iPhone's decline, @mac.com will gain a certain penache and serve as a viral marketing tool. It will be cool the same way Facebook or MySpace is to them. I think .Mac will be revamped for this very reason; that being, in order to evolve it into an online social network. Mobile Me might just be an exclusive function of .Mac reserved for iPhone users. http://http://seekingalpha.com/artic...social-network
  • Reply 30 of 85
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    People of the planet .mac,

You need to calm down with these threats. So funny to read them I need a break sometimes. Apple will make it work, do not worry. I don't believe emails will change, probably you will have a choice of keeping @mac.com or updating it.

.mac is a great product but not explained well in Apple's Dictionary. If people knew what it is, they would buy it. Just like Apple TV. (LOL)

One thing i really hope they drop the Ancient Designs of iPages and iCards. They been on .mac for 6 years now. Don't redesign them. Just drop them....in trash.

Go APPLE!!!
  • Reply 31 of 85
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Nice.

I just got business stationery printed with my .mac address listed.
  • Reply 32 of 85
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by celebi23 View Post

So, I figured out that the mobileMeAlbum.png is encoded in the special version of the .png format that the iPhone OS uses. So, I fired up iPhonePNG & this is what was produced:

You can try this yourself for proof. On http://www.newsfirex.com/blog/?p=176, download the precompiled version

place "mobileMeAlbum.png" into your home folder. Open Terminal & type (without the quotation marks):

"iPhonePNG mobileMeAlbum.png"

& it will produce a "mobileMeAlbum-Decoded.png" file

So, the .png file is that blue book in your post? I'm trying to figure out if that is just a placeholder icon or if that is the real deal. Kind of weird for a "Mobile Me" icon.

Oh, and I like the Mobile Me name. Catchy.
  • Reply 33 of 85
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    There is no reason for the uproar over email addresses.

Even if new users get a MobileMe domain, there is no evidence to suggest Apple will force anyone to change their older dotmac email address. Rebranded Internet companies maintain alternate domains like this all the time.
  • Reply 34 of 85
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Isn't that a Chuck Berry song?

Whew! What a relief! That's what I thought, "Mobileme, why can't you be true?" I thought I must be crazy, but you came up with the same thing.

So, either I'm not crazy or we are both crazy in the exact same way!

As far as the suggestion regarding tossing it to Google, maybe they should do that can just call it gMac (and wait for the lawsuits to come from the General Motors Acceptance Corporation.)
  • Reply 35 of 85
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    For $99.00 you get web hosting, 10G storage, email, and back to my mac. Oh wait, I can get all of this for free somewhere else (except for back to my mac)!!

Really Apple, $8.25 a month is a lot for this. Why not make it real service with push email, integrate it more with iPhone, lower the price, and add more features.
  • Reply 36 of 85
    plazmanplazman Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Nice. I just got business stationery printed with my .mac address listed.

I doubt they would stop support the old domain.
  • Reply 37 of 85
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    any improvement would be welcome and we won't lose our email address....come on guys it's apple and its simple to connect the two domains.....we worry too much.
  • Reply 38 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

...come on guys it's apple...

That's what they're worried about!
  • Reply 39 of 85
    rknightrknight Posts: 2member
    Come on everyone. If they are going to rebrand .Mac (and it sure looks like they are going to) they are not going to get rid of the mac.com domain. So everyone who is freaking out about getting their @mac.com email changed... that wont happen. They may end up making mobileme.com for new subscribers, but all the old @mac.com's will stay the same.

That happen to me a long time ago when Verizon bought out the phone company I had my dial-up account email with. They changed everything to Verizon including new subscribers but left every existing one the same as it was.

Do you see your town randomly changing street names and addresses and forcing everyone to change? No.... so @mac.com isn't going anywhere.
  • Reply 40 of 85
    I'd prefer "Mobilize Me!"...