Roku's Netflix Player vs. Apple TV: unboxing and first impressions

Comments

• Reply 21 of 135
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Hardware, software, integration in home theater, hard drive, wireless technology, new release content and overall usability makes Apple TV the clear winner when compared with the ROKU.

HOWEVER, the one area and possibly the most important where the Roku clearly wins for most users is the NetFlix/Roku subscription plan..

Apple Tv NEEDS an all you can view montly flat rate plan to effectively compete with Netflix and Blockbuster online services.

I have an Apple TV, and I love it.. But quite honestly, I think $4.99 for a 24 hour HD rental is to steep a price for me to cancel my Netlix membership which allows me unlimited rentals (3 at a time) for $15 a month..

I rent an occasional HD title from Apple TV, but I'd be broke if I paid $4.99 for the amount of movies (Blu-Ray and standard DVD) I view with my Netflix subscription.

$229 is a very fair price for Apple TV, even compared to the $99 ROKU box.. But yeah, iTunes needs a subscription plan if it really wants to win big in the downloadable content war. I think it will remain a niche product until this happens.
  • Reply 22 of 135
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Oh Boy, they really went to town with the product design on that bad boy didn't they?
  • Reply 23 of 135
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    It's a black box, that streams videos.

It's not a beauty contest.

As far as the ATV, it's just an extension of iTunes, and iTunes has a terrible selection of movies, so I don't see how Apple could complain at the moment. As far Netflx, I've only rented DVD's, and it was awesome - streaming video be damned, Apple's movie rental prices be damned.

I'd rather hook up a Mini to large TV, that waste time with either of these offerings, but that's me.
  • Reply 24 of 135
    alanskyalansky Posts: 235member
    Another key difference between the Netflix and Apple TV download services is the available content. While Netflix offers more movies, most are older movies from the Netflix back catalogue. Apple's list of offerings is still in its growing phase, but includes many more recent releases.
  • Reply 25 of 135
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

I'd rather hook up a Mini to large TV, that waste time with either of these offerings, but that's me.

The main problem with the mini is even if you rent directly from iTunes, you can not download HD content without an Apple TV. Direct iTunes rentals are only in SD.
  • Reply 26 of 135
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    I think that the Roku device looks like a reasonable solution for a number of people, with an elegant lack of complexity. Ugly duckling, yes... but nice and simple.

Personally, I think the hard drive is overrated on the Apple TV (failure rates?)-- but it is a shame it can't cache content to a flash drive to support at least 4-5 movies being local. I picture the ISPs killing this business model pretty quickly, as it will add to bandwith usage during already peak periods. With chaching, they could have pushed much of the load to off-peak periods.

The extra $100 for a 16GB flash drive soldered into the thing would seem like a good investment to make it more of a long-term solution.

As for looks, My appleTV just sits in a notch in the back of the flatscreen. Tilted just right, I can still use the remote without a problem. Make it hidden and who cares what it looks like... just don't let it overheat with a hard drive that can't go into energy savings mode.
  • Reply 27 of 135
    Quote:

It's not a beauty contest.

It may not be a beauty contest, but c'mon, if it's sitting out in your living room in plain view, some consideration for aesthetics should be given the design. aTV wins hands down there.

Quote:

AMEN. Wish I'd thought of that route before plunking down for the aTV.
  • Reply 28 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

Hardware, software, integration in home theater, hard drive, wireless technology, new release content and overall usability makes Apple TV the clear winner when compared with the ROKU.

HOWEVER, the one area and possibly the most important where the Roku clearly wins for most users is the NetFlix/Roku subscription plan..

Apple Tv NEEDS an all you can view montly flat rate plan to effectively compete with Netflix and Blockbuster online services.

I have an Apple TV, and I love it.. But quite honestly, I think $4.99 for a 24 hour HD rental is to steep a price for me to cancel my Netlix membership which allows me unlimited rentals (3 at a time) for $15 a month..

I rent an occasional HD title from Apple TV, but I'd be broke if I paid $4.99 for the amount of movies (Blu-Ray and standard DVD) I view with my Netflix subscription.

$229 is a very fair price for Apple TV, even compared to the $99 ROKU box.. But yeah, iTunes needs a subscription plan if it really wants to win big in the downloadable content war. I think it will remain a niche product until this happens.

Wow, you summed up EXACTLY what I wanted to say!

Really the Apple TV is an amazing piece of hardware, though it fails when it comes to pricing. $2 a pop for non HD TV shows, buying the DVD box set is cheaper and if you hunt you could probably get the BD box set for the same price!

$5 for an HD rental, my local store charges ~$2.50 (old movies are a $1 and yes these are DVDs) and they have to have physical media that can run out and have an actual building to up keep.

Why can't Apple take out the cable guys, $40-$60 a month for unlimited TV shows and Movies all in 720p and 5.1 surround. Now THAT I would rush out to get and replace my cable with!
  • Reply 29 of 135
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reallynotnick View Post

Wow, you summed up EXACTLY what I wanted to say!

Really the Apple TV is an amazing piece of hardware, though it fails when it comes to pricing. $2 a pop for non HD TV shows, buying the DVD box set is cheaper and if you hunt you could probably get the BD box set for the same price!

$5 for an HD rental, my local store charges ~$2.50 (old movies are a $1 and yes these are DVDs) and they have to have physical media that can run out and have an actual building to up keep.

Why can't Apple take out the cable guys, $40-$60 a month for unlimited TV shows and Movies all in 720p and 5.1 surround. Now THAT I would rush out to get and replace my cable with!

Apple doesn't own the content. I'm sure that Apple would be overjoyed to give you the prices and selection that you want, but the content providers aren't playing ball.
  • Reply 30 of 135
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    If you think iTunes selection of movies suck, you obviously haven't used Netflix online. It's 10x worse.

Right now Apple holds the BEST position to get real movies pumped into consumers homes....
  • Reply 31 of 135
    mbene12mbene12 Posts: 42member
    does the Roku have all released seasons of the Simpsons, Futurama, the Office, Family Guy, and South Park available for instant viewing like my AppleTV does?

Thats enough for me to decide which is of more utility. I own the DVDs of the above mentioned media but its a total PITA trying to find the dics a given episode is on, put it in the machine, wait for it to spin up, navigate the menus etc. Handbrake I cant quit you
  • Reply 32 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

Very true, the flat rate-option would be highly appreciated.

I would love to have movie rentals available in Europe. I definitely see some potential here, the prices shouldn?t be converted directly to Euros, 5 Euros for one HD movie is simply too expensive. 2 Euros for SD movies, 3 for HD and I am sold...! As the service expands into different countries, a language selection would also be quite convenient.

AppleTV?s look is far superior to the Roku box, without any doubt. And yes, it matters if you plan on using it in your living room.
  • Reply 33 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

Apple doesn't own the content. I'm sure that Apple would be overjoyed to give you the prices and selection that you want, but the content providers aren't playing ball.

Yes of course I understand that, but you see Netflix has all these movies (mind you pretty poor ones) for $10 a month plus some discs in the mail.

It is totally possible for Apple to hit within that price range, and it seems the music studios love the whole subscription thing and DRM so it makes sense.

Also a totally free ad-supported version would be pretty sweet, like Hulu except better video quality.

These movie studies can't be making much off my $1 DVD rentals.
  • Reply 34 of 135
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    How is this thing supposed to support HD streaming in the future, if it only has 64MB of RAM (supposedly)?
  • Reply 35 of 135
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    This is the approach Apple should have taken with the Apple TV: make a device that does one thing and does it well. I hope this unit is more successful than the Apple TV and it teaches them a lesson.
  • Reply 36 of 135
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    AppleTV is unfortunately nothing more than a conduit to buying media from iTunes and not much more -basically a jukebox to keep putting money in Apple's pocket- no wonder it hasn't taken off. If it weren't for Handbrake it would be useless for me. Oh well maybe Take3 will give us more than options to purchase and rent from iTunes.
  • Reply 37 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DistortedLoop View Post

It may not be a beauty contest, but c'mon, if it's sitting out in your living room in plain view, some consideration for aesthetics should be given the design. aTV wins hands down there.

Are you for real? Apple has come up with some stunning designs but the the Apple TV is hardly one of them. A thing of beauty-NOT- and it is as hot as a warming plate even when off. It looks like a sushi plate. Why is that more attractive than an black box? I swear some of the posts here are simply preposterous to say the least!
  • Reply 38 of 135
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Hopefully Apple will consider lowering the price of AppleTV now that it is a constant stream of income instead a just a hardware.

That's my hope too. If they had lowered it to $199 instead of $229 last MacWorld then I would have bought one more easily. Now, my price point is $149. The hardware for the AppleTV has not changed since it was intro'd a year and a half ago. They added the option for a 160Gb drive but that's it. Apple's profits on those are a bit fat and they can afford to drop the price down a bit more for volume sake.
  • Reply 39 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

As for looks, My appleTV just sits in a notch in the back of the flatscreen. Tilted just right, I can still use the remote without a problem. Make it hidden and who cares what it looks like... just don't let it overheat with a hard drive that can't go into energy savings mode.

I had to put mine on a non-heat conducive wood block as to not have a thermal meltdown in my NYC apartment. All that energy that is constantly being expended - is this product even Green friendly? I swear I could melt a cheese tuna melt on it.
  • Reply 40 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

That's my hope too. If they had lowered it to $199 instead of $229 last MacWorld then I would have bought one more easily. Now, my price point is $149. The hardware for the AppleTV has not changed since it was intro'd a year and a half ago. They added the option for a 160Gb drive but that's it. Apple's profits on those are a bit fat and they can afford to drop the price down a bit more for volume sake.

Dropping the price even more without giving it more functionality will only fuel the consumer suspicion that it's a bomb.