Report: 3G iPhone 22% thinner, better battery life

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 113
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

How much is an 8GB stick? Is the same kind (density and speed) NAND that Apple uses in the iPhone?

I bought Kingston 8GB class 6 SDHC for $40 each.

I can't find any information on what's in the iPhone.
  • Reply 102 of 113
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I bought Kingston 8GB class 6 SDHC for $40 each.

I can't find any information on what's in the iPhone.

I don't know even about Flash to know which is better, faster or more expensive than others.
    "8GB iPhone employs Samsung's 65-nanometer 8-Gbyte MLC NAND flash."

( source )
  • Reply 103 of 113
    photoeditorphotoeditor Posts: 244member
    Someone tell the design Nazis at Apple that it's already thin enough. If you get it any thinner, it will become uncomfortable to hold like the RAZR flip phones. Their real object should be to improve battery life and functionality within the current dimensions, and thereby make the multimedia functions as realistic to use heavily as the telephone functions.
  • Reply 104 of 113
    photoeditorphotoeditor Posts: 244member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

It's clear that Apple will try to make a better iPhone, by improving on iPhone 1.0

They need to

1) Improve reception - by adopting a more radio-transparent case

2) Add 3G - which comes at the price of increased power consumption

3) Beef up the battery - which means making the phone fatter

4) Offset the fatness - by having thin tapered edges.

This is exactly what we are seeing in the leaked images.

We have seen 5 or 6 images from different sources showing exactly the same design. Some in Pearl some in Jet.

Folks, we are going to get a slightly fatter phone, with a non-metal back.

The fatness is not going to be a problem because the edges will be thinner, mirroring the MacBook Air. It will slide into your pocket and *feel* thinner.

C.

Now these suggestions make sense. I also hope that, as with the iPod, they can find ways of improving battery life other than simply making the battery bigger.
  • Reply 105 of 113
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member

HTML Code:
     i'm skeptical. They released the old one less than a year ago. In a year, they've supposedly added 3G, GPS, quadrupled the RAM and it's a quarter thinner - yet the battery life has increased?

If true, I'd be ecstatic. I just don't believe it.

12 months of Apple development go us this:

iPod Mini, Meet iPod Nano.

almost 1/3rd the size, more battery life, color screen with new features: photos, calendar, etc.
  • Reply 106 of 113
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

12 months of Apple development go us this:

iPod Mini, Meet iPod Nano.

almost 1/3rd the size, more battery life, color screen with new features: photos, calendar, etc.

There is a major difference in the hardware. A 3G iPhone radio will consumer MORE power over the 2G iPhone radio; but the iPod Nano consumed LESS power than the iPod Mini because it replaced the 1.8" HDD with Flash, which also reduced its size.
  • Reply 107 of 113
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by photoeditor View Post

Someone tell the design Nazis at Apple that it's already thin enough. If you get it any thinner, it will become uncomfortable to hold like the RAZR flip phones.

That's likely the whole point of the more curved shape. I sent feedback along with hundreds of others I'd bet telling them it was too angular to hold comfortably on long calls.
  • Reply 108 of 113
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

That's likely the whole point of the more curved shape. I sent feedback along with hundreds of others I'd bet telling them it was too angular to hold comfortably on long calls.

A curved back may be a lot smarter. A curved object may feel more "organic" to hold. After all, I don't know anyone that has square hands.
  • Reply 109 of 113
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

if you think the phone is too thin to hold on long calls, get a BT earpiece... or super glue a foam block to the back.
  • Reply 110 of 113
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I too find the current iPhone too thin to easily hold. This is compounded by the touch screen making only the sides useful for gripping.

Apple's designers and engineers are certainly not oblivious to line of criticism. Hopefully the issue is addressed quicker than was the hockey puck mouse.
  • Reply 111 of 113
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    post deleted
  • Reply 112 of 113
    s.asads.asad Posts: 51member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Did you not read the part about having better battery life?

Even if you could fit a battery with longer battey in an iPhone with the same thickness as the current model, it might add more weight.

Good!

When will Steve give us a slightly thicker and heavier iPhone Supreme, sporting 64GB and a die hard of a battery ?

Thin and light was the big selling point BEFORE everything was thin and light enough.
  • Reply 113 of 113
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    thin is good, now that allows me to put on a protective cover and still be thin,

i'm sorry i've got to talk about something this waiting (at the office) is killing me. I need a window

why is apple stock falling??