Apple's OS X iPhone, Leopard banners show OS split pre-WWDC

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple has unfurled its customary banners in the run-up to WWDC and is emphasizing the split between OS X iPhone and OS X Leopard in what promises to be a company-defining event.

While no graphics covered with black drapes have yet appeared at the Moscone Center venue that would hint at product announcements, Apple is making it clear that there are now two distinct operating systems under its wings -- an allusion to the diverging paths in its invitation to developers.

On one banner in Moscone's lobby, Apple refers to its conventional Mac operating system as OS X Leopard and touts the software as "the world's most advanced operating system," a claim it has made in the past. However, a second banner hanging overhead also promotes OS X iPhone as "the world's most advanced mobile platform," stressing both the newly-coined name for the software behind the iPhone and iPod touch as well as Apple's belief in its touchscreen software as the start of broader platform rather than just a narrowly-focused adaptation of its code.

Outside, Apple is making its occupation of the San Francisco locale through its more traditional if obvious means: giant Apple logos adorn the main windows, while small pennants and other banners surround the ground floors.

Visit MacNN for even more photos of Apple's early setup process for WWDC.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 69
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    F

r

e

n

z

y

approaching...
  • Reply 2 of 69
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Apple hazzzz best designers.

"OS X iPhone - The Future .... Calling...." -- how clever!!!
  • Reply 3 of 69
    m.o.s.tm.o.s.t Posts: 255member

Picture of two bridges ..... Landmark event in more ways than one ....... Two bridges = OSX for Mac and OSX for iPhone/iPod Touch
  • Reply 4 of 69
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by M.O.S.T View Post

<image>

Picture of two bridges ..... Landmark event in more ways than one ....... Two bridges = OSX for Mac and OSX for iPhone/iPod Touch

I'm glad we finally have some closure on the meaning of that image. There have been so many bizarre and profusely incorrect theories as to its meaning for the past few months.
  • Reply 5 of 69
    I don't want to seem like a troll, since this is my first comment in these forums, but I have been reading AppleInsider for years now. But the usage of photos in this article really galls me.

It's extremely lame to use pictures from MacNN to illustrate this article without clear attribution as to the source. I know there's the "Visit MacNN for even more photos" line, but it should be made clear that the photos used originated from MacNN's website.
  • Reply 6 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilburpan View Post

I don't want to seem like a troll, since this is my first comment in these forums, but I have been reading AppleInsider for years now. But the usage of photos in this article really galls me.

It's extremely lame to use pictures from MacNN to illustrate this article without clear attribution as to the source. I know there's the "Visit MacNN for even more photos" line, but it should be made clear that the photos used originated from MacNN's website.

I agree. I don't think adding it would take away from AI content (which I think may be the reason for not adding it or obscuring it), but adds to AI being a respectable source for all things Apple.

Welcome to AI.
  • Reply 7 of 69
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilburpan View Post

I've said similar things before. It's also copyright infringement unless the source has given permission to use those images.
  • Reply 8 of 69
    bpattonbpatton Posts: 19member
    :: sighs ::

I'm just hoping to hear something about the rumored (HIGHLY rumored) refresh to the MBP and MB line, regarding a new look. I've had my sights set on a new MBP, to upgrade from my MB, but I don't want to throw 2Gs on the table and Apple release something new on me.

Anyone else care to share light on the refresh? If it even still exists? I saw the previous post with a picture of a possible mysterious Apple shipment, but the arguement that it might just be bundled new iPhones in large boxes seems to be more plausible than new MBs.
  • Reply 9 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bpatton View Post

I'm just hoping to hear something about the rumored (HIGHLY rumored) refresh to the MBP and MB line, regarding a new look.

Historically, it's way too soon for a refresh.
  • Reply 10 of 69
    I think the other 'landmark' part of this keynote will be they'll announce the license OS X coming in January.

Think about it for a second. They've dropped all reference to Mac in the OS X posters and I think Snow Leopard will be the release for all PC's in January. They dropped a bombshell a few years ago with the move to Intel. This just seems to be a natural progression of the OS for all.

Anyway just my thoughts on this.
  • Reply 11 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stellaclose View Post

I think the other 'landmark' part of this keynote will be they'll announce the license OS X coming in January.

Think about it for a second. They've dropped all reference to Mac in the OS X posters and I think Snow Leopard will be the release for all PC's in January. They dropped a bombshell a few years ago with the move to Intel. This just seems to be a natural progression of the OS for all.

Anyway just my thoughts on this.

While I don't think so and certainly hope not, your supporting argument is the best I've seen on the topic... and that scares me.
  • Reply 12 of 69
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    In the fourth photo, there's a sweet BMW motorcycle on the left. Let's talk about that instead of Apple stuff...
  • Reply 13 of 69
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by M.O.S.T View Post

It cost $4 to cross that bridge, so two bridges means will will be paying $8 to use something that should be free.
  • Reply 14 of 69
    mrparetmrparet Posts: 18member
    As stated previously, you do have a sound arguement. However, Apple had always said that "people who are serious about software should do their own hardware." I'm quoting Steve Jobs directly. In addition, one of the plus sides of the Mac is that Apple builds the entire thing. This is a great attribute. There's less hardware/software conflicts. I also don't see Jobs allowing OS X to be run on the trash Dell calls a computer. It's not going to happen. At least not until after Jobs steps down.
  • Reply 15 of 69
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bpatton View Post

:: sighs ::

I'm just hoping to hear something about the rumored (HIGHLY rumored) refresh to the MBP and MB line, regarding a new look. I've had my sights set on a new MBP, to upgrade from my MB, but I don't want to throw 2Gs on the table and Apple release something new on me.

Anyone else care to share light on the refresh? If it even still exists? I saw the previous post with a picture of a possible mysterious Apple shipment, but the arguement that it might just be bundled new iPhones in large boxes seems to be more plausible than new MBs.

Wasn't Intel having problems with the next version of their chipsets? I thought that was going to push delivery until something around the Sept-ish timeframe. I highly doubt Apple would announce a laptop that wasn't going to be shipping for another 2-3 months because it would kill their summer sales.

In any event, even with the originally rumored Intel rollout, it was unlikely Apple would have made announcements at WWDC because Intel wouldn't have been shipping in high enough quantities by then.

Sorry. Just think, you could have been getting great use out of a new Penryn for months now if you would have stopped reading the rumor sites and just bought your laptop when they came out.
  • Reply 16 of 69
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Regarding the "licensing OS X" talk... it would make absolutely no business sense at this point in time:

-Apple isn't having trouble keeping up with production demands for computers

-The Apple "brand" places value on "cool, elegant, and easy." Licensing detracts from all of these.

-OSX could actually hit double-digit market share quite soon, without other manufacturers "helping out."

-Potential vendors gain more from selling Linux-- it's free!

-Apple's only potential gain out if it is end-users upgrading over time. The likelihood they can derrive profit (or loyalty) out of clones is extremely low.

-The market Apple doesn't compete in is the low-end desktop. In this market, Linux again provides more value than licensed OSX would.

-The Mid-Tower market that actually has some opportunity for Apple can be better served with another kind of innovation; Apple keeping this open for themselves seems more profitable.

The divide is for developers, not for Apple Inc.
  • Reply 17 of 69
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    "OS X iPhone"? Whaaaaat?

That name sure limits this as a product (although I didn't actually see this name on any of the photos shown above)... Why not something that could apply to any like product... a name like "OS X Mobile" would at least keep it flexible enough for future (unknown) products.

Ugh! Awful inconsistent naming!!! I just saw the banner on Macrumors...

What makes more sense...

- Mac OS X Leopard

- iPhone OS X Leopard Cub (for example... or Little Leopard, if you like)

...or...

- OS X Leopard

- OS X iPhone ... uh...
  • Reply 18 of 69
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Does anyone else see a tablet in the main banner?

http://images.appleinsider.com/08_wwdc_f_6.jpg

In the middle, positioned in front of the MBA?

Or is it just an iPhone?
  • Reply 19 of 69
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    I see this...

• Reply 20 of 69
    I can't wait to watch this event online. Apple is truly the most exciting and inspiring company on earth.