Aussie Apple resellers receive boxes with "DO NOT OPEN" warning

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I hope my candidness is not taken the wrong way, but while I truly an sorry that you are offended I can not honestly be sorry for the joke itself. It's the nature of most jokes; you add hyperbole to a grain of truth for comedic effect. The real crime here is that the joke wasn't that funny.
  • Reply 22 of 61
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    If it's real, it could be a way for Apple to suss out leakers. I don't think it's real, personally.
  • Reply 23 of 61
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Just because something would be easy to fake doesn't mean it actually is fake. I say it's real - it's a serious website and source is someone they know.

Just because some people say it's a fake doesn't mean they're are saying that just because it's their opinion. It is actually fake.

1. The bottom edge of the label is blurred.

2. The text in the center of the stamp halfway under the label is blurred while the surrounding text is clear.

3. The text on the label doesn't conform to the curves of the label itself.

4. That is the bottom of the box the label is affixed to.

5. Apple shipments aren't sent from that address.

6. Apple doesn't affix mailing labels to packages with packaging tape.

7. Apple doesn't send out "store samples"
  • Reply 24 of 61
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

with a warning across the top that breaching the boxes ahead of June 10th would be a violation of their non-disclosure agreements with the company.

That's not what is says at all.

The box/contents is covered under the NDA and is not to be opened until Tuesday.

Maybe Apple sent a slightly different model to each store and when the pictures/details get leaked, they will know exactly who did it?

They could move the icons around on each one to to identify it.

Also, isn't it kinda like storing wrapped Christmas presents in an 8 year old's bedoom and telling him, "we are going out for a few hours but do NOT look in your closet where your Christmas presents are."
  • Reply 25 of 61
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    I'm not able to outright denounce this as a fake.

What would be the point of faking that? It's not like they're disclosing any information by doing so.

Also, if you notice, the stamp on the box (under the bottom of the label) says "Shang Hai." If you've ever purchased an iPod or iPhone, you know it comes from China.

And, I'll bet if it is a demo iPhone, Apple has installed a time-based activation device that only allows the phone to be activated (turned on) after a certain date or time. Sure it can be hacked, but no company would take the risk of tearing apart their demo device. Also, no Apple supplier wants to piss of Apple by opening a product early.

Evidence for it being a fake

– You'd probably be hearing about other companies getting similar boxes

– The iPhone probably won't ship until at least a week after the keynote as indicated by the AT&T and Apple vacation blackout days.

– Why would opening a box early break Apple's "Non Disclosure Agreement"? The NDA indicates knowledge is GIVEN by Apple to a supplier in advance and the supplier agrees not to disclose the information. Here Apple is giving them a box... and they don't find out what's inside until everybody else in the world can? That doesn't sound like a very useful NDA if you ask me.
  • Reply 26 of 61
    If it's opened early, the iPhone will automatically phone "home base" and identify the leaker.
  • Reply 27 of 61
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    I think the joke was funny so there.
  • Reply 28 of 61
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,335moderator
    Why are we all talking about a box with a sticker on it? Is anyone still in doubt about the new iphone?

Anyway, simple way to get them to legally open the box is to phone in a bomb threat. Then they kinda have to open the parcel.

This seems genuine - after all, surely Australian resellers would confirm if it wasn't. It's also not going to be the case where the contents will be released trivially because it's one box and the reseller could lose their job/company etc.

If someone sent me a parcel like that and my job and company was at stake, I'd guard it pretty heavily. Sure take a picture of it and give people something to talk about - oddly people seem to say more about a closed box than an open one.
  • Reply 29 of 61
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I'm not saying this is real or fake, but none of the reasons posted here as to why it's an "obvious fake" have any merit whatsoever IMO.

I'm also surprised that someone hasn't pointed out that the box size and shape run counter to the argument that there is only a "single new iphone" inside as stated.

Totally irrelevant. It probably also contains promotional materials as well as protective foam.

As to the Photoshop remarks...

Why in all hell would one need to Photoshop that?

Not saying if I do or don't call fake, not sure yet, but both those arguments are bogus.
  • Reply 30 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Anyway, simple way to get them to legally open the box is to phone in a bomb threat. Then they kinda have to open the parcel.

Sure. I suppose you would start opening boxes if you had a bomb threat?

Isn't that something you would let the police bomb squad take care of?
  • Reply 31 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Sure. I suppose you would start opening boxes if you had a bomb threat?

Isn't that something you would let the police bomb squad take care of?

Besides, the package would be dropped in tank and detonated by the bomb squad. You'd never know what it was then.
  • Reply 32 of 61
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

As to the Photoshop remarks...

Why in all hell would one need to Photoshop that?

You haven't been around here long have you?

This happens every year. There's no reason as to why someone would do it, they just do. I have absolutely no idea why someone would photoshop a label on a box instead of just making it by hand, which would have taken less time, but they did.
  • Reply 33 of 61
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Just because some people say it's a fake doesn't mean they're are saying that just because it's their opinion. It is actually fake.

1. The bottom edge of the label is blurred.

2. The text in the center of the stamp halfway under the label is blurred while the surrounding text is clear.

3. The text on the label doesn't conform to the curves of the label itself.

4. That is the bottom of the box the label is affixed to.

5. Apple shipments aren't sent from that address.

6. Apple doesn't affix mailing labels to packages with packaging tape.

7. Apple doesn't send out "store samples"

1, 2, 3 and 7 are wrong. 4 and 6 are irrelevant, 5 I don't know about but I am guessing you are wrong on that too.

I put this photo through the photoshop wrangler and nothing of what you speak crops up at all. Most of your argument centres around variations in focus, but that can be the case in legitimate pictures also for a variety of reasons from stuff on the lens, to a bad lens, to a bad compression.

The only clear Photoshop artefact in the whole image is in the area of the blacked out label.

Unfortunately for the people crying "fake," it appears as if it's the result of a blur filter being used first, followed by the black square for good measure. I therefore repeat ... it might be fake but there hasn't been any evidence presented to prove that yet. (IMO of course)

Also @ Jensonb ...

The fact that a box purported to contain "a single iphone" is big enough to hold five or more is not "totally irrelevant" or "bogus" by any means. The existence of various contrary explanations for that doesn't automatically make the assumption that it might not contain a "single iphone" wrong. In fact, Occam's razor would give more weight to my interpretation than yours.
  • Reply 34 of 61
    Quote:

I'm also surprised that someone hasn't pointed out that the box size and shape run counter to the argument that there is only a "single new iphone" inside as stated.

The box could also be packed with marketing material (brochures, banners, placards, etc.)
  • Reply 35 of 61
    Hey, it's not against the NDA to shake the box!
  • Reply 36 of 61
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    FAKE

Apple would not risk spoiling Steve's keynote. Even with a NDA, there is no way. Too much risk.

Monday can't get here sooner enough.
  • Reply 37 of 61
    iansilviansilv Posts: 283member
    Why would someone go to the trouble of faking a photograph of a box?

If it is fake, I would imagine someone took a picture of a real box with a real label they made and taped it to a brownbox!
  • Reply 38 of 61
    they should bring the box round and we can either go to see the dentist next door (who has a fine digital x-ray set up) or we'll take it up to the airport and stuff it thru the baggage scanner..... debate solved in an instant!

or does the NDA specify that the package cant be irradiated?
  • Reply 39 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

Why would someone go to the trouble of faking a photograph of a box?

If it is fake, I would imagine someone took a picture of a real box with a real label they made and taped it to a brownbox!

Same reason why Shaw Wu gives out half-baked AAPL stock analyses. He needs the attention.
  • Reply 40 of 61
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:

1, 2, 3 and 7 are wrong. 4 and 6 are irrelevant, 5 I don't know about but I am guessing you are wrong on that too.

I put this photo through the photoshop wrangler and nothing of what you speak crops up at all. Most of your argument centres around variations in focus, but that can be the case in legitimate pictures also for a variety of reasons from stuff on the lens, to a bad lens, to a bad compression.

The only clear Photoshop artefact in the whole image is in the area of the blacked out label.

Unfortunately for the people crying "fake," it appears as if it's the result of a blur filter being used first, followed by the black square for good measure. I therefore repeat ... it might be fake but there hasn't been any evidence presented to prove that yet. (IMO of course)

Also @ Jensonb ...

The fact that a box purported to contain "a single iphone" is big enough to hold five or more is not "totally irrelevant" or "bogus" by any means. The existence of various contrary explanations for that doesn't automatically make the assumption that it might not contain a "single iphone" wrong. In fact, Occam's razor would give more weight to my interpretation than yours.

That was my fault, I misinterpreted you as meaning the box likely contained something other than an iPhone, or was just a random box being used for a hoax. Sorry about that.

As to your Photoshop analysis, thanks for doing that. I didn't think there was much wrong with it when using the naked eye. For one thing, the paper is clearly stuck onto the box and may in fact be a sticker since if you follow the creases in the tape on the left inwards, they are carried over in the paper just like if you smoothed a paper sticker over them.