Aussie Apple resellers receive boxes with "DO NOT OPEN" warning

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    tmizerektmizerek Posts: 19member
    I think the box contains a poster introducing the Beatles on iTunes.
  • Reply 42 of 61
    Apple Resellers in the US have NEVER been authorized to sell the iPhone. You can only get an iPhone from Apple online, official Apple stores, or official AT&T sites. Maybe Austrailia is different... but I doubt it.

So, for an Austrailian reseller to get one?! I don't think so. Maybe it's Snow Leopard or docs on the iPhone SDK. Maybe it's one of those misleading leaked items that Apple sent deliberately, thinking no one would really not open the box despite being told not to.

But, it's not a new iPhone. The guy who staged that picture is probably laughing away.
  • Reply 43 of 61
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

I think the joke was funny so there.

That could be because you haven't heard it before or else you just like repetition.

Many Australians have heard this one, over and over and over... Like most jokes too often repeated they cease to be even faintly amusing at some point and just become an irritation.

If it had been an 'original' joke at Australians expense I would probably laugh my head off - but it's not:

Quote:

"To improve Australia, how about shooting all Australians and then repopulating the country with Brits who are keen to emigrate and who are not descended from criminals."

"In retrospect it was a bit of an error to decimate our sporting gene pool by sending the our finest criminals down-under in the first place. It's like 2 branches on the sporting evolutionary tree."

"Of course Aussies are going to be able to crack this stuff fast, they're descended from criminals! It's in the blood!"

"though I don't really see how they can object since nearly every white person there is descended from a criminal - as we used to send them all there from the UK."

"Don't do this.... Customs guys are not known for their sense of humour, particularly when it is an offensive joke, that they've heard literally thousands of times before.

I know of one English guy, who told me of his arrival in the country, where his friend had filled out the criminal record question on the immigration form, with exactly that: "I didn't think you needed one any more...". Customs took one look at it, he got taken off for a private interview, and ended up heading back to Heathrow the same day.

Thousands of £'s to see the inside of Sydney airport, can't come back for years, holiday they had planned for years ruined.

Pretty funny huh ?"

The proportion of Australians actually descended from convicts is about 1-2%

There were only ever 165,000 convicts in total.

Back to the topic. Why are so many people convinced it is an iPhone? Could be something else entirely - if it weren't a fake of course.
  • Reply 44 of 61
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midmodave View Post

Apple Resellers in the US have NEVER been authorized to sell the iPhone. You can only get an iPhone from Apple online, official Apple stores, or official AT&T sites. Maybe Austrailia is different... but I doubt it.

So, for an Austrailian reseller to get one?! I don't think so. Maybe it's Snow Leopard or docs on the iPhone SDK. Maybe it's one of those misleading leaked items that Apple sent deliberately, thinking no one would really not open the box despite being told not to.

But, it's not a new iPhone. The guy who staged that picture is probably laughing away.

That's not the case in Australia, we heard that a while ago
  • Reply 45 of 61
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Considering that currently there are how many Apple stores in Australia?

Oh, so that means that Apple can't sell the iPhone in Australia? Nope.

Vodafone and Optus will... so resellers will..

And I have a reseller 200 m away, and he has shown me the iPhone in the order inventory.
  • Reply 46 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

Considering that currently there are how many Apple stores in Australia?

Oh, so that means that Apple can't sell the iPhone in Australia? Nope.

Vodafone and Optus will... so resellers will..

And I have a reseller 200 m away, and he has shown me the iPhone in the order inventory.

And this reseller is...
  • Reply 47 of 61
    I'd have thought the Australian's here might have picked up on Apples address?

Postcode for Sydney South 1235?? As far as I know, all of NSW postcodes start with 2!!

The faker couldn't even get a correct address. End of story.
  • Reply 48 of 61
    gastroboygastroboy Posts: 530member
    Probably their redundancy notices once the AppleStores open.
  • Reply 49 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brentonbrenton View Post

Postcode for Sydney South 1235?? As far as I know, all of NSW postcodes start with 2!!

The key words here are "As far as I know". The postcode is correct.

Only on an Apple website would people get this excited over a photo of a plain box that is going to be opened in a few days anyway.
  • Reply 50 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Why is it a fake?

why is it not misdirection?

Why hasnt Brendan (Ireland) posted that it IS a REAL LIVE i(Pad) Touch

or as Steve will announce it inside Brendans head "An iPatch"

Why Hasnt Temp Insanity been opened??

My god! Its full of Stars!

• Reply 51 of 61
    bikerdudebikerdude Posts: 84member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

You do have to remember that MacTalk has received tip-offs before and they have, every time, proved legitemate.

And that line about Australians, i take personally. Be it sarcastic or not.

Chill dude, it is a joke
  • Reply 52 of 61
    bikerdudebikerdude Posts: 84member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I hope my candidness is not taken the wrong way, but while I truly an sorry that you are offended I can not honestly be sorry for the joke itself. It's the nature of most jokes; you add hyperbole to a grain of truth for comedic effect. The real crime here is that the joke wasn't that funny.

True, not a funny joke, but a joke none the less.

The other guy seems to represent a very very small minority of us aussies who seem to see slander in everything that is said about our heritage.

Me, on the other hand, will simply hunt you down and draw and quarter you in public.

• Reply 53 of 61
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brentonbrenton View Post

Very good idea to think of that, but you should have checked.

http://www1.auspost.com.au/postcodes...submit1=Search

Postcode is correct.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by midmodave View Post

I don't think Vodafone has any Vodafone owned stores - they're all resellers. Add that to there being no Apple Stores in Australia (but 2 starting in Sydney soon, 1 in Melbourne) - and if you lived anywhere else in Australia you simply couldn't buy an iPhone.

That would be unfortunate. So Apple would be forced to sell iPhones through existing mobile phone resellers. In fact, a big apple reseller was bought out by a mobile phone chain less than a year ago... so they would be able to sell phones.

Not saying the above is true, just doesn't show it's a fake. I still think Apple Australia & the couriers meant to deliver this Monday 5pm and got it wrong due the public holiday.
  • Reply 54 of 61
    yvo84yvo84 Posts: 84member
    So few Aussies are descendants of criminals. And if you check history correctly, most of these so called "crims" were charged with petty crimes, such as stealing bread and other misdemeanors. The jails were full in England, so the leaders of the time figured it was best to ship them all down to the new land they found. And of course their wives and children were to come too. They were hardly real criminals, which is why the country built up so well in such little time -- hard work. The common notion in this country is a "fair go" for all. Which is something England lacked at the time.

The real criminals, murderers etc. were left in the jails of England (they weren't exactly going to let them play on the ships, were they). In this way, the country was built upon the riff-raff of the time. People considered worthless for the progression of England. Not full blown criminals. This is why the people of this country are so friendly.
  • Reply 55 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yvo84 View Post

So few Aussies are descendants of criminals. And if you check history correctly, most of these so called "crims" were charged with petty crimes, such as stealing bread and other misdemeanors. The jails were full in England, so the leaders of the time figured it was best to ship them all down to the new land they found. And of course their wives and children were to come too. They were hardly real criminals, which is why the country built up so well in such little time -- hard work. The common notion in this country is a "fair go" for all. Which is something England lacked at the time.

The real criminals, murderers etc. were left in the jails of England (they weren't exactly going to let them play on the ships, were they). In this way, the country was built upon the riff-raff of the time. People considered worthless for the progression of England. Not full blown criminals. This is why the people of this country are so friendly.

A bit too romantic my friend.

There were plenty of hardened criminals amongst the convicts sent to Australia. Many were so incorrigible that they rapidly had to create jails within the jail, at Norfolk Island, Tasmania, Crescent Head, Moreton Bay etc.

It is true that it did become one of the great reformatories of all time. Many of the convicts went on to become good and prosperous citizens once their term was up. Proving that opportunity is a great leveller, and that many criminals given an alternative will readily switch to legal pursuits.

You have to remember that these were the same class of criminals that previously had been sent to America, but the American War of Independence had put the kibosh on that.
  • Reply 56 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Australian resellers began receiving mysterious packages from Apple on Friday with a warning across the top that breaching the boxes ahead of June 10th would be a violation of their non-disclosure agreements with the company.

mactalk.com.au, which posted the below photo to its forums, notes that June 10th in Australia is actually around the same time of Apple chief executive Steve Jobs's June 9th WWDC keynote in the US. The site adds that it believes the boxes contain a single demonstration 3G iPhone to be displayed by the resellers immediately following the company's announcements.

Earlier this year, the Australian Apple fan site published a report in which it said that local resellers had started to receive guidance from the Cupertino-based company regarding a local 3G iPhone launch during the final week of June.

The report added that the touch-screen handset would arrive unlocked for use on many of the nation's wireless carriers and that Australian Apple resellers, unlike those in the US and Europe, would be privy to market the device to their customers.

In recent weeks both Vodafone and SingTel have announced deals with Apple to market the next-generation iPhone in Australia.

All this fuss over plain brown boxes and nought when the deadline comes and now is past!
  • Reply 57 of 61
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    I don't see where it was posted what was in the boxes, can someone update the thread?
  • Reply 58 of 61
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

I don't see where it was posted what was in the boxes, can someone update the thread?

On the 48th page (linked below) of the MacTalk discussion thread, they say it was a hoax played on them. They don't post any retraction on their front page which I would have liked (instead of searching for what happened!).

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/19/5061...-under-48.html

On this last page, read the first post (by Decryption) and the last post if you want more detail.
  • Reply 59 of 61
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

web-mobile.net

The guys here did that. They are French and the boxes weren't going all over the world. I went the day of the keynote to that site and he had a video of the whole thing. He showed how he put the whole thing together, photo-shopping, the cardboard box was a camera box etc.
  • Reply 60 of 61
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Speaking of boxes, what ever happened to the vast piles of boxen Fortune scoped out, so numerous they had to be stacked outside the facility?