Apple pushing iPhone developers to charge for would-be free apps

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 151
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Hey philip, if you want everyone to know you're philip, you could have just made your username, oh I don't know, something like philip. (It would help your "common-sense" argument. )

You asserted that "true" artists don't charge for their work. Does that mean "true" farmers don't charge for their produce? Does that mean that "true" ditch diggers don't charge for the ditches they dig?

You seem genuinely offended by the exchange of goods except through charity. Keep in mind that the only time true 100% communism has worked in all of recorded human history, is in small and isolated socio-economic units such as remote villages. To prefer that lifestyle is perfectly reasonable, but you shouldn't expect things like 3rd party iPhone apps to be possible in such villages. At some point in the future, technology may make pure communism pheasible. But until then, you just might have to pay for goods and services, even in what are now considered communist nations. How's that for common sense?
  • Reply 142 of 151
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    How difficult is the iPhone SDK to use? I would love to try throwing together a small interactive program (better looking than an interactive QT movie) but don't know if I should jump in. I studied BASIC over 2 decades ago and can barely remember any of it.
  • Reply 143 of 151
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

You seem genuinely offended by the exchange of goods except through charity. Keep in mind that the only time true 100% communism has worked in all of recorded human history, is in small and isolated socio-economic units such as remote villages. To prefer that lifestyle is perfectly reasonable, but you shouldn't expect things like 3rd party iPhone apps to be possible in such villages. At some point in the future, technology may make pure communism pheasible. But until then, you just might have to pay for goods and services, even in what are now considered communist nations. How's that for common sense?

Why is it USAians get all defensive whenever the standard rules of capitalism are challenged and describe anyone giving stuff away as some kind of communist plot to undermine the state? I've never understood the insecurity. Grow up, it's not the 1950s anymore.

Giving stuff away isn't communism, it's altruism or philanthropy. Communism has nothing to do with giving stuff away. In a communist society you work for AND GET PAID BY the state and everything you produce is the property of the state. WTF has that got to do with writing free software and giving it away?

So what political ideology do you ascribe Apple's single store that they control to? It's certainly not the workers controlling the means of distribution.
  • Reply 144 of 151
    wnursewnurse Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Another misleading article title. "Pushing" is not the same as "encouraging".

Besides, it makes a lot of sense to offer both a free and a for-pay version of all apps. The paid version could include customer support and additional features.

It helps separate the wheat from the chaff quicker, and it also would be a positive for app developers hoping to sell their company if they can clearly point to earnings as a metric, not just free downloads.

Actually, it can be the same. Pushing is just an aggressive form of encouraging.

Heck, if I put a gun to your head and **encouraged** you to withdraw your money and give it to me, that is still encouraging.

I think the word pushing was used to indicate that the effort is aggressive and not passive.

if someone got on the phone with you constantly to do something, that is more than encouraging.

Nice of apple though to encourage developers to make a profit. Maybe they would encourage the music companies to charge as much as they want so they too can make whatever profits they want (after all, apple does get a percentage)...

(yes that was sarcasm)..

gee, what next.. apple "encouraging" developers to only charge a specific amount for their apps?.. where does it end?
  • Reply 145 of 151
    Apple was blasting the music companies for wanting to charge consumers more but now, it's ok for them to encourage developers to charge consumers more?. The music companies also have to pay a percentage to apple.. wow, it was evil for them to want to charge so they could make what they thought was enough to give them the profits they wanted and also cover apple percentage.. now that the shoe is on the other foot.. now that apple is the one that wants to cover it cost, they want to charge the consumer more (i don't know about you all.. but even paying 1 cent for an app is more than free). How disingenuous.

Where are the mac diehards to call out apple?. BTW, i support apple in this move. I always thought the music companies should be allowed to charge what the market will bear (ie, they should be allowed to raise their prices and if no one bought their music, they would be forced to lower it.. but having an omnipotent company dictate their prices, i hated that). So yes, i have to be fair, apple should be allowed to make as much as they want. I am just curious where all the people that were blasting the music companies as greedy.. where are you?. How come apple can decide to make a profit (i guarantee you that apple will never state that the profit they make is too much.. whatever it is, it will always be about right). The music companies, they had to justify their profits.. apple, they don't. Everyone is clapping cause apple wants to make more money. The fact that they get a percentage from each iphone sale, that is not enough, no, it's ok for them now to want to maximize their platform and you all are clapping like jackasses?. You hypocrites make me sick.
  • Reply 146 of 151
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    I'm honestly shocked by the amount of contempt some of you seem to have for free apps and their developers.
  • Reply 147 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

I'm honestly shocked by the amount of contempt some of you seem to have for free apps and their developers.

Like animal farm, Apple attempted to create a utopian computer society but soon, the head pig (ie Steve Jobs) became much worse than the overlords (Bill Gates) he is attempting to overthrow. Notice how all the animals (or apple fanatics) do not realize what is happening. Soon, they will wake up to a future where a Apple tells them how much to pay for a song, if and when to pay for an app, whether an app can be free or not, etc. Long live our master, Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 148 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Giving stuff away isn't communism, it's altruism or philanthropy.

That is a very good point.

Altruism should have been included in my rebuttal to pmcd, rather than focusing solely on communism. If you read back through his assertions, I think you'll find both topics are applicable to his promotion of a profit-less iPhone Apps "market".

But keep in mind that the underlying purpose of communism is quite altruistic. They are highly related concepts. Both philanthropy and communism provide to those who would otherwise be without, if reliant completely on a capitalistic market.

On a side note: Please don't turn this into a nationalistic bickering contest. By doing so, you made false assumptions about my beliefs and preceded to argue against your own strawman. Hint: I am not in love with American capitalism and don't hate the Chinese flavor of communism.
  • Reply 149 of 151
    Quote:

Where's the contempt? I must have missed it.

Some people in this thread have espoused the benefits of commercial software and expressed their preference for it. This shouldn't be interpreted as contempt for free software.
  • Reply 150 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Where's the contempt? I must have missed it.

Some people in this thread have espoused the benefits of commercial software and expressed their preference for it. This shouldn't be interpreted as contempt for free software.

All over the first two pages. I stopped reading after that.
  • Reply 151 of 151
    Quote:

All over the first two pages. I stopped reading after that.

You mean the one post in all CAPS? That troll got you good.