Emigration - leaving the UK

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    mr_zebramr_zebra Posts: 85member
    My partner and I are of the same mind. I've had enough of the increasing government surveillance and control in our lives.

We're thinking of moving to Hong Kong in a few years - he's originally from there and I've always wanted to go.

I want to go. While we're still allowed to.
  • Reply 22 of 64
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    I find it a little odd that you're sick of government surveillance and controll of people's lives so wanna move to ... China Isn't that kind of out of the frying pan into the fire?
  • Reply 23 of 64
    Yes, so what does that tell you? :P

Actually, HK is a Special Admin Region, meaning they effectively have their own government, laws etc. It was proposed as the "One Country, Two Systems" idea when the UK's lease on HK was over. The only things the PRC really handle is national defense and immigration. I can live with that.

In the UK, we are one of the most watched populaces on the face of the planet and there's a definite atmosphere of fear and promotion of irrational suspicion. In evidence, i quote those ridiculous posters that are all over London, urging the public to report people they see taking photos, using mobile phones, or neighbours acting "out of the ordinary".

As a photographer, I find the photography ones the most ludicrous. If a terrorist is taking photos for the purpose of information gathering, they're not going to be doing it in an obvious fashion with a Nikon D3 and a giant lens, are they?

But as a resident of the UK, the ones I've been told about encouraging people to report "out of the ordinary" neighbours worry me. V for Vendetta... here we come.
  • Reply 24 of 64
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    The UK is fine. You just need to move further away from the influence of London. That just kind of sucks the life out of the country.
  • Reply 25 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr_zebra View Post

Actually, HK is a Special Admin Region, meaning they effectively have their own government, laws etc. It was proposed as the "One Country, Two Systems" idea when the UK's lease on HK was over. The only things the PRC really handle is national defense and immigration. I can live with that.

Yea I know all that I just don't actually believe it.
  • Reply 26 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

Yea I know all that I just don't actually believe it.

My partner has many years experience of living there. He says nothing major really changed after the handover from the UK to the PRC in July 1997, though for a while up to it people were VERY apprehensive, but there wasn't actually any change to personal freedoms or the way of life. In many ways, by some accounts, it got better.

Actually, there's an interesting experiment going on in HK just now. By 2017, the populace will be able to elect their legislature. If that's successful, then by 2027, they will be able to elect the Chief Executive (the person who runs HK, current appointed by the PRC).

I currently live in Glasgow, and I think if Scotland gains independence, there's the possibility I'll stay here because then there will be some semblance of hope. However, with the way things are, I see a march towards totalitarianism getting worse every day. If it's not people stopped getting on planes because they have a picture of a gun on their shirt (cos we all know thats how terrorists are getting firearms on planes), it's bullshit tax plans that are designed to worst hit people who earn less, meanwhile simultaneously EVERYTHING in everyday life being taxed (now there's talk of taxing bags from the supermarket!).

I agree things are much worse in London. If they wanted to film a sequel to V for Vendetta or 1984, they need not change anything. The stage is already set. Glasgow seems much more free though I saw a protest being broken up recently by police... on instructions from people from the Church of Scientology who were unhappy a protest was taking place. Free speech and the right to peaceful demonstration? I don't think so.

I don't know how longer my patience will hold out.
  • Reply 27 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarcUK View Post

I've had enough and seen enough. The UK is well and truly fucked, ....

You mean Proper Fucked?
  • Reply 28 of 64
    Quote:

In the UK, we are one of the most watched populaces on the face of the planet and there's a definite atmosphere of fear and promotion of irrational suspicion. In evidence, i quote those ridiculous posters that are all over London, urging the public to report people they see taking photos, using mobile phones, or neighbours acting "out of the ordinary".

As a photographer, I find the photography ones the most ludicrous. If a terrorist is taking photos for the purpose of information gathering, they're not going to be doing it in an obvious fashion with a Nikon D3 and a giant lens, are they?

But as a resident of the UK, the ones I've been told about encouraging people to report "out of the ordinary" neighbours worry me. V for Vendetta... here we come.

That reminds me of the movie Children Of Men. Not too far off, huh?
  • Reply 29 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by His Dudeness View Post

That reminds me of the movie Children Of Men. Not too far off, huh?

Exactly. A phenomenal amount of people leave the UK (and indeed, the European Union) every year. It probably won't be long until they wake up to that and simply prevent us from leaving.
  • Reply 30 of 64
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

I really disagree - you think Atlanta is the same as Seattle? Colorado the same as Florida? New Jersey the same as Texas? No way.

I didn't say same, I said pretty much indistinguishable. And guess what: they are. There aren't immediately obvious cultural differences between any of them (aside from some people having a drawl); you'd need background knowledge. After a while you might notice different chains and after even longer, maybe varying levels of different political attitudes.
  • Reply 31 of 64
    Quote:

My partner has many years experience of living there. He says nothing major really changed after the handover from the UK to the PRC in July 1997, though for a while up to it people were VERY apprehensive, but there wasn't actually any change to personal freedoms or the way of life. In many ways, by some accounts, it got better.

Actually, there's an interesting experiment going on in HK just now. By 2017, the populace will be able to elect their legislature. If that's successful, then by 2027, they will be able to elect the Chief Executive (the person who runs HK, current appointed by the PRC).

Yea as far as he knows everything is great. Waiting patiently for more freedom in 2027 sounds like a utopia.
  • Reply 32 of 64
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

really, its not welcome to Earth, its welcome to America.

America, closely being caught up by the UK, is the most vile, greedy, selfish country on this Earth. I dont want anything to do with either.

If im being naive in this estimation, and I find every other place to be the same, I would rather die on the road looking for something I believe in, than be a part of the scum.

Obviously, you haven't done much traveling. Maybe you've been to the happy nations in continental europe that can afford to protect their economies because they don't have to pay for defense or disaster protection (US & UK do it for them), but you've never been anywhere outside of these lucky nations. If I'm wrong and you have ventured beyond, it's clear you've had your head in the sand the whole way. The further you get away from dependence on the US, the further you get away from modernity. Maybe that's what you're seeking, maybe you can be satisfied by the pleasant nothings of continental western europe, or maybe a culture reversal in the far east is what you crave. But, nonetheless, there's no way to have it all.
  • Reply 33 of 64
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by giant View Post

I didn't say same, I said pretty much indistinguishable. And guess what: they are. There aren't immediately obvious cultural differences between any of them (aside from some people having a drawl); you'd need background knowledge. After a while you might notice different chains and after even longer, maybe varying levels of different political attitudes.

Midwinter was talking about "which side of the road you drive on" and stuff - the cultural differences between, say, New Orleans and Salt Lake City are much more profound than any of the things he listed except language. And English gets pretty different in the south - when I first moved here I absolutely could not figure out a lot of the stuff that they were saying. "Libbity Faomiga" is "Liberty Farm and Garden Store", and "Waggado" is "Walker Auto Parts".

We have the same currency, but so does Europe. I think that the US is about as culturally diverse as the EU.
  • Reply 34 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Midwinter was talking about "which side of the road you drive on" and stuff - the cultural differences between, say, New Orleans and Salt Lake City are much more profound than any of the things he listed except language.

Not really. Sure, there's more poverty in New Orleans, but it's not remarkably different (or even at all noticeably different) than many neighborhoods here in Chicago. The french quarter has some weird architecture near the bars, but not quite like the difference between, say, an Italian town on the Mediterranean and London.

I've been in Salt Lake City multiple times and it looks *exactly* like every other US city its size, so much so that it frequently comes to mind as an example of bland Americana.

Quote:

And English gets pretty different in the south - when I first moved here I absolutely could not figure out a lot of the stuff that they were saying.

I spent a good chunk of my late teens in the southern US, primarily Louisiana, Georgia and Texas, most of that time traveling off the beaten path. Beyond the drawl, substantial language differences weren't particularly noticeable and were never beyond what I encounter with any slang in any city. I understand there is the extreme example of a minority in louisiana who speak creole (wikipedia says 0.24% at home), but it's an example of the exception in the "nine times out of ten," assuming you even encounter it while you're there.
  • Reply 35 of 64
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

But they all are pretty much the same. I've moved almost all the way across the country, and in all three states I've lived in, everyone has spoken English as the primary language, used the same currency, had the same laws and government structure. They've all had the same stripmalls and supermarkets and steering wheels on the same side of the car and drove on the same side of the road.

I would suggest you come down to So Cal. I haven't been asked for pesos yet, but I have conducted entire transactions in Spanish. I'm not talking about neighborhood stores, I'm talking Walmart.
  • Reply 36 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I would suggest you come down to So Cal. I haven't been asked for pesos yet, but I have conducted entire transactions in Spanish. I'm not talking about neighborhood stores, I'm talking Walmart.

Happens here in Chicago. And Texas. Florida. Still strip malls, supermarkets, chain stores, subdivisions, etc, in those areas too.

The US has some beautiful swaths, nature-wise, but culturally it's largely consistent.
  • Reply 37 of 64
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

The three languages of the next century are Chinese, Spanish and English. One should have a functional command of at least two of those.
  • Reply 38 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The three languages of the next century are Chinese, Spanish and English. One should have a functional command of at least two of those.

Slightly OT: something I've noticed recently is that some of the most interesting business schools are in the spanish speaking world (there are three top-ranking business schools in Barcelona alone) and there are a notable number of international spanish speaking students in top-tier US business schools. I wouldn't look at the US to see who will be benefiting from that trend.
  • Reply 39 of 64
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Is there a good online resource for learning spanish?
  • Reply 40 of 64
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Is there a good online resource for learning spanish?

Not sure. You could always try these (top 3) podcasts on iTunes:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=201598403

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=170271930

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=115018357