Emigration - leaving the UK

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 64
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zelie View Post

Marc, do you speak any european languages apart from English? If you don't, it will make getting a job harder but not impossible.

I'm in a similar situation to yours. I feel that the UK has gradually turned into an orwellian nightmare especially over the last 5-6 years. I could write an essay on all the ways our quality of life has gone down the toilet but I see no need for it. Everyone who travels a little can see the UK has become one of the worst places to work and live in western europe.

I'm taking the plunge next month and I haven't got a job lined up yet. However I'm taking £10,000 with me so I have something to fall back on should things go pear-shaped. The only advice I can give you is do it now if you have the cash saved up. A lot of my friends and acquaintances have already left the UK and not a single one has regretted it. If you don't have the cash (I'd say take £5000 minimum), then start saving up and try to get fluent in Spanish or whichever language interests you most.

Cool!, how are you leaving? plane, car, camper...

I was hoping to go by camper, I've been looking into it, but its a major PITA. You cannot get insurance unless you have a UK address, have to come back every year to get Taxed and MOTed, I dont want that. There must be a better way! Perhaps buy a camper whilst over there? Drive down in my car and get an apartment.

Will be learning spanish, and as you say £10000 is a sensible target i've set myself to have purely in cash. But what do you do with it? Leave it in a UK bank? Transfer it to a European bank, take it in cash?

BTW where are you going?
  • Reply 62 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zelie View Post

I will also miss the we-know-where-you-live-and-you-can't-escape-from-us ads from the DVLA and the council tax

I know them all to well, quite chilling aren't they - not in what it says, but how they say it. reminds me of 1960's KGB.
  • Reply 63 of 64
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarcUK View Post

I know them all to well, quite chilling aren't they - not in what it says, but how they say it. reminds me of 1960's KGB.

Is it still legal to wear a hoodie while watching a TV show in England?
  • Reply 64 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

Is it still legal to wear a hoodie while watching a TV show in England?

As im not the owner of either, i wouldn't know.

However I wouldn't ban hoodies or TV - like free speech lets everyone with a brain know who the idiots are - Hoodies and couch potatoes let me know who should generally be avoided.