Apple seeds iPhone build 5A331, OS X 10.6 build 10A96, Safari 4

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smack416 View Post

FYI: Activity Monitor in 10.5 already notes which apps are 64 bit. Last.fm's iScrobbler is noted as: Intel (64 bit). It's also noted as taking up far too much of my RAM, but that's another story.

Ah, I didn't have a single app say 64-bit.. Not one did. At least we know that they ahave started to change processes over.

I checked the applications list and all but a few have been updated in some way. BootCamp Assistant has been moved to 2.1 to 3.0.. I wonder if they will finally support having more than one partition and allowing Linux as an option.
  • Reply 22 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

No move? Why don't you compare Leopard's Activity Monitor window with the one posting, there's one major difference which looks to me like the beginnings of the removal of Aqua widgets to me.

What difference is that? I see absolutely no difference there.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What difference is that? I see absolutely no difference there.

The process-filter dropdown menu now matches the UI appearance introduced in Leopard.

It would be nice if Apple would offer a unified UI in 10.6. As it stands now, the remaining widgets that have remained largely unchanged since 2000 look terribly out of place.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoctorGonzo View Post

The process-filter dropdown menu now matches the UI appearance introduced in Leopard.

Good catch!
  • Reply 25 of 44
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

The rumors said yes, but the info trickling in makes it look like PPC is still supported. Someone with the release should be able to confirm it for sure soon.

Perhaps this 32-bit / 64-bit distinction means G4s will get axed, but G5s will remain? Or us G4 folks might be safe for a tad longer . . .
  • Reply 26 of 44
    esxxiesxxi Posts: 75member
    Quote:

It would be nice if Apple would offer a unified UI in 10.6. As it stands now, the remaining widgets that have remained largely unchanged since 2000 look terribly out of place.

That's just because toolbar buttons all use the same matte metal look, so it makes sense to introduce a drop down field for applications that need one so they match. Don't expect Aqua-gloss buttons to be disappearing anytime soon.

(And they're not called "widgets", no UI element is called that.)
  • Reply 27 of 44
    leafyleafy Posts: 34member
    I used to use

Code:

defaults write com.apple.Safari TargetedClicksCreateTabs -bool true

to force every new link to be opened in a Tab in the current Window in Safari. With Safari 4 DP, this no longer works.
  • Reply 28 of 44
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:

I see what you mean and agree. I think they'd better make the scroll bars as used in the iLife suite as a default across the UI. The Aqua scroll bars look out of place under the Leopard matte grey tool bars and window headers. Making the scroll bars and Aqua buttons grey in the preferences instead of blue does help though imo.
  • Reply 29 of 44
    dr9553dr9553 Posts: 2member
    The developer preview of safari 4 on leopard is fast as can be. thank god... i like it so far. no issues.
  • Reply 30 of 44
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:

Ah, I didn't have a single app say 64-bit.. Not one did. At least we know that they ahave started to change processes over.

I checked the applications list and all but a few have been updated in some way. BootCamp Assistant has been moved to 2.1 to 3.0.. I wonder if they will finally support having more than one partition and allowing Linux as an option.

If you want to check it out, the two 64 bit apps most mac users will have are Chess and Xcode. I think Activity Monitor only shows 64 bit on intel boxes, on my G5 it still says 32 even though it seems like it's running in 64.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

Perhaps this 32-bit / 64-bit distinction means G4s will get axed, but G5s will remain? Or us G4 folks might be safe for a tad longer . . .

Either one is a possibility. I'm surprised someone hasn't passed on what it says in the release notes. Otherwise, someone will try installing it on a G4 or G5 and see what happens.

Just found this, looks like it might be intel only if this is real...but if that's the case, then why would all the apps say universal?

• Reply 31 of 44
    Quote:

Just found this, looks like it might be intel only if this is real...but if that's the case, then why would all the apps say universal?

Nice find, and that is the best evidence that it will drop PPC support but keep 32-bit Intel.

The apps say Universal because their code still supports the other architectures. Some will certainly change others may stay UB for awhile.
  • Reply 32 of 44
    Quote:

Nice find, and that is the best evidence that it will drop PPC support but keep 32-bit Intel.

The apps say Universal because their code still supports the other architectures. Some will certainly change others may stay UB for awhile.

These are virtually all new builds of these apps. Why compile and distribute them universal with an OS that only runs on intel?
  • Reply 33 of 44
    Quote:

These are virtually all new builds of these apps. Why compile and distribute them universal with an OS that only runs on intel?

They are new builds, but they may not have gotten around to cleaning out the old code. Or maybe they see no reason to many apps as they can still be copied and used across different systems. Whatever the answer, the "Intel Processor" requirement is the best evidence we have right now.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    Quote:

They are new builds, but they may not have gotten around to cleaning out the old code. Or maybe they see no reason to many apps as they can still be copied and used across different systems. Whatever the answer, the "Intel Processor" requirement is the best evidence we have right now.

While there's probably some PPC specific stuff in the code itself, for the most part the two builds come from checking two boxes in the compiler. To leave out the PPC code, they just have to uncheck the PPC box in Xcode. And I can't imagine they'd want to encourage people to take 10.6 versions of system apps and drag them over to boxes running 10.5. It makes no sense that they wouldn't do that and save time and space on the install disks and hard drives.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by leafy View Post

I used to use

Code:

defaults write com.apple.Safari TargetedClicksCreateTabs -bool true

to force every new link to be opened in a Tab in the current Window in Safari. With Safari 4 DP, this no longer works.

The command is in the .PLIST file but it's not working. I tried everything I could think of and checked to see if there were any other options available. Hopefully the next update fixes it.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    omg people, this is like the Beta of Beta. Apple didn't even put the graphical changes yet. You build the foundation first and then make the house pretty.

Im happy that they had some sort of Differentiation from Leopard. "Snow Leopard" will look very settle and stable. LOVE IT!

It's just a start!
  • Reply 37 of 44
    stokessdstokessd Posts: 103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

What isn't available in Safari that you want to see? Which plugins?

Safari isn't supposed to be a Cadillac. It's supposed to be a sports car. It's supposed to be lightweight and fast. That's the way I like it. I don't want cup holders.

Safari isn't even competing with Firefox...and doesn't have to.

Safari has them in some form, but plugins like adblock pro, flashblock, and noscript are key to me using the browser.

Frankly with the limited bandwidth and processor of the iPhone, something like adblock is even more important there. No I do NOT want to punch the monkey...

Sheldon
  • Reply 38 of 44
    According to the WebKit website development of SquirrelFish has ended. I guess that means they've got a stable enough build to move into the nightly WebKit builds.

They did something similiar with a previous development cycle for Feature Branch, which may be Qt (but I'm not certain). That appears to have more than doubled the size of the nightly WebKit builds from about 6MB to 15MB.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    WebKit builds have been > 14 MB starting with r27031 on 2007-10-25, when Leopard (in addition to Tiger) was included.
  • Reply 40 of 44
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stokessd View Post

Safari has them in some form, but plugins like adblock pro, flashblock, and noscript are key to me using the browser.

Frankly with the limited bandwidth and processor of the iPhone, something like adblock is even more important there. No I do NOT want to punch the monkey...

Sheldon

You won't have to punch the monkey because iPhone has the best adblocker ever, no Flash support.