Official: Mac OS X Snow Leopard doesn't support PowerPC Macs

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Documentation included with copies of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard distributed during Apple's developer conference this week confirm that the next-generation operating system does not presently support Macs with PowerPC processors.



LogicielMac.com has published a screen capture of the PDF-based requirements document included on the Snow Leopard disc that provides a rundown of the system's requirements.



The documentation states that in order to install Snow Leopard, developers must have a Mac computer with "an Intel processor" and at least 512MB of RAM, though additional memory is recommended for development purposes.



The findings confirm an AppleInsider report from last September, which cited people familiar with the ongoing development of Leopard as saying that Mac OS X 10.6 would in all likelihood exclude support for PowerPC processors.



According to the Snow Leopard documentation, the new system will also require an Apple-supplied video card, 9GB of hard disk space, and either an internal, external or shared DVD drive.
«1345678

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 160
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Wow! Its official.



    Now watch as all the complaints from G5 users stream in.



    I agree with the move, however.
  • Reply 2 of 160
    doughboydoughboy Posts: 47member
    Is it possible that this particular build of 10.6 isn't fully compatible with PowerPC Macs, and that official support will be added in future builds?
  • Reply 3 of 160
    kbsbemekbsbeme Posts: 25member
    For get the Intel v. PPC question. The only Apple-specific requirement is:



    - Display connected to an Apple-supplied video card



    Connected with the missing "Mac" on the OS X banners, does this open the way for other PC manufacturers to offer OS X on their machines?
  • Reply 4 of 160
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoughBoy View Post


    Is it possible that this particular build of 10.6 isn't fully compatible with PowerPC Macs, and that official support will be added in future builds?



    In the past, requirements like this have not varied much from the developer builds to the release. All the evidence points to the end of PowerPC support w/ 10.6.



    K
  • Reply 5 of 160
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoughBoy View Post


    Is it possible that this particular build of 10.6 isn't fully compatible with PowerPC Macs, and that official support will be added in future builds?



    Yes! Its absolutely possible. This "It's Official" stuff is pure crap. It will only be official when Apple announces that Snow Leopard is Intel only. Right now a developers preview first release working on Intel only is not good enough evidence in my mind.
  • Reply 6 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post


    You're reading too much into that I think. Its basically saying that it only has drivers for Apple hardware, so that third party GFX card you installed in your Mac Pro won't work.



    I'm not sure how relevant it is to this speculation, but the iPhone SDK is Intel only.
  • Reply 7 of 160
    boogabooga Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoughBoy View Post


    Is it possible that this particular build of 10.6 isn't fully compatible with PowerPC Macs, and that official support will be added in future builds?



    It's possible but unlikely. Apple rarely builds more support in over a development cycle than is initially available, even when they've promised to do so. They usually just end up narrowing the scope as release nears and cut the features entirely. By the time Snow Leopard is released in a year, it will be even less relevant than it is right now.
  • Reply 8 of 160
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kbsbeme View Post


    For get the Intel v. PPC question. The only Apple-specific requirement is:



    - Display connected to an Apple-supplied video card



    Connected with the missing "Mac" on the OS X banners, does this open the way for other PC manufacturers to offer OS X on their machines?



    You're reading too much into that I think. Its basically saying that it only has drivers for Apple hardware, so that third party GFX card you installed in your Mac Pro won't work.
  • Reply 9 of 160
    irelandireland Posts: 17,686member
    Well you know what to do if you want to run Snow Leo when it comes along then guys? Get an Intel Mac. If you don't want it then I don't see an issue with sticking with Leopard.
  • Reply 10 of 160
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    It's a PREVIEW. It's not a beta, not even an alpha version. It isn't even a complete build of Mac OS X. A few files have been "snowed", so the developers can have a taste of it and can start playing with it and their apps. The current requierements are and will be subject to change.
  • Reply 11 of 160
    guestguest Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post


    Wow! Its official.



    Now watch as all the complaints from G5 users stream in.



    I agree with the move, however.



    Yeah, well.

    After they acquired PA Semi I was hoping the PowerPC would stay in, or even end this unfortunate Intel alliance!
  • Reply 12 of 160
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 618member
    bad for edu and xserve. lots of g5s recent in both ecosystems
  • Reply 13 of 160
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Oh Kasper, you REALLY screwed up on this one.



    Developer Previews *USUALLY* run on a subset of the final supported hardware. It's a *PREVIEW*. The fact that PPC isn't mentioned means nothing about what the final shipping product may or may not support.



    'Official' may get the clicks, but you really biffed it. It's speculation, nothing more. Jeez.
  • Reply 14 of 160
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    I See no valid reason why they would remove PPC support only to add it later on. As of right now, we have an official specification list from Apple that states "Intel only." We don't have to wait for JObs to say it on stage before it becomes canon.



    Wrong. The early Rhapsody builds, the Dev Previews handed out at WWDC, required certain *models* of Macs to run on. This is normal. They haven't *removed* PPC support, it's that, to minimize their testing at this point in time, they haven't *done* PPC support. They simply turned it off. Checkbox in Xcode.
  • Reply 15 of 160
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post


    Yes! Its absolutely possible. This "It's Official" stuff is pure crap. It will only be official when Apple announces that Snow Leopard is Intel only. Right now a developers preview first release working on Intel only is not good enough evidence in my mind.



    I See no valid reason why they would remove PPC support only to add it later on. As of right now, we have an official specification list from Apple that states "Intel only." We don't have to wait for JObs to say it on stage before it becomes canon.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    If you don't want it then I don't see an issue with sticking with Leopard.



    The problem is that many people feel their current system is now not worth using even though Apple continues to supply updates to the OS. If they want to have a "me first" attitude then you have to pony up the money for being an early adopter and not bitch about getting less tested HW and SW.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guest View Post


    Yeah, well.

    After they acquired PA Semi I was hoping the PowerPC would stay in, or even end this unfortunate Intel alliance!



    There is nothing unfortunate about the move to Intel.
  • Reply 16 of 160
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    I See no valid reason why they would remove PPC support only to add it later on. As of right now, we have an official specification list from Apple that states "Intel only." We don't have to wait for JObs to say it on stage before it becomes canon.



    We only have an specification list for the Developer Preview though, not Snow Leopard itself. I personally won't believe it until its listed on the Apple Snow Leopard page that its Intel only, anything up to then is speculation only. Apple could well have their reasons for limiting the DP to Intel only right now after all, we don't know their internal process.
  • Reply 17 of 160
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post


    Wrong. The early Rhapsody builds, the Dev Previews handed out at WWDC, required certain *models* of Macs to run on. This is normal. They haven't *removed* PPC support, it's that, to minimize their testing at this point in time, they haven't *done* PPC support. They simply turned it off. Checkbox in Xcode.



    Your story does show precedence, but I hope you are wrong this time.



    Though it's hard to argue with a psychic who is replying to your posts before you even make them. What's up with timestamps AI?
  • Reply 18 of 160
    joedrcjoedrc Posts: 86member
    So the integrated graphics card in my MacBook? Will I be able to run 10.6?
  • Reply 19 of 160
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JoeDRC View Post


    So the integrated graphics card in my MacBook? Will I be able to run 10.6?



    It'll work fine as it's "supplied" by Apple when you purchased you MB.
  • Reply 20 of 160
    I'm a G5 user, but I won't complain. (I will complain if CS4 leaves G5's behind, however.) But I am a bit surprised. After all the trouble to make the OS more chipset-agnostic, why bother to leave the G5s behind so quickly?



    Seems a little blatantly hardware sales-driven, on one hand, but a ways down the line on the other, thankfully.
Sign In or Register to comment.