App Store has size and price caps, opening with iPhone 3G

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 68
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

everything will always be priced one cent or one dollar BELOW an even number. it's psychological. even though we SEE $2.99 and SAY three bucks, our instinctual "blink" process sees $2.99 as much cheaper than $3.00, or a car that's $19,999 as much cheaper than $20,000.

Yeah, there are many examples of that same disconnect between our experience of reality and actual reality. Many tests show that $x.99 makes a difference, so we will continue to get it.

Gambling is probably the best (or worst!) example. Rationally we simply wouldn't gamble - but we go for the chance. We create many beliefs to support that too - such as if I guessed right for the first 5 that I'm on a roll and will continue to guess right. We also know that the chance of 6 consecutive numbers winning the lottery is remote (1,2,3,4,5,6)... but mistakenly believe that a random group of numbers has more chance. Rationally understanding the odds doesn't affect our gut feelings in the slightest.

We also can't imagine "not" or "maybe" in the same way as we imagine something. eg: "Don't imagine the colour yellow". If we're asked to compare "definitely having $10,000 vs a chance of $90,000" we imagine 10k vs 90k (we leave out the "chance" in our gut feelings).

I note you described our brain as 'stupid', I don't agree with that. But it does work quite differently to what we rationally know. Unfortunately we aren't taught to take advantage of how our mind works to make decisions (for example, we rationally can only hold a very limited amount of information (5-9 pieces at most) but our internal imagery of our world has far greater capacity and can make better decisions if the question is posed correctly.
  • Reply 62 of 68
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    Someone has mentioned that the VAT is correctly integrated - I just checked the Australian GST and it's also integrated.

eg: Tier 3 is A$3.99 in Australia, which means A$2.794 (ie 70%) for the developer - but those prices include our 10% GST. Remove that 10% and you get A$2.54 (ie A$2.54 + 25c = A$2.79)

Not vouching for the price list's validity, but quite some trouble has gone into it.

ps. it's a pity that Apple still marks up our Aussie prices. A developer gets US$2.38 on Tier 3 apps sold here, or US$2.10 on Tier 3 sold in the US. It starts adding up with more expensive items.
  • Reply 63 of 68
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

Experience some profound joy!

Tiny Luxembourg brings iPhone country count to 75

Congratulations, Luxembourg!
  • Reply 64 of 68
    Looks like AI got served with takedown notices for posting those images, though they screwed up again. Those takedown e-mails clearly say "NOT FOR POSTING" which would indicate that they are not meant to be posted publicly.

Expect further notices to follow.
  • Reply 65 of 68
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PersonMan View Post

Looks like AI got served with takedown notices for posting those images, though they screwed up again. Those takedown e-mails clearly say "NOT FOR POSTING" which would indicate that they are not meant to be posted publicly.

Expect further notices to follow.

• Reply 66 of 68
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
  • Reply 67 of 68
    mrparetmrparet Posts: 18member
    How do you destroy intellectual information?
  • Reply 68 of 68
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrparet View Post

How do you destroy intellectual information?

Shred your brain.