iPhone 3G buyers may be able to complete activation at home

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    rmm221rmm221 Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dm3 View Post

Family plans are the same as the current family plans for their regular phones. iPhone is no longer its own special beast. The only unique thing is that you are required to get a data plan. The data plan choices are standard as well, $30 for consumer data plan, $45 for enterprise data plan.

What additional clarification are you expecting?

My contract with Verizon expires end of June... So i was planning on switching to AT&T the first of June... signing up and getting myself a free $200 phone. THEN when the IPHONE comes out July 11th.. heading over the the apple store and buying myself an IPHONE for $199.

So i get a free $200 backup phone out of AT&T without any contract extension.. well a 11 day extension. I heard the cell companies can't extend contracts beyond 2 years.. they can't tack on 2 more years and make it a 4 year contract.

Anyone else know if this is true? Will AT&T hassle me if i take advantage the way I plan to?
  • Reply 22 of 66
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

So why is AT&T being so obtuse about this?

I spoke with AT&T sales rep this past weekend. She is under the impression that even with the 75+ countries it will be sold in that there will still be a couple hundred countries that won't have direct access to it (including China and Russia) who will create the grey market again. She is also under the impression that the weakening US dollar and additional charges for exporting may make the US iPhone cheaper than the local retailers can sell them at.

I think AT&T is being paranoid, but I have not run the numbers yet to verify if that is possible.
  • Reply 23 of 66
    emulatoremulator Posts: 251member
    Quote:

Why is this fear still defining their US activation policy? Where are these 'gray markets' after Apple unleashes the iPhone in 70 countries around the globe?

When v 1.0 was released people bought them in quantities with the intent of exporting them to other countries, usually at a huge price increase. Now people can soon buy the iPhone locally in many of those same countries. The big exceptions will be Russia and China, and if someone wants to import iPhones there they will most likely buy legitimately-unlocked units in nearby countries where carrier locking is illegal. Only people with no business sense will bother buying them in the US.

Some peopel want just a phone and stay with the same provider and use on-the-go plan. they don't want to have a service provider for 2 years or pay penalties for early termination.
  • Reply 24 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rmm221 View Post

So i get a free $200 backup phone out of AT&T without any contract extension.. well a 11 day extension. I heard the cell companies can't extend contracts beyond 2 years.. they can't tack on 2 more years and make it a 4 year contract.

This is an issue with current iPhone owners on AT&T right now. We are not eligible for the subsidized rate at this point.

But you would be in a whole different class that would be financially unsound for AT&T. One, you are under a brand new contract with a subsidized phone so you aren't up for an upgrade. Chances are, you'd would have to buy your way out of your contract or you'd have to buy the iPhone in full before moving to it. My suggestion is to not take that chance.
  • Reply 25 of 66
    sunbowsunbow Posts: 67member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Prepaid and Pick Your Plan will not be allowed on the 3G device."

If you look at http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone you'll see they are offering (soon) a Pay & Go (prepaid) version of the iPhone 3G in the UK.
  • Reply 26 of 66
    I have two iPhones (family plan) and was planning to give one to my son and get the 3G for myself. However, I was reading on Engaget that you can't have both on the same plan (pricing will change) and if you try to re-register the old iPhone, it kills the cell phone and your left with an Ipod.

What gives?
  • Reply 27 of 66
    joekjoek Posts: 93member
    Quote:

This is an issue with current iPhone owners on AT&T right now. We are not eligible for the subsidized rate at this point.

this is not true. Current iPhone owners can buy the new iPhone for the $199 price.

What the other guy described won't work. If he buys a subsidized phone in June and then plans on buying the iPhone 3G, he'll run into problems.
  • Reply 28 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joek View Post

this is not true. Current iPhone owners can buy the new iPhone for the $199 price.

Do you have a source link for this? I've been told by Apple and AT&T that they have not decided how they will handle current iPhone users.
  • Reply 29 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Do you have a source link for this? I've been told by Apple and AT&T that they have not decided how they will handle current iPhone users.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/0...ref=technology

Quote:

Because the first iPhone was sold without an upfront subsidy, current users are welcome to buy a new $199 or $299 3G iPhone.

But there are catches. First, they will have to agree to the new $30-a-month data plan, replacing the $20-a-month plan associated with the first iPhone models. Also, they will then be locked into a two-year contract and, as with most subsidized cellphones, they won’t be able to upgrade to a new phone at a subsidized price until their contract nears expiration.

Note the "lock in" is typical for any subsidized phone.

also from AT&T Memo

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/...anted-to-know/

Quote:

If you are an existing iPhone customer in good standing, you will be able to extend your contract for two years when the iPhone 3G launches and get the ill-na-na $199/$299 price point. Doesn’t matter when you bought an iPhone either.

• Reply 30 of 66
    jawportajawporta Posts: 140member
    Very simple, stop the greed and sell the phone two ways. 8GB No activation = $400, activation = $200.

Done Deal. Want to hack pay more.
  • Reply 31 of 66
    rmm221rmm221 Posts: 29member
    Quote:

What the other guy described won't work. If he buys a subsidized phone in June and then plans on buying the iPhone 3G, he'll run into problems.

What problems could i run into....?

Personally... since it'd be less than 2 weeks after I purchased my "subsidized" phone... I personally think it's worth the risk. Worst case scenario.. is they'd make me return my original phone before I could purchase the IPHONE.

Don't you have 14 days to return a phone anyway to AT&T?

Until AT&T just admits that they are truly subsidizing the IPHONE to customers.. instead of "secretly" subsidizing the IPHONE... I think anyone could take advantage in the way I described above...

And it's already been announced that current IPHONE owners can upgrade to the new IPHONE for $199.

Then again, I do understand I'm taking advantage of the system AT&T set up more than they imagined possible...
  • Reply 32 of 66
    Quote:

also from AT&T Memo

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/...anted-to-know/

Excellent! The AT&T memo I read only had...
    Upgrade Eligibility and Qualified Upgrade Pricing

Upgrade eligibility will be determined based on standard upgrade eligibility rules. Customers must be upgrade eligible to receive the qualified upgrade pricing. However, not all customers will be qualified upgrades. AT&T has not determined the price of the 3G device for non-qualified upgrades.
    and not...
    "Note: When the 3G device launches, all active postpaid customers in good standing with a 2G iPhone will be eligible to receive the qualified upgrade pricing for a 3G device regardless of service tenure. (Customers that would not otherwise be eligible due to tenure will be made eligible at launch)."
  • Reply 33 of 66
    Quote:

Worst case scenario.. is they'd make me return my original phone before I could purchase the IPHONE.Don't you have 14 days to return a phone anyway to AT&T?

You can do that. But consider the potential restocking fee and/or activation fee. If you are over the return date you will be stuck one way or another, so be careful to know exactly when you have to return it by.

Quote:

Until AT&T just admits that they are truly subsidizing the IPHONE to customers.. instead of "secretly" subsidizing the IPHONE... I think anyone could take advantage in the way I described above...

There is nothing secret about it. AT&T and Apple are now using the traditional subsidization method. That has been made clear. The first iPhone used profit sharing. It's still the AT&T paying the manufacturer but the terms were different. That was made clear, we just didn't know the amount.
  • Reply 34 of 66
    -cj--cj- Posts: 58member
    Quote:

My contract with Verizon expires end of June... So i was planning on switching to AT&T the first of June... signing up and getting myself a free $200 phone. THEN when the IPHONE comes out July 11th.. heading over the the apple store and buying myself an IPHONE for $199.

Anyone else know if this is true? Will AT&T hassle me if i take advantage the way I plan to?

I'd also like to know if this is a viable plan. Does anyone have insight on this?
  • Reply 35 of 66
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    If you already have an iPhone and AT&T service, shouldn't you be able to just insert your current SIM card into the new iPhone and have it work?
  • Reply 36 of 66
    freenyfreeny Posts: 128member
    so what happens to my family plan when i get the new 3G and my wife stays on the old EDGE iPhone?
  • Reply 37 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrbofus View Post

This sentence doesn't make any grammatical sense.

A comma or two would have been nice, but it did make sense. There are some issues about the iPhone's activation procedure still up in the air.

Last week they announced that you had thirty days to authorize it or be charged an assumed full price for the device, but then there were conflicting statement that accounts had to be authorized in Apple and AT&T stores.

Quote:

Penalties if we return the phone?!?

Like with most consumer electronics, there is a restocking fee. If it's been unopened that may be waved, but if you've used it or played with it within that 30 days time frame before returned prepare to be charged 10%, though that is speculation.

Quote:

Under what circumstance would someone walk out of the store WITHOUT a phone?

I'm not sure where you interpreted that as "walking out of the store without a phone." It merely stating that Apple and AT&T may do quick tying of the phone (via the IEMI number) to your AT&T account or CC so you can leave quickly with the device and authorize it with iTunes when you get home.

This method seems easier with people who already have AT&T accounts setup. The tying to a credit card and then trying to charge double the price later on if it's not activated doesn't seem like a workable solution. So both of the methods mentioned above may in fact be true, but depend on if you already have an AT&T account or not. We shall see...
  • Reply 38 of 66
    Quote:

What problems could i run into....?

Don't you have 14 days to return a phone anyway to AT&T?

It's not a "secret" subsidy. It's an actual subsidy.

If you buy an AT&T subsidized phone, you have 14 days to return it, sure. (I don't know if there are any limitations associated with that to prevent people from repeating that multiple times.)

But, if you keep that subsidized phone for > 14 days, then you won't be eligible for a second subsidized phone until you've held that 1st phone for 24 months.
  • Reply 39 of 66
    min_tmin_t Posts: 74member
    Quote:

Why is this fear still defining their US activation policy? Where are these 'gray markets' after Apple unleashes the iPhone in 70 countries around the globe?

When v 1.0 was released people bought them in quantities with the intent of exporting them to other countries, usually at a huge price increase. Now people can soon buy the iPhone locally in many of those same countries. The big exceptions will be Russia and China, and if someone wants to import iPhones there they will most likely buy legitimately-unlocked units in nearby countries where carrier locking is illegal. Only people with no business sense will bother buying them in the US.

AT&T is a dinosaur company with a dinosaur business model. What did you expect?
  • Reply 40 of 66
    All

I have a corporate AT&T account (Premier member with FAN number). How will this affect my ability to walk in and walk out with a phone. In other words I personally cannot sign a contract obviously so wondered how this would work for those of us with these plans. My company pays for the phone line and I pickup the handset